Money is Satan

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
The Bible says that if anyone will not work, neither should he eat.

It is therefore not a sin to work in order to put food on the table.

Personally, I am provided for by the Lord and do not work for money;

However, for those who do, I do not believe that there is any condemnation for them.

Jan 23, 2022
The Bible says that if anyone will not work, neither should he eat.

It is therefore not a sin to work in order to put food on the table.

Personally, I am provided for by the Lord and do not work for money;

However, for those who do, I do not believe that there is any condemnation for them.
In what way does the lord provide for you to the point where you don’t need to work? Curious

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
When you get it, when you see it, you know it like no other thing. Money, in all its forms, is Satan. Economics, all of it, is the religion of Satan; it is the theology of Satan.

Money must be brought down. Money must be defeated. The book of Revelation, at its core, is about the fight of Christ against the forces of money.

If you don't believe me, let your mind wander. Go all the way back into the far reaches of human history and consider how much misery money has brought the human race.

I don't know what to do about it. I have no solution to offer you. All I can do is type the final lines of Revelation:

He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
Hmm well many are in for a surprise when they are shown all the "money" riches the enemy has stollen from you and your lineage.

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
Don’t ask me, ask our Lord Jesus Christ:
The KJV doesn't do Matt 6 justice. "take no thought" doesn't mean what it sounds like. Jesus is telling people not to worry or fear; it's about trusting God. As long as you don't trust your money (or anything else) more than God, then it's fine. But if you trust money more than God, you'll end up compromising your morality and everything else for money- that's when "mammon" becomes your god.
The way to not covet is for no one to own anything. You can’t covet what isn’t possessed by someone. Look at the short-lived example in Acts 4.
You actually can covet shared property. You can covet things that don't even exist. The only reason the church at Jerusalem survived was because they didn't. The fact that it was short lived; what does that tell us? They were buckling down to get as many Jews saved as they could before the destruction of Jerusalem came; they were temporarily pooling resources, not establishing a cashless society.

Mar 4, 2020
The KJV doesn't do Matt 6 justice. "take no thought" doesn't mean what it sounds like. Jesus is telling people not to worry or fear; it's about trusting God. As long as you don't trust your money (or anything else) more than God, then it's fine. But if you trust money more than God, you'll end up compromising your morality and everything else for money- that's when "mammon" becomes your god.

You actually can covet shared property. You can covet things that don't even exist. The only reason the church at Jerusalem survived was because they didn't. The fact that it was short lived; what does that tell us? They were buckling down to get as many Jews saved as they could before the destruction of Jerusalem came; they were temporarily pooling resources, not establishing a cashless society.

Okay fair enough, but, just for the record, the Bible doesn't talk as graciously about money and wealth as you seem to. Jesus condemned material wealth often, though, preferring full reliance on God instead. I think we need to draw from that as much wisdom as possible.

Matthew 6:19-21
19Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: 21For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Matthew 6:24
24No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Mark 4:19
19And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.

Mark 10:25
25It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Luke 6:20
20And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.

Luke 12:15
15And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

Acts 20:35
35I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

And those are just Jesus quotes. The Old and New Testament is packed with warnings about material wealth.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Money is like a weapon, human can use for self defend or to kill other or yourself.
Jesus say it is easier for camel into the eye of the nifle than rich go to heaven
So I believe to much money have negative effect than positive

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
Now it’s my turn: money is good coveting or bad coveting?

It can be either. Looking forward to your paycheck isn't bad money coveting. Wanting to steal that paycheck is bad money coveting.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
Okay fair enough, but, just for the record, the Bible doesn't talk as graciously about money and wealth as you seem to.

It does here:

Christ had one of the disciples carry his money that they shared for the groups well being. Christ was not against having or spending money. He even taught that one should use money to create more money and the one who buried it and earned no profit was a bad person and the language is very similar to the fate of those who go to hell.

Mat 25:14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
Mat 25:15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
Mat 25:16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
Mat 25:17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
Mat 25:18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
Mat 25:19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
Mat 25:20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
Mat 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
Mat 25:22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
Mat 25:23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
Mat 25:24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
Mat 25:25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
Mat 25:26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
Mat 25:27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
Mat 25:28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
Mat 25:29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
Mat 25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Mar 4, 2020
It does here:

Christ had one of the disciples carry his money that they shared for the groups well being. Christ was not against having or spending money. He even taught that one should use money to create more money and the one who buried it and earned no profit was a bad person and the language is very similar to the fate of those who go to hell.

Mat 25:14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
Mat 25:15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
Mat 25:16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
Mat 25:17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
Mat 25:18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
Mat 25:19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
Mat 25:20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
Mat 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
Mat 25:22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
Mat 25:23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
Mat 25:24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
Mat 25:25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
Mat 25:26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
Mat 25:27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
Mat 25:28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
Mat 25:29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
Mat 25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Matthew 6:19-21
19Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: 21For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Matthew 6:24
24No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Mark 4:19
19And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.

Mark 10:25
25It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Luke 6:20
20And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.

Luke 12:15
15And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

Acts 20:35
35I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

Mar 4, 2020
It can be either. Looking forward to your paycheck isn't bad money coveting. Wanting to steal that paycheck is bad money coveting.
Paul seems to disagree with you, using words like snare, foolish and hurtful lusts, drowning men in destruction and perdition, the root of all evil, erred from the faith, and pierced with many sorrows in 1 Timothy 6:9-10.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
Paul seems to disagree with you, using words like snare, foolish and hurtful lusts, drowning men in destruction and perdition, the root of all evil, erred from the faith, and pierced with many sorrows in 1 Timothy 6:9-10.

Why are you avoiding Mathew 25 and the obvious pro-money pro-profit teaching by Christ? Clearly it is ok to sometimes covet money and monetary profit.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
When you get it, when you see it, you know it like no other thing. Money, in all its forms, is Satan. Economics, all of it, is the religion of Satan; it is the theology of Satan.

Money must be brought down. Money must be defeated. The book of Revelation, at its core, is about the fight of Christ against the forces of money.

If you don't believe me, let your mind wander. Go all the way back into the far reaches of human history and consider how much misery money has brought the human race.

I don't know what to do about it. I have no solution to offer you. All I can do is type the final lines of Revelation:

He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
I don't agree. It's what is done with money and the pursuit of money that is the problem. Lord Jesus paid the temple tax. He also told people to pay Rome's taxes. No hint of money being inherently evil there. Money has brought a great deal of good as well as evil. Money was collected to help the starving church in Jerusalem.

Money is also a test. Will Christians be generous with what God gives or hoard it contrary to God's will? We all need to be led by the Lord. God sees our attitude, not our bank balance.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Clearly it is ok to sometimes covet money and monetary profit.
You have put two separate issues together.

1. The Bible says that covetousness is idolatry. So you can cancel that.

2. The Bible also says that a fair profit is righteous, so you can talk about that. The Bible does not condemn profit in business, since that is the reason for businesses to exist. But a fair profit is not the same as an unjust profit, or pure greed.

3. So what did Jesus mean when He told Christians: Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations. (Luke 16:9)?

"Mammon" means "money" personified. Since money is more frequently used for unrighteous purposes, He called it "the mammon of unrighteousness". But since Jesus told us to "make friends" with money and that it would have eternal consequences, what He was really telling us was to put money to righteous uses.

When Judas Iscariot was told by Christ to go and do quickly what he planned to do , the other apostles wrongly assumed he would be doing something for the poor and destitute. But he was the treasurer and Christ and His disciples did need money to function. But they may also have been giving to the poor.

Investing in the Kingdom of God, in the Gospel and the support of pastors, elders, and missionaries, in necessities for other Christians who are destitute, in giving widows and orphans the financial help and support that they need, in giving free medicines to those who simply cannot afford them in foreign lands, etc. would mean that unrighteous mammon was being harnessed for righteousness.

Mar 4, 2020
@Gideon300 might as well open your Bible, turn to 1 Timothy 6:9-10, and draw a big X over that passage.

Mar 4, 2020
Why are you avoiding Mathew 25 and the obvious pro-money pro-profit teaching by Christ? Clearly it is ok to sometimes covet money and monetary profit.
You want to use the parable of the talents to support pro-money teachings by Christ? Go for it. I'm not going there.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
I'm not going there.

It's clearly pro-money profit even down to loans and interest.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
In what way does the lord provide for you to the point where you don’t need to work? Curious
I receive social security / disability because of my mental illness.

Because my mental illness debilitates me to the point that I cannot hold down a job.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
@Gideon300 might as well open your Bible, turn to 1 Timothy 6:9-10, and draw a big X over that passage.
A ridiculous statement. Try reading the rest of God's word to get the whole picture. Ananias' sin was not to sell his house and keep the money. He lied about how much he was giving to the apostles. Peter made it clear that the proceeds from the sale belonged to Ananias.

So what is your idea? Give everything that you have away and become dependent on charity yourself? That's not Biblical. Paul said that if people don't work, they should not eat either. He worked with his own hands to provide for his own needs.

How do you imagine that he was able to pay for his travel costs? Do you think that tickets just floated down from heaven? No, at least for a time he paid his own way. Obviously there were times when that was not possible. When he was not able, maybe in prison, the church blessed him financially.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

This isn't the standard meaning of loving something. It has a far more extreme meaning:

G5365
φιλαργυρία
philarguria
fil-ar-goo-ree'-ah
From G5366; avarice: - love of money.
Total KJV occurrences: 1

Definition of avarice

: excessive or insatiable desire for wealth or gain : greediness, cupidity

av·a·rice
/ˈavərəs/

noun
  • 1. extreme greed for wealth or material gain: "he was rich beyond the dreams of avarice"

It's not a sin to love money. When I got a paycheck, I loved it and that's perfectly fine. Avarice is clearly going far beyond the simple and normal love of money into more of a form of insanity, excessively and insatiably lusting after money.

Mar 4, 2020
A ridiculous statement. Try reading the rest of God's word to get the whole picture. Ananias' sin was not to sell his house and keep the money. He lied about how much he was giving to the apostles. Peter made it clear that the proceeds from the sale belonged to Ananias.

So what is your idea? Give everything that you have away and become dependent on charity yourself? That's not Biblical. Paul said that if people don't work, they should not eat either. He worked with his own hands to provide for his own needs.
Try reading the rest of God's word to get the whole picture.

In Acts 4:32-36 work was not encouraged. People just sold their possessions and gave the money to the apostles. If anyone needed anything, they just asked and received what they needed.

How do you imagine that he was able to pay for his travel costs? Do you think that tickets just floated down from heaven? No, at least for a time he paid his own way. Obviously there were times when that was not possible. When he was not able, maybe in prison, the church blessed him financially.
Try reading the rest of God's word to get the whole picture.

Sometimes Paul didn't work for money; he received donations sometimes:

Philippians 4:15–120 KJV
15Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only. 16For even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my necessity. 17Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account. 18But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God. 19But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. 20Now unto God and our Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Paul didn't preach because he wanted money. He always did it for free:

1 Cor. 9:18 KJV
18What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.