Must one believe that Jesus is God in order to be saved?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Diakonos

Jan 19, 2019
Anacortes, WA
it's merely talking about someone obeying the law written in their heart
When you say "it", you are only referring to the first part of the passage I quoted. If you read the whole section I quoted, you will discover how the obedience of the law (through the conscience) is what God takes into account when He judges people who never had Scriptures to inform them.

Take a moment to consider what you really believe about the fate of the unevangelized.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Do NOT put God or His Gift of Salvation in a BOX that says “You MUST believe that Jesus Christ is God.”

Every Believer that puts their faith in Jesus Christ shall be saved.

EVERY denomination shall NOT enter the Kingdom of God because they are man-made.

God cannot die….yet, His Lamb (Jesus Christ) can die for our sins…and God’s High Priest (Jesus Christ) can offer the Blood of God’s Lamb for our atonement and forgiveness of our sins…once and for all….Jesus Christ is God fulfilling all things according to His Will which is to save us.

God cannot die but, God put His saving life power in a new Adam (Jesus Christ) and brought forth a new Eve (Bride of Christ) and new creation (The Kingdom of God) that is coming to Earth! Hallelujah!!!

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
In the true gospel message, there is a very important reason why Jesus Christ is the only mediator between God and man, and that reason is that he's the only one who is both God and man, and therefore the only one who can truly represent both parties.

I'm reminded of the words of Job, who said:

"For he is not a man, as I am, that I should answer him, and we should come together in judgment. Neither is there any daysman betwixt us, that might lay his hand upon us both. " (Job 9:32-33)

Again, Jesus Christ is the only "daysman" or mediator who can rightfully "lay his hand upon us both", with "us both" being God and man, because he is the only one who is both God and man.
amen I agree in Christ is the only place where God and man are reconciled . He is the only mediator between God and man.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
When the Gospel is preached is it not an integral part of the Gospel to show people that God became sinless Man in order to die for their sins? It would be impossible to preach the true Gospel and avoid the supernatural birth of Christ and what it meant.
I agree: the full gospel does include the incarnation of God in human form. However, not all of us were blessed to be taught the full gospel before accepting Christ as saviour.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I've read Paul's epistle to the Romans 100 times or more, and this doesn't say that anyone can be saved apart from knowing Jesus' name.

Instead, it's merely talking about someone obeying the law written in their heart.

The gospel that Paul preached is truly revealed all throughout his epistles, and here it is, in his own words, from this same epistle to the Romans:

Romans chapter 10

[6] But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above)
[7] Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)
[8] But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
[9] That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
[10] For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

How is someone supposed to confess with their mouth the Lord Jesus apart from knowing his name?

It's nonsense.
I agree the name of Jesus is required it’s why we preach the gospel it’s all about Jesus and salvation through him alone

And what Paul said about confessing the lord Jesus Christ , to this and let it challenge your faith

“that if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:9‬ ‭

“And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: he is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭6:46-49‬ ‭KJV‬‬

it’s how we grow in faith

Feb 24, 2022
There seem to be a large number of “Christians” today who do not believe that Jesus is God: ‘About a third of evangelicals say Jesus was a “good teacher” but was not God, according to a LifeWay Research study created for Ligonier Ministries. Also, 65 percent of evangelicals believe “Jesus is the first and greatest being created by God” a statement that goes against the Bible’s teachings.’
https://www.beliefnet.com/columnist...evangelicals-say-jesus-was-not-god-poll-shows
Any REAL Christian believes in Jesus as the incarnate of God, we praise His name in every worship song, we ask for His love and mercy in every prayer, we learn about His heavenly wisdom and saving grace in every sermon. Those who don't believe in Him are not Christians to begin with, and Jesus exposed them - "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord', shall enter the kingdom of heaven."

What a large number of “Christians” today do not believe is the Holy Spirit, the third aspect of the Trinity. God is sitting in His throne in heaven (Acts 7:49) and Jesus is standing at His right hand (Acts 7:56), the one that is with us and in us is the Holy Spirit, that's the presence of God that overcomes the power of sin and points our hearts to Jesus. Being saved by the blood is just a beginning, that's called "justification", after that is the lifetime process of SANCTIFICATION, and that's the job of the Holy Spirit. Unfortunately most christians don't understand that, Holy Spirit is wrongfully identified as a "power" like electricity, some kind of supernatural encounter, or a ghost floating in the air - that's how it's translated in KJV, right? That's the real problem that needs to be fixed with more education and clarification.

T

TheIndianGirl

A lot of the "Christians" who do not believe in Jesus as God use a different book other than the Protestant Bible, so we need to keep that in mind. For instance, the JWs and the Mormons use different books. So I agree that these nonbelievers fall in the same category as other religions such as Muslims, Jews, Hindus, etc. Just because they "almost" believe what we believe doesn't cut it, they might as well believe something very different. Knowing this, I believe all these groups fall under the category of never hearing the Gospel and/or not understanding it, rather than knowing the Gospel and rejecting it. I believe God will judge them accordingly based on knowledge and conscience (there are verses in the Bible to support this that I have posted in other threads). Like, I believe pastors will be judged more harshly than people who didn't know Jesus (or know Him very well).

Luke 12:41-48
New International Version
41 Peter asked, “Lord, are you telling this parable to us, or to everyone?”

42 The Lord answered, “Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom the master puts in charge of his servants to give them their food allowance at the proper time? 43 It will be good for that servant whom the master finds doing so when he returns. 44 Truly I tell you, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 45 But suppose the servant says to himself, ‘My master is taking a long time in coming,’ and he then begins to beat the other servants, both men and women, and to eat and drink and get drunk. 46 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers.

47 “The servant who knows the master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what the master wants will be beaten with many blows. 48 But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Why rely on what is not God, or from God, to tell you who is God.
And what exactly is this supposed to mean? Are you claiming that the Bible is not from God, and that the record of Christ in the Bible is not from God?

Eromonnis

Dec 21, 2017
And what exactly is this supposed to mean? Are you claiming that the Bible is not from God, and that the record of Christ in the Bible is not from God?
I am stating the opposite for those that rely on other than God.

O

Oblio

One day, a stranger stood in front of me, flipped open a bible, read John 3:16 to me, and I saw a sword thrust into my belly. I instantly knew it, John 3:16, was true. I've never been able to stop believing it, even for a time when I wanted to. I wasn't even looking for God. Ever.
So in an instant, I went from thinking that Jesus was the Christmas baby and had something to do with the Easter bunny, to knowing that He was the Son of God. I didn't even know that He was God, which He is.
To say that I was startled would be an understatement. This happened in one of those Pentecostal churches.

O

Oblio

This place should be CBC...Christian Bumper Cars!

Dec 30, 2014
When I witness to folks, share the Gospel, two important questions I first ask:

1.) Is the Bible the Word of God?
2.) Is Jesus God?

Dec 30, 2020
If you are suggesting that Jesus is a "creation of the Father" that is completely false. Jesus is the Creator and God (John 1:1-3).
"Create" is probably the wrong word to use because create means making something out of nothing. Here is a better explanation.
The Father in Spirit has always existed and in the beginning, out of His own essence or Spirit, He formed Christ. Christ has His own mind and heart, but because His being is from the Father's essence or Spirit, they coincide with the Father's wishes and desires. Through Jesus Christ everything else is created.
Jesus Christ is our God, our Savior, our Lord, and our God, but the Father is the God of all ( including Jesus).

Rhomphaeam

Dec 14, 2021
England
www.nblc.church
"Create" is probably the wrong word to use because create means making something out of nothing. Here is a better explanation.
The Father in Spirit has always existed and in the beginning, out of His own essence or Spirit, He formed Christ. Christ has His own mind and heart, but because His being is from the Father's essence or Spirit, they coincide with the Father's wishes and desires. Through Jesus Christ everything else is created.
Jesus Christ is our God, our Savior, our Lord, and our God, but the Father is the God of all ( including Jesus).
Plain straight forward heresy.

Rhomphaeam

Dec 14, 2021
England
www.nblc.church
One day, a stranger stood in front of me, flipped open a bible, read John 3:16 to me, and I saw a sword thrust into my belly. I instantly knew it, John 3:16, was true. I've never been able to stop believing it, even for a time when I wanted to. I wasn't even looking for God. Ever.
So in an instant, I went from thinking that Jesus was the Christmas baby and had something to do with the Easter bunny, to knowing that He was the Son of God. I didn't even know that He was God, which He is.
To say that I was startled would be an understatement. This happened in one of those Pentecostal churches.
I tell you bro, those pentecostals - boy they just don't care what they do with the Easter bunny. They need a thrashing. By His stripes we are healed!

Feb 24, 2022
Jesus is NOT created. The Word was God and was with God in the beginning, but make no mistake, the FLESH wasn't until the Word became flesh and dwell among us.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
no I think he’s saying Jesus is God , that’s why we rely on him alone

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Jesus is NOT created. The Word was God and was with God in the beginning, but make no mistake, the FLESH wasn't until the Word became flesh and dwell among us.
Amen there’s a really beautiful sequence of scripture where God looks down into earth from heaven searches and sees that in all of Mankind there is none worthy , and No man to intercede.

he sees mans judgement has fallen from truth and our ways and sins testify against us all he sees we are lost to ourselves without a way without good and godly judgement we have cast the truth away …

this displeases the Lord so he decides to put on the garments of a righteous man to come and intercede himself for us. His helmet of salvstion and cloak of zeal ending in a promise of the coming of the redeemer

this also is reflected upon in the book of revelation

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
consider this

“Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭43:10-11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭3:16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.”
‭‭John‬ ‭17:3-5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭5:20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

I and my Father are one.”
‭‭John‬ ‭10:30‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Jesus is how we can know the unknown God of heaven on earth , to the intent we can enter the heavens with him when we also leave the earth

Isaskar

Nov 13, 2021
According to the Bible you need to believe Jesus is the SON of God to be saved. No mention of believing in the trinity or anything that was later put into a creed.