Mental illness

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

student

Jul 20, 2010
anyone born into this fake-fallen world will suffer some sort of 'mental illness' in many
points of their lives - after conversion, The Holy Spirit begins the real work of healing us
and teaching us how to recognize where they came from and how to over-come them...
it's an on going process, the un-doing of satan's deceptions and deceptive ways...

we will be taught how to 'walk in our Saviour's Light, this is but one of His many gifts to us...
I concur...God bless!

dave_in_KWC

May 21, 2014
KWC, Ontario
Today, I noticed that this site permits a forum on natural food.

Logic implies to me that if there is room for a natural food forum and comments made by non-medical/nutritional professionals related to food: there could also be a forum associated with emotional health as it relates to Jesus.

U

Ugly

Logic implies to me that if there is room for a natural food forum and comments made by non-medical/nutritional professionals related to food: there could also be a forum associated with emotional health as it relates to Jesus.
But, as stated already, it would be impossible to monitor. Many on this site have quite discouraging and destructive views on mental health. The statements such people would make could be quite damaging to those suffering, thereby making the area counterproductive. The other night we had someone post a blasphemous statement against God and it was up for hours because no one was on to remove it. Situations like that are what makes having the idea of certain areas so difficult.
Not to mention not having anyone licensed on the site to provide more valid help. I think the potential for misuse and poor advice is greater than the potential good.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

There is already a forum associated with emotional health as it relates to Jesus. It's called the Bible Discussion Forum. Certain members often question the mental health of other members.

student

Jul 20, 2010
Ignorance is the worst mental illness to have. WHile some struggle with the inconvenience and uncomfortable episodes of Satan acting in their lives, others totally miss the reality of it. Jesus is coming. Thank God for that. I'm diagnosed with a mental illness, but moreso, I've found a beautiful CHristian sister who understands fully what I've been through. SHe walks with me and helps me reach for the things God intended me to have and to serve where God intended me to serve. These things I KNEW 20 years or more ago, but I was alone... very alone... If a forum helps one person know they are not alone in these damnable situations, would that not be best?

I've helped several find God...and helped others find peace. In that, I"ve been helped. That's how God works. If it were for just one, would that have been enough? Ask Schindler...or ask Jesus. Both regret any are lost. Both knew it was impossible to save them all.

I'm angry...I can't reach many more...or can I? Jesus is coming.
The signs are EVERYWHERE. Is there anyone that does not see that?

A forum may not be necessary. Keep ministering on this thread ... perhaps that's all it takes...to reach ONE.
God bless you all. -student

Dec 21, 2012
I do consider mental illness as an infirmity which is also known as a thorn in the flesh that Paul had since he was hearing voices accusing him which I believe were the devils as they do accuse the brethren day & night in Heaven.

2 Corinthians 12:[SUP]6 [/SUP]For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.[SUP]7 [/SUP]And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.[SUP] 8 [/SUP]For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. [SUP]9 [/SUP]And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

It was because of all the revelations that Paul had shared that some believers may exalt him higher than they should, and so this thorn in the flesh was granted him so that His power in him may be manifested so that believers will see obviously Him in him that is ministering and not Paul as being some great preacher or some super man of God. ( Paul was a stutterer and yet that was not enough to keep him from being exalted in the eyes of the people ).

So a messenger of Satan that buffets him does convey that he hears voices accusing him. It cannot be poor eyesight for how can that prevent people from exalting him, but hearing voices would keep people from thinking too highly of him.

When I was little, I had a hearing test to determine my hearing loss. I listened intently for the beeps and tones to raise my hand but apparently, I was raising my hands when there was no beeps nor tones. The tester thought I was faking my hearing loss like my older brother to get the same amount of attention, but fortunately, he did not have the wisdom to know I was actually hearing those sounds because if I was faking it, I would not raise my hand when there was beeps & tones. The treatment for mental illness back in those days were scary, looking back on it so I am glad the Lord made the doctor ignorant.

Anyway... time went on.. sometime I hear one of my parents say my name and yet they didn't.

Then in high school, I began to hear voices of people walking outside but there was no one there.

Now I hear them all the time.. like having an audience. They do not control me but sometimes it is like they are backseat drivers... "oh come on..." at work and stuff like that which gets on my nerve and influence me to do more or go faster or do things differently.

Then.. people start saying things to me that there is no way they could have known unless they had access to my thoughts.

One time I was driving to work at Wal-Mart at night when I had to stop to let a mother deer & two fawns to cross over. A random thought entered into my head to run both of the fawns over. It was not a voice, just a stupid random thought out of nowhere. It was hardly a temptation... like I am looking to raise my car insurance premiums or something. And so I just ignored the thought and enjoyed watching the two fawns crossing the street and my car front end was right near them too.

Then when I was at work, a cute blonde associate was getting off work and shopping in the grocery section, listening to someone on her cell phone when I was going over my freight on a pallet. She stormed over and yelled at me about wanting to run over two fawns, and then stopped abruptly, listening and then turned away while I stood there befuddled.

Anyway.. there were other incidents like that where people will say things to me that there is no way they could have known unless they had access to my thoughts somehow. And so ... it was bad enough I was having an audience that I always hear now, but this?

So my dreams during high school of people watching me behind the walls was coming true. It did tie in with my earlier prophetic dream as a tot of why I stayed away from my beloved in my dream to protect her from them, because of them watching me.

And so I am grateful that the Lord reminded me of those other prophetic dreams signifying that He is still Lord and He helps me to keep trusting Him when people do things to me to defraud, to make fun of, and even to provoke me; He carries me through it, making me dumb or oblivious to it when it is happening.

I had tried one drug for the "diagnosed mental illness" of schizophrenic paranoia", but as the doc kept upping the does and giving me the highest does and not doing hardly a thing to doing away of those voices from the "audience" and wanted me to keep taking it while adding another drug... I said no more. He helped eased me off of it & wanted till past the withdrawal time for that drug... but then something bad happened when it was well past that time. I could not fall asleep. Everytime I was about to dose off, my head would physically jolt off the pillow and keep me awake. I was near frantic and having a panic attack because I had never taken any illegal drugs and here this doc was playing Russian roulette with my mind and now I fretting that the drug changed me where now I cannot sleep. Thoughts of not having enough faith in God to stop fretting was working a guilt trip on me too.

A family doctor gave me a sedative to take the edge of and sure enough I was able to go to sleep again. I am no longer on that sedative and have not been for some years now, but still... even though that doc and the family doc wanted me to keep trying other drugs... no way. That was one nightmare I do not want to go through ever again.

So.. as weird and seemingly impossible that people are using some sort of technological access to my thoughts to sows discord with other people and provoking them to do stuff to me as if it is some kind of app that can easily be handed out, I find that I cannot go forth. I am fortunate God is having my folks shelter me and to relate to, but I do not like going out to eat or to places because of the way people act and mistreat me passively sometime.

I did not want to be on Social Security Disability and did not think the Lord wanted me on it, but after having applied, I went to the mall and I was hearing the hallelujah chorus in my head.... as if trying to assure me that the angels were praising God for providing for me in that regard so that He did wanted me on it.

I sometime hear people singing "Amazing Grace" .. not the voices from the audience... when I listened intently for it.

Sometimes other songs or stuff come when I am not listening for it... like waking up one time to hear church bells playing the theme from M.A.S.H. I thought someone was going to get in trouble hearing it at 3:15 A.M. I got up to wake up my folks but they did not hear it while yet I heard it slightly from their bedroom, but they, having better hearing, did not hear it at all.

I went back to bed even though it was louder in my room. I plugged my ear and sure enough it was not in my head. Then I kept checking it as time went on until finally, it was playing in my head and then I prayed to Jesus for help, crying as I did silently. Eventually, I went to sleep even though it had not stopped, but by morning I did not hear it any more.

It was the next morning when I found out that the original title to that theme was "Suicide Is Painless" as it was reproted on the morning news on TV. Yeah.. I know. Cue the Twilight Zone music or something.

Even one of the psych docs had thought I had imagined it... that I was getting messages from the TV. BUT, I point out to her, that she can check on the internet to confirm that IS the original title to the theme from M.A.S.H. and so I did not imagine hearing it from that morning news report on TV. I do not think she ever checked up to see that was true.

Vain is the help of man.

I know that some are getting the help they need from doctors, but it is not going to work for me since it hasn't worked for me. I even hear a string of angry shouting voices.. accusing me and stuff whenever I sin or play with it in my head...

So it's like.. I have an audience all the time... separate from that string of distant angry voices accusing me viciously in the further background.. and when I wish to listen intently, I can hear a congregation singing Amazing Grace.

So like Paul, I doubt any one will exalt me highly, and if God causes the increase, everybody should know it wasn't by my persuasion of my speech, but by the Spirit's power. I am nothing as Paul said.

So I admit my helplessness in trying to recover any brother or sister astray or helping them to see the truth in His words so that they may repent. I can only hope God is peradventuring to recover any from the snares of the devil.

So there is a lot of things I need the Lord's help with as I trust Him & hope in Him as my Friend & Good Shepherd to carry me all the way Home as He is helping me to fear no evil for He is with me always, walking me through this valley of death.

Mental illness is an infirmity in the flesh, and for some, a thorn in the flesh, but like any physical infirmity, the Lord Jesus Christ being in us and is with us always, will help us to rest in Him to carry us through by the grace of God & His help.

It would be good if there was a forum for saved believers suffering with that thorn in the flesh to come together to support one another, but I point out that Jesus Christ is in us and is with us always to be our constant help and Friend all the time when you cannot find anyone else.

student

Jul 20, 2010
Dearest Enow,

I have similar experiences. One friend felt it was a reflection of the buttons on my coat, and his, that caused this.

I have memories of demons...strange memories. Children were watching television and laughed at the characters. Suddenly, it became apparent it was no television, but black magic. For the TV personality moved in an odd way and looked at them in a stern fashion. Then the creatures came from behind the TV and took them away.

You have perhaps seen a cartoon of sorts, the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. The devil whispers temptation...as "run over the deer"...while the angel speaks truth of glory.

I firmly believe it is that to which we hear. Moreover, it is biblical that Satan deceives us.

"At the name of Jesus, every knee shall bow..."

I have relied on "Jesus'" precious name for decades now. It took at least one decade to learn of the power in that name.

I take medication, I stop medication...currently I do not.

However, without the name of "Jesus", I would be a vegetable for sure. EIther out of my mind or dead. I, alone, could not stand up against the power of the demons that sought to destroy me.

I tried to commit suicide 3 times. A fourth consideration, and God said, "You do that, you go to hell."
A born rebel, I fought with Him an entire weekend before I gave up...and fought for me.
My words were as such, "O.K. I'll stay alive, but... it must be like this and this and this...and so on."
I think God smiled.
My worst battle that I feared at that time was relatively calm and didn't come to pass. Years later, the same man who antagonized me then and bullied me, tried to complete that task. I looked at him with near pity and much disbelief.
I won the battle twice, in other words.

I worked in a convenience store. To be honest, I hated to say the name "Jesus", for so many use it to blaspheme the Lord. I was raised under such a condition and it was horrid. So when I was attacked, I went to the pop cooler and filled sodas. There I sang, "Jesus Loves Me" over and over until the enemy had to leave.

Satan roars like a lion seeking to destroy a person. He is NOT the lion. He is the mouse that squeaks. Jesus is the King of Judah. The Lion that roars with Hope and Peace and eternal blessings. He loves you and I and knows we suffer greatly.

Satan has kept me out of the Word...so tonight I fear as I open it again...hoping for clarity...only to find tears.

Yet, God allows me to witness to Hope for someone else. We are asked to discern the messengers. and messages.
Trust God...call on the name of Jesus...loud or soft, He hears you.

There is healing. There is truth. There is hope and life eternal in heaven. Ask JEsus in your heart and remember, 'When I am weak, then I am strong."

God came over me one morning, HIs presence so strong, I could barely move. I asked someone, they doubted, yet it answers that question. For God does the battle. He says, "Fear not, for the battle is not yours, but the Lord's." I am weak...yet in my weakest moment I turn to the Lord. He has done all, not I .

God bless! Love -student

student

Jul 20, 2010
I forgot to mention, the "mind reading". I had that 'symptom' as well. I thought others knew my thoughts and at times, they used it against me...yet it is with the discernment that I overcame this. That discernment, "THese things are lies and not of God", was usually the answer as well as calling on the name of Jesus. And freeing myself of all sin. I could not understand why some sinned horribly, yet attacked me...but God uses all things to reach us. I stopped drinking years ago, stopped smoking now for three months. I stopped many things I had once done. Satan seeks the 'set apart" to work on.

LIke a Hyena to deer. They dont fight the herd, but the culled one who falls behind...they attack the little one. The little one is the sheep God uses to save many.

We know this as we know David...a little brother who became a shepherd and then a King.
As well as a grandfather to the Lord.

My guess is he cried many tears and sought the Lord in his distress...God tested him. First with love of sheep.
SEcond with a lion.
Third with a bear.
Fourth with Goliath.

David knew his Lord by the fourth trial very well.

We can know Him too. The last will be first. The first will be last.

People laughed that I didn't "get it". And said, "Do it yourself!"
I couldn't and none helped...though some tried.

I opened devotionals when I could not read the word fully. At least I could read of God...and eventually He spoke to me....loudly.

Yet, it grieves me not to be able to read the bible.

God knows my heart.

Prayers always welcome...forever a student of God.

Dec 21, 2012
Dearest Enow,

I have similar experiences. One friend felt it was a reflection of the buttons on my coat, and his, that caused this.

I have memories of demons...strange memories. Children were watching television and laughed at the characters. Suddenly, it became apparent it was no television, but black magic. For the TV personality moved in an odd way and looked at them in a stern fashion. Then the creatures came from behind the TV and took them away.

You have perhaps seen a cartoon of sorts, the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. The devil whispers temptation...as "run over the deer"...while the angel speaks truth of glory.

I firmly believe it is that to which we hear. Moreover, it is biblical that Satan deceives us.

"At the name of Jesus, every knee shall bow..."

I have relied on "Jesus'" precious name for decades now. It took at least one decade to learn of the power in that name.

I take medication, I stop medication...currently I do not.

However, without the name of "Jesus", I would be a vegetable for sure. EIther out of my mind or dead. I, alone, could not stand up against the power of the demons that sought to destroy me.

I tried to commit suicide 3 times. A fourth consideration, and God said, "You do that, you go to hell."
Dearest student,

We are not to believe every spirit but test them. I do not believe God said that only because you have His seal. However, the reason I do not commit suicide is that if I should face Him, He may say.. "Why didn't you trust Me as your Friend to help you through it?" and I would be ashamed. Committing suicide is not of faith which is why it would not please God at all. I look back at what He has carried me through for strength and for hope that He will carry me through the next or whatever I am going through currently as I do hate my life, and thanks to Him, I ma far more willing to leave it when the Bridegroom comes for me... so it is okay to have a desire to depart but not by suicide. We would both certainly have more thanksgiving and praises to give Him when He brings us Home in how He helped us through all our bad times.

When the devil played church bells at 3:15 A.M. of the theme from M.A.S.H. from which the original title is "Suicide Is Painless", He has taught me to ignore such temptations from the devil, including any thoughts from him.

A born rebel, I fought with Him an entire weekend before I gave up...and fought for me.
My words were as such, "O.K. I'll stay alive, but... it must be like this and this and this...and so on."
I think God smiled.
My worst battle that I feared at that time was relatively calm and didn't come to pass. Years later, the same man who antagonized me then and bullied me, tried to complete that task. I looked at him with near pity and much disbelief.
I won the battle twice, in other words.

I worked in a convenience store. To be honest, I hated to say the name "Jesus", for so many use it to blaspheme the Lord. I was raised under such a condition and it was horrid. So when I was attacked, I went to the pop cooler and filled sodas. There I sang, "Jesus Loves Me" over and over until the enemy had to leave.

Satan roars like a lion seeking to destroy a person. He is NOT the lion. He is the mouse that squeaks. Jesus is the King of Judah. The Lion that roars with Hope and Peace and eternal blessings. He loves you and I and knows we suffer greatly.

Satan has kept me out of the Word...so tonight I fear as I open it again...hoping for clarity...only to find tears.

Yet, God allows me to witness to Hope for someone else. We are asked to discern the messengers. and messages.
Trust God...call on the name of Jesus...loud or soft, He hears you.

There is healing. There is truth. There is hope and life eternal in heaven. Ask JEsus in your heart and remember, 'When I am weak, then I am strong."

God came over me one morning, HIs presence so strong, I could barely move. I asked someone, they doubted, yet it answers that question.
Per my experience and in according to His words, we are not to believe every spirit ( John 4:1-6 ) but test them. I was at Ernest Angeley's Healing Crusade brought there by my folks when I was in high school to get healing for my deaf ear and the tinnitus in my right ear for two days. On the last day.. Sunday... I felt a tickling in my deaf ear, but that was it. The next day after school, I was unusually tired and had to take a nap. When I woke up, there was an eerie sound as I could not lift my head up. I was paralyzed and could not hardly move. I started praying to Jesus for help, and was able to flex my right wrist, and then the left.. then I lifted my right forearm slightly, and then the left... and then when I lifted my right shoulder off of the mattress, then it was like a huge weight blanket rolled off and I was able to move again freely.

Ernest Angeley's Healing Crusade focused on the "Holy Spirit" coming to bring healing and causing some people to fall down. Sometimes he announces before that spirit hits with a "Whooooooooooooooo..............." and a slap on the forehead or shoulder before a person falls and sometime they don't.

Anyway... Paul warned about the falling away from the faith in the latter days in how some will give heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils in 1 Timothy 4:1-2 and so he reminds believers of the tradition taught of us that we had received the sanctification of the Spirit & the belief of the truth at the calling of the gospel. 2 Thessalonians 2:13-15

So we had received the Holy Spirit at our salvation when we had first come to & believed in Him. It is this truth that you & I should rest in. this faith in Jesus Christ that He is in us and is with us always so that we may be able to test the spirits that whenever any other spirit comes over us, and it will be real and powerful and even give feelings of great peace.. love.. joy...( I would definitely call that the effects of seducing spirits as some unbelievers can experience that in Khundalini, an eastern mysticism during their meditation/yoga session ) but yet at the same time.. confusion ... a loss of self control which goes against temperance, a fruit of the Spirit which is self control... and God is not the author of confusion.

Paul warned against those who preach another Jesus, another spirit, or another gospel to receive; 2 Corinthians 11:1-4

So I do not doubt your experience nor mine, ( and I have had other experiences as well ) but in according to His words, that was not God's Presence you felt when He was already in you as promised and ha never left you. Jesus Christ is in us ( 2 Corinthians 13:5 ) and is with us always and that is who we can tell when a spirit is not of Him when it falls on us or fill us or impress upon us its presence around us... that is the spirit of the antichrist that is IN the world and so take heart that greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world; 1 John 4:4

For God does the battle. He says, "Fear not, for the battle is not yours, but the Lord's." I am weak...yet in my weakest moment I turn to the Lord. He has done all, not I .
1 John 4:1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.....[SUP]4 [/SUP]Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

It is as you say. I believe the Lord fought for you when you did not know what was really going on for He is in you. So you do not need to ask for Him to come because He is in you and is with you always.

Colossians 1:[SUP]26 [/SUP]Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:[SUP] 27 [/SUP]To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:[SUP]28 [/SUP]Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

2 Corinthians 11:1 Would to God ye could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me.[SUP] 2 [/SUP]For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.[SUP] 3 [/SUP]But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.[SUP] 4 [/SUP]For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

2 Corinthians 13:[SUP]5 [/SUP]Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Matthew 28:[SUP]20 [/SUP]Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

God bless! Love -student
May God bless you with the knowledge of His Son being in you and is with you always to walk you through this valley of death to fear no evil for He is with us.

In Christ's Love, Enow

[video=youtube;_rR_Rdb1CTE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rR_Rdb1CTE[/video]

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2012
Dearest student,

I know that most believers do not like when I discern by Him what is not really God's Presence or God's voice.

If you consider that when a believer expects to supernaturally feel God's Presence every time they call....then what happens when they do not feel what they thought was God's Presence?

That is what happens to some saved believers in these movements of the "Spirit" where they believe it is the Holy Spirit falling on them every time they ask for Him to fall on them.... and then it stops. Then they feel like God has abandoned them.

Some were drug addicts or alcoholics seeking that high from the Lord and then when it stops, they go right back to their addiction.

Some believers sought the same experience and when it never happened to them, they believed they were of the devil.

So this is why I say it cannot be of Him when any saved believer felt what they believe was His Presence in the room or around them or coming over them or even filling them, bringing tongues without interpretation or some other signs of confusion.

I am just sharing the truth in the face of the devil and seducing spirits that Jesus Christ has been in us since we were saved at the calling of the gospel. We can rest in Him knowing He is in us and is with us always to help us face any trial in life even in the face of supernatural event that try to make us dependent on it when His words says He is in us & will never leave us.

So when I feel like I have sinned against the Lord or did something terrible that the devil would make me doubt I was ever a believer, He reminds me that He has been in me since I had been saved and that He can never leave me for His is faithful, but I can turn to Him for forgiveness of sins and for help to keep me from my sins and to have His peace in the midst of the storms in my life.

I hope in Him that He may convey the truth in my words to you that you need not call for Him to "come" when He is in you and that all you need to do is ask for help in getting you through whatever ordeal you are going through, knowing you are not alone ever.

student

Jul 20, 2010
There is a song by ?Sidewalk Prophets? I think. The verse states, "The only time I saw you run was when you ran to me."

I tried to make sense of it and I guess I opened a door. I'm not a good discerner. I'm scared, to be honest.

Thanks for being a true Christian...and for the prayers. -student

dave_in_KWC

May 21, 2014
KWC, Ontario
But, as stated already, it would be impossible to monitor. Many on this site have quite discouraging and destructive views on mental health. The statements such people would make could be quite damaging to those suffering, thereby making the area counterproductive. The other night we had someone post a blasphemous statement against God and it was up for hours because no one was on to remove it. Situations like that are what makes having the idea of certain areas so difficult.
Not to mention not having anyone licensed on the site to provide more valid help. I think the potential for misuse and poor advice is greater than the potential good.
I'm ordained and registered (or licensed) in this area of expertise and would be willing to serve in this way here on this site. I think it is THAT important as a potential ministry or area of service, here.

U

Ugly

I'm ordained and registered (or licensed) in this area of expertise and would be willing to serve in this way here on this site. I think it is THAT important as a potential ministry or area of service, here.
So you could monitor them 24/7/365?
My point was people that don't believe in mental illness are often destructive. There is no way to prevent them from posting. You skipped responding to that part of my response.

I never said or implied it was not important, but at the same time you have to have a realistic view of the possible negatives as well.

Feb 28, 2016
every true Christian is 'licensed' in counseling those that need help, as they are
being healed day-by-day themselves, and are being taught from what they have
and are being delivered from, plus the why's and how's...
of course there are varying stages as we grow, but with The Holy Spirit as our Guide/Leader,
if our hearts are in the right place and sincere, we can and are always more than willing to help
others where we have once been broken, and to share our different over-comings as we continually
grow in our Saviour's ways and in His Grace and His Holy Love for His for children...

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I have been a long time member in a health forum, which I found when I was looking for help about an RA issues. (Actually to do with a surgery that RA forced, and then the bone wouldn't heal). There were forums for everything, all run on a secular basis. Then, there were member run forums, somewhat like the private forums here. There were many Christian forums, and I started posting in them.

One day, a member from the Depression Forum posted in a Christian Forum, that the Depression and Bipolar Forums in particular, had crisis sections, where members who were depressed or suicidal, or needing to help someone could post. There were usually trigger warnings. This person suggested we all needed to go into these forums, and bring Jesus to these hurting people. I thought that was a great idea! I had gone through depression associated with my RA, so I went into that forum, and started posting and making friends.

Well, these people were REALLY depressed! I admit, it was too much for me. So, I spent some time in the bipolar forum, and met a lot of interesting people. There were depressed people, but most of the members were diagnosed and on meds, and liked to have a lot of fun! So, I did gradually meet people, and made comments, and generally tried to fit in. There were Community Leaders (CLs) who were mods, and they covered for each other. Some of these people spent way too much time on line. But, they were there both to help people, and to ban those who were trolls (yep, in every forum)

Which is a long explanation to say that when you set up a forum for the mentally ill, you don't have to assume responsibility for whatever ails them. And yes, people do try and commit suicide, and sadly they succeed. A long time friend of mine from England, who was incredibly supportive of the other members took her life this summer. She was in my bipolar group on FB, (which came out of a lot of members getting banned for being bipolar, and a change in the health forum's format, which did not work.). We recognized she was manic, and spent a lot of time, as a group, and as individuals trying to convince her not to sell everything and buy a Euro-rail pass and stop her meds and see the world.

Well, she never got to Europe, obviously went from one extreme to another. She certainly was not the responsibility of the health forum. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, people do make the final decision. She had been on many meds, and had a huge mental health team in Britain. But, in the end, she made her own choices.

Anyway, I do support a mental health forum, and I would be willing to help out with it, too. I don't know a huge amount about schizophrenia, although I can recognize psychosis in posts. As for personality disorders, well, that is something I have issues with. But only because I grew up in a family with PDs, and got really hurt because of it. And of course, I got over the hurt, with the help of God. But, still, PDs make me wary. Just to be honest.

I think a Christian mental health forum would be a forum whose time has come. But, I would find a way to ban people from that forum, with the "Jesus will heal you if you only try harder," type of attitude. They could go in the other forums, but just not the mental health forums. Mental health issues are so massive these days. It would only be peer help, I think that needs to be understood. And I think it could be very positive and work!

7seasrekeyed

it is my opinion, that every Christian is NOT capable of counselling and that anyone who does counsel, should have both a modicum of actual education in the field, actual experience counselling and the ability to hold open counsel and not be quick to label, judge or throw Jesus at people

as a Christian, we should recognize that not all of us are qualified or capable of actually providing help to those who may or not reach out for it

reading Angela's post above, should create a 'pause' in the minds of anyone who thinks they can just jump in with a Bible and a prayer.

Anyone can pray...yes! Anyone as a Christian can counsel...no absolutely no!

just my 2 cents

Feb 28, 2016
drugging is poison - God's Word, it heals, pray to Him and ask for the balance you need to heal...

7seasrekeyed

drugging is poison - God's Word, it heals, pray to Him and ask for the balance you need to heal...

that's a bit extreme

and one reason why everyone cannot or should be a counsellor

have you ever seen a schizophrenic off their 'poison'?

if you go to the dentist and need work done, do you tell him/her no freezing?

I do understand what you are saying, but counselling is best left to those God has called to do it because people DO need to be counselled for various reasons

we don't want to go back to the dark ages and blame everything on the devil and torture the demons out of people

you may not like what I just wrote, but balance is called for and not blame, accusation and yes, medical doctors need to play a part and in fact if the problems are big enough, a physical exam absolutely should be carried out first

of course prayer more than just 'helps'. I believe God gives skill and guidance to the medical field when we pray for answers

Feb 5, 2017
The problem with prescription drugs, is that people can rely on them so heavily, that it weakens them spiritually. I find this especially true in those who have forgotten what not taking meds is like. Who were they? Do they even remember? Are they themselves now? There are two major things that happen as a side-effect, tiredness (loss of energy) and apathy (lack of emotion).

In fighting things out, ably, you are learning. But you can just take the heroin (giving an extreme example of human condition) and all your problems go away.

I support prescription drugs temporarily, but not permanently. If you need to take them permanently, then you need to speak to God about it. I'm sure he would rather you were well and healthy - naturally.

I base this on many cases where people have suffered an extreme mental disorder, and while getting the support of drugs initially, fought it out and overcame it often without counselling. God is ALWAYS on your side. But not everyone is a fighter. Many give up, or make excuses, like it's God purpose for you, or 'the doctors said so it must be true (obviously because they are God?!)'.

It all comes from you, it doesn't come from another person unless they are able to inspire you to make it come from you. And my anti- might say, no it comes from God, but you are taking it out of context, you are the one in control or not in control, of letting God heal you, or not heal you. You can even say God made me permanently mentally ill for a purpose - well that's a self-fulfilling prophecy to make sure you are permanently that way.

I'm optimist about people and their mental health. Those who are pessimistic (which is a symptom of it) are often against that. There is nothing wrong with saying I'm broken, my brain isn't functioning right. But it takes a lot of love and compassion to help people with mental health issues, which is something quite rare in the clinical institute. They would rather put you in a box, until you agree that you are the box. And then you are like hey I'm happy I found the box I'm in. Such people will often speak FOR mental illness as if it has some purpose.

But I think it often has a root cause, a root circumstance, a root experience, but because such things can be traumatic, a lot of the time people would rather become mentally ill than talk about it. Take the drugs to suppress it and not face it. And that is what can be a major cause of it, keeping something to yourself. But if the drugs keep away dealing with it sometimes on a constant basis, whether that is negative thoughts, voices, self-pity, self-loathing, then you haven't really learnt how to do it the hard way.

We often live in an unloving world, where that support that can keep us aligned might be hard to find. Where mental health is stigmatised. So we turn to the clinical institute of symptoms, not the 'hows' and 'whys'.

dave_in_KWC

May 21, 2014
KWC, Ontario
Student, I am not sure where to find the stats but anecdotally I’d say that percentage is HIGHER amongst believers in Jesus...