Mental health

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Qwerty987

Sep 27, 2024
Any Christians struggling with their mental health? Depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, etc?

enril

Aug 18, 2024
I was, but I guess I didn't meet your requirements as a christian.
I did some pretty bad stuff. watched some pretty bad stuff.
tried some pretty bad stuff. you should talk to @Subhumanoidal.
I was suicidal. but then God saved me.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Oh wait...

At first I read that as, "I didn't measure up to YOUR requirements, so I guess I don't qualify."

Then I realized you meant it more as "I was not really a Christian at the time. My life was kind of a mess."

I'm gonna go wipe my glasses off now. BRB.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Any Christians struggling with their mental health? Depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, etc?
Hey
I am. Christian that's had depression for 35 years. Anxiety for over 20 years. And have had some suicidal thoughts at times.
I've also had good friends with mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, OCD, ADHD and bipolar. As well as a sister with alcoholism and PTSD.
So if you want to talk, go right ahead. I'll do my best to help. Or if you'd rather not be in public I can message you. Just let me know.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
All good here.

I learned about 'qwerty' in typing class years ago.

Glad to have you onboard with us. Welcome to CC.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I did some pretty bad stuff. watched some pretty bad stuff.
tried some pretty bad stuff. you should talk to @Subhumanoidal.
I was suicidal. but then God saved me.
Being a Christian means that you are Christ-like. I have failed this many times. The good news is that Jesus died for our sins and the Holy Spirit will provide comfort and guidance on our life's journey. Our heavenly Father watches out for those that love him and even at times for those that hate him. I am sure that God loves you. If you have not already done so, give your heart to Jesus and start experiencing the power of God.

enril

Aug 18, 2024
Being a Christian means that you are Christ-like. I have failed this many times. The good news is that Jesus died for our sins and the Holy Spirit will provide comfort and guidance on our life's journey. Our heavenly Father watches out for those that love him and even at times for those that hate him. I am sure that God loves you. If you have not already done so, give your heart to Jesus and start experiencing the power of God.
have you looked at my early posts?

enril

Aug 18, 2024
sorry for being so grouchy. I have been saved, and my life was completely changed. check some of my threads if you want.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Mental health?
The director of a mental health facility was concerned about proper diagnoses in his facility so he sent 5 people in to gain admission by claiming to hear voices and seeing things BUT once admitted to behave completely normal.
After a month All 5 were committed and not able to regain their freedom by their doctors who had varying diagnoses ranging from schizophrenia to bipolar and other disorders.

There ARE major issues with the methods used for diagnostic purposes. Nothing yet has been done.

Ballaurena

May 27, 2024
Not sure if you are looking for someone currently suffering, or if you are asking if Christians can suffer these ills. Therefore I will answer both.

I did until God healed me of anxiety. The same for my friend who was bipolar - something incurable in the world by the way.

Mental illness has a biological component that goes beyond choice, though choice can influence the severity of symptoms to some extent. For example, I could choose to face my fears but I couldn't change how my body responded - like trembling and my brain freezing up. I now have reason to believe that the life-saving surgery to remove my appendix when I was young had something to do with these problems (both God and at least one study have indicated this as a possibility). Bipolar people can even become catatonic - paralyzed, until a particular medication is administered. I have seen both this horror and this modern marvel in action, and the person clearly wanted to move since he was communicating through his eyes until the medication had time to work.

And evil spirits are another factor that can affect anyone. God can teach a person how to deal with them, but this is a life-long class since it is a battle against intelligent beings.

Therefore, in answer to the first possible question, no but I have previously been there and I have had loved ones who have been there too. In answer to the second possible meaning of your question, Christians most certainly can have mental health issues.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
i'm not but i'm going to tell you that some foods may even be responsible for those feelings like too much sugar or too much refined white sugar & white flour.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
sorry for being so grouchy. I have been saved, and my life was completely changed. check some of my threads if you want.
Glad to hear that you have been saved. That's a good report.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I have epilepsy. The cause of mine is unknown. Over the years God has provided me with medications that manage the seizures. Many of these medications have one common side effects. Periods of severe anxiety and periods of severe depression. These periods are managed with a medication called Zolof.

I thank God for the cure he provides me every day. Like the Apostle Paul, I begged God to take this curse from me. He told me that his grace was sufficient, and provided me with the medications needed. Periodically, he will remind me that he is in control, and that I belong to him. That grace that he provided me enabled me have two very successful careers, and a productive 20+ year retirement.

If you are experiencing mental health issues, take your problem to God in prayer. Find a qualified neurologist and eliminate the physical cause. Treatment for mental health issues is a long term process. I assure you that God's grace is sufficient.

jacko

Sep 2, 2024
I have epilepsy. The cause of mine is unknown. Over the years God has provided me with medications that manage the seizures. Many of these medications have one common side effects. Periods of severe anxiety and periods of severe depression. These periods are managed with a medication called Zolof.

I thank God for the cure he provides me every day. Like the Apostle Paul, I begged God to take this curse from me. He told me that his grace was sufficient, and provided me with the medications needed. Periodically, he will remind me that he is in control, and that I belong to him. That grace that he provided me enabled me have two very successful careers, and a productive 20+ year retirement.

If you are experiencing mental health issues, take your problem to God in prayer. Find a qualified neurologist and eliminate the physical cause. Treatment for mental health issues is a long term process. I assure you that God's grace is sufficient.

Sorry you are going through this. Even Pastor Ric Warren’s son was dealing with depression and suicidal thoughts for years and eventually sadly took his own life. Even in a deeply Godly family, it can happen.

Aussie52

Aug 31, 2022
I suffered severe depression for a number of years. Thank God, with the right medication, I have it under control now.

enril

Aug 18, 2024
I suffered severe depression for a number of years. Thank God, with the right medication, I have it under control now.
thank god, mine never got that bad. I did'n know there was depression medication.

jacko

Sep 2, 2024
I have heard that exercise releases endorphins. So everyone needs to do this, not that it will solve all your problems.