Newbie. Question about salvation/born again

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
to the op. Please do not listen to this stuff. It is not of God and it is not of the bible

The NT over and over says we are born again and receive life eternal by our faith in him.

This is a fatalistic view of salvation. which to be honest I do not think needs to be brought into this thread. and I ask the poster of this comment to please stop. this is not the time or the place for a calvinist debate!
This being a bible discussion forum, how about giving me some scriptures to back up your statement.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
the OP asked a serious question about salvation. and here we have two people who want to argue fatalism.

Please. if you want to argue this stuff there are many threads about it, Lets not confuse the op by trying to argue this here. don't you people know how to use some common courtesy.. Don't argue with people in front of a person seeking God
So, what you are saying is for the OP to listen to your false doctrine in telling him how he can cause himself to get saved, if he follows your instructions of what he is supposed to do to earn his eternal salvation. Sorry, I cannot just stand by and let you mislead him and cause him to be more confused. Your explanation of how to get eternal salvation belittles God's power by saying he cannot save you unless you accept him. That kind of mentality makes you accountable for saving yourself, instead of being saved by his sovereign grace.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
"Then he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.” Acts 16:30
Saved, according to Greek, means "delivered". We are delivered (saved) eternally by God's sovereign grace, without any action on man's part. (Eph 2) We are delivered as we sojourn here in this world by believing in the Lord Jesus after we have already been eternally delivered by God's grace. (Acts 6:30).

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
“And they answered, Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ [give yourself up to Him, take yourself out of your own keeping and entrust yourself into His keeping] and you will be saved, [and this applies both to] you and your household as well.” Acts 16:31 (AMP)
You are correct in saying we can be delivered by denying ourselves, but this is not an eternal deliverance, but a deliverance that we receive as we sojourn here in this world. After we have been born again, we cannot fully understand the doctrine of Jesus until we deny (depending on our own entelect) ourselves. The Holy Spirit within us will not reveal the true meaning of the scriptures until we have denied ourselves. That is why those born again children of God are believing that their works of obedience is what delivers them eternally. After we are born again, our good works does deliver (save) us while we sojourn here in this world. The scriptures will not harmonize until we are able, by the revelation of the Holy Spirit, to understand the difference in "the eternal deliverance" and "the timely deliverance". Most of the salvation scriptures have reference to the timely deliverance.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
You too Sis

My father passed away, And thanks to Covid 19 he died alone and we were not allowed to have funeral.. Please pray for all these people who will die alone due to this disease. and families who can not have a funeral..
I am so sorry to hear that your Father passed away, and pray for your safe keeping. This is a very aggressive and bad virus, and our nation needs our prayers.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

Romans 10:9 :)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
You too Sis

My father passed away, And thanks to Covid 19 he died alone and we were not allowed to have funeral.. Please pray for all these people who will die alone due to this disease. and families who can not have a funeral..

I am so sorry to hear that, EG. May God bless you and your family, and keep you all safe.

G

G2RBeliever

You too Sis

My condolences on the loss of your parent.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
You too Sis

My condolences. A difficult time made worse by outside circumstances.

Only Jesus knows exactly how you feel. He will comfort you as only He is able.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
You too Sis

I am truly sorry that you are grieving over the loss of your father, and ask your forgiveness for being so bold with you in my defense of what I believe to be the doctrine of Jesus Christ. I am 86 years old, and with God's intervention, have escaped death twice in my life. When I was 12 years old my brother hit me in the neck with an upper swing of a chopping hoe which cut my juggler vein clean into. I was 38 miles from a hospital, but with blood infusions, and God's help, I survived. When I was 63 years old, I lost control of my pickup and rolled it down the bank of the red river between Oklahoma and Texas. It seemed to me that it took about 30 minutes for the roll over which totalled my pickup and never even scratched me. The amazing thing was that during the roll over the whole inside of the pickup was light up with the most soothing light, even under the dash, and a feeling of peacefulness that I cannot express. I thank my God for his loving protection.

7seasrekeyed

You too Sis

very sorry to read of this EG

hugs

Apr 15, 2017
Can anybody help? I want to be saved/Born again. I’m Struggling about the process. If there is one?

Please forgive my ignorance, but
I’n the last year I’ve really been thinking about salvation, and becoming saved. I thought about the life I have lead, and it’s been a life of sin. I’ve done things that I’m really ashamed of.

Now I look back at my earlier days and think to myself ... “what was I thinking “? I would never think of doing any of that stuff that I did in the past.

If I was to die tomorrow I don’t think that I would reach the kingdom of heaven. I’ve read so much about being saved or born again, it seams like everyone has a different opinion.

This leads me to my next question. If I become born again, are all my sins washed away, and what are the steps to becoming born again?

I know that I have to repent, but is that all I need to do? Do I need to repent for each sin individually? I have sins that I can’t even remember . Do I need to confess my sins to anyone besides God? Do I need reach out to all the people that I’ve sinned against and ask for forgiveness? I know I’m asking a lot of questions, but I really hope someone can help me.

I really don’t know how to go about this? Should I get baptized again? Do I need to be baptized again to be saved? This would be extremely hard due to churches being closed

I have listened to different theories about becoming born again, and some people say to do it one way, and some say to do it another way

I really want to do this the right way, but I don’t know what is the right way of doing it?

Thank you for reading
Repent of your sins that you are truly sorry for your sins, and do not want to engage in sin anymore, and ask forgiveness for violating God's holiness, and confess Christ as Lord and Savior, and believe in the death of Christ that His blood is the only thing that washes away sins completely, and believe in His resurrection that God raised Him up and will raise all people in Christ up, and ask God to guide you by His Spirit to give you the power to live a life like Christ.

All sin can be forgiven and if you sin turn from it and not want to do it again.

Which we grow in Christ so people that are new might struggle with what they were accustomed to while in the world that they enjoyed, and their behavior that was not right when dealing with people.

But do not be discouraged but keep moving forward and it will get easier to abstain from sin, which we renew our mind daily by the Holy Spirit.

And we also have to forgive ourselves for our sins, and not be hard on our self as if we do not deserve salvation for God said it is a free gift, and people have done worse than you and have been saved, which Paul said he persecuted the Church and wasted it, but he was saved and used mightily by God to reach out to the Gentiles.

And in America there is much to be enjoyed, and we view people as not caring so we may be disappointed in them at times, and might go against them, so at times we might still go by that behavior but like I said we grow in Christ.

The Son learned obedience by the things He suffered, and Paul suffered many things for the Gospel's sake, and all who will live godly will suffer persecution, which that has to do with living for God persecution from the world, but a saint might have problems in their life but as long as they are with God all is alright, and it is not God giving them the problems for some make the mistake and think God does not love them, or is punishing them but it is not true.

Which the testimony that the rich live great lives who do not care about people that much who are arrogant, and self exalting, and God is not punishing them so why would He punish a person that does less than that.

But the Bible does say He chastises the saints, so they become more like Christ.

As far as repenting of every sin that you did you do not have to do that, and you will not remember them all anyway, but you could point out major sins if it stands out a lot while you repent in general for your sins, and when you repent you do not have to repent of it again, unless you do the same sin again and then turn from that sin.

And only repent of your sins to God, although you can tell your faults to another.

As far as asking people for forgiveness you might want to do that only if you have a conflict between you and another person going on at the time, or something that was not settled in the past, which that causes a good relationship between you and the person.

Because if you offended a person in the past but you did not ask for forgiveness but you get along great with that person then obviously that person already forgave you, and knows you are sorry.

Once you receive the Spirit you are born again for your sins are washed away by the blood of Jesus, and you do not want sin anymore.

But a lot of people fall short of receiving the Spirit because they do not want to live like Christ, but as long as you want to be like Christ and mean it then there would be no problem with receiving the Spirit.

freedom49

Apr 2, 2020
Thank you all for helping me with my question about salvation/born again . I’m very happy that I have a place to go for guidance.

One of the reasons I ask my question was that I watched a video about
The host of the video acts as if there is a process in becoming saved. I watched so many of these type of videos that I started to become confused. Wondering which way was right? Every video seemed to have a different view.

I finally reached out to a pastor a while back, and he suggested I get involved with a local fellowship. This was before the virus came along. Since it isn’t possible to do that, I thought I should try to find some type of fellowship online. I found Christian chat.

Again... Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions. I have so many questions right now that I would not know where to start.

I’m very grateful

Feb 20, 2019
Can anybody help? I want to be saved/Born again. I’m Struggling about the process. If there is one?

I’n the last year I’ve really been thinking about salvation, and becoming saved. I thought about the life I have lead, and it’s been a life of sin. I’ve done things that I’m really ashamed of.

Now I look back at my earlier days and think to myself ... “what was I thinking “? I would never think of doing any of that stuff that I did in the past.

If I was to die tomorrow I don’t think that I would reach the kingdom of heaven. I’ve read so much about being saved or born again, it seams like everyone has a different opinion.

This leads me to my next question. If I become born again, are all my sins washed away, and what are the steps to becoming born again?

I know that I have to repent, but is that all I need to do? Do I need to repent for each sin individually? I have sins that I can’t even remember . Do I need to confess my sins to anyone besides God? Do I need reach out to all the people that I’ve sinned against and ask for forgiveness? I know I’m asking a lot of questions, but I really hope someone can help me.

I really don’t know how to go about this? Should I get baptized again? Do I need to be baptized again to be saved? This would be extremely hard due to churches being closed

I have listened to different theories about becoming born again, and some people say to do it one way, and some say to do it another way

I really want to do this the right way, but I don’t know what is the right way of doing it?

Thank you for reading
Hay man the fact that ur remorseful and repentant is a good sign and is the 1st step!! lots of people are too proud 2 admit their sins, God rejects the proud but gives grace 2 the humble!! call out to God in ur private place, u don't have 2 speak out loud u can just utter words in ur mind!! just say God if ur there i'm sorry 4 my sins and I want u 2 change my life, I want to stop sinning!!

say It humbly with all ur heart and he will hear u I promise. he will then start 2 work in ur life ull see, as for baptism u don't need 2 go to a church u can baptize urself in ur bath, I did it, its not about where u do it or who with but weather it is genuine, its between u and God know one else. and baptize urself in jesus name. ask God 2 lead you!!

ohh and read the gospels and except jesus Christ as ur lord and saviour before repenting and baptism.

and watch this video on how 2 be saved, I watched it b4 I became a Christian!!

anymore questions fill free 2 reply

God bless!!

Wall

Mar 13, 2013
Today i tried to find the first writings about the modern interpretation of being "born again". Earliest i found was in 1960's. That cant be. Can it? Anyone know?

Apr 2, 2020
Careful the voices you listen to. The gospel, despite what so many seem to think, is not that Jesus paid the price "for your sins." He paid on account of your sins, but does not absolve you of guilt for your sins(that comes through repentance). Jesus paid the ransom price of the law so that we could live according to God's grace. The gospel was preached before the cross and while the fullness of the mystery is revealed in the cross it is proof of the gospel not the cost of it. You can be secure that He will finish the work He starts in you, but it requires continuing in the faith. It is not a get-out-of-jail-free card, instead it is a cleansing. The justification is not one of a court but coming back into right standing with a King. It is both now and not yet. And if you think otherwise, just look how entirely ungraceful and unloving many of those who proclaim to be walking in faith become if you dare suggest they have to live righteous lives in order to be saved.

NOV25

Nov 23, 2019

Thank you for reading
John 3:5-8 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

Ezekiel 36: 25:28 "Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them."

This is being born again-anothen: from above, born from above.

Repent: a change of mind

2 Tim. 2:24-26 And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, 25 in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, 26 and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

God grants repentance, this change of mind.

It is He who changes the mind, changes the heart, gives the Spirit, makes you a new creation, gives you a new nature.

Matthew 7:7-7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

There is nothing we can do to cause ourselves to be born again. Continue to ask, seek and knock.

Jeremiah 32:40 And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; but I will put my fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me.

The fact that you have a desire to repent of sin and to be born again as well as a fear of separation from the Lord are good indicators. Continue to ask that your nature be changed, not for your comfort or prosperity, but that you may love the Lord with all your heart, no matter the cost.

Find a good reformed church.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Today i tried to find the first writings about the modern interpretation of being "born again". Earliest i found was in 1960's. That cant be. Can it? Anyone know?
Start with John 3:3.

For the cause of Christ
Roger