Modest dress

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 14, 2019
So I'm part of a group called Holiness and it emphasizes modest dress. The women wear skirts and the men wear long sleeve shirts. Shorts are forbidden. So where do you place modest dress. How much skin should we cover.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
So I'm part of a group called Holiness and it emphasizes modest dress. The women wear skirts and the men wear long sleeve shirts. Shorts are forbidden. So where do you place modest dress. How much skin should we cover.
I think that should be a matter for each individual congregation. There are a lot of congregations I simply will have nothing to do with exactly for this reason. If a group doesn't at least have a policy on what constitutes modesty I see no point in fellowshipping with them. The Bible teaches modesty and we should too.

I've been in churches where women had on tight jeans and short shorts. Men also in tight jeans and tight T-shirts, showing off their rip. Unfortunately, these people are clueless. However, it can become legalistic and I would avoid that too.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I will not judge others. I myself came out of a liberal environment and was desensitized by it.

I am now trying to regain a taste and desire for holiness that has been lost to recent generations. I, as for myself, have joined with Holiness people. Revelry and partying can wait for the wedding.

Matthew 26:29
“But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.”

As for clothing, if women knew how their dress (or lack thereof) affected little boys (and old men), I sure they would reconsider.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
It's really not so much about women dressing in a manner that prevents men from lusting after them; although that's part of it. Some men could see their mother in granny panties and get turned on. Men have to also learn self-control.

But Christian men and women should reflect holiness in their dress. Not all, but many men and women of the world try to dress in ways that reflect their worldly attitudes. They try to be as fashionable as possible; or try to look sexy; or dress in a way that makes them look like they have a lot of money; or are powerful. Christian men and women should dress in a way that reflects humility and submissiveness to the Lord.

Mar 4, 2020
While I generally agree with the principal of modest dress, health and safety is a greater concern. If dressing modestly leads to a safety hazard then what's the point?

I wouldn't blame someone for not dressing modestly in 100° F weather with 90% relative humidity. The humidity is the real killer in this kind of heat, such as is the case in the tropics. Literally no one is walking around in pants and a long sleeve shirt or long dress and long sleeved blouse. Everyone's hiding inside, but those who go out are using an umbrella and not dressing modestly.

So not getting a heat stroke is a higher priority than catering to people who can't control their eyes. Maybe the solution in the end is to encourage others to be have more self-control and conviction.

P

Polar

if only people's minds would go along with such modesty

just regular clothes should be fine ie. would you wear short shorts to the office? or muscle shirts? probably not

follow suit (pardon the half pun)

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
if only people's minds would go along with such modesty

just regular clothes should be fine ie. would you wear short shorts to the office? or muscle shirts? probably not

follow suit (pardon the half pun)
You can have half a pardon

L

Locoponydirtman

Thats not even what scripture is refering to.
It say nothing about how long or short or what ever clothes are. It refers directly to wearing gold amd jewelry and braided hair all of these are flaunting wealth. Bother to read the scrilture with out impossing your thoughts on it. Read it for what it says.

L

Locoponydirtman

I giess poor folks who can only afford t shirts and walmart pants are forbidden from the kingdom of heaven.
I guess a woman who has repented of her wicked ways but cant afford to change her wardrobe in damned to eternal .

But if you can wear the vestments of investment bankers and politicians you are good to go.

Because the fishermen that jesus chose to deliver the gospel to the world had well talored suits

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Sounds a bit legalistic. I get being modest, but dictating how people should dress and what they can't wear isn't about an individuals walk and relationship with God, it's about conforming to rules set by humans. That's not a changed heart.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
I giess poor folks who can only afford t shirts and walmart pants are forbidden from the kingdom of heaven.
I guess a woman who has repented of her wicked ways but cant afford to change her wardrobe in damned to eternal .

But if you can wear the vestments of investment bankers and politicians you are good to go.

Because the fishermen that jesus chose to deliver the gospel to the world had well talored suits
And on one Passover, if I remember correctly, Matthew got everyone embroidered handkerchiefs to complete the ensemble.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
Part of modesty deals with showing of nakedness and that's defined a couple places in the Bible. I don't see any reason to impose dress standards higher than God's Word describes, except for obvious reasons of weather and practicality.

The other part of modesty deals with that of drawing attention to oneself as someone already quoted above. Keeping that in mind, who would be less modest in America, a normal fashionable dress (on a woman I must add), or the Muslim women that I posted above?