Memory loss, saved or not

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 13, 2019
From my experience, people create hypotheticals to avoid dealing with their own reality. God doesn't deal in hypotheticals; He deals in actuals.
Like I said, these events do happen.
If you don't have an answer, move along.

G

Godsgirl83

Neither.
Do you have an answer or can you admit you don't know, because the question goes against the grain in Christianity.
I believe the story I left above about the dear elderly lady with Alzheimers provides enough of an answer.......

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
There are plenty of people I can't tell if they are "saved" or not. I am not the father and I don't know whose names are written down...basically what it comes down to with certain cases.

and @Godsgirl83 I agree...thank you so much for sharing that :)

Not often I get a post I want to double thumbs up but it did produce joy. Those are the moments I live for personally...where the Lord is.

G

Godsgirl83

There are plenty of people I can't tell if they are "saved" or not. I am not the father and I don't know whose names are written down...basically what it comes down to with certain cases.

and @Godsgirl83 I agree...thank you so much for sharing that :)

Not often I get a post I want to double thumbs up but it did produce joy. Those are the moments I live for personally...where the Lord is.
that was when she was 102.......
she lived to be 106!!!

Oct 13, 2019
I believe the story I left above about the dear elderly lady with Alzheimers provides enough of an answer.......
Not convincing to me. She could remember to eat, to shower, speak, language, etc. Remembering faith falls in that category, generally things learned in childhood remain, and as you mentioned, she was bringing up religious memories from her childhood.
You singing a Christian song could've been a trigger.
In some cases memory is not permanently lost. It's still in the brain, but her age and Alzheimers is preventing it from being accessed.
Your single experience doesn't account for all of them, including personality disorders.
Where people can be Christians in one personality, and atheist in another personality.

U

UnderGrace

From my experience, people create hypotheticals to avoid dealing with their own reality. God doesn't deal in hypotheticals; He deals in actuals.
Agree and hypotheticals never lend themselves very well to the rules of logic. ;)

U

UnderGrace

Hypothetical:

A person, 19 years old, comes to Jesus with an incredibly strong unshakable faith, fully dedicating their lives to Him.
Shortly after they are in a car accident and lose their memory from the past year.
They live a full life and pass away at age 90.

1 year of their life was lived as a true Christian.
70 years was lived without any faith or desire to come to Jesus.

Is this person saved?
Dedicating your life to Jesus does not equate to being saved.

G

Godsgirl83

Your single experience doesn't account for all of them, including personality disorders.
Where people can be Christians in one personality, and atheist in another personality.
Ah.......
but your thread TITLE is
MEMORY LOSS-Saved or not
Alzheimers is a form of memory loss.......

NOW personality disorder is entirely different from memory loss......
the OP is focusing on memory loss.......
to discuss personality disorders here would be derailing the thread from MEMORY LOSS
(and I for one, if at all possible, try not to derail a thread)

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
What about those with multiple personality disorder?
I've heard occasions where one part of someones personality is Christian, and their other personality is atheist.
The they are mentall ill. Most likely due to a traumatic event in early childhood, incest or rape. Sometimes all 3.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
that was when she was 102.......
she lived to be 106!!!

I worked in long term care as a chaplain for a few years. I saw the worst and the best of dementia and Alzheimer's.

Your story is repeated over and over. A good care giver can open someone who is not there, which you did. What came out was her love of God. Her heart has been changed by God. Losing her memory did not diminish her spirit and her love for God.

When you are born again, even if it was 90 years ago, that doesn't stop when the memories are gone.

I am so glad you were able to minister to that lady, and probably many others. That was a gift from God that you used. So much more important than hypothesizing about things that aren't real!

God bless you!

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
There are some who lose all memory with a full personality change.
This includes some who were once nice loving people, turned to anger filled psycho's.
Heart in biblical terms is referring to the intentional mind, which is affected in some accidents.
This is somewhat true! Yes, memory loss and personality changes can happen with head injuries and with Alzheimer's. My MIL has Alzheimer's last stages. She was becoming so agitated, they have to drug her heavily. She doesn't recognize her children any more. But she was saved and lived Jesus her whole life. It's there, just hard to see.

But you don't seem to understand that God is sovereign. Regardless of whether someone loses their memories, God is able to keep their souls. God is in control. He doesn't save people, and then lose them due to accident or disease. My advice is to volunteer as a helper in long term care. Get to know the patients. You will find despite memory issues, they are unique individuals. The Christian are saved whether they are verbal, or on death's door.

I don't understand why you don't understand that Christ will not lose anyone of us. Maybe you ought to study soteriology more. Learn God's promises to his children. I am very ill, my mind is not as sharp as it once was. But Christ lives within me, and he loves me, gives me joy, and peace.

I had a good friend who was hit in the back of her head when someone rear ended her. She was in a coma for months. She went from being brilliant, to being slow, although she did improve over the time we were friends. She used to get frustrated with her limitations. But she never lost her relationship with Christ. She had many people praying for her, and she lived, though she was not supposed to. She is happily married, with 2 children. She praises God, she did not ever lose her salvation, because you can't lose your salvation. She is born again, and the loves God with her heart, soul, strength and mind!

You do not lose your salvation, esp not because of an accident!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Ah.......
but your thread TITLE is
MEMORY LOSS-Saved or not

to discuss personality disorders here would be derailing the thread from MEMORY LOSS
I try to not derail a thread too but find that 'if at all possible' to be problematic at times.

Oct 13, 2019
Ah.......
but your thread TITLE is
MEMORY LOSS-Saved or not

In other words you don't have an answer.
Move along.

Oct 13, 2019
Only God knows. But stay away from hypotheticals.
It's a hypothetical because I don't have a personal experience with one.
But these events do happen every day. So intrinsically it's not a fictional circumstance.

Oct 13, 2019
This is somewhat true! Yes, memory loss and personality changes can happen with head injuries and with Alzheimer's. My MIL has Alzheimer's last stages. She was becoming so agitated, they have to drug her heavily. She doesn't recognize her children any more. But she was saved and lived Jesus her whole life. It's there, just hard to see.

But you don't seem to understand that God is sovereign. Regardless of whether someone loses their memories, God is able to keep their souls. God is in control. He doesn't save people, and then lose them due to accident or disease. My advice is to volunteer as a helper in long term care. Get to know the patients. You will find despite memory issues, they are unique individuals. The Christian are saved whether they are verbal, or on death's door.

I don't understand why you don't understand that Christ will not lose anyone of us. Maybe you ought to study soteriology more. Learn God's promises to his children. I am very ill, my mind is not as sharp as it once was. But Christ lives within me, and he loves me, gives me joy, and peace.

I had a good friend who was hit in the back of her head when someone rear ended her. She was in a coma for months. She went from being brilliant, to being slow, although she did improve over the time we were friends. She used to get frustrated with her limitations. But she never lost her relationship with Christ. She had many people praying for her, and she lived, though she was not supposed to. She is happily married, with 2 children. She praises God, she did not ever lose her salvation, because you can't lose your salvation. She is born again, and the loves God with her heart, soul, strength and mind!

You do not lose your salvation, esp not because of an accident!
I don't think you really understand the depth of the question.

Apr 15, 2017
Hypothetical:

A person, 19 years old, comes to Jesus with an incredibly strong unshakable faith, fully dedicating their lives to Him.
Shortly after they are in a car accident and lose their memory from the past year.
They live a full life and pass away at age 90.

1 year of their life was lived as a true Christian.
70 years was lived without any faith or desire to come to Jesus.

Is this person saved?
But during their memory loss if they did not deny Jesus and the truth, then they should be saved, which they probably would not do that for they have memory loss.

If they confessed Christ as their Savior, and were truly saved and they suffered memory loss they should still be saved for they already were saved.

Just because you cannot remember does not mean you are not saved, for it is out of your control.

They would be like a baby that is born innocent until they sin later on in life, which the Bible says that the angels always behold the face of the Father for the little ones for they are protected spiritually in their innocent state.

The only way they can be unsaved is if they deny Jesus but if they have memory loss how do they do that.

Apr 15, 2017
What about those with multiple personality disorder?
I've heard occasions where one part of someones personality is Christian, and their other personality is atheist.
The truth is if they are not in their right mind than things they say and think would not be held against them if they do not realize they are saying and thinking them for their mind is not working normally.

But can someone that is with God in the truth even suffer from mental loss, or dementia, for we may go through physical problems, but God protects the mind.

So that is the question of how saints can have a mental problem, but if they were injured and suffer memory loss it could be considered a physical ailment, but it would seem like God would heal the mind and if not then it would not hinder their salvation.

If someone is with the Lord in the truth can they suffer multiple personality disorder, and can they suffer dementia, and can they suffer mental illness that has nothing to do with an injury and memory loss.

2Co 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

Paul was given a physical ailment to keep him humble so God can use him, for God resists the proud but gives grace unto the humble, and some people that gets healed may cause them to sin as someone that is in a wheelchair, so it is not a guarantee that we will be delivered from a physical ailment.

2Ti 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

But God gives the saints a sound mind, a mind that is not disturbed, that functions properly, for with the mind we serve Christ so God would want our mind to function properly.

So the question is can a true Christian that is in the truth have mental illness, can they have dementia, which these problems is different than an accident that causes memory loss.

How can a Christian have mental illness if God gives them a sound mind, which it would appear they are not really a Christian, and not everyone that claims to be a Christian is a Christian.

Or are these people doing it to themselves with their worrying and crying babying attitude, giving them stress and it gets out of control like a person that runs to the psychiatrist for years but have no solution all because they will not stop their crybabying attitude and let whatever is bothering them go, which God said cast all your care upon Him.

I believe many people do it to themselves and how is God going to help them if they are doing it to themselves.

God said He gives us a sound mind, and Paul said with the mind we serve Christ, so how can a Christian have mental illness.

Something is amiss.

G

Godsgirl83

WELL...........
since we're talking hypothetical scenarios here.........

Hypothetically speaking:
I'm going to join a forum site as a new member.
I won't introduce myself or start interacting with anyone on the site that's been there for a while.
I will however (in my hypothetical story here) open a new thread with hypothetical scenarios, and stay primarily ONLY in that thread.
I'm hoping someone will give the answer that I want so I can say "see I've proved MY point"
and if they don't, I'll just brush them aside and keep pushing until someone does.
SO,
Hypothetically speaking here,
CC friends and family.........
how would you view me (hypothetically speaking of course ;) )