Mental Health and Medication

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 14, 2017
Hello,

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on finding the line between believing and holding hope in God's healing, and looking at medication options when it comes to mental health issues?

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Although God has given mankind the intellect and materials needed to treat both physical and mental afflictions, I believe some

drugs are extremely detrimental and dangerous, and may make a bad situation worse. I am not saying don't take anti- depressants or anti-anxiety drugs altogether. Some people may chemically need them for a time. But those drugs, like xanax for instance, that require higher doses over time to achieve the same result, are not good for you, and I doubt the Lord wants you dependent on them, rather than Him.

I'll say welcome to you, as this is your 1st post! Have a blessed day.

U

Ugly

As one that has dealt with the issue, as well as had many friends with similar or worse issues, I would say drugs should be used only A) as a last resort when all other options have been ineffective or B) when the need is great enough to not wait (a real danger to themselves or others).
That's not so much a spiritual belief, but rather using wisdom.

I know many Christians love to promote miraculous healings, and if God so chooses He will do just that, and does. But it's unhealthy mindset (and this goes for all aspects of life, mental illness included) to spend our lives sitting around waiting for God to zap things and make it ok. God's desire is not to make our lives easy, but to help us grow. And our best growth usually comes from struggle.
But to leave a person suffering, or in danger, in the name of waiting on God is not using the wisdom God gives us.

Jan 14, 2017
Thanks for replying to the post. I hadn't made one before so wasn't sure If i was doing it right :D

I haven't really been in the position to be able to have a good talk to a doctor about it, but how do you tell if it's chemically related or whether it's psychological? Doctors that I've seen seem to jump you with medication the first you express your challenges.. and I've seen the affect they've had on my sister. I can't say I trust their judgement, because shouldn't you find out the cause before giving the treatment? And i've seen the after effects of my friends and family going on and off these drugs and it's not pretty.

I did go see one psychologist as a last resort thing (for me it was) but her way of approaching me spoke volumes of her lack of understanding (psychologically yes, emotionally no). They work great for my sister but I didn't find them helpful for myself. You can't talk freely to people who you don't feel trust in.

As a Christian struggling with social anxiety and depression, it's hard to ever feel competent enough. You're a Christian, you know of hope, and have purpose and a future. But where one part of you knows that, a bigger part of you feels hopeless, and either anxious or depressed. Some days are good, some aren't but everyday those feelings are there. It's like treating water, and you'll have times where u can keep your head above it and times where you can't do it anymore. You feel like a fraud Christian lol.

I'm 24, and even as an adult I couldn't give anyone advise for a child in how to deal with social anxiety. I have no doubt the stress I caused my parents have taken a few years from their life expectancy, haha. As an adult though, you're able to see a bigger picture than as a child, but I still don't see any answer to it. Only thing that keeps me up and about is God, but as I said before it still feels like treading water. It's not something that pops up every now and again, it's a daily challenge. Not something I'm real comfortable talking about, but I know other people experience it too and sometimes you just really feel like reaching out. Honestly, I don't like idea of medication and I don't reckon i'd take it, but somedays you wonder if you're putting it off for the wrong reasons and should. I guess I hold on hope that through Christ I can overcome it, which I have come far from a child, most days you can keep the lid on it but it's always waiting to explode out.

In terms of anxiety I'd say it's different to depression, although in my case related. Anxiety through Christ I feel i can sit on most the time, although it's always there. Depression though feels like a hole or emptiness in you. Somedays the way it can respond to situations is scary and you don't feel any control over it. For example I tried out babysitting for a friend, lasted a couple months maybe, but I ended up needing to quit for the safety of the child and me mentally. I couldn't deal with the anxiety it brought on that i got to the point that I felt emotionally dead inside every time I went to visit; Anxiety would buzz, but a big part of you could care less about anything. A scary feeling, especially when the parents trust you and don't see it themselves. That child is now heading to kinder next year. I still go visit them and play with her. She remembers me and likes me, and I can't but feel each time i see her that i couldn't have made a better decision for her to get a new babysitter.

I guess, I want to have a better understanding of where medication fits in because as I said before it feels like the doctors are jumping me as soon as i get through the door. It makes me question whether my decision to not go the way of medication is the right one. God is good and I trust he has a plan, I don't feel like it's a light decision though and I don't know know the answer. Everyone's advise is much appreciated thanks :)

Feb 7, 2015
I have very mixed opinions about the value of drugs.

K

Karraster

Hi Serenity, have you ever heard of the Hippocratic Oath? Did you know it's origins? Hippocrates. One of his famous quotes:'Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.' Needless to say, the medical profession has wandered far from the "father" of medicine, have they not?

While food may not always mend what ails ya, it stands to reason that we cannot operate at our optimum if malnourished. I see you are not in the USA, but if you were I could say with confidence you could be malnourished. America, many overweight people starving to death. We live in an instant/fast food over processed culture and it is making us sick.

If you don't know what Kifer is, google it find out. You can make this probiotic drink at home, not expensive. It will heal your gut flora and clear your head. Many parents are finding that it helps their autistic children. I personally know some of them. If it can heal them, imagine what it could do for you. Kefir, Kombacha, and fermented foods. Find out what they are.

D

Depleted

Hello,

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on finding the line between believing and holding hope in God's healing, and looking at medication options when it comes to mental health issues?
About the same as believing and hoping for any illness. Decades ago, hubby broke his back at work. He didn't have the ambulance take him to the elders to pray and hope for a healing. He went to the hospital and had it treated. (After all, didn't even know it was broken, for sure, until the Xray.) Then we prayed about it. It was God's will that his back be healed, but that also came with back brace for six months and a career change.

Why is it people think mental illness is different than physical illness? Treat physical illness, but pray about mental illness.

In both cases, something is wrong with the way our body functions. God has miraculously healed me three times of body illnesses and allergic reactions, but I was already being treated for the UTI for two years, before hubby thought to pray over it. And prayer worked. We were ready to run to the hospital if prayer didn't work for the bee sting or the fire ant bite, but since nothing happened, there was no need to go.

And I've been diagnosed with mental illness three times. (Depression, suicidal, and PTSD.) The first two were treated, until it was over. The third one was pretty mild, so time worked.

Mental illness is no different. If you have symptoms, get it treated. Feel free to pray, but if there isn't instant healing assume you keep getting treated until it gets better. And it doesn't always get better any more than bodily problems get better always. When that happens, assume God has a purpose in it and keep living for him.

D

Depleted

Thanks for replying to the post. I hadn't made one before so wasn't sure If i was doing it right :D

I haven't really been in the position to be able to have a good talk to a doctor about it, but how do you tell if it's chemically related or whether it's psychological? Doctors that I've seen seem to jump you with medication the first you express your challenges.. and I've seen the affect they've had on my sister. I can't say I trust their judgement, because shouldn't you find out the cause before giving the treatment? And i've seen the after effects of my friends and family going on and off these drugs and it's not pretty.

I did go see one psychologist as a last resort thing (for me it was) but her way of approaching me spoke volumes of her lack of understanding (psychologically yes, emotionally no). They work great for my sister but I didn't find them helpful for myself. You can't talk freely to people who you don't feel trust in.

As a Christian struggling with social anxiety and depression, it's hard to ever feel competent enough. You're a Christian, you know of hope, and have purpose and a future. But where one part of you knows that, a bigger part of you feels hopeless, and either anxious or depressed. Some days are good, some aren't but everyday those feelings are there. It's like treating water, and you'll have times where u can keep your head above it and times where you can't do it anymore. You feel like a fraud Christian lol.

I'm 24, and even as an adult I couldn't give anyone advise for a child in how to deal with social anxiety. I have no doubt the stress I caused my parents have taken a few years from their life expectancy, haha. As an adult though, you're able to see a bigger picture than as a child, but I still don't see any answer to it. Only thing that keeps me up and about is God, but as I said before it still feels like treading water. It's not something that pops up every now and again, it's a daily challenge. Not something I'm real comfortable talking about, but I know other people experience it too and sometimes you just really feel like reaching out. Honestly, I don't like idea of medication and I don't reckon i'd take it, but somedays you wonder if you're putting it off for the wrong reasons and should. I guess I hold on hope that through Christ I can overcome it, which I have come far from a child, most days you can keep the lid on it but it's always waiting to explode out.

In terms of anxiety I'd say it's different to depression, although in my case related. Anxiety through Christ I feel i can sit on most the time, although it's always there. Depression though feels like a hole or emptiness in you. Somedays the way it can respond to situations is scary and you don't feel any control over it. For example I tried out babysitting for a friend, lasted a couple months maybe, but I ended up needing to quit for the safety of the child and me mentally. I couldn't deal with the anxiety it brought on that i got to the point that I felt emotionally dead inside every time I went to visit; Anxiety would buzz, but a big part of you could care less about anything. A scary feeling, especially when the parents trust you and don't see it themselves. That child is now heading to kinder next year. I still go visit them and play with her. She remembers me and likes me, and I can't but feel each time i see her that i couldn't have made a better decision for her to get a new babysitter.

I guess, I want to have a better understanding of where medication fits in because as I said before it feels like the doctors are jumping me as soon as i get through the door. It makes me question whether my decision to not go the way of medication is the right one. God is good and I trust he has a plan, I don't feel like it's a light decision though and I don't know know the answer. Everyone's advise is much appreciated thanks :)
If you find a doctor who labels you those things in the first meeting and then ships you off with prescriptions, count him/her as useless. And then look for a useful doctor.

Doctors are like the rest of us, 10% make it to top of class, but the rest are either average or barely passed.

I once had a doctor talk to me for 10 minutes, and then diagnosed me with IBS. First, IBS is diagnosed when everything else isn't wrong. Second, 15 years later, I finally learned it was a pinched nerve in the back. I kept looking for better doctors. After all that, do you know who figured out what was wrong? ME! And once I explained it to doctors they were surprised but agreed. For one doctor I ran down the symptoms and she instantly told me what was wrong. Very annoying because 15 years earlier I told her the same thing and she was perplexed. (I'm sure they were hiding this info for me so I wouldn't sue a colleague.)

So you had a doctor diagnose you with social anxiety and depression? Let me guess. You were a teenager and got all kinds of nervous in social situations. No kidding, most teenagers do that. Can you deal better now, or are you stuck in the same feelings? Because the problem with doctors diagnosing it is they don't do anything but drug you up and think they fixed it. Sadly, back when they didn't diagnose that ones, teenagers eventually figured out how to handle it and went on with their lives. Now there are 20-something sure they're stuck there, because no one told them this. Instead, they were drugged up.

And the depression? Because you have trouble socializing, so hard to make friends, and your lonely? Doctors diagnose and then ignore, leaving the patient think that is who they are forever. Find a doctor willing to do something about it.

And if you can't, (and you probably can't), then find a counselor who can help you face social situations like you know what you're doing. When I was a kid, it was called "etiquette lessons." The nerves remained, but at least we knew what to say and how to act.

Some mental problems leave in time. I suspect yours would have already left if some doctor didn't think it was his job to label you, and then walk away.

Lakesha

Nov 2, 2017
I have suffered from anxiety and depression and I have been on many different medications. They are there to help, if you need them. However, I would suggest to you to seek out thearpy. It can be very hard to do this. Medicaitons can be very helpful, but if you don't address the root of the issue then they will never go away. I think youre off to a great start but seeking advice from God loving people.
It can be very hard, but you can do this!

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I have OCD and can’t function without medication. I know God can heal me, and maybe He will someday, but it got to the point where even my pastor was like “yeah you need medication probably.”