Neglected youth

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Hopeful_1

Apr 27, 2015
Anyone out here who didnt have the love of a mother and father growing up? How did God heal you? Are you praying for healing? How has it affected your walk with the Lord?

T

Tinuviel

I always knew that my mom loved me, and I truly do think Dad loved me in his way, but my parents were very emotionally unavailable. Healing for me was a daily process: every day I prayed for the strength to forgive them when I felt angry at them for not being there for me. If anything, it has made my walk with the Lord stronger, since I couldn't depend on my parents for emotional support, so I went to God :).

Dec 17, 2013
I grew up with a mother that taught me the basics on how to not go to hell and a father that didn't believe in God until recently so I am blessed with both sides of the spectrum.

From what I've seen and consequently believe, I think that belief in God is a personal choice that one makes for themselves as a adult after they have assimilated the facts.

I've seen people who grew up in crackhouses make better decisions than I have ,so I don't think that upbringing comes in to play for a adult.

T

Tinuviel

I grew up with a mother that taught me the basics on how to not go to hell and a father that didn't believe in God until recently so I am blessed with both sides of the spectrum.

From what I've seen and consequently believe, I think that belief in God is a personal choice that one makes for themselves as a adult after they have assimilated the facts.

I've seen people who grew up in crackhouses make better decisions than I have ,so I don't think that upbringing comes in to play for a adult.

I definitely agree that God doesn't need a good, churchy background to save a person, and that sometimes it is even a detriment. But I think he does work through his families, and background is very important :).

Yeraza_Bats

Dec 11, 2014
I grew up without a father. He left us when I was a small child, and he did not stay in contact with us.

I was lucky to have a wonderful mother, though. She worked hard for us, and she loved us more than anything. I have a huge amount of love and respect for my mother and I do not accept any disrespectful talk about her :p

There were times where I wanted a father, though. But I did have many people in my life growing up. I had two brothers that I was really close to growing up. We were always together and did everything together, and my older brother (whos about 3 and a half years older than me) actually taught me alot of things. Like, having to shave my face, he was actually the one who taught me how to do that, haha.

And also, I learned at a young age to forgive my father, and to not hold any anger or resentment against him. My mom did not speak out against my father, nor did she let us. I mean, she accepted that we were saddened by his leaving, and we could talk about it. But she never encouraged any hate against him. I knew at a young age that he had issues with drugs and alcohol, and that he had serious struggles in life. And even at a young age I decided I wasnt going to be angry at him, and that I would accept that I didnt have a father. And I always felt lucky that our mom cared about us as much as she did : p

I think the biggest thing is to learn to let go of any anger and being willing to forgive, because thats what helped me come to accept that, even though all my friends had dads, that I did not. Instead of having any anger towards him, I knew he was a troubled person, and now I just hope that he gets better and gives his life to Christ, and accept that even though I had a disadvantage growing up, I still had many good things in my life to be happy about.

D

Depleted

Anyone out here who didnt have the love of a mother and father growing up? How did God heal you? Are you praying for healing? How has it affected your walk with the Lord?
I don't know if God did heal me. He gave me a husband who loves me so much, it is absolutely hard for me to believe God could love me more.

And because they both love me, I know how to love and practice it. (Practice. Will never get it down perfectly in this lifetime.)

Dec 17, 2013
My parents are like yours, they never talked down each other because , I think , that would have discredited the other.