Moderators

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

DWR

Is it proper for a site moderator to join in a discussion and take sides?
Am I putting myself in danger of being banned by disagreeing with a moderators position?

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
A) Persons who are Moderators on this site have no requirement to check their opinions at the door.

B) There are only 2 persons who curently have ban authority (ability) within the forums and neither of us carry the badge "Moderator". Personally I tend to give persons who disagree with me within the forums a whole boat load more latitude than I would to that same person responding to other users. At any rate, we don't ban people for "disagreeing" with site staff on doctrinal issues unless those disagreements wander into blatant heresy.

D

DWR

A) Persons who are Moderators on this site have no requirement to check their opinions at the door.

B) There are only 2 persons who curently have ban authority (ability) within the forums and neither of us carry the badge "Moderator". Personally I tend to give persons who disagree with me within the forums a whole boat load more latitude than I would to that same person responding to other users. At any rate, we don't ban people for "disagreeing" with site staff on doctrinal issues unless those disagreements wander into blatant heresy.
Please define blatant heresy when it comes to speaking in tongues.
Those who believe it according to Scripture or those who do not.
Not trying to offend , just want to know where I stand.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Please define blatant heresy when it comes to speaking in tongues.
Those who believe it according to Scripture or those who do not.
Not trying to offend , just want to know where I stand.
When it comes to speaking in tongues I would say there is no such thing as heresy since it is a subject of debate within the church. In reality (personally) I would say that both extremes are equally in error but there is a great bit of difference between bad doctrine and heresy. When I use the term heresy I am speaking of clearly defined breaks from orthodox, historical Christianity such as the Divinity of Christ, and the Trinity.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
When it comes to speaking in tongues I would say there is no such thing as heresy since it is a subject of debate within the church. In reality (personally) I would say that both extremes are equally in error but there is a great bit of difference between bad doctrine and heresy. When I use the term heresy I am speaking of clearly defined breaks from orthodox, historical Christianity such as the Divinity of Christ, and the Trinity.
Speaking in tongues is clearly listed by Paul as one of nine gifts of the Holy Spirit and cannot be termed as heresy.

D

DWR

Speaking in tongues is clearly listed by Paul as one of nine gifts of the Holy Spirit and cannot be termed as heresy.
If I state that what is termed " speaking in tongues " as practiced today is in no way what Paul referred to as one of the nine gifts, would you call that heresy?

Here is my concern====
I had a moderator show his disagreement with several of my comments with a big red X.
I took that as a warning that I was on the wrong side of the discussion and had best back off.

L

lenna

If I state that what is termed " speaking in tongues " as practiced today is in no way what Paul referred to as one of the nine gifts, would you call that heresy?

Here is my concern====
I had a moderator show his disagreement with several of my comments with a big red X.
I took that as a warning that I was on the wrong side of the discussion and had best back off
well I know the thread in question

you read into the OP as well, stating things were said that were not said

no one told you to back off either. that, is your own interpretation and oncefallen has addressed that

if you are looking for action against a moderator, this is not the route to go

so your concern is truly your own concern

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017

Here is my concern====
I took that as a warning that I was on the wrong side of the discussion and had best back off.
@DWR -

Listen, you and all of us are loved greatly by God and when we disagree it's really NOT a big deal. It's a "so what" moment.

Hold on to your peace and choose to not be upset about it. If I'm wrong, God will fix me and if you're wrong, God will fix you or perhaps we're BOTH wrong either way....it's still GOD that does the "fixing."

As brothers and sisters in Christ, we really just need to walk in kindness and mutual respect and love for each other.

If you are concerned about a Moderator giving you a red X, just ask the Moderator openly if you are in trouble. No need to fear a Moderator when they disagree with you.

God loves you, DWR! I know because Jesus Christ died for you. You are loved and accepted! :love:(y)

D

DWR

@DWR -

Listen, you and all of us are loved greatly by God and when we disagree it's really NOT a big deal. It's a "so what" moment.

Hold on to your peace and choose to not be upset about it. If I'm wrong, God will fix me and if you're wrong, God will fix you or perhaps we're BOTH wrong either way....it's still GOD that does the "fixing."

As brothers and sisters in Christ, we really just need to walk in kindness and mutual respect and love for each other.

If you are concerned about a Moderator giving you a red X, just ask the Moderator openly if you are in trouble. No need to fear a Moderator when they disagree with you.

God loves you, DWR! I know because Jesus Christ died for you. You are loved and accepted! :love:(y)
Thank you for your post. I do not mean to be rude in what I am about to say.
I have 341 post in my 6 months here. This site is just not really that important to me. It fills in time when the weather does not allow me to be outside.
What others think of me and what i believe has zero effect on me and my great relationship with my Lord.
I have learned over my 76 years that once a person makes up their mind, we have little or no influence on what others belief when it comes to the Bible.

I have been to many debates. NEVER did I see a moderator voice their opinion or take sides until I saw it on this site,
It seemed strange and inappropriate to me. If a person wants to be part of a discussion/debate they should resign as a moderator in my opinion.
And since I have seen people banned without knowing why, I wanted to know where I stood.

As for as my calling out a poster, it was based on what he had said on a like topic that he has never denied.
Enough of this foolishness.
Ya'll have fun.

Feb 28, 2016
DWR,
you are very sensitive, and this is a good thing, but it must always be tempered with tolerance,
and the realization that 'mods' are just the same as you concerning their feelings, and have the
same right to express them, after all, they are just regular people with some perks that the
rest of us don't have in the site, and for very good reasons!
would you want to be a mod in here? most of us would not, for we already are, if Christian, mods'
in/for the whole-wide-world - this is a full-time-job in itself!
imagine what it must be like to be one in here, along with being one out 'there???...

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Thank you for your post. I do not mean to be rude in what I am about to say.
I have 341 post in my 6 months here. This site is just not really that important to me. It fills in time when the weather does not allow me to be outside.
What others think of me and what i believe has zero effect on me and my great relationship with my Lord.
I have learned over my 76 years that once a person makes up their mind, we have little or no influence on what others belief when it comes to the Bible.

I have been to many debates. NEVER did I see a moderator voice their opinion or take sides until I saw it on this site,
It seemed strange and inappropriate to me. If a person wants to be part of a discussion/debate they should resign as a moderator in my opinion.
And since I have seen people banned without knowing why, I wanted to know where I stood.

As for as my calling out a poster, it was based on what he had said on a like topic that he has never denied.
Enough of this foolishness.
Ya'll have fun.
You will always stand.......Loved by God, no matter what others think or respond to you or what you think and respond to yourself! God loves you and that's the end of the matter! Amen. :love:(y)

Now, when it comes to debating what is TRUE.......well, there are a lot of smoking mirrors and rabbit trails that lead NO WHERE! lol! :giggle:

That's why when I end up disagreeing with another person over and over, then I just give it a rest and move on. Some want to keep badgering the topic but, not me........I give it a rest. There's just no reason to keep arguing because tempers start to rise and nothing good is said after that. :(

So, please take a break whenever and as often as you need to but, do come back......eventually, we're all get along! Much love to you!!! :love:(y)

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
:ROFL:

Did you really mean to use the phrase 'smoke and mirrors'?
If they didn't take it as the holy spirit injecting levity where it is needed at this time.:LOL:

DWR has left the building if their last post is any indicator. At their supposed age it is surprising they'd be that upset over an issue that was explained in the original thread where their concerns arose. I read that thread. Perhaps they're not as old as they say?
Stating this site isn't that important to them after taking issue in the aforementioned thread and even after numerous explanations for the redX were explained, then writing this thread, imparts to me at least that this site is important or else they wouldn't be so passionate in the OP and subsequent replies.

DWR, if you return and read this thread please consider you live in a world where there are different opinions on any subject. And not everyone agrees with everyone else. What a boring life that would be.
Don't take encounters on the internet personally. We are all anonymous here regardless of our names as they appear in posts.

Getting emotional over typed words can drive your nerves and steal your peace of mind. You know what you believe and mean when you type your own words in a forum. Hold to that.
Because in my experience you'll find people who thrive on misrepresenting what you say just to bait you for an emotional rise/response. They love that.

I encountered someone like that once. Over and over again they'd claim I said something I never did. Finally, after repeatedly stating the facts I never did say what they claimed, I yelled to get my point across. Yelling in a discussion forum where we exchange in text conversations occurs when we USE CAPITAL LETTERS.
I intended to get my point across to even that most dedicated troll. Not because they worked my emotions as they intended to do but so as to denounce their fallen transparent efforts for what they were.

You don't have to suffer people who mean to hurt you. You don't have to let them get a dig in either. Ignore them, scroll past when you read their name at the top of a post they made that you know intends to aggravate you. Like I said, there are people in the world who thrive on stoking controversy.

My twin use to say, never let anyone rob you of your peace.

If you're reading this I hope you are well. God bless.

D

DWR

If they didn't take it as the holy spirit injecting levity where it is needed at this time.:LOL:

DWR has left the building if their last post is any indicator. At their supposed age it is surprising they'd be that upset over an issue that was explained in the original thread where their concerns arose. I read that thread. Perhaps they're not as old as they say?
Stating this site isn't that important to them after taking issue in the aforementioned thread and even after numerous explanations for the redX were explained, then writing this thread, imparts to me at least that this site is important or else they wouldn't be so passionate in the OP and subsequent replies.

DWR, if you return and read this thread please consider you live in a world where there are different opinions on any subject. And not everyone agrees with everyone else. What a boring life that would be.
Don't take encounters on the internet personally. We are all anonymous here regardless of our names as they appear in posts.

Getting emotional over typed words can drive your nerves and steal your peace of mind. You know what you believe and mean when you type your own words in a forum. Hold to that.
Because in my experience you'll find people who thrive on misrepresenting what you say just to bait you for an emotional rise/response. They love that.

I encountered someone like that once. Over and over again they'd claim I said something I never did. Finally, after repeatedly stating the facts I never did say what they claimed, I yelled to get my point across. Yelling in a discussion forum where we exchange in text conversations occurs when we USE CAPITAL LETTERS.
I intended to get my point across to even that most dedicated troll. Not because they worked my emotions as they intended to do but so as to denounce their fallen transparent efforts for what they were.

You don't have to suffer people who mean to hurt you. You don't have to let them get a dig in either. Ignore them, scroll past when you read their name at the top of a post they made that you know intends to aggravate you. Like I said, there are people in the world who thrive on stoking controversy.

My twin use to say, never let anyone rob you of your peace.

If you're reading this I hope you are well. God bless.
I an not upset at all. This old man has been around long enough to know what is important and what is not.
My point about this site not being important to me simply means that I can take it or leave it. Seems some feel differently.
As I stated, I find it strange that a rep of this site would take sides in a discussion and use some of the harsh words he often uses.
Must admit I sometimes get angry when people suggest or say that I am lacking in my spiritual life because I do not "speak in tongues".
Well the rain has stopped and the sun has come out so it is time to get outside.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
I an not upset at all. This old man has been around long enough to know what is important and what is not.
My point about this site not being important to me simply means that I can take it or leave it. Seems some feel differently.
As I stated, I find it strange that a rep of this site would take sides in a discussion and use some of the harsh words he often uses.
Must admit I sometimes get angry when people suggest or say that I am lacking in my spiritual life because I do not "speak in tongues".
Well the rain has stopped and the sun has come out so it is time to get outside.
It's good you decided not to leave it.
Enjoy the day. I love the outdoors myself.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
Am I putting myself in danger of being banned by disagreeing with a moderators position?
What bothers me is the moderator here who replies with abusive language and I am right and you are wrong attitude.

Plus, when a person gets banned without warning and expected to be in the sin bin until the moderator decides otherwise.

This makes a mockery of forgiving your brother seventy times seven which means no one should be banned on a first offence.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
What bothers me is the moderator here who replies with abusive language and I am right and you are wrong attitude.

Plus, when a person gets banned without warning and expected to be in the sin bin until the moderator decides otherwise.

This makes a mockery of forgiving your brother seventy times seven which means no one should be banned on a first offence.

I get abused all the time and in most cases I let it go through to the keeper as I have got better things to do.

ignore the previous post as I can't delete it because of the 5 minute rule.