Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
N

NoNameMcgee

Seeking opinions on this question.

I personally say no. As all of our sins have already been forgiven, there's no reason to ask afresh. Since God looks upon His children as never having sinned (as we have the righteousness of Jesus imputed to us) our fellowship with Him can not suffer.
well i agree to be saved is forever

if i being a born again adopted son .... sin

MUST i ask for forgiveness to be saved uhhh again?

no

lol

that is salvation dependant on self
and works

but i still do
or at least try to when i mess up
or even when im tempted to do something sinful

i hate the feeling that comes from feeding my flesh

and knowing my spirit hates these things
i confess to God what i have done wrong
(even though He knows already and i have already been made new)

and i ask for strength
for Him to break these things from me

to help me acknowledge these sins before they happen

to deliver me from temptation

and to use me for good

Last edited by a moderator:

LW97

Apr 10, 2018
well i agree to be saved is forever

if i being a born again adopted son .... sin

MUST i ask for forgiveness to be saved uhhh again?

no

lol

that is salvation dependant on self
and works

but i still do
or at least try to when i mess up
or even when im tempted to do something sinful

i hate the feeling that comes from feeding my flesh

and knowing my spirit hates these things
i confess to God what i have done wrong
(even though He knows already and i have already been made new)

and i ask for strength
for Him to break these things from me

to help me acknowledge these sins before they happen

to deliver me from temptation

and to use me for good
Amen :) If we habitually sin, God will correct us.

E

eternally-gratefull

I think God wants us to confess our sins (1 john 1: 9) which is to admit our sin to God and acknowledge that we have done something against him. and it is for our benefit, Sins kept in secret without confessing them is like leaven, it destroys a person.

But to ask forgiveness? That is the same as declaring you do not understand the grace of God. If you have to ask forgiveness. then what is your faith in to begin with?

N

NoNameMcgee

I think God wants us to confess our sins (1 john 1: 9) which is to admit our sin to God and acknowledge that we have done something against him. and it is for our benefit, Sins kept in secret without confessing them is like leaven, it destroys a person.

But to ask forgiveness? That is the same as declaring you do not understand the grace of God. If you have to ask forgiveness. then what is your faith in to begin with?
ya maybe asking for deliverance is a better way to put what i think we ought to do

and THANK Him for His longsuffering and forgiveness

LW97

Apr 10, 2018

AMEN! Sadly most preachers mix sonship and fellowship

E

eternally-gratefull

ya maybe asking for deliverance is a better way to put what i think we ought to do

and THANK Him for His longsuffering and forgiveness
yes ask for deliverance, But give yourself grace in case you mess up again, Otherwise you will just give up. as many I know have done, and walk away, why bother if you cant do it they say.

Feb 21, 2012
I try to! IOW, when I realize that I acted in a way that is contrary to the way God would have me act - I immediately ask forgiveness . . . sometimes an action committed takes a while to realize - Oops, that wasn't good - then I ask forgiveness for that action.

LW97

Apr 10, 2018
[video=youtube;D-y3vVw3MiU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-y3vVw3MiU
[/video]

Of course that doesn't mean we can sin without being ashamed

7seasrekeyed

people are confusing salvation with growing in our relationship with God

you don't loose your salvation when you sin or nobody would be saved...and that has been discussed to the nth degree

however, John makes it plain that if we say we have no sin we are liars

you see it again and again on this forum, that people mix up the concept of being honest before God and with yourself

even David in the OT, asked that God would examine him by His Spirit

some people seem to want to throw out the concept of asking forgiveness from those we have sinned against

the motto seems to be 'it's all good'

I am sure most people here admit they still sin and sometimes even on purpose. I am also sure that most understand the concept of desiring to grow in their walk with God

yet, we still have this denial of asking for forgiveness. in this case, the question itself is misleading so people just say 'oh no. we are fine and we are still saved.'

I mean seriously, do we become unmarried, if we are married, if we create an atmosphere that does not support the fact we are in a serious relationship?

pretty much the same with God.

again, the question is misleading and does not address serious and deeper issues

LW97

Apr 10, 2018
people are confusing salvation with growing in our relationship with God

you don't loose your salvation when you sin or nobody would be saved...and that has been discussed to the nth degree

however, John makes it plain that if we say we have no sin we are liars

you see it again and again on this forum, that people mix up the concept of being honest before God and with yourself

even David in the OT, asked that God would examine him by His Spirit

some people seem to want to throw out the concept of asking forgiveness from those we have sinned against

the motto seems to be 'it's all good'

I am sure most people here admit they still sin and sometimes even on purpose. I am also sure that most understand the concept of desiring to grow in their walk with God

yet, we still have this denial of asking for forgiveness. in this case, the question itself is misleading so people just say 'oh no. we are fine and we are still saved.'

I mean seriously, do we become unmarried, if we are married, if we create an atmosphere that does not support the fact we are in a serious relationship?

pretty much the same with God.

again, the question is misleading and does not address serious and deeper issues
AMEN SIS! That's the biblical truth

E

eternally-gratefull

I look at it this way.

If my son came and kept asking me for forgiveness even after he is up in years. I would start to be discouraged and wonder why he does not know I am a loving father who forgave him before he even did the sin.

Now if my son comes and confesses their sin, And says I am sorry God I did it again. I have a way to relate to him, and continue to prove my faithfulness to him. I also know he knows me.

Not asking forgiveness is not a cop out. I do not get why people think it is.

7seasrekeyed

AMEN SIS! That's the biblical truth
really?

yet if you agree with what I wrote, then you are contradicting what you agreed with earlier

what do you really believe and why are you going around digging up old threads and posting you agree without even knowing what the thread is about?

what is really going on with you?

you say you were just saved in Dec of last year so there is no way you could agree or disagree with most things because Bible study is a serious thing

something is off.

LW97

Apr 10, 2018
I look at it this way.

If my son came and kept asking me for forgiveness even after he is up in years. I would start to be discouraged and wonder why he does not know I am a loving father who forgave him before he even did the sin.

Now if my son comes and confesses their sin, And says I am sorry God I did it again. I have a way to relate to him, and continue to prove my faithfulness to him. I also know he knows me.

Not asking forgiveness is not a cop out. I do not get why people think it is.
You made a very good example!

LW97

Apr 10, 2018
really?

yet if you agree with what I wrote, then you are contradicting what you agreed with earlier

what do you really believe and why are you going around digging up old threads and posting you agree without even knowing what the thread is about?

what is really going on with you?

you say you were just saved in Dec of last year so there is no way you could agree or disagree with most things because Bible study is a serious thing

something is off.
Sorry, I was just looking for related posts.

And what did you say?

Correct this one:
"people are confusing salvation with growing in our relationship with God

you don't loose your salvation when you sin or nobody would be saved"

In this one however you are right:
"
you say you were just saved in Dec of last year so there is no way you could agree or disagree with most things because Bible study is a serious thing"

7seasrekeyed

[video=youtube;D-y3vVw3MiU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-y3vVw3MiU
[/video]

Of course that doesn't mean we can sin without being ashamed
well that is strange

if you would understand the concept here, you would understand we no longer need to be ashamed BECAUSE we are forgiven

what do you understand salvation to be? I would really like to know, because your posts are not adding up

7seasrekeyed

Sorry, I was just looking for related posts.

And what did you say?

Correct this one:
"people are confusing salvation with growing in our relationship with God

you don't loose your salvation when you sin or nobody would be saved"

In this one however you are right:
"
you say you were just saved in Dec of last year so there is no way you could agree or disagree with most things because Bible study is a serious thing"

what do you understand salvation is?

I would really like to have an explanation from you

LW97

Apr 10, 2018
what do you understand salvation is?

I would really like to have an explanation from you
What salvation is for me? Realizing you are sinner and trusting in his work on the cross.

I just said one thing: if we continue in habitual sin and feel no sorrow, we aren't gonna be happy.

7seasrekeyed

What salvation is for me? Realizing you are sinner and trusting in his work on the cross.

I just said one thing: if we continue in habitual sin and feel no sorrow, we aren't gonna be happy.
nope

I did not ask what salvation is to you

I would like to understand what YOU understand salvation actually is

I am asking because your responses are conflicting and you do not seem to offer biblical reasons for agreeing or not agreeing

actually, it will be much worse than that

if you continue habitually in sin, the Bible indicates you may not be saved at all

so again, I am not sure what is really going on with you

you can answer or not

LW97

Apr 10, 2018
if you continue habitually in sin, the Bible indicates you may not be saved at all
The Bible doesn't say that.

And salvation means getting saved from hellfire.

LW97

Apr 10, 2018
I am talking about chastisement.