Modify "New Forum Posts" area

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Usually when I hit the forum I glance at the section to the right where it shows the latest five posts in the forum, and usually that section is filled with Bible Discussion Forum posts... and usually they are posts railing at other christians who don't believe exactly the same.

It occurs to me that would give a newcomer a very bad impression of the forum. Is it possible to edit the "New Forum Posts" area such that BDF posts don't show up there? Our more argumentative members certainly don't NEED BDF posts there in order to get back to their arguments, and newcomers would see posts from other parts of the forum instead of a list of flame posts.

CAVEAT: The preceding is just one man's opinion. And I'm not sure forum code even allows selective "New Forum Posts" results.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
How are you seeing posts? All I ever see is the forums home page.. :confused:

D

Depleted

Usually when I hit the forum I glance at the section to the right where it shows the latest five posts in the forum, and usually that section is filled with Bible Discussion Forum posts... and usually they are posts railing at other christians who don't believe exactly the same.

It occurs to me that would give a newcomer a very bad impression of the forum. Is it possible to edit the "New Forum Posts" area such that BDF posts don't show up there? Our more argumentative members certainly don't NEED BDF posts there in order to get back to their arguments, and newcomers would see posts from other parts of the forum instead of a list of flame posts.

CAVEAT: The preceding is just one man's opinion. And I'm not sure forum code even allows selective "New Forum Posts" results.
Since it's not going to take long for newbies to find BDF anyway, how about this as an alternative -- showing latest post in the most commonly used forums? That would include BDF, but then it's just one railing, and there is a fairly decent chance the other forums aren't railing, (unless, of course, I was the last to post in other forums. lol)

Prov910

Jan 10, 2017
I wonder if your settings are set up for the "Mobile Site" skin?

If, on your CC homepage, you don't see sections for "New Forum Posts", "New Forum Threads" and "Latest Blog Entries" off to the right, then I think you are set up for Mobile Site in your settings.

If you want to play around with it to see the other looks like, you could change the Forum Skin setting to "ChristianChat.com Full Site" skin. The Forum Skin setting is under General Settings (which itself is under Settings).

Just a thought :)

U

Ugly

I know I thought of something similar. And a while back ago someone posted with the same idea I had, to be able to select the areas you want to see new posts in.

The reason I find it unlikely any such thing will be implemented, if it's possible, is that it would cut back on traffic and activity on the forums.

Feb 7, 2015
I always automatically open the forum through a "shortcut" directly to the "NEW POSTS" screen..... and I see no other screen unless I go looking for one.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I'm not on a mobile. I use a computer... and the only thing I ever see is the list of all the forums..

I wonder if your settings are set up for the "Mobile Site" skin?

If, on your CC homepage, you don't see sections for "New Forum Posts", "New Forum Threads" and "Latest Blog Entries" off to the right, then I think you are set up for Mobile Site in your settings.

If you want to play around with it to see the other looks like, you could change the Forum Skin setting to "ChristianChat.com Full Site" skin. The Forum Skin setting is under General Settings (which itself is under Settings).

Just a thought :)

Prov910

Jan 10, 2017
I'm not on a mobile. I use a computer... and the only thing I ever see is the list of all the forums..
You don't have to be on a mobile phone to have your setting set for the "Mobile Site" skin. On a computer the Mobile Skin setting provides a less cluttered front page--all the stuff to the right is missing. :)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Don't you see a list New Forum P0sts to the right of the forum's list? And Newest Forum Threads? And Latest Blog Entries? Five each in the first two listings, and two only for blogs?

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Nope..nope..nope and nope.. I only see the forums page where all the forums are listed..

Don't you see a list New Forum P0sts to the right of the forum's list? And Newest Forum Threads? And Latest Blog Entries? Five each in the first two listings, and two only for blogs?

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
This is all I see..

. forums page.jpg

You don't have to be on a mobile phone to have your setting set for the "Mobile Site" skin. On a computer the Mobile Skin setting provides a less cluttered front page--all the stuff to the right is missing. :)

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
A lot of us never see (and as a result forget that it exists) that side bar. I just don't remember how I got the page to display that way.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Here is a fig leaf :eek:

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
A lot of us never see (and as a result forget that it exists) that side bar. I just don't remember how I got the page to display that way.
Now I remember........

Capture01.JPG

You click the arrow

U

Ugly

Now I remember........

View attachment 176696

You click the arrow
I think the issue is that people may not want to see the BDF specifically. I use the New Posts section every time I log on, but tire of the BDF posts being there.
And as the OP stated it may be a poor reflection to New Users. So a way to opt in or out of certain sections of the forums new posts would be great, since the virtual battle royale that is BDF is left largely unchecked.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
That is what I see when I check the forum from my phone. When I check the forum from a real computer I see a lot more stuff.

I found the setting to change, if you want to check the full website front page. At the top of any forum page, find and click "Forum Actions" and click on "General Settings." In Settings scroll almost all the way down the page to Miscellaneous Options and you will find the Forum Skins setting. Yours is set to Christianchat.com Mobile Site.

The benefit of changing it to Full Site is you can see the last five posts on the whole forum, the last five new threads started on the whole forum and the last two blogs started on the whole forum, all on the front page at a glance. The downside is the "last five posts" section is usually full of BDF posts. But I still glance at it just to see if anything interesting is up.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I don't WANT to see ANY posts when I come on here..lol

That is what I see when I check the forum from my phone. When I check the forum from a real computer I see a lot more stuff.

I found the setting to change, if you want to check the full website front page. At the top of any forum page, find and click "Forum Actions" and click on "General Settings." In Settings scroll almost all the way down the page to Miscellaneous Options and you will find the Forum Skins setting. Yours is set to Christianchat.com Mobile Site.

The benefit of changing it to Full Site is you can see the last five posts on the whole forum, the last five new threads started on the whole forum and the last two blogs started on the whole forum, all on the front page at a glance. The downside is the "last five posts" section is usually full of BDF posts. But I still glance at it just to see if anything interesting is up.