S
SleepyNurse
Guest
6/27/14
Today I ran into a doctor I used to work with. She asked how I was doing and I told her that I'm doing great. I told her I had no regrets leaving my old job. She was happy for me. Seeing her reminded me of the constant stress I used to feel at my old job. I was very unhappy and discouraged back then. In fact, I left every day feeling like a failure. Thinking back to those feelings, I'm so grateful to God for blessing me with this amazing new job I have now. No more shift work; weekends; holidays. No more criticisms; demands; or constant expectations to perform. No more entitled patients and their families or demanding doctors or upper management who expects you to do more with much less.
I was reminded today of the courageous decision I made to leave a bad situation. It's not easy starting over in any facet of life. I mean, I'm in my late 40's and I was advancing at my job and trying to put in for a promotion. So to start something new was not even on my radar at the time. I felt very comfortable at my old job. I knew everything, everyone, all the problems and where to find all the solutions.... but at the same time, I was very stressed and unhappy even though I was making the money and doing well professionally.
But I remember one of my coworkers shared with me this profound statement that really stuck with me: When you're in a bad situation, you can do one of two things: either you stop complaining and change your attitude or you stop complaining and move on to something else. That hit me like a ton of bricks. I became a nurse because I wanted to help people and really make a difference in their lives. But I had no longer felt that way. I was complaining a lot; I hated my job; and it was all I could do to wake up and go to work. I realized that I needed to do something. I was scared and afraid to lose what I had but God gave me just what I needed to move on.
When this position came along, I knew it was from God. I had been searching for jobs and had several prospects but nothing really solid. An old coworker contacted me and told me about this position. I applied and within a week I was interviewed and offered this job. Suddenly everything became clear and I made a decision to stop complaining and move on.
Since then, I've been so grateful. I don't ever want to be afraid to step out on faith. I don't want to ever be afraid to change because change keeps me alive and keeps me on my toes. As I get older, it feels harder to change but I'm determined to keep fighting that part of me that wants to stay the same.
Change leads to growth and I think I've grown a lot this year. It's not been easy and has hurt at times, but I look back and I'm incredibly grateful.
Today I ran into a doctor I used to work with. She asked how I was doing and I told her that I'm doing great. I told her I had no regrets leaving my old job. She was happy for me. Seeing her reminded me of the constant stress I used to feel at my old job. I was very unhappy and discouraged back then. In fact, I left every day feeling like a failure. Thinking back to those feelings, I'm so grateful to God for blessing me with this amazing new job I have now. No more shift work; weekends; holidays. No more criticisms; demands; or constant expectations to perform. No more entitled patients and their families or demanding doctors or upper management who expects you to do more with much less.
I was reminded today of the courageous decision I made to leave a bad situation. It's not easy starting over in any facet of life. I mean, I'm in my late 40's and I was advancing at my job and trying to put in for a promotion. So to start something new was not even on my radar at the time. I felt very comfortable at my old job. I knew everything, everyone, all the problems and where to find all the solutions.... but at the same time, I was very stressed and unhappy even though I was making the money and doing well professionally.
But I remember one of my coworkers shared with me this profound statement that really stuck with me: When you're in a bad situation, you can do one of two things: either you stop complaining and change your attitude or you stop complaining and move on to something else. That hit me like a ton of bricks. I became a nurse because I wanted to help people and really make a difference in their lives. But I had no longer felt that way. I was complaining a lot; I hated my job; and it was all I could do to wake up and go to work. I realized that I needed to do something. I was scared and afraid to lose what I had but God gave me just what I needed to move on.
When this position came along, I knew it was from God. I had been searching for jobs and had several prospects but nothing really solid. An old coworker contacted me and told me about this position. I applied and within a week I was interviewed and offered this job. Suddenly everything became clear and I made a decision to stop complaining and move on.
Since then, I've been so grateful. I don't ever want to be afraid to step out on faith. I don't want to ever be afraid to change because change keeps me alive and keeps me on my toes. As I get older, it feels harder to change but I'm determined to keep fighting that part of me that wants to stay the same.
Change leads to growth and I think I've grown a lot this year. It's not been easy and has hurt at times, but I look back and I'm incredibly grateful.