Natural and Spiritual Marriage Parallels

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
What steps does one take to become a bride? In the natural realm a person becomes a legitimate bride after three things have taken place: engagement, marriage, and consummation. The same is true in the case of a spiritual union.

In the natural marriage process, ordinarily a man invites a woman to consider becoming his bride. If she accepts, she realizes her life will change course. A new path lies just over the horizon. Having made a commitment, one to the other, they link arms and their journey begins. Upon the commitment of engagement the parties have temporary access to one another’s property, authority, etc; i.e., you can drive your fiancée’s car, use their name to gain immediate access to their office, and so on. If the commitment is broken and a marriage does not take place these entitlements cease to exist. If a marriage results from the couple’s union, then everything they own becomes communal property. However, if consummation does not take place the marriage is considered invalid; the covenant was not sealed. Therefore, the parties can reverse their decision and file for annulment at which time the parties revert to their official single status and retain their respective possessions.

Likewise, the spiritual marriage process takes place when we accept Jesus as our personal Savior (engagement); we then take on His name in water baptism (marriage), and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost (consummation). The outward evidence of the private consummation in the natural realm is a baby, and speaking in tongues in the spiritual realm.

The Lord calls us to repentance. He invites us to make an immediate about-face and begin walking with Him as His future bride. We willingly abandon our old way of life. Our focus is now placed on exploring and experiencing what the future holds. Jesus gives us a glimpse of what life will be like once we are married to Him. As His “fiancé,” He provides for us. He graciously allows us to experience a sample of the eternal life that awaits us. He gives us favor in this life, healing, prosperity and everything that is stated in His Word. After all, we are His betrothed. However, only a bride can gain entrance into the bridegroom’s eternal home. If we refuse to complete our commitment and do not exchange “wedding vows” and “consummate” the marriage we remain a fiancé and never become His bride.

In Matthew 7, we are told that Jesus will say to some, “I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” This scripture indicates that even though some people used His name and demonstrated its authority they were not intimately known of Him. Why? Was the engagement the only thing that had taken place? Jesus told the people they were workers of iniquity. I find the definition of iniquity very interesting. As noted below, iniquity is defined as a deviation off of the right path.

In the Old Testament of the 11 words translated "iniquity," by far the most common and important is `awon (about 215 times). Etymologically, it is customary to explain it as meaning literally "crookedness," "perverseness," i.e. evil regarded as that which is not straight or upright, moral distortion (from `iwwah, "to bend," "make crooked," "pervert"). Driver, however (following Lagarde), maintains that two roots, distinct in Arabic, have been confused In Hebrew, one = "to bend," "pervert" (as above), and the other = "to err," "go astray"; that `awon is derived from the latter, and consequently expresses the idea of error, deviation from the right path, rather than that of perversion (International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia)

How does one deviate from the right path? They deviate off the right path when they refuse to take God’s established path to their desired destination — Heaven.

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.” John 10:1

If you will recall, Jesus said He was going to prepare a place and would return for His bride and enter into the marriage supper of the lamb in the last day. He will return and receive to Himself those who are already His bride. We are not told that we will become his bride after leaving this earth:

“Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and His wife hath made herself ready.” Revelation 19:7

The following excerpt was taken from the Jewish learning website, “For centuries the Jewish bride has immersed herself in a mikveh--a ritual bath--in preparation for her wedding. The bridal mikveh was a woman's first trip to a place that would be part of her life's rhythms… According to the Talmud, the ultimate source of all water is the river that emerged from Eden. By immersing in the mikveh, people participate in the wholeness of Eden and are reborn as pure as Adam and Eve. Mikveh also represents the physical source of life--the womb--from which humans enter the world untouched by sin. For brides and grooms mikveh is a physical enactment of the passage from being unmarried to married. Entering the huppah [marriage canopy] is a public declaration of a change in status; entering the mikveh is a private transforming moment….” Myjewishlearning.com

P

pottersclay

But not all speak in tongues. What then?

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
To me, the engagement is "I have decided to follow Jesus" and the marriage is being baptized into Christ, and the consummation is being spiritially intimate with the Lord- which does not have to be speaking in tongues, it can be any ongoing prayer and praise. The result is a new person. Physically that would be a baby, but spiritually that is us conforming to his likeness.

This is why He says that if you have tasted and known that God is good, have known His truths and power, if you were to go be intimate with another God, that you can never come back. A wife can have many faults, but if she has that one, if she is unfaithful to him he can end the marriage. So if I, having been a Christian for decades, having studied His Word, and had many intimate conversations and feelings with Him, if I were now to leave and go worship Muhammad, and or Krishna, Buddha or etc., I can never return to the Almighty God Lord of Heaven and earth. (Hebrews 6:4-6).

Unfortunately, many do not get engaged to Him, they do not marry Him, nor do they consummate with Him. They believe they will receive all the benefits of a marriage with Him just by simply believing that He exists.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
But not all speak in tongues. What then?
Much confusion arises about tongues when scripture is not rightly divided.
There are two types of "tongue" experiences.
1. Upon the initial infilling of the Holy Ghost each person will speak in tongues. (Acts 2:1-4, 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 10:44-48, 19:1-6)

2. Spiritual gift of speaking in different tongues or interpretation of tongues for the edification of the church body. (1 Cor 12:1-11)

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
It would be the same with healing, the gift of knowledge, predicting God's plans for us, etc, not all have all gifts.
Much confusion arises about tongues when scripture is not rightly divided.
There are two types of "tongue" experiences.
1. Upon the initial infilling of the Holy Ghost each person will speak in tongues. (Acts 2:1-4, 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 10:44-48, 19:1-6)

2. Spiritual gift of speaking in different tongues or interpretation of tongues for the edification of the church body. (1 Cor 12:1-11)

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
To me, the engagement is "I have decided to follow Jesus" and the marriage is being baptized into Christ, and the consummation is being spiritially intimate with the Lord- which does not have to be speaking in tongues, it can be any ongoing prayer and praise. The result is a new person. Physically that would be a baby, but spiritually that is us conforming to his likeness.

This is why He says that if you have tasted and known that God is good, have known His truths and power, if you were to go be intimate with another God, that you can never come back. A wife can have many faults, but if she has that one, if she is unfaithful to him he can end the marriage. So if I, having been a Christian for decades, having studied His Word, and had many intimate conversations and feelings with Him, if I were now to leave and go worship Muhammad, and or Krishna, Buddha or etc., I can never return to the Almighty God Lord of Heaven and earth. (Hebrews 6:4-6).

Unfortunately, many do not get engaged to Him, they do not marry Him, nor do they consummate with Him. They believe they will receive all the benefits of a marriage with Him just by simply believing that He exists.
There is nothing more intimate than God coming into His bride via the Holy Ghost baptism. The experience fills the believer completely to overflowing wherein speaking in tongues is produced.
God takes control of our tongue something man is incapable of doing on his own. (James 3)
Also, as in the tabernacle in the wilderness God's presence was evidenced by fire above the tabernacle. This correlates with the fire above each of the individuals (God's N.T. tabernacle) in the upper room on the Day of Pentecost.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
The bride takes on the bridegroom's name...
When a man and woman are united in marriage the new wife takes on her husband’s name. The preacher does not use descriptive titles associated with a fiancée in the marriage ceremony; i.e., “Mary Smith, do you take this officer, carpenter and son of Mr. and Mrs. Doe, as your lawfully wedded husband?” Rather he says “Do you take John Doe to be your lawfully wedded husband?” After the ceremony, the bride is Mrs. John Doe. The bride sheds her birth name and acquires a new name. The bride and groom are no longer two individuals but are one in the eyes of God..

In the book of Matthew, Jesus said, “…All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.” He went on to say “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:” (28:18) Why would Jesus say that all power was given unto Him and in the next sentence state to baptize in the titles of Father, Son and the Holy Spirit? He did not.

Jesus told the disciples to water baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit; He was referring to His own name. Consider what is conveyed by the following biblical scriptures:

“I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.” John 5:43 (Father)

“O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.” John 17:25-26

“And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.” Colossians 3:17 (Son)

“But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. John 14:26 (Holy Ghost)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
i've been told that the ancient Hebrew betrothal process customarily has 12 steps:

1. the Father of the Groom chooses a bride
  2. He pays the father of the bride a price for her
  3. the betrothal is announced with a feast
  4. a marriage covenant is declared, wherein the Groom declares He will provide for all the brides needs
  5. the bride declares whether she accepts or rejects the Groom
  6. (if she accepts) the Groom gives her gifts, and offers a cup of wine, which she drinks, and He also
  7. the bride is washed & sanctified
  8. the Groom departs to prepare a place for her, at His Father's house
  9. the consecrated bride waits for Him to return, at a time set by the Father of the Groom & kept secret - if the Groom is asked when it will be, He customarily says 'only the Father knows' even though He may actually know
  10. the Groom returns with a shout, announcing His coming with the blowing a horn, to snatch up His bride, usually in the middle of the night.
  11. He takes her into His tent, where they stay together for 7 days and consummate the marriage. the friend of the Groom waits outside for evidence of her purity, a blood-stained linen
  12. a marriage supper is held, where the proof of the brides purity is shown, and all the invited guests rejoice, feasting and drinking wine. this can last for quite some time

what do you think?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
To me, the engagement is "I have decided to follow Jesus"
this would be step 5, once steps 1-4 have been made known

There is nothing more intimate than God coming into His bride via the Holy Ghost baptism.
if there's really nothing more intimate then we have nothing to look forward to lol..
this would be step 7

The experience fills the believer completely to overflowing wherein speaking in tongues is produced.
part of step 6, the giving of betrothal gifts .. Acts ch. 10 demonstrates that the Spirit may be given before H2O immersion ;)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Also, as in the tabernacle in the wilderness God's presence was evidenced by fire above the tabernacle. This correlates with the fire above each of the individuals (God's N.T. tabernacle) in the upper room on the Day of Pentecost.
i rather think that first-fruits/pentecost correlates with the fire on the mountain at Sinai -- where there was also a great noise and tongues ((Exodus 19:16 - 'thunderings' could be literally translated as 'voices' - see also v.9, God says 'the people will hear Me speaking to you')). 3,000 were slain there when Moses came down and ground the idol into powder, and 3,000 saved on first-fruits. there's many more parallels but it's a bit off-topic and would take a great deal of time & words to convey.. i encourage you to look into it :)

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
part of step 6, the giving of betrothal gifts .. Acts ch. 10 demonstrates that the Spirit may be given before H2O immersion ;)
Infilling of the Holy Ghost with evidence of tongues (Acts 2:1-4, 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 10:44-48, 19:1-6) is different from the Spiritual gift of tongues in Corinthians chapter 12.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Infilling of the Holy Ghost with evidence of tongues (Acts 2:1-4, 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 10:44-48, 19:1-6) is different from the Spiritual gift of tongues in Corinthians chapter 12.
is this about tongues or about marriage?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
i've been told that the ancient Hebrew betrothal process customarily has 12 steps:

4. a marriage covenant is declared, wherein the Groom declares He will provide for all the brides needs
  6. (if she accepts) the Groom gives her gifts, and offers a cup of wine, which she drinks, and He also
  9. the consecrated bride waits for Him to return, at a time set by the Father of the Groom & kept secret - if the Groom is asked when it will be, He customarily says 'only the Father knows' even though He may actually know
  10. the Groom returns with a shout, announcing His coming with the blowing a horn, to snatch up His bride, usually in the middle of the night.
  11. He takes her into His tent, where they stay together for 7 days and consummate the marriage. the friend of the Groom waits outside for evidence of her purity, a blood-stained linen
  12. a marriage supper is held, where the proof of the brides purity is shown, and all the invited guests rejoice, feasting and drinking wine. this can last for quite some time
what do you think?
1. God has chosen us (Eph 1:4; Eph 3:11; 2 Thes 2:13).
2. God's blood paid the price (Gal 3:13;-14; Rev 1:5, 5:9; 1 Peter 1:18-19; 1 Cor 6:19-20, 7:23a; etc).
3. Scripture announced this fact.
4. Jesus/God declared the covenant.
5. We confess with our mouths and believe in our hearts.
6. "Do this in remembrance of me."
7. We are washed and sanctified by Jesus/Holy Spirit.
8. Jesus has gone to prepare a place for us.
9. We await His return.
10. Jesus returns with trumpet sound and a shout.
11. The New Jerusalem descends from heaven to the new earth.
12. Revelation 19:7–10

:)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Upon the initial infilling of the Holy Ghost each person will speak in tongues.
** imagines the unborn fetus John speaking in tongues **

Luke 1:15
he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
is this about tongues or about marriage?
The infilling of the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues parallels the natural marriage consummation. You mentioned your #6 as the giving of Spiritual gifts. There would definitely be a difference.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
** imagines the unborn fetus John speaking in tongues **

Luke 1:15
he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb
The New Testament salvation plan of repentance, water baptism in Jesus name, and the infilling of the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues began after Jesus' death, burial and resurrection. Without Jesus' sacrifice and resurrection there would be no way to God.

P

pottersclay

what do you think?
Are you taking this from Abrahams account for Isaac?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Are you taking this from Abrahams account for Isaac?
part of it is corroborated in how Abraham involved himself in Isaac's marriage. you can corroboration in scripture for all of it, but doing so is kinda like confirmation bias; you'd have to go looking for it in scripture rather than piece it together from scripture itself.

but this isn't my own thinking; i listen to a lot of sermons, as many as a dozen per week. i've heard a number of different pastors/teachers bring this up in varying degrees - though it's not something commonly taught or discussed by any stretch. looking for more information about it, like, to verify it's a thing ((because it turns out sometimes you hear preachers say things that turn out to be 'urban legends')) i found similar talk about it from a number of other sources online, particularly among Messianic Jews. puzzlingly tho, strictly Judaic places like Chabbad & MyJewishLearning etc don't seem to have the same information. there are similarities in how they describe traditional Hebrew marriage, but it's not laid out the way i put it. this may just reflect the modernization of Jewish culture, tho.

if there's really truth to this, IMO it brings a certain clarity to parables like the wise & foolish virgins and some other things ((see Magenta's post)) -- if this is really the ancient custom of betrothal & marriage, then Jesus was in many places using specific 'betrothal language' and references, and it ties together a lot of NT scripture.