My addiction to candy

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 11, 2018
I don't know if this is spiritual or mental but i am very addicted to eating a lot of candy.
I feel like it full fills me. I ask God to please take away any addiction that doesn't belong to me.
Anyone know of anything i can eat apart from candy or.. any videos on it that can help?

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I would highly suggest seeking professional help if you haven’t already. Quite often these things have a much deeper cause.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I don't know if this is spiritual or mental but i am very addicted to eating a lot of candy.
I feel like it full fills me. I ask God to please take away any addiction that doesn't belong to me.
Anyone know of anything i can eat apart from candy or.. any videos on it that can help?
Sugar is highly addictive, which has a physiological and psychological effect, because when we eat sugar, opioids and dopamine are released. Every time you eat sweets you are reinforcing neuropathways that cause your brain to become increasingly hardwired to crave sugar, building up a tolerance like any other drug. Addiction does encompass spiritual aspects also. Aside form calories/carbs, there is no nutritional value to eating sugar and so your sense of being "filled" by this hormone-disrupting, immune-derailing, and cancer-feeding substance is false. Rather than feeling compelled to continue consuming a substance despite its harmful consequences, have you ever conscientiously tried to wean it out of your diet, cut down on the amount consumed, or instead use healthy sugar substitutes like Stevia?

Nov 11, 2018
I'm on meds... i think that may cause part of it..

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I'm on meds... i think that may cause part of it..
If that is the case I would check with your doctor. I know that people have had sleeping/eating/impulse control habits change when on meds.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Well, eventually I get moved past certain addictions. I'm not sure if this is personal failure on my part or what exactly.

In my experience there's always something I can do to combat a personal habit that is destructive. It may be small, but I believe the Lord honors that small thing and carries us the rest of the way (depending on the issue).

One of the biggest defeats can come from just looking at how giant something is and sort of giving up or trying to tackle it head on and just straight up failing. I think he will meet you there as well tackling it head on, it's imperative to recognize that without his help you can't do it. It may not be for this particular thing but it's always a good idea to lean on the Lord. So when you do overcome, praise follows.

Even in things I've done on my own, it's slower, less efficient, and I lose something vital (I'm pretty sure) in the process of doing it my way. Scars aren't fun :(

So...think of some way possibly that you can alter the habit. That's a good first step. Think about "how" this occurs. Do you feel a craving and cave in right away? Or is there something of a buildup?

I think all addiction should be handled delicately but sometimes there is room for experimentation.

Have you tried eating first? I mean just eating potatoes (which I'm pretty sure carbs break down into sugar) could go a long way.

I personally loved Kool-aid with sugar. There's this drink mix with sucralose that is Kool-aid now in a little squeeze bottle that is quite tasty at first but now I'm indifferent to it. Mostly because I want sugar and sucralose has ceased to really taste good unless I want Kool-aid. But I just ignore it.

Mixing up habits sometimes can go quite far.

I put a certain amount of sugar in my coffee and when I have it black and skip sugar I start to crave some type of sugar product at some point throughout the day. I usually ignore it, but the next day I do not skip the sugar, but if it's too sweet I don't drink it either. I think because possibly the body does have a need for sugar and that it will regulate it. The biggest thing is to treat it something like medicine and not overindulge.

Some meds can cause cravings. Zyprexa certainly does. Also pay attention to if the foods you eat are also high in sugar. Diabetes is a thing and if you are prediabetic sugar can exacerbate it. Sometimes additional knowledge on a subject can lead to more accountability with things.

Nov 11, 2018
Well, eventually I get moved past certain addictions. I'm not sure if this is personal failure on my part or what exactly.

In my experience there's always something I can do to combat a personal habit that is destructive. It may be small, but I believe the Lord honors that small thing and carries us the rest of the way (depending on the issue).

One of the biggest defeats can come from just looking at how giant something is and sort of giving up or trying to tackle it head on and just straight up failing. I think he will meet you there as well tackling it head on, it's imperative to recognize that without his help you can't do it. It may not be for this particular thing but it's always a good idea to lean on the Lord. So when you do overcome, praise follows.

Even in things I've done on my own, it's slower, less efficient, and I lose something vital (I'm pretty sure) in the process of doing it my way. Scars aren't fun :(

So...think of some way possibly that you can alter the habit. That's a good first step. Think about "how" this occurs. Do you feel a craving and cave in right away? Or is there something of a buildup?

I think all addiction should be handled delicately but sometimes there is room for experimentation.

Have you tried eating first? I mean just eating potatoes (which I'm pretty sure carbs break down into sugar) could go a long way.

I personally loved Kool-aid with sugar. There's this drink mix with sucralose that is Kool-aid now in a little squeeze bottle that is quite tasty at first but now I'm indifferent to it. Mostly because I want sugar and sucralose has ceased to really taste good unless I want Kool-aid. But I just ignore it.

Mixing up habits sometimes can go quite far.

I put a certain amount of sugar in my coffee and when I have it black and skip sugar I start to crave some type of sugar product at some point throughout the day. I usually ignore it, but the next day I do not skip the sugar, but if it's too sweet I don't drink it either. I think because possibly the body does have a need for sugar and that it will regulate it. The biggest thing is to treat it something like medicine and not overindulge.

Some meds can cause cravings. Zyprexa certainly does. Also pay attention to if the foods you eat are also high in sugar. Diabetes is a thing and if you are prediabetic sugar can exacerbate it. Sometimes additional knowledge on a subject can lead to more accountability with things.

Im on on some mental medications thats supposely make me gain weight, i'm going to put it all in Gods handds! Let him take control.
I think it's more like a need that i crave it and then i need more and more.. dunno i thought it was more spiritual but mann i need Jesus to take the wheel. I really need to watch my weight and way of eating.

Feb 28, 2016
Jesus has already taken the wheel by showing you the problem and you obviously
already know what needs to be done -
Jesus brought this to your attention, and now it is your 'job' to do yours,
if you choose to do so...
when we've been given the tools, we must use them ourselves...

M

Miri

If it’s the sweetness you crave, try substituting things like grapes, pineapple chunks,
, sweet popcorn etc. They are lower in calories and have more nutrition.

Usually any diet changes are worse for the first two weeks, but if you can stick it out
that long then it gets much easier.

Two weeks is such a short time - tell yourself that and give it a go. 👍