Some believers (?) are ignoring the Old Testament and encouraging others to do likewise. I encourage everyone to reject this foolishness.
When the first believers only had what we call the Old Testament. I've not thought about this until recently, but I believe the division is artificial. Jesus confirmed the OT as scripture many times. One example is when He was tempted in the wilderness. He replied to Satan, "It is written......."
It is also a fact that there are quotes in the NT from most of the books of the OT. This affirms that the OT is as much scripture as the NT.
Of course, not all of the OT is applicable to believers. I do not suggest that you should burn your house down if you contract a communicable disease. Neither should we be stoning people for adultery. However, there is a vast amount of wisdom and insight to be known through the OT. Rejecting it is to our own detriment.
I do encourage new believers to study the NT initially. It's probably just me, but I had a study bible early in my walk with Christ. I'd find a verse that intrigued me and see a cross reference to an OT verse. I would look at that and see another cross reference. I was like an explorer without a destination. It does not suit everyone. However, we need to know all of the Bible.
Some fear the Old Testament. The sceptics mock, especially the first 11 chapters of Genesis. There have always been mockers. Many doubted the account of Joshua and the battle of Jericho. They were silenced when the ruins of that ancient city was rediscovered. There are many more discoveries that confirm the veracity of the OT.
We need to study all of God's word with spiritual eyesight, not natural logic and reason. And we need to know the whole counsel of God, not pick a scripture and make a doctrine out of it,
For example, many are horrified that God would command Israel to kill every member of a particular tribe. However, God had good reasons. There were tribes that practiced human sacrifice, killing their own children. By sentencing that whole tribe to death, God intended that the evil practice would be ended and Israel would not be enticed into the same practice.
The tribe of Dan failed to deal with the evil tribe that occupied the land given to them. Israel suffered much as a result.
God is not arbitrary or unjust. All that He does is for a righteous purpose. We should never judge God according to our own way of thinking. Instead, we should seek to have our minds renewed. The Word of God is His way of renewing our minds.
When the first believers only had what we call the Old Testament. I've not thought about this until recently, but I believe the division is artificial. Jesus confirmed the OT as scripture many times. One example is when He was tempted in the wilderness. He replied to Satan, "It is written......."
It is also a fact that there are quotes in the NT from most of the books of the OT. This affirms that the OT is as much scripture as the NT.
Of course, not all of the OT is applicable to believers. I do not suggest that you should burn your house down if you contract a communicable disease. Neither should we be stoning people for adultery. However, there is a vast amount of wisdom and insight to be known through the OT. Rejecting it is to our own detriment.
I do encourage new believers to study the NT initially. It's probably just me, but I had a study bible early in my walk with Christ. I'd find a verse that intrigued me and see a cross reference to an OT verse. I would look at that and see another cross reference. I was like an explorer without a destination. It does not suit everyone. However, we need to know all of the Bible.
Some fear the Old Testament. The sceptics mock, especially the first 11 chapters of Genesis. There have always been mockers. Many doubted the account of Joshua and the battle of Jericho. They were silenced when the ruins of that ancient city was rediscovered. There are many more discoveries that confirm the veracity of the OT.
We need to study all of God's word with spiritual eyesight, not natural logic and reason. And we need to know the whole counsel of God, not pick a scripture and make a doctrine out of it,
For example, many are horrified that God would command Israel to kill every member of a particular tribe. However, God had good reasons. There were tribes that practiced human sacrifice, killing their own children. By sentencing that whole tribe to death, God intended that the evil practice would be ended and Israel would not be enticed into the same practice.
The tribe of Dan failed to deal with the evil tribe that occupied the land given to them. Israel suffered much as a result.
God is not arbitrary or unjust. All that He does is for a righteous purpose. We should never judge God according to our own way of thinking. Instead, we should seek to have our minds renewed. The Word of God is His way of renewing our minds.