Mom wants me off meds

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I’m terrified of this. I know the idea of psychiatric medication is kinda hot button but hear me out.

She doesn’t want me off all my medication, she knows that I cannot function without it. But I can tell when I haven’t taken the one she’s talking about trying to phase out. It causes weight gain which is dangerous for my health, but it’s the one that keeps me from circling around thought wise. It’s the one that keeps me from imagining horrible things happening to myself and others. I’m OCD and it keeps me from grasping onto scary thoughts and not letting go.

I may have to try and do research. What scares me is I trust my current doctor but she doesn’t, and she made the comment that if she doesn’t help me off the meds then she’ll find someone that will.

I am truly in terror of going back to what I was: petrified, unable to cope, and unable to function.

HeavenHearMe

Dec 11, 2016
I’m terrified of this. I know the idea of psychiatric medication is kinda hot button but hear me out.

She doesn’t want me off all my medication, she knows that I cannot function without it. But I can tell when I haven’t taken the one she’s talking about trying to phase out. It causes weight gain which is dangerous for my health, but it’s the one that keeps me from circling around thought wise. It’s the one that keeps me from imagining horrible things happening to myself and others. I’m OCD and it keeps me from grasping onto scary thoughts and not letting go.

I may have to try and do research. What scares me is I trust my current doctor but she doesn’t, and she made the comment that if she doesn’t help me off the meds then she’ll find someone that will.

I am truly in terror of going back to what I was: petrified, unable to cope, and unable to function.
Lord god heal her. In the name of Jesus, Amen.

M

Miri

Steph, your mum will have your best interests at heart and I know you are
worried about this.

Maybe you can do it half and half. Sort of reduce the meds and
combine it with counselling. Maybe CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy)
would help? It helps you to step back from situations and see them and
analyse them in an informative way.

An example might be to write down your worst thought at any moment
in time and rate it on a scale of 1-10. Then look at the reality of it, and
analyse the likely hood of it coming true on a scale of 1-10.

So for example if I don’t wash my hands I will get run over by a bus.
Are you outside? No
Are you near any buses? No etc

It’s designed to calm you down and look at things objectively and understand
the different thought patterns and processes.

It’s more complicated than the above example but over time it gets you
thinking in a different way.

I understand you’ve been through a lot and your grown up enough now to
decide for yourself how to handle this and when it’s the right time to look at
your meds.

But when the time is right, do it with the right support and help.

Will be praying for you.
xxx

T

theanointedsinner

Lord, you know that healing takes time and sometimes you allow meds to be necessary. Help the person's mother be more understanding that medicine is not sin, that medicine is God's blessing, as Jesus have used mud to help give sight to the blind

Jun 18, 2013
Lord we pray for ArtsieSteph, give her healing of mind and body. In thy precious name. Amen

Blanche

Mar 19, 2018
why are psychiatric meds a hot button issue? Mental illness is is in the brain and the brain is a part of the body. If the meds help you to function and live well, and you cannot without them, then you should take them. I know your mother means well, but dont the doctors know more about these things? How about a second opinion and some reading material for mom. Good luck.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Do what you and your doctor feels is right, Steph.. :)

levi85

Jul 2, 2013
Lord bless Artsiesteph in this matter heal her body and remove worriness, yes Lord in Jesus loving name, Amen!

EmilyFoster

Jul 10, 2018
I’m sorry to hear about your situation, friend. I’m praying, asking God to intervene, provide comfort and guidance as you trust in Him.