Modest dress

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Still searching for a church that bans corduroy. That incessant Vit Vit Vit when walking… [shudders]

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
So I'm part of a group called Holiness and it emphasizes modest dress. The women wear skirts and the men wear long sleeve shirts. Shorts are forbidden. So where do you place modest dress. How much skin should we cover.
For women, as long as you don't show moderate or heavy cleevage or wear something that shows, or could potentially, show underwear. You shouldn't wear "sexy" attire to church, such as very high heels, etc. I think it matters on the combination of clothes too.

For men, obviously no tank tops or European policeman shorts. I think men's regular shorts are modest in general but I could see why wearing shorts could be considered disrespectful.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Still searching for a church that bans corduroy. That incessant Vit Vit Vit when walking… [shudders]
Lol...I not only still have my corduroy suit but a nice polyester leisure suit complete with Magnum PI shirt. So if the Church of Perpetual Noise or the Aloha Church ever come into existence, I'm ready.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
For women, as long as you don't show moderate or heavy cleevage or wear something that shows, or could potentially, show underwear. You shouldn't wear "sexy" attire to church, such as very high heels, etc. I think it matters on the combination of clothes too.

For men, obviously no tank tops or European policeman shorts. I think men's regular shorts are modest in general but I could see why wearing shorts could be considered disrespectful.
The priests were to wear shorts under the priestly garment.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
So I'm part of a group called Holiness and it emphasizes modest dress. The women wear skirts and the men wear long sleeve shirts. Shorts are forbidden. So where do you place modest dress. How much skin should we cover.
If the women in your group choose to wear dresses, that's fine; it's their choice. However, dresses have nothing to do with modesty, necessarily. Shorts, likewise are not immodest. Scripture doesn't require women to wear dresses, nor does it forbid either gender from wearing shorts. What you have is man's rules.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
I searched 'modest home,' and the engine retrieved this image of one with its knocker covered up.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Get a life!

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
So where do you place modest dress. How much skin should we cover.

Modesty is mostly cultural rather than universal, viz: one size doesn't fit all;
so to speak.

In the beginning, Adam and his wife associated with themselves and with
God in the nude: I mean totally nude, i.e. front and back.

Even after the forbidden fruit incident, all they did was cover up their pelvic
areas: apparently Eve remained topless.

God made them some clothing after the incident; but I don't think He was
establishing a dress code by it, rather: so they wouldn't go running off to
hide when He came to visit.

Even the most seasoned exotic dancer, normally comfortable disrobed in a
room of leering men, would probably want to put something on should God
come thru the door and take a seat around the dance floor. (cf. John 21:7)

Everyone departs this life with nothing on, and with nothing to wear.
Apparently the folks in Hell will stand with nothing on at the great white
throne event depicted at Rev 20:11-15.

"I advise you to buy from me white garments, that you may clothe yourself,
and that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed." (Rev 3:17-18)

Anyway; seeing as how the Bible contains no specific instructions, then I
think everyone has to make up their own minds about modesty rather than
debate the issue. (Rom 14:1-23)
_

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
if only people's minds would go along with such modesty

just regular clothes should be fine ie. would you wear short shorts to the office? or muscle shirts? probably not

follow suit (pardon the half pun)
surely you are skirting the issue [full on pun]

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
There were times when a woman showing their ankles was considered loose.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Even after the forbidden fruit incident, all they did was
cover up their pelvicareas: apparently Eve remained topless.
Chapter and verse? :unsure:

God made them some clothing after the incident; but I don't think
He was establishing a dress code by it, rather: so they wouldn't go
running off to hide when He came to visit.
It was a foreshadowing of the forgiveness of sins through the shed righteous blood of Christ.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
According to most here Paul’s words should hold weight

“I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting. In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; but (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭2:8-10‬ ‭KJV‬‬

It’s important to note he isn’t saying “ if a woman doesn’t dress this certain way , she’s lost and damned” but it’s gentle meant to be heard and believed and allowed to influence and change what we previously thought

It’s good to follow those inner thoughts after we hear the word

Id say it’s a good thing to be aware as a woman that what you are wearing or not wearing can really be a temptation to others who may be struggling with lust. Daughters of God won’t find a lot of agreement with the daughters of this world one group will follow the times and change with the world but children of God will stick with the lord

Nov 22, 2022
So where does it end, no makeup, no hair jell, short hair, would never ever find me in a church like that, if a short skirt an jeans are your biggest problem, thats sad, we are only to love, god is the judge and jury, keep it simple. if short skirt and jeans are a sin, what is your sin that makes u above them, your judgeing them, how do u know they can,t affort a dress or suit.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Why do I get the distinct impression we're getting punked here?
Two new members, both joined on Tueseday. One at 3:42; the other at 5:07.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
What about bathrobes. Apparently that what we'll all be wearing in heaven.

Clean white linen...?

Mar 25, 2020
It doesn't matter about dresses anymore for me personally. Just because a person is all well dressed, doesn't mean they're who you think they are. Never Judge a book by it's cover.

Sure, it depends which place you are in and who you would be trying to impress. The occasion you dress for.

A woman can be dressed casually and it may not be all modest to look at. But she might be a good person and the dress she wears may not be intended for what you assume the dress to be.

Jesus says in the Bible, "Anyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her."

I think all this could apply for a man too. For Trans people too. You can't just strike them off the world like they don't exist. They have a place in the Bible also. The Bible mentions Eunuchs.

It's not a sin to dress well. Neither is it a sin not to dress so well either. Life is hard. If you can do either and be happy for it, then you should do that.

A sexually provocative dress that reveals a lot is something a Christian could avoid as that clearly gives the idea what the dress is for. But me being a Christian, I'm not going to judge.

I come from a generation where in the 80s, if you look at a woman who wears Jeans and Shirt in my country, they would look at her like an alien from Mars. But all that has changed and nothing surprises me anymore. Right from Bikini clad ladies at the beach to whatever fancy dress people choose to wear. It's their personal choice. None of my business to mind. All that matters is how I look at another human being and give them the respect due for them as a human being. No matter how they are clad.

I say all this because in my country, especially the North side of the country, you can get raped for wearing a revealing dress by some culprits. Like that, modesty would depend upon each culture and customs and norms. Where you go to. For what occasion you dress for. Whether it's a Job interview, birthday party, Sunday service. It's good to dress accordingly. It's my opinion. Not going to change my mind on this. But not forcing this idea on anyone either.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
It doesn't matter about dresses anymore for me personally. Just because a person is all well dressed, doesn't mean they're who you think they are. Never Judge a book by it's cover.

Sure, it depends which place you are in and who you would be trying to impress. The occasion you dress for.

A woman can be dressed casually and it may not be all modest to look at. But she might be a good person and the dress she wears may not be intended for what you assume the dress to be.

Jesus says in the Bible, "Anyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her."

I think all this could apply for a man too. For Trans people too. You can't just strike them off the world like they don't exist. They have a place in the Bible also. The Bible mentions Eunuchs.

It's not a sin to dress well. Neither is it a sin not to dress so well either. Life is hard. If you can do either and be happy for it, then you should do that.

A sexually provocative dress that reveals a lot is something a Christian could avoid as that clearly gives the idea what the dress is for. But me being a Christian, I'm not going to judge.

I come from a generation where in the 80s, if you look at a woman who wears Jeans and Shirt in my country, they would look at her like an alien from Mars. But all that has changed and nothing surprises me anymore. Right from Bikini clad ladies at the beach to whatever fancy dress people choose to wear. It's their personal choice. None of my business to mind. All that matters is how I look at another human being and give them the respect due for them as a human being. No matter how they are clad.

I say all this because in my country, especially the North side of the country, you can get raped for wearing a revealing dress by some culprits. Like that, modesty would depend upon each culture and customs and norms. Where you go to. For what occasion you dress for. Whether it's a Job interview, birthday party, Sunday service. It's good to dress accordingly. It's my opinion. Not going to change my mind on this. But not forcing this idea on anyone either.
Eunuchs in the Bible we’re not trans people.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia

You made some good points about appropriately dressing for the occasion.
You also brought up a point that I just happened to come across in this book review yesterday morning. This is the first time I've read your comment, so perhaps this was meant for both of us.
This link,
The Difference Between Eunuchs, Homosexualsand Transexuals ,

was a brief review of a book that contributes to confusion about eunuchs as the Bible describes. When you read the KJV bible, Daniel and his three friends were made eunuchs when they were kidnapped and taken to Babylon. These boys weren't Transexual, they were castrated against their will. Some ministers these days are teaching that the term eunuch means that a man is physically attracted to other men. That is a false teaching that is leading believers to accept that sin into the churches, so the proper definitions and Bible translation is important to me. I'm not saying that you think that's ok. I'm just describing how many in the USA have been persuaded.
Let me know what you think about the short review. I'd like to know your opinion.