Meal time is family time

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lighthearted

Oct 17, 2016
We did worse than that. We found a deal on a portable fire-pit; $125 with a top and a great set of tools.

But by the time we got rid of a giant overhanging oak tree (almost 14' in circumference) so that it wouldn't catch fire, and put in what started as a tiny patio that turned into a 16'x18' with three walkways leading to it, we had a total of $5,000 invested. That was five years ago, and we have yet to sit out there at the glass table, or even light the first fire in the fire-pit.
You have the ability to take the first step to open up a great opportunity in your relationship.
Sounds like something I would take advantage of...I love a good fire...I could think of quite a few things to talk about and do with a spouse in front of a nice fire!
Seems like such a waste. :(

Last edited:

Thehappymom

Jun 13, 2017
Prayer before meals is essential as it sets the tone for what you are about to share. I agree wholeheartedly about your recommendation for family meals.
This is so true!

D

Depleted

Yes. It's great for bonding, developing table manners, listening skills, oral skills, unselfishness (because let's face it, it'd be easier to have a sandwich in your room sometimes), it can be a learning experience (a lot of our meals end up somewhere in the dictionary or google, because a debate started that must now be solved), and it's great for communication. Of course...you've got to be careful what you communicate...this is NOT the time to tell everyone that we need to call the AI person tomorrow because you think the Jersey is going into heat :rolleyes:. (And yes, we do have these kinds of awkward dinner conversations at my house...it is really rather embarrassing...)

I would encourage every family to have at least one meal together every day.
I can assure you, Jersey is going into cold now. lol

(I think "the state of New Jersey." I'm not sure if you're talking cows or cats.)

I did grow up eating at the table, and learned manners there, but one of the bad things we learned was to eat fast, because there is only a second serving for one person. (Family of five, back then, and most family-packs of meat came with six pork chops. lol) Another nickname I got was Lynnie-cow-tail, because I was always the last coming out of the barn. (Metaphorically speaking.) Two older brothers and Dad so NEVER got that extra pork chop. Worse yet, never noticed I was too full to eat it anyway. :rolleyes:

T

Tinuviel

I can assure you, Jersey is going into cold now. lol

(I think "the state of New Jersey." I'm not sure if you're talking cows or cats.)

I did grow up eating at the table, and learned manners there, but one of the bad things we learned was to eat fast, because there is only a second serving for one person. (Family of five, back then, and most family-packs of meat came with six pork chops. lol) Another nickname I got was Lynnie-cow-tail, because I was always the last coming out of the barn. (Metaphorically speaking.) Two older brothers and Dad so NEVER got that extra pork chop. Worse yet, never noticed I was too full to eat it anyway. :rolleyes:
Hehe, I'm sure it is :D

Prov910

Jan 10, 2017
Anyone got a good, simple meal time prayer? Sure, there's the old standby: God is great, God is good, and we thank him for our food. But I want to mix it up a bit. I can search the Interwebs for meal prayers, but I'm especially interested in hearing your family prayer that might not be on the Internet. (Yet!) :)

Y

Yahweh_is_gracious

Anyone got a good, simple meal time prayer? Sure, there's the old standby: God is great, God is good, and we thank him for our food. But I want to mix it up a bit. I can search the Interwebs for meal prayers, but I'm especially interested in hearing your family prayer that might not be on the Internet. (Yet!) :)
My Dad's side of the family says this one over meals:

"Bless us oh Lord for this bounty which we are about to receive through Christ, our Lord, AMEN."

I've always been partial to "rub-a-dub-dub, thanks for the grub, yea God".

...yes the second one is a joke. If you need to chew me out for it, have at it.

T

Tinuviel

We always...idk...ad libbed? Shot from the hip? composed our own? Whatever you want to call it :p. But when we went to my grandparents' house, we always said:

Come Lord Jesus, be our guest,
And let these gifts to us be blessed.
Amen.

Feb 28, 2016
partaking together, breaking-bread together, is God's Holy Will for
all of us who truly Love Him...and may I add, even when we are apart,
as long as our Hearts are in Unity, this must surely please Him...