My mother forcing my headshave in velankanni

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Meena

Jun 17, 2018
Thank you

You can bring enough honor to your mother by the way you live your life for Jesus so God Bless you and I pray that the Lord turn your sorrow into determination to victory and a closer walk to know Jesus more and that if your are shamed that you by the power of the Holy Spirit to learn and receive victory .. God Bless you Meena ..

Meena

Jun 17, 2018
I feel humiliated to meet my friends with my bald head. Even I don't like my face without hair. But this is the only thing she asked me, even though I fought for sometime. At last accepted. I asked her to direct me for 15 minutes and stopped using my mind. I felt that my head was lighter after that.

Thanks for the update. Care to share a little bit of why you decided to go through with it?

I understand honoring your parents, but other than that?

Great job posting back, such an uncommon thing to see :)

bojack

Dec 16, 2019
I feel humiliated to meet my friends with my bald head. Even I don't like my face without hair. But this is the only thing she asked me, even though I fought for sometime. At last accepted. I asked her to direct me for 15 minutes and stopped using my mind. I felt that my head was lighter after that.
You are more beautiful than you'll ever know ..

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Well it's always a nice feeling to have resolution on an issue and have it behind you. Especially when it presents a crisis and you aren't sure on what you should do.

I had that happen with a car issue and eventually it was taken out of my hands and is behind me. Maybe not worth all the stress and agonizing over, but maybe it was. Either way, nice to see you can move forward :)

Meena

Jun 17, 2018
Well it's always a nice feeling to have resolution on an issue and have it behind you. Especially when it presents a crisis and you aren't sure on what you should do.

I had that happen with a car issue and eventually it was taken out of my hands and is behind me. Maybe not worth all the stress and agonizing over, but maybe it was. Either way, nice to see you can move forward :)
Well said

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
Meena, the bible says we are to honor our parents,not always obey what they say!! Honor means to listen,and consider, period! When they started putting me in bondage I moved out.No one should ever look to control another! I sure as hell would never allow it! Honor and obey are not the same. And when you said you do not believe the Lord wants this,you are doing the right thing!!( Rom 8:14-15)

Meena

Jun 17, 2018
Probably, they would have sold it for manufacturing wigs. I don't know for sure. But mostly

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Probably, they would have sold it for manufacturing wigs. I don't know for sure. But mostly
So is your hair growing out again? I've thought of donating my hair for a wig but I'd rather hold onto it to make my own wig or pay for it if I have the resources. If not, I suppose I can just donate the hair anyway.

Meena

Jun 17, 2018
Yes it is growing out well. It is short still. I am sure it takes few years to grow it long again.

Mar 4, 2021
A lot of fellow christians have made nasty comments without having researched the issue. I am a lawyer and I am disappointed that one christian even suggested this 25 year old sue her mother and get a restraining order.

I am glad Meena did not take a lot of "rush to judgment" advice.

Meena does not specify her location in India, nor the church she belongs to.

Horrific poverty exists in many parts of India.
No church specifically recommends shaving your head. At least I have not been advised of this by anyone.

However, the India christian community goes back to the time of Christ. it was, I believe, the apostle Thomas that first visited India and converted thousands.
Some of the old churches had customs that seem barbaric to Americans.
First of all, one lady said that Meena should refuse because it was Meena's body and she could do with it what she wanted. Sounds sort of like what pro aborts argue.
In fact, scripture teaches us repeatedly that our bodies are temples of the holy spirit.
That is why sins that involve our own flesh are often considered the worst, because we offend God by using the temple of the holy spirit God gave us for evil things.

I don't want to belabor this but many families in india have very little choice, to keep bread on the table, other than to give up their hair for wig making.
Moroever, Paul teaches us in the christian scriptures that he himself shaved his own head because of a vow he made to God.

Throughout history; when people repented for sins of their nation or their own sins, they would show that by shaving their head.
This is not restricted to christianity. There are tens of thousands of monks of eastern religions that require the shaving of the head as a sign of humility in order to enter the religious life. i believe that all buddhist males must shave their heads when they do their mandatory one year of monastery training at the age of 12 years old, or so.

Most people here on this chat, are americans I think. We need to get all the facts before we rush to judgment about parent-child relationships in other countries. Just saying.

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
Understand Godrulesdude,but that was there choice!! That is my point! One does what they have to do to live,but when someone else looks to take control of your own life,well at least to me that is a far different matter.Tradition is for those who wish to keep it,not have to keep it. And in India they have more gods they worship then carter has pills.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
A lot of fellow christians have made nasty comments without having researched the issue. I am a lawyer and I am disappointed that one christian even suggested this 25 year old sue her mother and get a restraining order.

No church specifically recommends shaving your head. At least I have not been advised of this by anyone.

However, the India christian community goes back to the time of Christ. it was, I believe, the apostle Thomas that first visited India and converted thousands.
First of all, one lady said that Meena should refuse because it was Meena's body and she could do with it what she wanted. Sounds sort of like what pro aborts argue.
In fact, scripture teaches us repeatedly that our bodies are temples of the holy spirit.
That is why sins that involve our own flesh are often considered the worst, because we offend God by using the temple of the holy spirit God gave us for evil things.

I don't want to belabor this but many families in india have very little choice, to keep bread on the table, other than to give up their hair for wig making.
Moroever, Paul teaches us in the christian scriptures that he himself shaved his own head because of a vow he made to God.

Throughout history; when people repented for sins of their nation or their own sins, they would show that by shaving their head.
This is not restricted to christianity. There are tens of thousands of monks of eastern religions that require the shaving of the head as a sign of humility in order to enter the religious life. i believe that all buddhist males must shave their heads when they do their mandatory one year of monastery training at the age of 12 years old, or so.

Most people here on this chat, are americans I think. We need to get all the facts before we rush to judgment about parent-child relationships in other countries. Just saying.
Labeling culture as a valid excuse is a falsehood.
Also your comparisons of monks, etc does not work, either. If these people choose to enter this life and Abide by the requirements then then exercise their free will to do so. Comparing that to someone who is forced against their will and saying those are the same is ludicrous.
Just because something flies under the banned of culture does not make it infallible. Another way to describe culture is human rules. And I think it's quite clear that those tend to have many flaws.

Meena

Jun 17, 2018

velankini is the place. i had long hair. i am a sinner and need to shave to wash them away or gain mercy. thats what my mothr told me.

Jan 5, 2022
"A higher plane," hehe
www.youtube.com
That is not a Christian custom at all.
The opposite, in fact. Christians are not to vow vows. And the Bible says this about hair:

1Co 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

So let me ask, is your mother a Christian, or is she a pagan who is just trying to humiliate you - possibly because you are a Christian? It is your body. Tell your mother - respectfully - that she can promise her own body in fulfillment of frivolous and unbiblical vows, but not yours, because it belongs to God:

Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
1Co 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.