me being an atheist

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 4, 2009
so why are we arguing whos right and whos wrong to what i am and what category i should be in is that a really big deal not one has said "does it really matter he is still human " why do you all have the need to put me into something do you really have no hearts i only made this thread is all of you know what i was a non beliver or what ever and the poem explined some of the reason and yes the poem basically say religion is like a palcebo (fake medicine) but that doesnt mean a placebo is bad yes there are good things about religion but for me its not enough to justicfiy it. yes i have questioned with some of you but i havent gone see no prove become an athesist or what ever or heres my theroy become and athesist becuase it makes more sense i treated you like i treat every i give every1 respect i do what most for you fail to do i treat every1 like a human being is it really that hard for you to do the same

O

oopsies

yes i do im basicaly saying i dont know how the universe was made and technically no one 100% really does but if the day your god came down and showed him/her self and proved he did make the universe then obviously i would agree that he/she existed becuase hes/shes there but i chose not to follow him becuase of the things hes done and the things he told us to do (orignal bible) so i will follow my own path i know right and wrong and i know what i want to do in life im not going to change becuase he/she is a higher being
Based on the scenario above, you would still choose not to obey even if not obeying meant eternal suffering? You would be willing to place your soul in eternal suffering just to say that your morals are better than what God chooses to be moral or immoral? That is where I am confused. If I were in your shoes at that time, I would choose obedience over suffering. At the very least, I won't have to suffer any more because obedience promises no suffering, no sadness, no sickness, no death, nada except eternal joy and happiness. I mean, who cares what I think... I would've just found out that this being created everything including me. Who am I to say my "morals" are better than his?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 4, 2009
Based on the scenario above, you would still choose not to obey even if not obeying meant eternal suffering? You would be willing to place your soul in eternity just to say that your morals are better than what God chooses to be moral or immoral? That is where I am confused. If I were in your shoes at that time, I would choose obedience over suffering. At the very least, I won't have to suffer any more because obedience promises no suffering, no sadness, no sickness, no death, nada except eternal joy and happiness. I mean, who cares what I think... I would've just found out that this being created everything including me. Who am I to say my "morals" are better than his?
yes to follow my own path because its my right to my freedom. freedom does cost suffering but its worth and as there for being no suffering no sadness etc then if that was true you wouldnt be human anymore

F

FirePanther

yes to follow my own path because its my right to my freedom. freedom does cost suffering but its worth and as there for being no suffering no sadness etc then if that was true you wouldnt be human anymore
You know what Jesus said?

Jogn 8:32
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
John 8:36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

also he said:

John 8:34 Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.

before getting closer to God I thought life with God would limitate my freedom and that it would be a boring life. But I can tell you that I never felt more free than how I feel free now that I decided to follow Jesus.
Most of people who believe God is boring or that he limitates your freedom, have a concept of God that comes from very conservative religious churches that are made of rules and not of the real freedom that comes from God. Wherever Holy Spirit really is, makes thing become alive.

Anyway nice to meet you, my name is Donato ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 12, 2009
Yes, you can pray for someone without knowing their name.

Red_Tory

Jan 26, 2010
I've always found this "choice" thing to be confusing. Overall, I've found that faith - or lack of it, perhaps (I don't know) - is a conviction. Did everyone stand around and weigh the pros & cons of Christianity and then decided it offered the best "deal" and then chose it or what?

Dec 4, 2009
for people who were following this thread or were intrested in it i made a new thread that is connected to this titles "what i belive"

K

karuna

I've always found this "choice" thing to be confusing. Overall, I've found that faith - or lack of it, perhaps (I don't know) - is a conviction. Did everyone stand around and weigh the pros & cons of Christianity and then decided it offered the best "deal" and then chose it or what?
Strangely, that's one of the arguments I've heard recently - this offers the best afterlife (heaven as opposed to nirvana, not heaven as opposed to hell), so why would you not pick it?

O

oopsies

Well, everyone's situation is different. For example, I grew up with it and believed - it was easier that way but the hard lesson still happened. Other people chose it after some kind of terrible sin they've committed. At the basis of Christianity, it is God forgiving all our sins through Jesus (if you accept Jesus' sacrifice). So those people find solace and comfort in this rather than, say Buddhism where you have to do works to atone for sins which is nearly impossible - how does one know they've done enough "good?" And what if you do something wrong partway through? I guess it just doesn't make sense for them. Still, for others, Christianity is a humbling experience. All the other world religions rely on self-salvation. You do good deeds to gain salvation. Christianity is the only religion where you must humble yourself enough to admit you're a terrible person, then ask for forgiveness, and finally to accept this Jesus who died and (you would have to accept) that he was resurrected - this Jesus that you can't see, hear, or touch. To these people, it's this requirement of total humility that convinces them - all the other world religions is based on relying on oneself. Christianity is based on relying on a God and a Jesus that you can't even confirm if they're there or not. There are so many experiences that people go through. Perhaps you're going through something yourself and are curious if others have a similar experience? I'm sure people would be happy to share.

C

callthe5o

on many other websites i do have people ask me why am i an atheist this poem would explain a part of my reason to be an atheist im jus doing this so you can understand a little and so i dont have to keep repeating myself

Atheism offers nothing to me,
it never has and never will,
it doesn't make me feel good or comfort me,
it's not there for me when I'm sick or ill,
it won't intervene in my times of need or protect me from hate,
it doesn't care if I fail or succeed,
it won't wipe the tears from my eyes,
it does nothing when I have no where to run,
it won't give me wise words or advice,
it has no teaches for me to learn,
it can't show me what's bad or nice,
it's never inspired or excited anyone,
it won't help me fulfill all my goals,
it won't tell me to stop when I'm having fun,
it's never saved one single soul,
it doesn't take credit for everything I achieve,
it won't make me get down on bended knee,
it doesn't demand that I have to believe,
it won't torture me for eternity,
it won't teach me to hate or despise others,
it won't tell me what's right or wrong,
it can't tell nobody not to be lovers,
it's told no one they don't belong,
it won't make you think life is worth living,
it has nothing to offer me, that's true,
but the reason Atheism offers me nothing is because I've never asked it to,
Atheism offers nothing because it doesn't need to,
Religion promises everything because you want it to,
You don't need a Religion or to have faith,
You just want it because you need to feel safe,
I want to feel reality and nothing more,
Atheism offers me everything,
but Religion has stolen before.
hmmmmm, so that is why you are a atheist? well, this vid explains 100% why i am a christian. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp7DhyAJXQ4

F

forgivenandloved

im not going to try and convert any one becuase one i dont know how the world is created i have my theories that u can say i belive in but they could be wrong i dont have the right to convert anyone if some1 was to convert i belive it should be of there own choice and discovery and not because some else say you should because this that and the other will happen to you if you dont convert
so wouldn't you be agnostic?

Dec 4, 2009
so wouldn't you be agnostic?
no agnostic is a part of atheism apparently learn this on the athesist experience if you dont follow god but say i dont know of hes real or not then your an agonostic athesist if you say you know there is no god then your the other but they both belong to atheism its like you with your different branches of christianty but if you reall have to put me in a group i would be in the first one

N

navyairwarrior

u a true atheist? not believing in ANY power? (not even laws of nature, electricity...?)

and if you need to explain why you are an atheist, you do the same as we d, you preach atheism, your own "religion" ;)
You need to look up the definition of atheist. It simply means the person lacks a belief in any gods. Anything beyond that is a personal belief and does not speak for all atheist. It is not a religion. And what kind of wild claim is that an atheist believes in no power, not even the laws or nature. Its people like you who give us a bad name and spread hate and fear of the word.

N

navyairwarrior

Strangely, that's one of the arguments I've heard recently - this offers the best afterlife (heaven as opposed to nirvana, not heaven as opposed to hell), so why would you not pick it?
Thats Pascal's wager my friend.

O

oopsies

Its people like you who give us a bad name and spread hate and fear of the word.
We can make the same claim for ourselves with regards to Christianity. Please do refrain from sweeping generalizations. Just because someone did it, doesn't mean you have to follow.

Feb 18, 2010
In my late teens when I had numerous debates with atheists, agnostics and members of other religions my beliefs dipped into agnosticism one day. To be honest, it was a disturbing feeling believing I could die at any moment and that might very well be the end of me. The only thing agnosticism really offered me was a feeling of complete loneliness. It was profound.

Before, I could always bring God to mind and know that he was watching me or guiding me or just being a part of my life. When I slipped into agnosticism I did not accept that same knowledge. When I was alone at night all I had were the shadows and the distinct sense that nothing knew me nor wanted to know me. As far as gaining moral leverage... it never really lasted long enough for me to experiment since I was always debating and researching online.

However, if it had my morals wouldn't've changed too quickly. Besides, I had always been comfortable in my lifestyle as a Christian. It had become rather habitual. I would've been content to hold to that lifestyle. My guess is I probably would've compromised my morals slowly if life progressed and they would've been quite a bit different in my latter days.

Feb 27, 2007
on many other websites i do have people ask me why am i an atheist this poem would explain a part of my reason to be an atheist im jus doing this so you can understand a little and so i dont have to keep repeating myself

Atheism offers nothing to me,
it never has and never will,
it doesn't make me feel good or comfort me,
it's not there for me when I'm sick or ill,
it won't intervene in my times of need or protect me from hate,
it doesn't care if I fail or succeed,
it won't wipe the tears from my eyes,
it does nothing when I have no where to run,
it won't give me wise words or advice,
it has no teaches for me to learn,
it can't show me what's bad or nice,
it's never inspired or excited anyone,
it won't help me fulfill all my goals,
it won't tell me to stop when I'm having fun,
it's never saved one single soul,
it doesn't take credit for everything I achieve,
it won't make me get down on bended knee,
it doesn't demand that I have to believe,
it won't torture me for eternity,
it won't teach me to hate or despise others,
it won't tell me what's right or wrong,
it can't tell nobody not to be lovers,
it's told no one they don't belong,
it won't make you think life is worth living,
it has nothing to offer me, that's true,
but the reason Atheism offers me nothing is because I've never asked it to,
Atheism offers nothing because it doesn't need to,
Religion promises everything because you want it to,
You don't need a Religion or to have faith,
You just want it because you need to feel safe,
I want to feel reality and nothing more,
Atheism offers me everything,
but Religion has stolen before.

I'll Call my Poem Jesus is to me:

Jesus gave me everything I didnt think I needed in an instant,
He always does & He always will, we need only ask,
He is my comfort in times of sorrow my strength in times of weakness,
He is there through all my trials and healed my cousin in his time of illness,
cured from stage 4 cancer when he hadnt eaten in 55 days & was due to die any day,
When my tears are too hard to bear he always sends one of his to comfort me,
He is the Lord of my life who on the day my sons bus was rear ended by a transport truck sent me
a rainbow, beginning on one property peg and ending on the other, you can go to my
profile its there for all to see,
A rainbow is just a rainbow its for all said my husband, so he sent us a rainbow
when travelling that landed on the front of our car and remained for over 10 minutes,
My husband the rainbow sceptic could no longer deny as I weeped and drove,
He is the Lord who the night my mom died a spirit whooshed across my bed,
in praying about what that was, he is the Lord who gave me Job 4-11. I'd never
read job before and this answered that it wasnt an angel or my mom, it was the holy spirit,
sent to prepare and comfort me.
He is the Lord who sent a lady to watch my son, I thought she was a nurse, but she was not. This was in the hospital when i received the news the next morning... and sent the SAME lady 2 days later to the change room where alone I broke down, a stranger from another town who hated shopping wondering why she had the urge that morning to drive 2 hours to the city she'd just returned home from, to buy pants that she didnt really need. Then she saw me, the stranger, crying in the change room over the loss of my mom. She was his faithful servant sent by the Lord to comfort!
He is the Lord who gave me nothing can separate us from the Love of God
which is in Christ Jesus when my friends dad killed his mom & himself in his mental illness,
He is the Lord of no coincidences.
Mostly he is the Lord who forgave me! a thief, a liar, a murderer, a disgusting soul, in an instant that
was washed away, a truly spiritual thing that words could never do justice.
After that he enabled me to see my offender as a pathetic hurt little boy and cry for the him that was,
He gave me pure forgiveness in Christ and in that after several years I was able to offer total forgiveness,
Upon my heart forever is imprinted the salvation of every lost soul i meet. It is because of what
I've been forgiven in that instant that I love the Lord so very much, For he gave me everything.
I do not judge God based on the people he's called to salvation.
I used to call them hypocrites, now I call them people,
We are all failing, God is not & our failure is redeemed by Jesus Christ & I knew this in an
instant, not through biblical or world knowledge but through a single experience in a church
full of hypocrites the day I first believed.
and those beautiful hypocrites prayed with me and cared for me & validated the new found love
that i was overcome with from the inside out.

Not a rhyming poem... I was going to go verse for verse doing the contrast to what you've posted
but nah, this is more me.

Bless your heart! We dont seek to convert you, that is between you and the Lord. I just seek for you to know what the Lord has done for me & not because I in any way deserve his mercy or grace. I received the Lord 20 years ago and its been a slow steady change in my life. I used to think that being a christian would be boring or that those people well they just arent cool... How deceived I was, How deceived! The dark was right & the Light was wrong but the dark never ever fulfilled me. Praise God for the Light of the Lord Jesus Christ.

& God truly bless you. Read the words to the song amazing grace and think about them actually being imprinted upon your heart in knowledge, This IS what the Lord has done for me.

H

hvnbnd24

Just thought i would share this testimony as an EX athiest. I used to be an athiest, and a coworker of mine and me became really close friends. We began to hang out and spend a lot of time together. Eventually one day while we were watching t.v. he turned on this church service that was on t.v. he had visited this church a while back before we had met. I wasnt to happy about his choice of channel at first but i began to watch it and what i heard just made soooo much sense. Eventually we started going to the church. (this was in March of 07) and we went there three days a week for a whole month. On april 1st 07 me and my friend were in church...the pastor had just gotten finished preaching a powerful sermon about being lost. he asked if anyone would like prayer. all of a sudden i felt this power and i didnt know what was going on. it came to me to go up and give my life to God. I obeyed and before i even told the pastor what i had wanted prayer for i begin to feel the annointing of God. Tears were flowing but they werent the same tears i had cried before they were hot but they didnt hurt. i told my pastor i wanted to be saved and so he told me that all i needed to do was ask God to forgive me and confess that I believed in Christ. since that day i have NEVER been the same. I know what you are feeling and it's not so much that you dont believe it's that youre unsure. Trust me i was too, but once i started hearing the word i KNEW that God had to be real and everything in the bible was true. From that day i began to see how his word is true and it just came to life. I am not trying to preach you saved but i do hope that you will take my testimony into consideration at at least just say that youre just not sure. May God open your spiritual eyes