Mental illness or Demonic oppression?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Are all mental illnesses just demonic oppression?
Brain scans reveal predictable patterns in the areas of the brain that are experiencing either higher or lower levels of activity among people with mental illness and brain damage.
The brain is a physical thing. It's part of the physical body. Why people find it reasonable and acceptable to think that liver, kidneys, pancreas and all other parts of the body can become unhealthy and not function as intended, yet think that it's not possible for the brain, is beyond me.

Or how some people with mild depression can overcome demonic oppression by eating healthier, exercising and getting in better sleeping patterns is another that boggles my mind.

Why do tribal cultures have less problems with schizophrenia than modern cultures? In tribal cultures people with mental illness are expected to contribute to society the same as everyone else. And living in less stressful and judgmental cultures their rate of overcoming it completely is higher.
If schizophrenia is demonic why do non-Christian tribal cultures have a higher rate of recovery from it?

Plenty of evidence proves there is a genuine imbalance in the brain. Many Christian's choose superstition over wisdom and common sense. Not even a Christian mentaltity.

M

Miri

Sigh.

Regarding this thread, the brain is the most complex organ of the body,
There is much we still don’t know about it.

There was once a time epilepsy was thought to be demonic then it was discovered it
was a genuine illnes.

There was once a time dementia was thought to be demonic then it was released it was
a genuine illness

Etc etc etc

If someone broke a leg or their arm was half hanging off. No one would say that
Was demonic!

Or if someone had sepsis, no one would say that was demonic, they need antibiotics
not an exorcism.

So why are people so quick to label anything to do with the brain as demonic.

The brain is very very sensitive to hormone imbalances, nutrition deficiency, dyhydration,
Interruption to the blood supply, lack of sleep, low blood sugar, changes in blood
pressure, and many many other things.

It is possible for any illness to be demonic either physical, or mental and for an oppressed
person do have numerous symptoms.

But it is also highly likely a person has a genuine physical or mental illness. It does untold
harm to suggest someone with a mental illness is automatically demon possessed.

We also live in a fallen world where unfortunately sickness and disease are an every
day occurrence.

Oct 5, 2019
I don't believe of myself that it i s demonic oppression.
I saw someone post that it was demons so I wanted to hear the opinions of others. Thanks for the responses.

Oct 5, 2019
I suffer from borderline personality/ mental illness myself and if it was only demonic oppression, when I pray I wouldn't have to fight with it everyday because God would protect me from that oppression. But he does help me give me great peace.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Key words being 'all' and 'just', the answer is NO. Demons may cause mental illness and the mentally ill can be possessd. But they are two different matters. same goes with addiction. Drugs can lead to mental illness and addiction is a mental illness. Many mentally ill turn to drugs for relief. When our defenses are down we are easy prey for demons. Of those truths, I have no doubts. True addiction is when the substances or behavior has taken control of a persons will power and they need help. It can become demon like, in that manner. Often it is man made, or bio, or psycho, social but it's always spiritual in nature. I could also be the lack of a spiritual nature as well.

M

morefaithrequired

I suffer from borderline personality/ mental illness myself and if it was only demonic oppression, when I pray I wouldn't have to fight with it everyday because God would protect me from that oppression. But he does help me give me great peace.
Treat your mental illness as a separate issue from anything you read in the Bible about demons and demonic forces.

M

morefaithrequired

demonic possession?
not demonic oppression?

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I have co-occurring alcoholic/addictive disorder with major depressive disorder under control now. Jesus is my higher power and the 12 steps help as a guide to living a blessed, clean, sober and sane life now. Thank you Jesus. I am the OP of the CRA thread on the miscellaneous forum. You are invited to drop in at any time. We are not alone.

Oct 5, 2019
I have co-occurring alcoholic/addictive disorder with major depressive disorder under control now. Jesus is my higher power and the 12 steps help as a guide to living a blessed, clean, sober and sane life now. Thank you Jesus. I am the OP of the CRA thread on the miscellaneous forum. You are invited to drop in at any time. We are not alone.
Thank you for the invite, I will be sure to drop by. And I congratulate you on your recovery. God bless.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Matt 4v24 states: "Then His fame went throughout all Syria; and they brought to Him all sick people who were afflicted with various diseases and torments, and those who were demon-possessed, epileptics, and paralytics; and He healed them."

The Scriptures differentiates between demon possession and mental illness and so should we!

You can find a bit of a study Here that you should find helpful...

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
The way I have heard it explained, G-d created perfection, after the fall the earth was corrupted, there was no sickness, accidents, crime, etc before the fall these are all things that occurred after the fall, including the genome, which has been corrupted as well, this explains healing where G-d not only heals the body, He heals the genome as well.
So, all sickness, disease, accidents, etc, anything that isn't love, joy,peace, etc, isn't from the Father, they are from the other side.