Naive, trusting God or just plain stupid?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

toinena

Sometimes the nagging feeling comes when you are about to make a decision of importance. Am I naive to think everything will turn out fine, am I doing a leap of faith trusting God to fill in the what ifs or am I plain stupid to ignore some questions that has popped up?

How to pray in this kind of situation and how to lean and even cling to God in a time of transition and decision-making?

I really would like to hear your experiences and thoughts, guys!

fizzyjoe

Oct 22, 2018
Sometimes the nagging feeling comes when you are about to make a decision of importance. Am I naive to think everything will turn out fine, am I doing a leap of faith trusting God to fill in the what ifs or am I plain stupid to ignore some questions that has popped up?

How to pray in this kind of situation and how to lean and even cling to God in a time of transition and decision-making?

I think it depends on the situation, if it's a matter of sharing the Bible being focused on leading others to Christ then I would trust the Holy spirit to lead in such a situation, other times I think God has us deliberate on some matters ourselves though of course prayer and keeping God in mind are good, what has helped me lately has been not getting sarcastic, do my best to be calm and think things through when a situation arises though it's still a struggle for me with being a bit hyper active and having anxiety.
Seems like a calmer mind leads to better results.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
I dont think it's being naive or stupid. We all have what if's, doubts, questions, and more questions. I have not much to say.. just to cling to His word, and declare that He is Lord over your thoughts, plans and decisions. Continue to praise Him in song, in spirit and truth. Sometimes- or many times, He will want us to wait on Him, so we got to be patient as well, wc i believe you know, toinena.

God bless.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
God didn't give people brains to not use them.
If you choose not to make decisions are you prepared to take responsibility for not doing so? Rather than blaming God or other people if things go poorly? Or saying something happened "to" you and acting as if you had no control?
Is wisdom found in Not planning ahead?

W

Wild

This isn't a trick question is it? I"m bad at those

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014

Depends a lot on the situation, the decision and the question that popped up. I have run into trouble with this in two ways.

The first way of course is when I charge into a situation and expect God to work it out for me, instead of asking God whether I should even be in this situation. God is not a genie to magically work out the things I decide to do, nor is God a parachute to pop open when things go wrong.

The second way is when I want something soooooo bad and I ask God for something soooooo much that God finally sighs and gives it to me even though it's not the best thing for me, just because I wanted it sooooooooooooooooooo bad!

I have done both of these. It wasn't a pretty sight. :rolleyes:

cinder

Mar 26, 2014

That's a perfectly normal feeling, especially when you're facing a decision that's so big it will alter a huge part of your life. It comes from not having a crystal ball or other foolproof way to tell the future and so not being able to know and prove 100% that everything tied to this decision is going to go exactly as you want it to. I think God kind of designed it that way because that's part of where faith steps in and helps you know which way you should go.

It's naive to assume that everything is going to go perfectly with no unexpected setback, surprises, or challenges. It's stupid to ignore legitimate concerns or think that the act of making a decision is going to overcome and sweep away current difficulties. Decisions aren't going to be a magic fix. But it's just as foolish to miss your whole life because you're so paralyzed by the what ifs that you never commit to a course of action and keep selecting the do nothing option by default.

What I usually do in such a situation is horribly overplan and overprepare for every possible outcome I can conceive of (not saying this a good thing), remind myself that whatever comes God and I are in it together, and often pray that if I'm about to do something stupid or make the wrong decision that God will make it clear to me and stop me. I've also found it useful at times to ask God to guide me in how to behave and respond to situations rather than to just make the hard parts of my decisions go away (at times I also whine like a spoiled child to God).

danja

Nov 28, 2014
What I do is pray to God to show me the way I should go. I seek him with all my heart . What he does is either show the way or stop me from going further

T

toinena

Thank you guys for input.

I guess it is no right or wrong answer herebut prayer and blocking out negative voices and focus on what is God's will in this is as close as you can get a straight answer.... it is just so that I am easily confused. I guess I have some bad experiences from before, and it kind of quadruple the unease.

I have had friends that made "leap of faith" in getting married (one girl I knew), leaving his job and leave for Brazil (a guy a knew) and leaving their family, jobs and security for some message and ending up having nothing (a couple I knew)

Some times it is very hard to discern what is from God, what is from one self and what is from the enemy.

I think it is an important topic though, because we all, i guess, have been in situations like this.

danja

Nov 28, 2014

I guess it is no right or wrong answer herebut prayer and blocking out negative voices and focus on what is God's will in this is as close as you can get a straight answer.... it is just so that I am easily confused. I guess I have some bad experiences from before, and it kind of quadruple the unease.

I have had friends that made "leap of faith" in getting married (one girl I knew), leaving his job and leave for Brazil (a guy a knew) and leaving their family, jobs and security for some message and ending up having nothing (a couple I knew)

Some times it is very hard to discern what is from God, what is from one self and what is from the enemy.

I think it is an important topic though, because we all, i guess, have been in situations like this.
Hugs sister. I will pray for you. ❤️

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

Sometimes it is best to not over-analyze the situation because this often lead to unnecessary anxiety and doubt that will hinder making any type of decision. You are certainly not naïve, if you just simply trust in God everything will probably turn out fine but that is not to say there won't be any challenges that you will face. Even then, God will be with you and guide you through any problems that may arise. Of course you have questions, none of which are stupid but are they genuine concerns or just the result of fear of the unknown. I believe that I know what you are talking about and want you to know that I have been where you are now. Any decision made is really a leap of faith but do know that God wants us to have life and have it more abundantly. "Fear not" says the Lord.

Solemateleft

Honor, Courage, Commitment
Jun 25, 2017

I agree with all of the sound advice that you have received so far...
When it comes to sound decision making I like to break it down to available info, chance, risk, options and estimates of supportability.
While I prefer to take into consideration all available info, it is also practical to make the most reasonable decision knowing that when pressed for time you might not ever have access to all or perfect info.
I consider what if scenarios, or what are the chances of x,y,z happening.
I like to consider what are the associated risks associated if x,y,z occurs...
I consider what are all of my options and even potential combinations of options...
And then I consider if I have the means to support each of these options...
If it is a big decision I may even make a list of advantages vs disadvantages for all my options...
And ultimately, in the absence of knowing perfect information, I will make the best decision I can with the limited information available, and pray that HE has my back.
Alternatively, I teasingly call my youngest son Judge Judy as he is very decisive, it drives me nuts...
Some people are so decisive, I claim to a fault, but I refer to judge Judy, bc while I do not always agree with her rationale or her decisions, I do respect how she is able to get thru life with that kinda mindset...
She doesn't do too bad, and she doesn't seem to over think, or loose sleep over her rapid decision making process...

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
What it all boils down to, is God will let us make good and bad decisions. If we weren't allowed the bad decisions we would learn very little. So, we must conclude that whatever we decide, God can bring good out of it. I think we learn more from our mistakes than from our successes.

Rom. 8:28
"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. "

Aug 2, 2009
If this is about what i think it's about... My advice is to wait and give it a few more months. Don't rush into anything, especially when waiting will reveal more and make things clearer to you.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org

Well if you are talking of making a life changing decision, tread carefully. I take back what I said about God letting us make bad decisions. While reading more I think you are addressing a life changer. You will obviously have to live with your decision, so don't rush it. I am praying for you toinena. :cool:

Jan 20, 2019

Listen to that nagging feeling and consult others. God leads in peace. If you don't have total peace over it, don't do it.

L

LadyInWaiting

Listen to that nagging feeling and consult others. God leads in peace. If you don't have total peace over it, don't do it.
Yes, this is good advice! If you feel any hint of discomfort with whatever decision you're making, then maybe take more time in making said decision. Talk to your pastor, friends, and family. If it's a large decision, pray, fast, and read the Word. Look for God's answer. Pray for his will.
Those nagging feelings are there for a reason. It could be your spirit telling you something. Yield to the Lord and wait for his answer.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Yes, this is good advice! If you feel any hint of discomfort with whatever decision you're making, then maybe take more time in making said decision. Talk to your pastor, friends, and family. If it's a large decision, pray, fast, and read the Word. Look for God's answer. Pray for his will.
Those nagging feelings are there for a reason. It could be your spirit telling you something. Yield to the Lord and wait for his answer.
This is only good advice to a point. I'm all about seeking counsel from others and analyzing those nagging nervous feelings to root out what the source of them is. But sometimes it's just realizing the gravity of committing to a major decision and knowing there's no turning back once you do that creates that nagging feeling. And it's perfectly normal to be a bit nervous or uneasy on the verge of something big, to me that's not an automatic disqualifier.

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
It's never stupid to put your full trust in God. He gives us free will, but more importantly He wants us to rely and trust in Him. When we seek Him with all our heart, He gives us the peace that passes understanding and able to listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit to guide us. When in doubt, look to the scriptures... it's our instruction book for life :)

Proverbs 3:5-6 New International Version (NIV)
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.[a]

Daniel 6:23 New International Version (NIV)
23 The king was overjoyed and gave orders to lift Daniel out of the den. And when Daniel was lifted from the den, no wound was found on him, because he had trusted in his God.

Psalm 9:10 New International Version (NIV)
10 Those who know your name trust in you,
for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.