Mental health

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 14, 2019
9 To some who trusted in their own righteousness and viewed others with contempt, He also told this parable: 10“Two men went up to the temple to pray. One was a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like the other men—swindlers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and pay tithes of all that I acquire.’
13 But the tax collector stood at a distance, unwilling even to lift up his eyes to heaven. Instead, he beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man, rather than the Pharisee, went home justified. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”
I was the one looked down on for starts. And the parable wasn't against defending one's self for being more spiritual. Maybe you should read their post before you judge so quickly. The Lord who told the parable fasted 40 days and often defended himself.

Godsgirl1983

Feb 2, 2023
I was the one looked down on for starts. And the parable wasn't against defending one's self for being more spiritual. Maybe you should read their post before you judge so quickly. The Lord who told the parable fasted 40 days and often defended himself.
I have read (and reread) every post within this thread
And as far as I can tell (within this thread) no one is talking about defending oneself except for you about yourself.
in fact you seem to place A LOT of focus on yourself, and what you do- which is just what the Pharisee did ( v. 12 "I fast.... I pay tithes....") a lot of emphasis on themselves and what they did.
Yes most Christians don't fast 40 days like I have. And most Christians aren't completely abstinent till marriage like I was. And most Christians don't attend Bible college like I did. .

Godsgirl1983

Feb 2, 2023
9 To some who trusted in their own righteousness and viewed others with contempt, He also told this parable: 10“Two men went up to the temple to pray. One was a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like the other men—swindlers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and pay tithes of all that I acquire.’
13 But the tax collector stood at a distance, unwilling even to lift up his eyes to heaven. Instead, he beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man, rather than the Pharisee, went home justified. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”
oopss...
posted that, realized I forgot to add the reference location, started to edit, got distracted and missed the edit time frame :oops:

It's from Luke 18, if anyone wanted to know.

Jul 14, 2019
I have read (and reread) every post within this thread
And as far as I can tell (within this thread) no one is talking about defending oneself except for you about yourself.
in fact you seem to place A LOT of focus on yourself, and what you do- which is just what the Pharisee did ( v. 12 "I fast.... I pay tithes....") a lot of emphasis on themselves and what they did.
We can't all be the wicked sinners who repent like you in the parable. But you're not repenting are you? It was obvious I was attacked first and you can't even concede that. You're like the pharasees yourself. You just jump in and judge me. The comment he made was most Christians aren't as spiritual what does that tell you? Like I'm off in the head for spiritual.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Yes most Christians don't fast 40 days like I have. And most Christians aren't completely abstinent till marriage like I was. And most Christians don't attend Bible college like I did. And let's just be honest every Christian can type probably as you displayed, even if they never did anything.
My... aren't we proud of our personal accomplishments. Too bad all this spirituality hasn't resulted in humility and graciousness toward others.

Jul 14, 2019
My... aren't we proud of our personal accomplishments. Too bad all this spirituality hasn't resulted in humility and graciousness toward others.
It's easy to be humble if you really are not much anyways but a mouther

Adelia

Apr 18, 2018
  • Matthew 23:12. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
Isaiah 53:
7 He was oppressed and treated harshly,
yet he never said a word.
He was led like a lamb to the slaughter.
And as a sheep is silent before the shearers,
he did not open his mouth.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
It seems like a lot of people put stock in psychology as real when the Bible doesn't support it.
You are absolutely right. Mental health is a product of spiritual health, and spiritual health is the result of a right relationship with God and Christ. But too many "Christian" mental health professionals have swallowed the lies of the unbelieving world.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
It seems like a lot of people put stock in psychology as real when the Bible doesn't support it. Where in the Bible is mental health? Where do all of these ideas come from. In history it is the American witch doctor. The alternative to Christ to deal with the soul. It's nothing more than the devil in disguise. A guy on a Facebook group told me God doesn't heal his son of mental health so it's God's fault. But if it ain't broke don't fix it. My nephew is considered handicap but I think God just made him more kind and caring. Even the stuff they study as psychologist is men's doctrines. I took a class in psychology and the teacher would just lie to test everyone. I thought he was just trying to get us all diagnosed. I question his salvation as he uses psychology on the church to test brothers and is trying for his Police friends as a chaplain. It's a dirty witchcraft. We are a soul not a brain.
No, we are spirit beings that have a soul. The spirit is the realm in which we relate to God. The soul is the organ of expression. "Mental health" does not appear in the Bible, but we are told that the mind needs to be renewed. Many Christians suffer terribly, and needlessly, because they have minds full of false concepts, lies and deceptions. Satan's battleground is the mind. It is possible to have a new spirit that is alive to God and yet be too oppressed to walk in the truth of the born again experience.

Many problems can be traced to involvement in witchcraft or other occult practices. Even supposedly innocent things like Harry Potter or a lot of Disney entertainment can be a problem. Very few people come to Jesus with completely free and clear minds.

Psychology is an attempt to solve such problems apart from Christ. For some people it is better than nothing. Real freedom is only possible in Christ.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
( We are a soul not a brain. ) If this is true why are there approximately 50 scriptures on sound mind? I agree we are a soul...but with a brain...​
We are NOT a soul. We are spirit beings. We have a soul. The mind is an aspect of the soul along with emotion and volition.

Adelia

Apr 18, 2018
We are NOT a soul. We are spirit beings. We have a soul. The mind is an aspect of the soul along with emotion and volition.
Spirit and soul are synonymous. Spirit beings are people who have physically died and moved to the spirit world. Spiritualists believe that people do this regardless of their allegiance to a particular faith or even their lack of faith. No thank you.

Godsgirl1983

Feb 2, 2023
We can't all be the wicked sinners who repent like you in the parable. But you're not repenting are you? It was obvious I was attacked first and you can't even concede that. You're like the pharasees yourself. You just jump in and judge me. The comment he made was most Christians aren't as spiritual what does that tell you? Like I'm off in the head for spiritual.
I don't even know what to say to you except "wow".
What does it tell me...
Well, it tells me A LOT.
Am I going to spend time trying to explain what I mean to you?
Eh, no. Probably not.
Why not?
Well, I guess you are just "too spiritual" and already know and have all the answers.
What could I possibly have to say?
After all
you really are not much anyways but a mouther
so what do I know? 🤷
:rolleyes:

Godsgirl1983

Feb 2, 2023
wait, :unsure: is that "mouther" as in trying to say someone is mouthy- as in LOTS of talk?
because my text to talk read it as "mother"
Either way, I'm still just a mommy, so what would I/do I know about mental health and the spiritual battles it brings?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Spirit beings are people who have physically died and moved to the spirit world.
Incorrect. Spirit beings are angels and demons. Holy angels are called "ministering spirits".

Those who die go to either one of two places -- Heaven or Hades. And both their souls and spirits are joined together, therefore both go there. Man is body, soul, and spirit (or spirit, soul, and body from God's perspective). When the body goes into the grave, the soul and spirit move on.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Adam became a living soul when God breathed the breath of life into his physical being.

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed
into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Genesis 2:7

As a person lost in a corrupted/fallen world, I found psychological counselling helpful.

If nothing else, it provided me with a language to understand myself on a deeper level.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
mental health is this: everything you learned in any way. learning is 83% visual. your ability to think. the recording, retaining & recalling of information you put in your brain with all your abilities. speaking what you know. God teaches wisdom especially in the 8th chapter of Proverbs. (Proverbs 4:7, 8:21, 35). improved mental health is begot by exercising the brain. all 3 of our healths; mental, physical & spiritual, work together. it seems you are saying you disagree that mental health exists.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
Thank you for your honesty. I personally thought you would be siding against me when you said you had a degree. I just took one class as part of college and it was the worst. The teacher of the course did nothing but psychology test on everyone and told you if you passed. This was a Bible college only.
I was interested in counciling and pursued psychology at WVU for 4 years. I rejected it as I trusted Christ as my Savior as a teenager, then continued to study the Bible. It just takes time to grow and the Lord always reveals new things from His Word while setting us apart from the worldly philosophies.

You are fortunate that the college only told you to take that one class.
Seminaries, Christian Universities and many Bible Colleges have sold out to the demand for psychology. They use the same methods as those I listed, but tack the name Christian into it to sell the major to those who either do not know or perhaps care in some cases.

Here's one Christian writer who wrote some good books on the subject of "Christian psychology" . Dave Hunt could have gone into more details as he did on his broadcast. Basically the founders of psychology that Christians think is science and Okay, admitted to being possessed by demons. As for Kinsey, he led the queer movement from academia, medicine and the colleges. I can't even quote many of the abominations he committed. It would be inappropriate for mixed company on a public forum.

Here's one of his sermons on the subject at an evangelical church.
I included two links because the recording is not as good as it should be. Audio good in the first and video better in the second. I couldn't find one video with both.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
You are absolutely right. Mental health is a product of spiritual health, and spiritual health is the result of a right relationship with God and Christ. But too many "Christian" mental health professionals have swallowed the lies of the unbelieving world./quote---

Scripture teaches mental health, just look at Philippians 4:8: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable— if anything is excellent or praiseworthy— think on these things." Christians know that God is truth, if anything in the world disagrees with scripture, it is not truth.

That does not mean that Christians may not look at what the world thinks is truth, to test it against scripture. If the world teaches that it is healthier to think as Phil.4:8 tells us, then it is helpful to listen to how the world explains that truth as well as how scripture explains it. If this was not so we would have no schools, no hospitals, no government.