Mental health

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
I don't see the difference in Americans going to the psychiatrist than Africans going to a witch doctor except industrialization. It's another avenue than Christ. You want science to replace Scripture. Honestly the only thing they're good for is keeping suicidal people but surprisingly that's a 24 hour stay
How do you feel about Christian psychologists?

Anni

Sep 27, 2023
I was actually diagnosed with 'too spiritual'. I got the doctor's notes for our adoption of a baby boy. Can you believe that!
Unfortunately, yes, I can believe it.
Had it been a psychiatrist it would have been "religious mania".
Every Christian I've ever met in mental health circles has had that diagnosis.
One was refused a Bible while in hospital, told "It wasn't written for you."
It'll be in the diagnostic manual before long. If not already.
Wonder what the treatment would be?

Ted01

May 14, 2022
Unfortunately, yes, I can believe it.
Had it been a psychiatrist it would have been "religious mania".
Every Christian I've ever met in mental health circles has had that diagnosis.
One was refused a Bible while in hospital, told "It wasn't written for you."
It'll be in the diagnostic manual before long. If not already.
Wonder what the treatment would be?
Actually, "religious mania" or Hyperreligiosity is already in the DSM-5... they treat it as a type of epilepsy, I think.
To the best of my knowledge, most Christians (that I know anyway) don't reach the criteria.

Oh, what's that saying about a little bit of knowledge? :rolleyes:

Anni

Sep 27, 2023
Actually, "religious mania" or Hyperreligiosity is already in the DSM-5... they treat it as a type of epilepsy, I think.
To the best of my knowledge, most Christians (that I know anyway) don't reach the criteria.

They were all in hospital for other things.
Mental health hospitals don't like Christians. It's not scientific.
Little knowledge, true. Experience, too much.

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
The Bible doesn't list each disease including mental health illnesses. There are various types of mental illnesses and disabilities. Some are more cognitive related...think Forest Gump, Rain Man, Bobby Bushey. Others are more personality disorders, probably caused by a mix of genetics and environment. I would be cautious with grouping personality disorders or even mental health disabilities as being caused by the devil. Pills are supposed to have more immediate effect. For example if someone is feeling suicidal he should get on some pills asap, but also continue with therapy and prayer. My opinion.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Here we have another thread demonstrating the OP's ignorance on the subject of mental illness. Two in a week... and in what phase is the moon?

Seriously, assuming that all mental illness is the direct work of the devil is like telling the person with stomach cancer, "Physician, heal thyself!"; ridiculous at best, and dangerous at worst. Assuming that all psychology and therapy is 'witch doctoring' is just foolish.

Jul 14, 2019
Here we have another thread demonstrating the OP's ignorance on the subject of mental illness. Two in a week... and in what phase is the moon?

Seriously, assuming that all mental illness is the direct work of the devil is like telling the person with stomach cancer, "Physician, heal thyself!"; ridiculous at best, and dangerous at worst. Assuming that all psychology and therapy is 'witch doctoring' is just foolish.
And you are? A psychiatrist maybe? No? Are you bored again or better after always hearing you berate people are you born again?

Jul 14, 2019

Yes most Christians don't fast 40 days like I have. And most Christians aren't completely abstinent till marriage like I was. And most Christians don't attend Bible college like I did. And let's just be honest every Christian can type probably as you displayed, even if they never did anything.

Godsgirl1983

Feb 2, 2023
9 To some who trusted in their own righteousness and viewed others with contempt, He also told this parable: 10“Two men went up to the temple to pray. One was a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like the other men—swindlers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and pay tithes of all that I acquire.’
13 But the tax collector stood at a distance, unwilling even to lift up his eyes to heaven. Instead, he beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man, rather than the Pharisee, went home justified. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

seekingthemindofChrist

Casting down imaginations
Jul 10, 2023
We are a soul not a brain.
The Greek word which is translated into English as "soul" in the New Testament is psychē:

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lexicon/g5590/kjv/tr/0-1/

It is from this Greek word that we derive our English word "psychology":

https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=psychology

psychology (n.)

1650s, "the study of the soul," from Modern Latin psychologia, probably coined mid-16c. in Germany by Melanchthon from Latinized form of Greek psykhē "breath, spirit, soul" (see psyche) + logia "study of" (see -logy). The meaning "science or study of the phenomena of the mind" is attested by 1748, in reference to Christian Wolff's "Psychologia empirica" (1732). The modern behavioral sciences sense is from the early 1890s.

That said, I reject most of psychology myself, and I agree with certain things that you have stated in your posts.

Jul 14, 2019
Yes most Christians don't fast 40 days like I have. And most Christians aren't completely abstinent till marriage like I was. And most Christians don't attend Bible college like I did. And let's just be honest every Christian can type probably as you displayed, even if they never did anything.
In fact I'm trying again for 40 days. I tried last year but couldn't get the drinks and vitamins I needed. So it was just one meal a day.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
In fact I'm trying again for 40 days. I tried last year but couldn't get the drinks and vitamins I needed. So it was just one meal a day.
The value in fasting is found in the increased intimacy with God; not in the fasting itself. Otherwise, fasting simply becomes an idol. If you aren't to let your left hand to know what your right hand is doing, you certainly don't want to spill the beans to others.

Jul 14, 2019
Someone mentioned a medical doctor, would you trust your salvation to them? Because that's what you're doing with psychiatrist, letting them handle your soul.

Jul 14, 2019
The value in fasting is found in the increased intimacy with God; not in the fasting itself. Otherwise, fasting simply becomes an idol. If you aren't to let your left hand to know what your right hand is doing, you certainly don't want to spill the beans to others.
I was told that when I originally did 40 days and they suggested I live in the mountains because it was too obvious to hide. I weighed 110 lbs. But that's just impossible to do. It's not like putting stuff on your face to appear to fast like they were doing. It's also impossible to hide the abstinent before marriage. It became so obvious the Bible college guys tied me up and pulled a knife and said I would be masturbating to stop showing.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
It seems like a lot of people put stock in psychology as real when the Bible doesn't support it. Where in the Bible is mental health? Where do all of these ideas come from. In history it is the American witch doctor. The alternative to Christ to deal with the soul. It's nothing more than the devil in disguise. A guy on a Facebook group told me God doesn't heal his son of mental health so it's God's fault. But if it ain't broke don't fix it. My nephew is considered handicap but I think God just made him more kind and caring. Even the stuff they study as psychologist is men's doctrines. I took a class in psychology and the teacher would just lie to test everyone. I thought he was just trying to get us all diagnosed. I question his salvation as he uses psychology on the church to test brothers and is trying for his Police friends as a chaplain. It's a dirty witchcraft. We are a soul not a brain.
God is truth. If psychiatrist through observation discover a truth about a sound mind, that truth does not disagree with the Lord. The problem would be those who think psychiatry is more accurate than God.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Someone mentioned a medical doctor, would you trust your salvation to them? Because that's what you're doing with psychiatrist, letting them handle your soul.
You are conflating 2 different things. Getting psychological help is not the same thing as entrusting your spiritual welfare to them. Understanding how harm from past events and the impact that has on our thinking and behavior can be very helpful to healing. You seem to have had a hurtful experience and are overgeneralizing the field as a whole.