New Covenant and Old Covenant

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
It comes down to what did Jesus change about the priesthood?

1. he is the eternal high priest and offers sacrifice for sin in Heaven. Thus animal sacrifice has been abolished. *** how can you keep feasts as described in Mount Sinai if they don't have animal sacrifices?

2. He abolished the requirement to be a Levite or even a descendent of Israel to be a part of God's people.

3. All people with the Holy spirit are God's priests and to speak as Oracles of God.

He showed us how to honor Him with Passover, The rest if His Holy Days didn't require us to take the Blood of a Lamb and spread it in the two door posts (our arms and hands, which represent our works) and the Lintel (Which represents our head, or mind) or eat the Flesh.

But even this was instruction was for the people, not the Levite.

Lev. 23:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the LORD, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are my (The Word which became Flesh) feasts.

That is why there is no mention of these feasts in Jeremiah or Hebrews. They are not part of the Levitical Priesthood Jesus inherited.
 
So you don't believe the feasts are part of the New covenant?

I ask because I know for a fact that some folks on the forum do believe they are a part of it.
 
Okay I see your point . I don't agree that the only thing Jesus changed was the Levitical priesthood in the New covenant. However I can see were you are coming from.

That's OK,

I appreciate the discussion. You have a blessed day.
 
So you don't believe the feasts are part of the New covenant?

I ask because I know for a fact that some folks on the forum do believe they are a part of it.

I don't believe the Feasts of the Word which became Flesh are part of the Levitical Priesthood. This explains to me how Jesus healed people without the Levitical Priesthood "works of the Law", yet still observed God's Holy Days. IMO.
 
Prophets in the old testament healed people. Elisha even raised a boy from the dead.

Neither has to do with the Feasts established in the Old covenant at Mount Sinai, which Jesus abolished.
 
2 Co 3

7Now if the ministry of death, carved in letters on stone, came with such glory that the Israelites could not gaze at Moses’ face because of its glory, which was being brought to an end, 8will not the ministry of the Spirit have even more glory? 9For if there was glory in the ministry of condemnation, the ministry of righteousness must far exceed it in glory. 10Indeed, in this case, what once had glory has come to have no glory at all, because of the glory that surpasses it. 11For if what was being brought to an end came with glory, much more will what is permanent have glory

*****

The ministry of death is Old covenant written in stone.

Jesus didn't just replace the Levitical priesthood, he replaced the old covenant with the New covenant.

Do you know of any other laws carved in stone and given to Moses?
 
observe Saturday sabbath is also old Covenant isn't it?

Yes so is circumcision, but Paul still had Timothy circumcised. (Acts 16v3)

Its not a sin to observe Old covenant practices as long as you realize it's not required for salvation.
 
Yes, you preach Jesus abolished a lot of things. I don’t believe the Words of the Word which be lame Flesh support your preaching. We will just have to disagree
 
Some things only God can change and I leave it all in His hands.

So no insight into the tablets of stone that are referred to as having the Law of sin and death written on them?
 
Some things only God can change and I leave it all in His hands.

So no insight into the tablets of stone that are referred to as having the Law of sin and death written on them?

I have answered your questions, posted what the scriptures say to me and been as open and honest as I can. You haven't agreed or even responded to most of them. I'm sure my thought on this subject will be treated with the same indifference as you have shown for all my other posts.

We just disagree on what the Bible says. I'm OK with that.
 
2 Co 3

7Now if the ministry of death, carved in letters on stone, came with such glory that the Israelites could not gaze at Moses’ face because of its glory, which was being brought to an end, 8will not the ministry of the Spirit have even more glory? 9For if there was glory in the ministry of condemnation, the ministry of righteousness must far exceed it in glory. 10Indeed, in this case, what once had glory has come to have no glory at all, because of the glory that surpasses it. 11For if what was being brought to an end came with glory, much more will what is permanent have glory

*****

The ministry of death is Old covenant written in stone.

Jesus didn't just replace the Levitical priesthood, he replaced the old covenant with the New covenant.

Do you know of any other laws carved in stone and given to Moses?

Your understand of this verse does not erase all the evidence I posted as to what Jesus said the New Covenant is. I am still going with His word's as opposed to mainstream teaching, or your religious traditions. I mean no offence. But you just keep posting scriptures it seems in the hope that one might actually find one that makes void the Word's of the Word which became flesh. I just don't believe you will find one scripture which beats up on all the other scriptures.

It's OK, we just disagree.
 
It's more that your resonse doesn't truly answer the question.

You disagree that the tablet of stone refers to the Laws given on Mount Sinai, the question is what do you believe they refer to instead.

If you would rather ignore the question that is your choice. Maybe someone else will answer,

It's an open forum.

I am not pitting scriptures against one another. Just trying to figure out how you make them all fit together in your biblical framework of you don't believe that Jesus did as He said he would and replace the Old covenant with the New covenant laws.
 
"What Jesus says the New covenant is"?

What have you posted?

That Jesus replaced the Levitical priesthood? Yes I agree.

However you don't seem to see that Jesus did more than become High Priest to the old covenant laws. He replaced the Laws .,.he moved pass the letter to the Spirit and purpose of each law.
 
The question is WHAT IS THE NEW COVENANT?

What laws must believer in Christ keep?

Don't say all of them because it's a lie, we aren't required to do animal sacrifices or have all males circumcised for example.

Anyway you don't have to continue ..,it's an open forum.

I want to know what people think the Laws for the New covenant are?

I have stated that only the laws Jesus taught on the sermon on the mount apply to believers..,not the ones given on Mount Sinai.
 
The question is WHAT IS THE NEW COVENANT?

What laws must believer in Christ keep?

Don't say all of them because it's a lie, we aren't required to do animal sacrifices or have all males circumcised for example.

Anyway you don't have to continue ..,it's an open forum.

I want to know what people think the Laws for the New covenant are?

I have stated that only the laws Jesus taught on the sermon on the mount apply to believers..,not the ones given on Mount Sinai.

Personally I don’t care what religious people think the New Covenant is. Jesus warned me over and over about religious people. It was religious people who killed Abel and the Prophets and Jesus and Stephen. God’s Word isn’t something we vote on or take a poll. I care what the Word which became Flesh teaches the New Covenant is. I have posted what Jeremiah and Hebrew says the New Covenant is. If you want to add to that, you are free to do so. Animal sacrifice was a law given to the Levites. It was never a command for the people. Even if the Priesthood hadn’t been changed you and I wouldn’t be killing animals for remission of sins. I’m sorry, but Biblically speaking, that is true. And Matt 5 is not Jesus creating new laws which are different than His Fathers Commandments, I also addressed that but you didn’t acknowledge it either.

You are free to preach anything you like. I think a persons preaching should align with the Words of the Christ. But that is just me.
 
Personally I don’t care what religious people think the New Covenant is. Jesus warned me over and over about religious people. It was religious people who killed Abel and the Prophets and Jesus and Stephen. God’s Word isn’t something we vote on or take a poll. I care what the Word which became Flesh teaches the New Covenant is. I have posted what Jeremiah and Hebrew says the New Covenant is. If you want to add to that, you are free to do so. Animal sacrifice was a law given to the Levites. It was never a command for the people. Even if the Priesthood hadn’t been changed you and I wouldn’t be killing animals for remission of sins. I’m sorry, but Biblically speaking, that is true. And Matt 5 is not Jesus creating new laws which are different than His Fathers Commandments, I also addressed that but you didn’t acknowledge it either.

You are free to preach anything you like. I think a persons preaching should align with the Words of the Christ. But that is just me.
A dodge if ever there was...
 
Yes so is circumcision, but Paul still had Timothy circumcised. (Acts 16v3)

Its not a sin to observe Old covenant practices as long as you realize it's not required for salvation.

Is Timothy circumcised after convert? What is the reason?. I wonder what is the reason for people in the New Covenant observe Saturday sabbath?
 
A dodge if ever there was...

Added to the fact that an online conversation isn't preaching.

However what can you expect from someone who reaorts to name calling.

Do you know what is so wrong with being a "religious person"?

We are told true religion is visiting orphans and widows and such.
 
Is Timothy circumcised after convert? What is the reason?. I wonder what is the reason for people in the New Covenant observe Saturday sabbath?

My real life friends who do so observe the weekly Sabbath for cultural reasons and as memory and memorial. The Rabbi at the Messianic Jewish congregation I spoke agreed we should worship God every day. However they choose to gather on Saturday and communally worship at that time. Many are of Jewish descent and it's the custom they grew up with exceot they accept that Jesus is the Messiah.

There is beauty and comfort to rituals for some people.

It only becomes a problem when people worship the rituals instead of God, when people condemn instead of love.