new member...CS Lewis...be gentle.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

donnadan

Dec 1, 2017
I stumbled on this site while following links on CS Lewis and purgatory. The first thing I noticed is some irrational aversion to Lewis based on claims that he is a heretic and false Christian. This seems to me to be the antithesis of Christianity's message that God's love is all encompassing for those who choose to accept it.

Lewis's Mere Christianity is probably one of the single most enduring examples of proselytizing by a layman in modern history. The many lost sheep his writing continues to bring to and back to our common faith are legion. [SUB][/SUB]

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Hello donnadan, welcome to CC! I hope you enjoy your time with us :)

donnadan

Dec 1, 2017
Thank you! C.S. Lewis — ‘I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.’

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Welcome to CC. Bible topics belong in the bible forum, not the introductions forum. :)

danja

Nov 28, 2014
welcome :) God bless you

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I stumbled on this site while following links on CS Lewis and purgatory. The first thing I noticed is some irrational aversion to Lewis based on claims that he is a heretic and false Christian. This seems to me to be the antithesis of Christianity's message that God's love is all encompassing for those who choose to accept it.

Lewis's Mere Christianity is probably one of the single most enduring examples of proselytizing by a layman in modern history. The many lost sheep his writing continues to bring to and back to our common faith are legion.

1. Welcome to CC

2. You're more than welcome to post whatever views and opinions you have.

3. I like C.S. Lewis just fine.

4. I am however going to point out an issue with your post.

Note:

Since you jumped in here, out of the blue, acting like you're in a debate,
I'll assume that pointing out problems with your post, in debate-like fashion, should be fine with you.

You draw a very strange conclusion after first comparing two things which are entirely different subjects.

A. SOME people here claim C.S. Lewis is a heretic
B. Christ has a message that God's love is all encompassing for those who choose to accept it.
C. Therefore, those who don't agree with C.S. Lewis are necessarily proposing something "antithetical" to this message of Christ.

* Many leaps in logic here.

* Much conflation of unrelated things.

Let's break this down.

A. There is nothing unbliblical, or illogical, in a debate forum, with people analyzing, and discussing, WHOEVER and WHATEVER they feel may represent heresy.

If they do this, they will need to provide evidence, and that evidence can be debated and refuted.

There is nothing "irrational" about this process, and nothing wrong with it morally.

God says in the bible to "prove" or "test" all things.
This is perfectly reasonable.

I like C.S. Lewis, but there's no reason C.S. Lewis should get an automatic "pass" above all others...
the scripture about proving and testing applies to everything and everyone.

If C.S. Lewis was a good Christian philosopher, then his views should hold up to some scrutiny.

B. If someone feels C.S. Lewis is genuinely a heretic, then it would actually be their CHRISTIAN DUTY to say something about it, and this would COINCIDE PERFECTLY with Christ's message.

1. We have a duty to speak the TRUTH; so if you feel something or someone is FALSE, and may be hurting others, it is actually your DUTY to say something.

2. Christ talked as much about God's wrath as God's love, and he even stated that some who claimed to be God's children were actually NOT - he discussed false believers who weren't real, and even wolves dressed as sheep.
Therefore, pointing out a heretic does NOT go against the message of Christ, but rather coincides with it.

C. We can conclude from points "A" and "B" that there is NOTHING wrong with debating and discussing "potential heretics", and it does NOT go against Christ's message to do so.

D. If you don't like what people are saying, you need to debate them -
you should NOT accuse them of immorality for merely engaging in a debate on heresy.

1. If you don't feel C.S. Lewis was a heretic, then you are welcome to defend him, and debate the issue.

2. But making accusations against those who engage in debate about heresy, as if the process of debate on heresy is "antithetical" to christ's message... this is neither logical nor biblical.

Christ did talk about false believers, and he did talk about fake teachers who hurt the flock...
so discussing "potential heretics" goes PERFECTLY with Christ's messages.

If you feel someone is wrongly accused, then you should defend them, and debate the issue.

I like C.S. Lewis just fine,
but how does it harm anyone for the brethren to debate his views?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2015
To further comment on Max's point (one of them, anyway), there are some people here who seem to thrive on labeling every third thing or person mentioned, a heretic. If you aren't able to simply accept that as somewhere near normal for life on this forum, it is going to be a rough row to hoe for you.

Other than just that observation, Welcome to CC.

J

joefizz

Welcome here you can discuss with bible smart people and possibly make new friends,hope you like it here!

S

Sweetmorningdew78

Hi! Good morning :) Welcome to CC :)

God bless you ❤

donnadan

Dec 1, 2017
This is the post that lead me to remark on the irrational nature of the comment that Lewis is a heretic and false Christian: "The author C.S LEWIS was not nor ever was a christian, yet wolves in the pulpits and false psuedo christians love to quote him ( not the bible ) Quotes from heretic anti christ C.S LEWIS -
A - "Humans are amphibians,half spirit and half animal - C.S LEWIS
B - "I have the deepest respect for pagan myths, still more for myths in the Holy Scriptures" (PP pg 71 C.S LEWIS)
This is the attitude of a devil and a non believer, now its true that some believers may be naive or deceived, however the third option is that they themselves are lost pagans posing as believers just as C.S LEWIS did.
- Not only was C.S LEWIS a fraud and a wolf, so is every other beguiler who promotes him or any other deceiver associated with him. Any "pastor" who attempts to use C.S LEWIS quotes, books or movies to show spiritual truth is a wolf (dog packer)
- Many false psuedo christians like to quote anti christ C.S LEWIS, yet seldom ever quote the Bible, they expose themselves as clearly not serving the Lord Jesus Christ who says -" He that is of God heareth Gods words,ye therefore hear them not because ye are not of God" John 8 verse 47
- Concerning C.S LEWIS and the gullible dupes who quote and follow his " earthly,sensual,devilish" wisdom, Micheal Cruz notes ( JAMES 3 verse 15) - "C.S. LEWIS was a pretender. He pretended to be a believer. If people studied their bibles they would not believe the garbage these men put up."

The obtuseness of the out of context attack on Lewis lead me to the impression of an irrational, if not sick, interpretation of what Christians should consider as fundamental dogma. This, seems to me, to be a particularly vile example of the mote and beam parable expounded my Christ. I am, of coarse, no theologian and neither was Lewis, but his own words suggest he deserves far more charity than this person's comments allow: “Guesses, of course, only guesses. If they are not true, something better will be.” Since heresy and blasphemy have in times past lead to the torture and execution of those accused, I do not think that I am stretching the point when I say it is inconsistent with the all inclusive love of God for his creation, however imperfect man may be.

donnadan

Dec 1, 2017
To further comment on Max's point (one of them, anyway), there are some people here who seem to thrive on labeling every third thing or person mentioned, a heretic. If you aren't able to simply accept that as somewhere near normal for life on this forum, it is going to be a rough row to hoe for you.

Other than just that observation, Welcome to CC.

I understand, thank you.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I am sure that there are some biblical points to discuss in the Bible Discussion Forum. Glad to have you join us. Welcome to CC.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
[h=2]Re: new member...CS Lewis...be gentle.[/h]

I stumbled on this site while following links on CS Lewis and purgatory. The first thing I noticed is some irrational aversion to Lewis based on claims that he is a heretic and false Christian.
You start a thread asking for people to be Gentle and within two sentances you have been far less then gentle with others by declaring them irrational...

What ever happened to the Christian teaching to treat others in the way you would like to be treated ?

Feb 7, 2015
[h=2]Re: new member...CS Lewis...be gentle.[/h]

You start a thread asking for people to be Gentle and within two sentances you have been far less then gentle with others by declaring them irrational...

What ever happened to the Christian teaching to treat others in the way you would like to be treated ?
I think he was only reacting and responding to the less-than-kind image we often project on here.