Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Hey CS1, you're misusing Hebrews 4:16 by putting emphasis on obtaining mercy and grace and disregarding the purpose of such mercy and grace. It specifically says "to help in time of need" and not to obtain forgiveness of sin. It is to resist sin, to walk in victory, and ultimately, when temptation presents itself the Lord will give you the escape.

1 Corinthians 10:13 King James Version (KJV)

13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

If you back up to verse 15 (in Hebrews 4), you'll notice temptation is in mind.

Hebrews 4:15 King James Version (KJV)

15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

Hence, such mercy and grace is not for the sake of forgiveness but to escape temptation, to bear it, and come out on top.
"Hey CS1, you're misusing Hebrews 4:16 by putting emphasis on obtaining mercy and grace and disregarding the purpose of such mercy and grace."

really? Ok the time of need when is that my friend? and what is Mercy for and grace ?

and what does obtained mean ? in the Greek the word is
lambanō which means: to take hold of,to take upon one's self
and you would be right IF you remove " Throne " this is speaking of CHrist that is why the word "
charis" for Grace is in this verse.

the Idea one does not have to ask forgiveness is not correct. how can one misuse grace and Mercy in Hebrews 4:16? the application is very Biblical.

the question is "

The answer is yes they do. your understanding 1cor 10:13 i'm not sure what you are getting at.
But, the context to 1cor 13 starts in veres 6 it is a contrast to those mentioned in verses 1-5

we are being told NOT to do these things as those in the wilderness did as God was not well pleased with many of them verse 5. How do I know it is a constrast ? because the word " our examples stated in verse 6 and "Neither " is used in verses 7-10
Neither or do not do, what they did either aka neither.

so if you are instructed not to do then that means you have the ability to do . And if you do ; then need to have mercy and grace do you not?

Now your thought on verse 15 of Hebrews; is speaking of our High Priest who was Tempted not temptation. you use that out of context.
the word temtped is used to discribe OUR HIGH Priest who is without Sin and able to forgive and show mercy and Grace. in the time of need.

Last edited:

CS1

May 23, 2012
The basis of forgiveness of sin is the blood of Jesus Christ. We are forgiven not because we ask to be forgiven, but because we are believing in Jesus Christ who shed his blood for our sin.

Having said that, I think that we should come to Christ in repentance and sorrow when we sin because we have grieved God's heart.
really ? hmm who was it thast said If we confess our sins, he(Jesus) is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.? I think it was in the Bible 1john 1:9

Chester

May 23, 2016
Part of the confusion in this thread might be that some are making "confession" the same thing as "asking for forgiveness".

Confession is to "say the same thing as" or to agree with God about sin.
Asking for forgiveness is just that: asking God to wipe the sin off our record so that our slate is clean.

The problem with saying sin is not forgiven till we ask for forgiveness is this: What happens if we die in the meantime? If God does not forgive till we ask, then the sin is on our record and we stand condemned: no sin will enter heaven!

I think the Christian should repent, mourn, confess sin to God, but this is very different than "asking for forgiveness". I think the sins of the believer are cleansed by the blood of the Lamb.

Chester

May 23, 2016
really ? hmm who was it thast said If we confess our sins, he(Jesus) is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.? I think it was in the Bible 1john 1:9
So if a Christian is driving down the highway and goes left of center into the path of a semi - in the two seconds before he is killed he lets out a string of swear words (from past habits he had). Now he is dead before he had any chance to ask God for forgiveness.

Will this Christian get to heaven? He did not ask for forgivness! And swearing (using God's name in vain) is a sin!

I think I John 1:9 means that the believer in Christ is living a life of ongoingly agreeing with God (what confession is), and on this basis God forgives sins.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
We are ALL going to die with unconfessed sins. You, me, Joe Schmoe..

CS1

May 23, 2012
So if a Christian is driving down the highway and goes left of center into the path of a semi - in the two seconds before he is killed he lets out a string of swear words (from past habits he had). Now he is dead before he had any chance to ask God for forgiveness.

Will this Christian get to heaven? He did not ask for forgivness! And swearing (using God's name in vain) is a sin!

I think I John 1:9 means that the believer in Christ is living a life of ongoingly agreeing with God (what confession is), and on this basis God forgives sins.
LOL love the hypertheicials . if you are going down the highway and goes left of center into the path of a semi - in the two seconds before he is killed he lets out a string of swear words (from past habits he had). Now he is dead before he had any chance to ask God for forgiveness.

hey were 1. not paying attention and put themselves in that situtation . 2. if they had abad habit of swearing as the word of God says not to do and not to mention out of the heart the mouth speaks , I will leave that to the one that died as the Bible says however, why did he not call on Jesus ? anyway if one thinks it ok to swear or do things that God said do not do and you do not have to ask forgiveness, That is a perversion of Gods mercy and grace. we are to be holy as He is Holy .

and your example is funny because how do you know the person was even a christian? and does not change the word of God

here is a real question do we as men have to ask our wives to forgive us if we offend them and our neighbors? and when the Discples asked Jesus to teach them how to Pray why did Jesus say to Pray to the Father and ask forgiveness ?

read in Matt 6:12-15
and Mark 11:25

I guess Jesus was wrong for telling us; NO! instructing us how to pray.

that is not swearing driver but it is Jesus Speaking . I will leave the mic for you . Drop.

Feb 21, 2012

I don't believe anyone is saying that you lose your salvation if you do not confess and ask forgiveness for your sins.

I will ask again:
If all our future sins are taken care of . . . why would we even have to appear before the judgment seat of Christ to be judged: For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad. [2 Cor. 5:10]
IF
all future sins are automatically forgiven - then what "bad" is there to judge?

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
We are ALL going to die with unconfessed sins. You, me, Joe Schmoe..
b..,

That is a stretch...but for the moment;

If we have a pattern of requesting forgiveness of current sins...and we should get shot/accident/heart attack... before repenting that hour/day...G-d knows our pattern and that we would have repented....case closed.

Otherwise, few, if any would ultimately be saved.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
j....,

One of the reasons to ask for forgiveness at least daily......."forgive us of our tress passes as we forgive those who tress pass against us"...lords prayer...

G-d will forgive...we must ask in prayer.
I say this prayer each morning before I go to work.

A

Ariel82

We don't repent in order to be forgiven.

We repent because we have been forgiven and seek to change our hearts and minds to be truer reflections of God's love and truth.

We repent so that our minds and hearts reject sin more as we learn wisdom from His holy spirit.

A

Ariel82

Well I can answer your question if you can answer mine first....

When the man meets Jesus face to face which of these two options does he do?

1. Fall flat on his face and apologize for all his sins, admitting he is a sinner and unworthy to enter heaven but in faith looking to His Savior for redenption and love.

OR

2. Curses Jesus for being so unloving and allowing him to die in the car crash. Asking why all the bad things happened in his life and demanding to be shown to His mansion and given his crown and white robes

Most likely the person who died will choose the path most closely resembling their life before their death: did they live by faith and love or expectation and false promises?

Aug 2, 2013

Sir, you have a good heart, but may I suggest second guessing the instructions of our Lord and an eye witness of the Lord's ministry is dangerous.

John wrote:

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).

The reverse of this conditional sentence implies, if we don’t confess our sins, He is not faithful and righteous to forgive our sins….

Look at it this way:

Jesus said, If you love Me, you will keep My commandments (John 14:15). Love implies a relationship. If we love Him and fail to obey Him, we offend Him and as would be the norm in any relationship we ask for forgiveness, which He is more than willing to do.

As far as your head on collision goes…grace kicks in. When the disciples asked Jesus how to pray He told them, When you pray say...forgive us our sins (Luke 11:1-4). Here Jesus taught us to ask for forgiveness for our sins, however, notice He didn’t say we are to ask for forgiveness immediately after each sin, but when you pray.

Based on the above, it seems reasonable to conclude we are responsible to bring our sins to the Lord for forgiveness, but our salvation is not dependent on our remembering every cotton picking sin or confessing it on the spot. The Holy Spirit has our back:

In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God (Romans 8:26, 27).

Thank you Jesus!!!

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
We don't repent in order to be forgiven.
Why do Christians continue to contradict Scripture and present their own opinions?

So let's examine Scripture.

And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. (Lk 24:47)

So which comes first according to the Lord Jesus Christ? Does repentance PRECEDE REMISSION (FORGIVENESS) OF SINS or does it follow?

To confirm this let's look at another Scripture (Acts 3:19):

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Which comes first? Repentance or the blotting out (remission) of sins?

A

Ariel82

Learn to read the whole statement and you might actually get what folks are saying...,instead of what you think they are saying.

Once your sins are forgiven, does that mean you never sin again?

When you first accepted Jesus, were you perfect in knowledge and knew all the sins you commited and needed to repent of?

A

Ariel82

Maybe that is your conversion experience and testimony.

However mine is that I repented of one sin: the sin of unbelief when I accepted Jesus as my savior.

Since then He sent the Holy spirit and revealed other things in my life that I didn't view as sins but have since repented of. He has shown me why I should repent because His wisom teaches that sin harms not only others but myself. Sin keeps us from being the people God created us to be doing the good works He create and ordained for us to do.

Faith is only the beginning of the journey.

We add virtue, knowledge, self control, perseverance, brotherly kindness and agape love.

To be truly rooted in Christ, one must learn to walk in the Spirit and not give into the temptation of the flesh.

Aug 2, 2013
Paul Ellis points this out: Should read: Paul Ellis points this out how to circumvent the teaching of Scripture with inference and conjecture:

Verse 3 (John's audience, the "You" - unbelievers) They do not have fellowship with us as we have with God. They are alienated from the life of God. (Ephesians 4:18)

To suggest John is writing to unbelievers is purely conjecture forced on the text. He is writing to correct lingering questions in this church, resulting from those who were trying to deceive them (2:26). The unbelievers/deceivers had already left the church (2:19). John is going back to the basics to dispel any lingering doubts the deceivers planted in the congregant’s minds.
John begins this writing by appealing to his apostolic position as one who witnessed the ministry and teaching of Jesus. In verse three John does not say they do not have fellowship with us. Instead, he is reinforcing that his teaching is consistent with the Father and Jesus Christ, as opposed to the deceivers. Craig S. Keener writes, "The basis for fellowship as Christians (1:3) is precisely what divided John's readers from those who had withdrawn from the community". Bible Background Commentary, page 737.

Verse 5: (The "You" - unbelievers) They need to hear the message that that John has heard.

Again, John does not call his readers unbelievers. That notion is being forced onto the text.

Verse 6 (The "You" - unbelievers) They walk in darkness. And do not live by the truth.
John does not say they walk in darkness. More unfounded inference. Paul reminded Christians of the danger of darkness in their lives, so it wouldn’t be surprising if John did, also.

The night is almost gone, and the day is near. Therefore let us lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light (Romans 13:12).

Verse 7: (The "You" - unbelievers) They need to be purified from all sin.

Here’s where Ellis’ teaching really breaks down. In verse seven the “you” pronouns change to “we”. It is far fetched to suggest John would include himself with unbelievers. Instead, he is contrasting the deceiver’s teaching versus the truth. They say this, but we know ”this” is a lie.

Verse 8: (The "You" - unbelievers) They are deceived.
If we….not you

Verse 9: (The "You" - unbelievers) They need to be purified from all unrighteousness.

There is a tendency to hide from or deny sin in our lives (Jeremiah 2:35). However, David understood how to have a relationship with the Lord,
I acknowledged my sin to You,
And my iniquity I did not hide;
I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord”;
And You forgave the guilt of my sin (Psalms 32:5).

Verse 10: (The "You" - unbelievers) They are calling God a liar. God's word has no place in their lives.
Again, John is using this form of literary device to contrast his teaching and that of the deceivers. All of the above “if” sentences are hypothetical and designed to reinforce true doctrine verses the false teaching of the deceivers.

The original text didn’t have chapter breaks and continues, My little Children…odd title for unbelievers

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
"Hey CS1, you're misusing Hebrews 4:16 by putting emphasis on obtaining mercy and grace and disregarding the purpose of such mercy and grace."

really? Ok the time of need when is that my friend? and what is Mercy for and grace ?

and what does obtained mean ? in the Greek the word is
lambanō which means: to take hold of,to take upon one's self
and you would be right IF you remove " Throne " this is speaking of CHrist that is why the word "
charis" for Grace is in this verse.

the Idea one does not have to ask forgiveness is not correct. how can one misuse grace and Mercy in Hebrews 4:16? the application is very Biblical.

the question is "

The answer is yes they do. your understanding 1cor 10:13 i'm not sure what you are getting at.
But, the context to 1cor 13 starts in veres 6 it is a contrast to those mentioned in verses 1-5

we are being told NOT to do these things as those in the wilderness did as God was not well pleased with many of them verse 5. How do I know it is a constrast ? because the word " our examples stated in verse 6 and "Neither " is used in verses 7-10
Neither or do not do, what they did either aka neither.

so if you are instructed not to do then that means you have the ability to do . And if you do ; then need to have mercy and grace do you not?

Now your thought on verse 15 of Hebrews; is speaking of our High Priest who was Tempted not temptation. you use that out of context.
the word temtped is used to discribe OUR HIGH Priest who is without Sin and able to forgive and show mercy and Grace. in the time of need.
I'm not sure you understood my post CS1. You're trying to say that obtaining mercy and grace is for the forgiveness of sin, but what I am articulating and showing in context (of the verses you're using) is that temptation is centerfold here. Grace and mercy, helps, of overcoming temptation and resisting temptation with an escape God provides.

This verse (Hebrews 4:16) that you're using is not about the forgiveness of sin, but the temptation that leads to sin. It is about not giving into temptation that leads to sin, and this is avoided (giving into the temptation) by approaching the throne of grace in time of need to receive mercy and grace. To receive the escape.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I don't believe anyone is saying that you lose your salvation if you do not confess and ask forgiveness for your sins.

I will ask again:
If all our future sins are taken care of . . . why would we even have to appear before the judgment seat of Christ to be judged: For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad. [2 Cor. 5:10]
IF
all future sins are automatically forgiven - then what "bad" is there to judge?

You should take the time to slowly read the verse you quoted.. Let me highlight the portion you seemed to not recognise..

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad. [2 Cor. 5:10]

Lewiz

Mar 11, 2018
Wrong. 1 John 1 was written to unbelievers, the "you" he referred to in verse 3.

Paul Ellis points this out:

Verse 3 (John's audience, the "You" - unbelievers) They do not have fellowship with us as we have with God. They are alienated from the life of God. (Ephesians 4:18)

Christians: We have fellowship with Christ and all the members of His body (1 Corinthians 1:9, John 1:7)

Verse 5: (The "You" - unbelievers) They need to hear the message that that John has heard.

Christians: We have heard and believe the message. (Romans 10:17)

Verse 6 (The "You" - unbelievers) They walk in darkness. And do not live by the truth.

Christians: We walk in the light (John 8:12) We have met the truth and walk in the truth. (John 1:4, 14:6)

Verse 7: (The "You" - unbelievers) They need to be purified from all sin.

Christians: We have been purified from all sin. (Hebrews 10:10)

Verse 8: (The "You" - unbelievers) They are deceived.

Christians: We are filled with the Spirit of Truth. (John 14:7)

Verse 9: (The "You" - unbelievers) They need to be purified from all unrighteousness.

Christians: We have been made righteous. (1 Corinthians 6:11, Ephesians 1:7)

Verse 10: (The "You" - unbelievers) They are calling God a liar. God's word has no place in their lives.

Christians: We agree with God. (Romans 10:9-13) His word lives in us. (1 Thessalonians 2:13)

Exact opposites.

https://escapetoreality.org/2012/06/14/is-1-john-1-for-believers/
Budman, I didn't know you believe in hypergrace. Do you follow Joseph Prince's teachings on it also?

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
Budman, I didn't know you believe in hypergrace. Do you follow Joseph Prince's teachings on it also?
So now it is hyper grace to affirm God's word that we have the total forgiveness of sins? How legalistic must we be to think it is our sin confession that saves us and grants us forgiveness, instead of Jesus Christ shedding His blood upon the cross of Calvary, that paid the penalty for our sins and reconciled us to God.