Men can you tell if another man is good-looking?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 9, 2020
Yep, probably...but even the guys that aren't homos and don't say it that way...I'm pretty sure, they still know when another man is attractive.

They don't really have to say anything at all. You can usually tell by their behavior.

It's like some kind of a reflex....You know... they try to stand a little taller, puff their arms and chest out a little more.

When that happens, women can just look around and see that there is usually another attractive guy around...lol
ok. your observations aren't incorrect. however, your conclusions are wrong. it's not about attraction. among men there is a definite socio-sexual hierarchy, which doesn't totally correlate to attraction. that is what all hetero males are at least subconsciously aware of and acting upon.

when you see a guy puffing his chest when a more "attractive" guy comes around, its not because the other guy is better looking. it's because he's slightly higher tier. this is how these rivalries are resolved in civilized society. as civilization collapses, these rivalries will become more and more violent. you'll start seeing men behave like elk in the rut. and if they are fighting around you, then you might be interested to know that they are essentially fighting for breeding rights .. for you! if you see guys doing that, and you're not interested in either one, then my advise would be to get out of there.

btw, your gay male friends are completely outside of this hierarchy. that's why hetero men don't take them seriously at all.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Yes, would be bad form. If pressed I would in the past have said yes even if it was not true. Worst case scenario is that the one who set them up was honest and said he was ugly, and she still went on the date. Then they talk about it, and the man feels insulted and get angry, Then the ones on date marry and cut out the one who joined them for a simple truth. Then it is biblical, ungratefulness is the worlds paycheck.
Maybe I should play matchmaker. I can tell a woman, "I honestly cannot tell if a man is good-looking, so I can't answer your question. But he's a nice guy."

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
ok. your observations aren't incorrect. however, your conclusions are wrong. it's not about attraction. among men there is a definite socio-sexual hierarchy, which doesn't totally correlate to attraction. that is what all hetero males are at least subconsciously aware of and acting upon.

when you see a guy puffing his chest when a more "attractive" guy comes around, its not because the other guy is better looking. it's because he's slightly higher tier. this is how these rivalries are resolved in civilized society. as civilization collapses, these rivalries will become more and more violent. you'll start seeing men behave like elk in the rut. and if they are fighting around you, then you might be interested to know that they are essentially fighting for breeding rights .. for you! if you see guys doing that, and you're not interested in either one, then my advise would be to get out of there.
Informative.

btw, your gay male friends are completely outside of this hierarchy. that's why hetero men don't take them seriously at all.
I don't really think I have any gay male friends...but who knows for sure.

But I would agree that if such a hierarchy exist, gay guys wouldn't be in it and lesbians wouldn't be in any hierarchy, either...:censored::sick:

presidente

May 29, 2013
I can't really relate to this. I can see this happen over men over being more dominant in the group, maybe even for being more masculine. If other guys can see a guy is good-looking, then they may do it over looks.

Of course being outgoing and 'dominant' in the group may be 'attractive' behavioral traits to some women, who may be more attracted to the leader of the group apart from the issue of looks.

Aug 4, 2021
That looks like a sheep, not a goat. And why all theese photos of sheeps and goats? You seem to have a roolodex of sheeps. We all know that sheeps were created as an example of how humans act. That they are incapable of fending for themselves, falling into bedrock, off cliffs, falling into rivers. And acting completely irrational, and charging other animals that will beat them up. And laying in the road without a care for cars. If the humans was not tasked with guarding them, they would be extinct, and is an example that we would be extinct if the father in heaven did not watch over us. Sheeps are important, but annoying. Savage beast, attacked me twice this summer.

Mar 1, 2021
I think men are just WAY more visual and it seems like you guys will walk straight into a wall looking at certain types of women. (By the way we see you checking out other women all the time because you are worried about whether she sees you checking her out, not other people around you.) I don't want to speak for all women, but I know for me there are lots of men that I find plenty attractive enough to want to know more about....but I'm not necessarily totally attracted to them until I know more about them. I think a lot of men seem more attractive based on their personality and other things. It's definitely not just a visual thing. For the record, I'm happily married and not "looking" for men in this way. Just giving my perspective and I definitely have friends that feel the same way.

Lizzy

Jan 18, 2018
This video is interesting and speaks to the topic.

I think thats funny, but sad. I feel really bad when people are put on the spot. Idk, I think that many, many people are so much more attractive than they think they are. Especially find that true in guys that are shy and easy going. Must be the humility that makes them even more attractive, It shows that they do not soncider themselves 'all that' and look for other qualities than beauty in other people too. I like that. And as far as men being able to recognize that a guy is good looking?? Of course they can see that! They just dont want people to say they're weird for it. Exactly like a girl can say another girl is pretty.

Cabrillo

Sep 6, 2021
I think thats funny, but sad. I feel really bad when people are put on the spot. Idk, I think that many, many people are so much more attractive than they think they are. Especially find that true in guys that are shy and easy going. Must be the humility that makes them even more attractive, It shows that they do not soncider themselves 'all that' and look for other qualities than beauty in other people too. I like that. And as far as men being able to recognize that a guy is good looking?? Of course they can see that! They just dont want people to say they're weird for it. Exactly like a girl can say another girl is pretty.
Most guys that care enough about their looks to be noticed are probly Gay!

Lizzy

Jan 18, 2018
Most guys that care enough about their looks to be noticed are probly Gay!
Well, I like a guy to care about his looks, whether hes gay or not. I just care if hes nice , funny and clean, kind to others, respectful of God, loves his mom and likes good coffee

presidente

May 29, 2013
. And as far as men being able to recognize that a guy is good looking?? Of course they can see that! They just dont want people to say they're weird for it. Exactly like a girl can say another girl is pretty.

It looks like you are implying that I and other men who say they have little to no sense of whether other men are good-looking are lying. How much time have you been being a man? How much time have you been being me?

Cabrillo

Sep 6, 2021
Well, I like a guy to care about his looks, whether hes gay or not. I just care if hes nice , funny and clean, kind to others, respectful of God, loves his mom and likes good coffee
Gotya! I'm sorry. In my head I mistransposed good looking into attractive. If a man is attractive to another man. At least one of them has got to be Gay. Of course I'm an old school black & white gangster, cowboy, war & gangster movie fan. :love:

presidente

May 29, 2013
Gotya! I'm sorry. In my head I mistransposed good looking into attractive. If a man is attractive to another man. At least one of them has got to be Gay. Of course I'm an old school black & white gangster, cowboy, war & gangster movie fan. :love:
I don't really differentiate between attractive and good-looking. For men, men are not good-looking. If a woman is good-looking, she's attractive and vice versa.

Lizzy

Jan 18, 2018
It looks like you are implying that I and other men who say they have little to no sense of whether other men are good-looking are lying. How much time have you been being a man? How much time have you been being me?
No time being a man, ever. No time being you either. I never said men have no sense of anything actually. I said that I think that a man may feel like they can't comment on good looks of another man because of how people may consider their remark. So in other words, I'm sticking up for men to be able to comment on men looks, women looks, how cute a kitten or puppy is without being judged for it. Hey, maybe I'm wrong?? I'm only human, but I try to be reasonable and understanding.

Cabrillo

Sep 6, 2021
I don't really differentiate between attractive and good-looking. For men, men are not good-looking. If a woman is good-looking, she's attractive and vice versa.
Johnny Cash vs Rickey Martin would be an example. I think Cash is good looking in a natural way. The other seems too vain to be straight. Who would you rather have behind your back in case of trouble? That's what makes the difference. ;)

Lizzy

Jan 18, 2018
Johnny Cash vs Rickey Martin would be an example. I think Cash is good looking in a natural way. The other seems too vain to be straight. Who would you rather have behind your back in case of trouble? That's what makes the difference. ;)
Both men are handsome. But Johnny Cash is the type of man I'd rather call my husband. Guess I like a hard working, bit of cowboy, loves his Momma kind of guy. He also looks like he could give a really great hug.Theres lots more to value in a person than just looks. I want a man that has integrity and character from living his life. Cash looked like he was that man.

Cabrillo

Sep 6, 2021
No time being a man, ever. No time being you either. I never said men have no sense of anything actually. I said that I think that a man may feel like they can't comment on good looks of another man because of how people may consider their remark. So in other words, I'm sticking up for men to be able to comment on men looks, women looks, how cute a kitten or puppy is without being judged for it. Hey, maybe I'm wrong?? I'm only human, but I try to be reasonable and understanding.
It's more than likely your age or economic background. I was raised with the the value system where our ability to work physically hard 8-12 hrs a day. Look & act secure, defend his family and care more about bringing home foBut my Dad was a tuna cannery worker 37 years and a WW2 vet. What a man could do has always been more important than looks. I find sissy boys repulsive. I think that may be why Homophobia is so common among straight men.

I don't think gayness is physically contagious. But the Bible has a few strong comments against effeminate men. We aren't supposed to find them acceptable.

Lizzy

Jan 18, 2018
It's more than likely your age or economic background. I was raised with the the value system where our ability to work physically hard 8-12 hrs a day. Look & act secure, defend his family and care more about bringing home foBut my Dad was a tuna cannery worker 37 years and a WW2 vet. What a man could do has always been more important than looks. I find sissy boys repulsive. I think that may be why Homophobia is so common among straight men.

I don't think gayness is physically contagious. But the Bible has a few strong comments against effeminate men. We aren't supposed to find them acceptable.
I honestly don't understand what my age or upbringing has to do with anything you said, but ok. If you must know, my Dad was a Marine and after took a job on an Army base for 32 years. My parents were both hard working and loving. They raised 14 children that have never been to jail and have all graduated college and most of us are happily married. I've been widowed 7 years after 30 amazing yrs together. I work 3 jobs and love my 4 daughters and love my church that Ive gone to for 25 years. So, I think we can agree to these things; hard work is important in making a person who they are, loving others is important and we should show this in our world daily, grace is the key in this world when others don't have the same beliefs. I hope that you have a fabulous evening and a beautiful week.

Cabrillo

Sep 6, 2021
I honestly don't understand what my age or upbringing has to do with anything you said, but ok. If you must know, my Dad was a Marine and after took a job on an Army base for 32 years. My parents were both hard working and loving. They raised 14 children that have never been to jail and have all graduated college and most of us are happily married. I've been widowed 7 years after 30 amazing yrs together. I work 3 jobs and love my 4 daughters and love my church that Ive gone to for 25 years. So, I think we can agree to these things; hard work is important in making a person who they are, loving others is important and we should show this in our world daily, grace is the key in this world when others don't have the same beliefs. I hope that you have a fabulous evening and a beautiful week.
In your pic it looks like you're in your 20's I have grand children older than that. The work ethics your father and I was raised with are mostly non-existant. People seldom look forward to working overtime any more. My grand kids didn't excersize hard enough at PE to need a shower or change of clothes. Can't write cursive and don't carry books home or walk to school. I'd apologize for my error but most women I've ever met would take it as a complement.

G-night. :)

de-emerald

May 8, 2021
I personaly know what women f
Several years ago, I read a blog or post from a woman who was upset that a male friend could not tell her if a guy she was being set up on a blind date was good looking or not. The man said he could not tell if he was good looking or not, and she thought he was being dishonest. I thought this was awfully insensitive of the woman. Women can tell if men are good looking, but men could not tell if other men are good-looking... or can they? I cannot, but can other men?

So I got curious about this. Was I lacking in this aspect of interpreting the world? My mind went back to a few occasions where I heard a man say another man was good-looking. I thought they were just talking nonsense, empty flattery or something. Sometimes this happened when I was in Asia. A lot of men in the US won't say stuff like that. I guess I would have thought homosexual men had a sense of this if I had thought about it.

So I took a few straw polls, discussions with a few guys after a Bible study, discussions at the lunch table at work. One co-worker said he could tell if a man was good looking. The other said that was something women could tell. He could not. Some men just did not answer or changed the subject. My guess is somewhere around 20% of men are like me. I would not know that Brad Pitt is good-looking if no one had ever told me. Clark Gable, Carey Grant, Mel Gibson, Ryan Gosling-- I presume are good-looking because people say they are and because of women's reactions.

I think I can have a slight sense of it. If a man is very odd-looking, I can tell if he is not good-looking. I could always do that. But sometimes I can kind of guess at it-- facial symmetry, large jaw. I might ask my wife if a man in a movie is good-looking. It helps me figure out the story line, if he is going to be a love interest of a female character.

For women, I don't have to think about it. I know in a milisecond if a woman is good-looking according to my own particular tastes and opinions. I also notice other people might think a woman is good looking but I don't if she has a trait I associate with masculinity, like a large jaw or something along those lines. Maybe I associate masculinity with not being good looking or something like that. Beauty is subjective. Some women will disagree over whether a certain man is good-looking. Women used to rave over Clark Gable. My wife did not think he was good looking when she saw an old movie. My mom used to think the bar tender from Cheers was odd looking.

I thought I would bring my straw poll here. To what extent can men on this forum tell if a man is good-looking? How many of you have little to no sense of it?
I personaly know what women find attractive in men, and it isnt always how manly the man looks, but it does play a part. i guess its the same for guys. but that being said where all copy cats. but will the women stlll love me when im sixty four lol. humm ill have to work on that i guess lol.