Matthew quoted Jeremiah instead of Zechariah in Mat 27:9?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 12, 2019
Matthew 27:9: Then that which was spoken through Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled, saying, "And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of the one whose price had been set by the sons of Israel;

But it was actually written in Zechariah 11:12. (Not in Jeremiah)
Any reason Matthew referred Jeremiah instead of Zechariah?

Mar 12, 2019
Another one:
Here Mark quoted Isaiah instead of Malachi.

Mark 1:2: As it is written in Isaiah the prophet, "Behold, I send My messenger before Your face, Who will prepare Your way;
[note: the prophet name is not mentioned in KJV]

But it was actually written in Malachi (not in Isaiah)
Malachi 3:1: "Behold, I am going to send My messenger, and he will clear the way before Me...

However Isaiah has a similar verse, but Malachi match perfectly with Mark.
Isaiah 40:3: A voice is calling, "Clear the way for the Lord in the wilderness; Make smooth in the desert a highway for our God.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
As long as the information is included in the book and correct it should make no big difference, especially since we know the books were assembled by men. It is quite probably the prophets in each case did say as they are quoted however they were not included in the assembling of the Bible by men. No matter, the meaning is there regardless.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Matthew 27:9: Then that which was spoken through Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled, saying, "And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of the one whose price had been set by the sons of Israel;

Jeremiah 32:9 speak of the field

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
The opening post for this discussion doesn't seem to be in a discussion format. I copied the post and being the point appears to be Biblical contradictions, added those two words. This seems to be a discussion that is getting around. In some cases, almost word for word in places. Link to results

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The books of the Hebrew Tanakh were not grouped as those in the English Bible. Just as the Ketuvim were called "Psalms" (being the first book in that group), the minor prophets were called "Jeremiah" (being the first book in that group).

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
The opening post for this discussion doesn't seem to be in a discussion format. I copied the post and being the point appears to be Biblical contradictions, added those two words. This seems to be a discussion that is getting around. In some cases, almost word for word in places. Link to results
There seems to be a growing problem here on CC with people using someone else's Published Materials and NOT giving proper credit to the Author(s). Eventually, someone from the Admin side of things is going to have to pay attention, or CC could face some problems.

CS1

May 23, 2012
There seems to be a growing problem here on CC with people using someone else's Published Materials and NOT giving proper credit to the Author(s). Eventually, someone from the Admin side of things is going to have to pay attention, or CC could face some problems.
pla·gia·rize: take (the work or an idea of someone else) and pass it off as one's own. the context of this thread is not anew concept. This point has been made many times before the start of this thread. In chat site for one to Plagiarize and hold one to it you first have to know the person who did it. Most if not all have fake name age, location of living. Nothing here could truly be taken as such because there is no one who is establishing precedence as to this is their original thought process. When they write a point memo, essay, book, or where the writing is expected to be in citation it would be an issue. The publisher and the credentialing would be needed. There is no one on CC who has provide any such thing because it is a chat site. FACEBOOK can have a " Fact checker" because they pay people to do so. we are not paid :)

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
The opening post for this discussion doesn't seem to be in a discussion format.
Two things I noticed though, 1) the OP *does* ask "Any reason...?" (i.e. asking for input), and 2) they've been member since March 2019 and have not run off yet (nor been run off :D )

I copied the post and being the point appears to be Biblical contradictions, added those two words. This seems to be a discussion that is getting around. In some cases, almost word for word in places.
In view of what I just put above, I choose to view this as a person who has likely read such things on the Internet (sites about [supposed] "Bible Contradictions"), had genuine questions within themselves as to how to address the questions biblically (but was unable to, on their own), so brought the question/questions here to have other Christians provide insight.

Have you ever (in your experience as a Christian/believer) had questions (about the Bible) that you could not answer yourself, so brought it to another older/wiser Christian/believer to have them help you with it? I know I have. = )

JMHO. I could be way off, but that is my impression of the OP's Q's :D

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
Two things I noticed though, 1) the OP *does* ask "Any reason...?" (i.e. asking for input), and 2) they've been member since March 2019 and have not run off yet (nor been run off :D )

In view of what I just put above, I choose to view this as a person who has likely read such things on the Internet (sites about [supposed] "Bible Contradictions"), had genuine questions within themselves as to how to address the questions biblically (but was unable to, on their own), so brought the question/questions here to have other Christians provide insight.

Have you ever (in your experience as a Christian/believer) had questions (about the Bible) that you could not answer yourself, so brought it to another older/wiser Christian/believer to have them help you with it? I know I have. = )

JMHO. I could be way off, but that is my impression of the OP's Q's :D
I've certainly had questions and brought them to church friends to seek answers. My questions though I will say to my knowledge did not appear near word for word on other sites.:D

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Posts at this site does not need to be in a special format, any statement that is made is posted as a reference point for discussion.

Mar 12, 2019
and also @p_rehbein and @CS1,

The OP was inspired from another post in CC (link below), when I was cross referencing the Bible verses. [it was part of an effort to prove/verify that Jesus is Messiah, by addressing all questions related to it]

...[this is that post]...
@SoulWeaver also mentioned a link for a possible explanation (just now I noted it)
Why does Matthew 27:9 attribute the prophecy to Jeremiah when it is from Zechariah?

and the intention for the question (and most of my previous Qs) was as mentioned by @TheDivineWatermark
"... had genuine questions within themselves as to how to address the questions biblically (but was unable to, on their own), so brought the question/questions here to have other Christians provide insight."

Sorry [apologies] if my post had made any problem on CC. Next time, I would be careful not to post bible contradictions in CC [but how would I get the answer? may be google?].

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
@SoulWeaver also mentioned a link for a possible explanation (just now I noted it)
Why does Matthew 27:9 attribute the prophecy to Jeremiah when it is from Zechariah?

and the intention for the question (and most of my previous Qs) was as mentioned by @TheDivineWatermark
"... had genuine questions within themselves as to how to address the questions biblically (but was unable to, on their own), so brought the question/questions here to have other Christians provide insight."

Sorry [apologies] if my post had made any problem on CC. Next time, I would be careful not to post bible contradictions in CC [but how would I get the answer? may be google?].
What did I do to warrant such a passive aggressive response...?

Mar 23, 2016
Here are some examples from Scripture wherein prophecies were spoken as well as written:

Matthew 4:14-16 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, The land of Zabulon, and the land of Nephthalim, by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles; The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up.

Isaiah 9:1-2 Nevertheless the dimness shall not be such as was in her vexation, when at the first he lightly afflicted the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, and afterward did more grievously afflict her by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, in Galilee of the nations. The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.

Mat 8:17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.

Isaiah 53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

Matthew 12:17-21 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles. He shall not strive, nor cry; neither shall any man hear his voice in the streets. A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory. And in his name shall the Gentiles trust.

Isaiah 42:1-4 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles. He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street. A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth. He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law.

Matthew 13:35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

Psalm 78:2 I will open my mouth in a parable: I will utter dark sayings of old

Matthew 21:4-5 All this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, Tell ye the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee, meek, and sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of an ass.

Zechariah 9:9 Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.

Matthew 27:35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.

Psalm 22:18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

Sometimes there are references to that which was spoken by prophets and not written. And just because a word was spoken yet not written, this does not mean what the prophets spoke was not the Word of God ... For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost (2 Peter 1:21).

Mar 12, 2019
What did I do to warrant such a passive aggressive response...?
I think you got it wrong.
I read one of your reply regarding "30 silver coins" (from another post).
So I cross checkd the bible verses mt 27.9 and zec 11.12, and I got the question which I mentioned in the OP.
and my post raised some comments about the discussion format and Published Materials.
So I just mentioned your original reply in this post for the reference (to show them that the Qn in this post was originated from your reply on the other post, and not from any Published materials).
And I also mentioned that you provided a link for the possible explanation. Thats it.

What is so aggressive here? Did I mention anything wrong? Im really sorry if I did it.

Mar 28, 2016

I think in one way it represents that which is spoken through Jeremiah a prophet revealed in a greater light (scripture) through Zechariah. One voice.

Like the prophecy of Enoch it was revealed in Jude, by Jude . But do not have a direct quote from that prophet Enoch . The passing of the baton ( gospel)

Jude 1:14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,

In that way not everything spoken was written down. Zechariah reveals that which was spoken to Jeremiah .

If every word spoken to a prophet was written down .The whole world could not hold the volumes that could of been written.

Moses a third witness . . .the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,

Deuteronomy 33:2 And he said, The Lord came from Sinai, and rose up from Seir unto them; he shined forth from mount Paran, and he came with ten thousands of saints: from his right hand went a fiery law for them.