Nice Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Psalm 23
23:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD [is] my shepherd; I shall not want.
23:2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
23:3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou [art] with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
23:5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Only a very good, kind, and loving God could give a man like David this kind of peace and joy.

Which of these verses is your favorite?

Jan 7, 2020
Psalm 23
23:2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
23:3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou [art] with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
23:5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Only a very good, kind, and loving God could give a man like David this kind of peace and joy.

Thank you for creating this thread, first of all!

Out of the above passages (not that all aren't excellent!), but the very first one listed, Psalm 23:1, is really speaking to me right now. It's a fairly simple statement, but one that holds so much strength, power, and reminder to us, like David, (humans) - to always remember who the shepherd is, and who the sheep are. It's hard to remember that we are not in control, when human nature wants to control! When we understand and remember God is shepherding us in every single area, it helps to be content and find peace in it all ("I shall not want."), and our wanting desires for that control and the outcome of what we think will be produced diminishes. For me, it's something to work on and "die to self" every single day; to just trust Him!

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019

I love God, the countryside and water. Every time I read this verse it touches very deeply into my soul, giving me tranquil peace.

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
Thank you for creating this thread, first of all!

Out of the above passages (not that all aren't excellent!), but the very first one listed, Psalm 23:1, is really speaking to me right now. It's a fairly simple statement, but one that holds so much strength, power, and reminder to us, like David, (humans) - to always remember who the shepherd is, and who the sheep are. It's hard to remember that we are not in control, when human nature wants to control! When we understand and remember God is shepherding us in every single area, it helps to be content and find peace in it all ("I shall not want."), and our wanting desires for that control and the outcome of what we think will be produced diminishes. For me, it's something to work on and "die to self" every single day; to just trust Him!
Hi Sarah,

Acknowledging and trusting the leadership of the Great Shepherd of our Souls is indeed paramount, as is dying to self. Consider this passage from the perspective that “I shall not want” concerns having no lack. The NIV translators state it this way: “The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.” We therefore have green pastures, still waters, protection, comfort, etc.

Do you read multiple translations of the Bible? I find it helpful to do so, since most translations may be classified in two basic categories: (1) word-for-word, and (2) intended meaning. The NIV is a little of both. Check out the link below for more information on the topic of Bible translation.

https://evangelicalbible.com/translations/bible-translation-guide/

G

Godsgirl83

those are all wonderful verses and I have found myself relating or preferring one over the rest at various times of my life, depending on what is going on.
Right now though, verse 4 stands out:
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou [art] with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

specifically the part
I WILL FEAR NO(T) (EVIL) FOR YOU ARE WITH ME........
reminds me of.....
"FEAR NOT"

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
They are all my fav, such beautifully sacred words. It is so hard to pick. I guess that I'll go with...23:5

oyster67

May 24, 2014
They are all my fav, such beautifully sacred words. It is so hard to pick. I guess that I'll go with...23:5
Verse 5 brings Romans 8 to mind;
8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God [be] for us, who [can be] against us?
8:32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
8:33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? [It is] God that justifieth.
8:34 Who [is] he that condemneth? [It is] Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? [shall] tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
8:36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
8:37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
8:38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
8:39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Greater is He that is in us than all that surround us.

Feb 28, 2016
thank you, Oyster,
such a sweet post...

I will go with #4, for I had lived so many, many, years in the valley of the shadow of death' -
but now, my Saviour has taught me how to fear no evil' and how to always abide in His Light'...

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
V21 for me.

Whenever my life seems out of kilter and I struggle I end up praying.
When I feel I'm not worthy because of my failings.
When I pray I always feel God say to me.

"Focus on Jesus"

The Lord is my shepherd.
He restores my soul.
He brings peace amongst my chaos.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Psalm 23

Good thread.
At some point in the future we can do Psalm 103&145.

Dec 12, 2013
thou art with me.......thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Love these truths.....

The rod is used for chastening
The staff used to lead

God is with us....as a child he leads US and WHIPS US when we get out of LINE.....HE does NOT cast us away!

L

Locoponydirtman

I think verse 4, because life on this Earth and the trouble there of, is the valley of the shadow of death, which is only a shadow of death. Because life is in him that walks with God. And even though he doesn't take us out of it but we must pass through; God is with us through it all. After we pass through this valley, life eternal is ours in the presence of our God who walked with is and strengthened us and picked us up as we fell, and delt with us mercifully even in our error and weakness.

Amen.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
When I looked in the folder for my Scripture designs/template/panels, I had 20 files for Psalm 23 :giggle:

Oct 12, 2012
Psalm 23

....yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death 💔 .....thou preparest a table before me in the presents of mine enemies..... 🤕

Powerful thread my brother!!

G

Godsgirl83

cleaning out a drwer tonight and found a card that has verse 2 printed on it.....
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
and ya know what? I had 2 thoughts when I read that......
1) this thread
2) it has been a trying week, but what a beautiful reminder that "He maketh me to lie down in grren pastures" He gives us rest...….and "leads beside still waters" that no matter how trying and difficult life can get, He is still there watching over me whispering "Peace.... be still"

oyster67

May 24, 2014
thou art with me.......thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Love these truths.....

The rod is used for chastening
The staff used to lead

God is with us....as a child he leads US and WHIPS US when we get out of LINE.....HE does NOT cast us away!
I can completely agree with that wording. He gives His children spankings because He is a good, wise, and loving Father. It is good to know that He is not willing that any should perish. When we get to the point where we can finally find comfort in this, life gets much better and more joyful. Keep looking up, my brother!:)

Dec 12, 2013
I can completely agree with that wording. He gives His children spankings because He is a good, wise, and loving Father. It is good to know that He is not willing that any should perish. When we get to the point where we can finally find comfort in this, life gets much better and more joyful. Keep looking up, my brother!:)
I always look up...no other place to go!!!!

Mak33

Nov 12, 2019
23:1 The LORD [is] my shepherd; I shall not want.

I always pray this verses, it get’s me through somehow, it gives me peace and rest to my weary soul.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
23:1 The LORD [is] my shepherd; I shall not want.

I always pray this verses, it get’s me through somehow, it gives me peace and rest to my weary soul.
Amen, sister.

Love your signature.

God bless you.