Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eternally-gratefull

Somebody here mentioned that God tested Abraham's faith by asking him to sacrifice his only son. If that's not by works, I don't know what is.
Abraham was saved before Isaac was born, (see gen 15)

God did not test Abraham so God could know, he did it for abrahams benefit.

I hope you dcan not think God is s weak he can not know whose faith is real or not, he nds t test it!

Dec 12, 2013
Somebody here mentioned that God tested Abraham's faith by asking him to sacrifice his only son. If that's not by works, I don't know what is.
YEAH...like 30 plus years after he was declared righteous and justified BY FAITH........

Dec 28, 2016
Ya'll need to stop using those pesky Biblical facts and submit to the theories of others! How dare you lean on the idol of security in Christ! :p :D

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
And Noah built an Arch with no sails, no rudder and no oars and a free boarding pass. Who saved everyone from perishing in the great flood, Noah's good work or God. Your wonderful works cannot save you or keep you saved, but God Can. God's promises will never fail.

"God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?" Numbers23:19

True Gospel

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Where so many get it wrong is they call good morals good fruit.

Mormons can have excellent morals..... but no good fruit at all.

JW's will have good morals..... same boat.

So when someone comes on CC acting all soft-n-cuddly, that don't mean jack.

When someone bashes another member, & 5 minutes later they're saying nice things, those nice things don't cover up their evil.

Such evil actions ARE evil, the REAL fruit of the individual. An act of niceness don't count.

ANYBODY can act nice.

Satan can impersonate an angel of light..... Does his niceness count?
the fruit of the Holy Spirit is agape love, one may help the needy, but not always out of agape love.

agape love mean help the needy with no expectation of repayment. But help the needy not always mean agape love.

In campaign season in my country, some politician help the orphan house, not out of agape love but to get more vote.

Dec 28, 2016
lol. Anything can be an idol, if it replaces a living relationship.

It is obviously beyond many. I remember going to church out of habit, and then
asking Jesus to teach me something new. When I did ask, He did answer.

It was odd often people who drifted away and then come back had more life.
It was because they expected God to move and did not compromise.

Thank you my friends for spuring me on, I love you all, God bless.
Your idol is YOU!!!

Dec 28, 2016
Thank you for pointing this out.

You want a passive faith, with no real delivery.

The joke is this is biblical Christianity, yet it bursts the bubble of your powerless
religion and you hate this. I am glad I am not on your side of the fence, because
I have read enough of the animosity you speak with. God bless you, because through
the cross and Christ we are saved.
If I was on your side of the fence...hallelujah I am not...I'd quickly scurry across to the other side.

Dec 28, 2016
Now we who hold to the eternal security of the believer have a passive faith? The faith we have is an active faith, a faith that endures, that passes the test of time.

The active faith produces a living hope within us, and this living hope is an anchor to the soul.[Hebrews 6:19] And as the song says "The Anchor Holds", as this Anchor is the Christ.

So, if you want to trust in yourself and your own ability to remain saved, go ahead, no one is stopping you. But ye blokes have been duly warned of what lays ahead of those who trust in their own abilities and not the finished works of the Christ.

We'll rest in the Christ and His finished works because the Anchor holds.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
Now we who hold to the eternal security of the believer have a passive faith? The faith we have is an active faith, a faith that endures, that passes the test of time.

The active faith produces a living hope within us, and this living hope is an anchor to the soul.[Hebrews 6:19] And as the song says "The Anchor Holds", as this Anchor is the Christ.

So, if you want to trust in yourself and your own ability to remain saved, go ahead, no one is stopping you. But ye blokes have been duly warned of what lays ahead of those who trust in their own abilities and not the finished works of the Christ.

We'll rest in the Christ and His finished works because the Anchor holds.

Nice GiFs SovereignGrace, my computer is working just fine. I think if the gifs were causing any problems the Mod's would have sent you a notice by now. Actually your tiny gifs compared to this giant website at CC should not slow down anybodies computer, wouldn't you agree, have fun posting.

Dec 28, 2016
Father, I don't need Your Christ's righteousness, as I have my own. I stand holy and without spot or blemish before You. Then comes that pesky little verse For all of us have become like one who is unclean, And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment;.[Isaiah 64:6a] Oops!!

Also Father, I don't have to have Your Christ's righteousness imputed to me, as I also have my own self-righteousness. Then comes in that other pesky little verse “For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven."[Matthew 5:20] Whoopsy!! Now, where did I put that self-righteousness of mine at? Nope, its not there. Nope, that's not it. Nope, that's not it either. Drat and double drat!

Father, isn't my righteousness and innate faith good enough to please You?

Oh, and the cross of Your Christ was not enough to save me. I had to work day and night, with less than four hours of sleep per night to be saved.

For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. [1 Corinthians 1:18] having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.[Colossians 2:14] and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.[1 Peter 2:24] and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.[Colossians 1:20]

The cross is all we need, the cross is all we have, and He who hung, bled and died on it.

Dec 28, 2016
?
?
?
How many besides me just SCROLL PAST those video clips without reading a word of it?
To be honest I scroll past the posts that have all the underlining, CAPS, bold, and colors. Too annoying to bother with imho!

P

PHart

How dare you lean on...security in Christ! :p :D
I know you are being facetious but isn't leaning on security in Christ having faith in Christ? How did faith in Christ become a work of the damnable works gospel? When did this happen? Who started it? I think Calvinism has gone amok in the church. This doesn't seem to be an isolated thing happening in the church nor bound to any particular denomination. That's what makes me think this is the end times work of demons in the church.

P

PHart

I heard that.........I will worship Jesus and through Jesus even if hell froze over.....he alone deserves the glory.....end of story....
In other words, you will continue in your faith in Christ.
But if I say that I'm accused of trying to earn my own salvation. Why is that?

Dec 12, 2013
In other words, you will continue in your faith in Christ.
But if I say that I'm accused of trying to earn my own salvation. Why is that?
Because you erroneously push that one can walk away and lose it....You by default push salvation based upon what YOU DO....how is it that you cannot see that you constantly push...."I" and what "I do" to remain saved....there is NO doing anything to REMAIN SAVED....it is a ONE OFF event with eternal consequence....your working for dogma is evident because YOU MUST REMAIN to KEEP YOURSELF saved.....and the fact y0u can LOSE or KEEP IT based upon what YOU DO OR DO NOT DO = a works based gospel!

Dec 28, 2016
I know you are being facetious but isn't leaning on security in Christ having faith in Christ? How did faith in Christ become a work of the damnable works gospel? When did this happen? Who started it?
The heresy and twisting of faith into something a person must do continually or lose salvation was when this error commenced. You are propagating this with your misunderstandings of texts of Scripture. You're also making pretense that faith in Christ is being denied by others above - it goes to show how easily you distort what others have said, as well as Scripture.

I think Calvinism has gone amok in the church.
Just a personal attack here with no substantiation. You really ought to learn to not slander others with ridiculous nonsense. Your attack on those who hold to the Doctrines of Grace is unnecessary.

Thankfully, and Biblically, "Calvinism" has stood against the tide of false teachers as yourself who preach loss of salvation and maintenance of salvation by effort.

Paul, Christ, OT Prophets, the Apostles would be the hugest proponents of "Calvinism;" note Exodus 33; Romans 9; 2 Timothy 2:8-10.

It is apparent: 1) God elected prior to the foundation of the world those whom He would save; Ephesians 1 &c, 2) Since God decreed this to be so, that is, to elect and save these people, they will, each of them, experience every facet of salvation, and none will be lost; Romans 8:28ff.

This doesn't seem to be an isolated thing happening in the church nor bound to any particular denomination. That's what makes me think this is the end times work of demons in the church.
Then you end it with calling me (and others) a demon by implication concerning my biblical beliefs. It's OK, it just shows how deceived and intemperate you are, ignorantly attacking truth.

Dec 12, 2013
Abraham was saved before Isaac was born, (see gen 15)

God did not test Abraham so God could know, he did it for abrahams benefit.

I hope you dcan not think God is s weak he can not know whose faith is real or not, he nds t test it!
Amazing how many equate Abraham being justified and saved by faith to either his circumcision and or the offering of Isaac.....it is clear that Abraham believed GOD and it was put to his account for righteousness....what exactly did Abraham believe that justified him......? The promise of God to make of him a great nation when he was called out of UR.........LONG before his circumcision and the offering of Isaac......

P

PHart

Galatians 5

5 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.

3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
is this talking specifically about this subject?
It is. Notice in vs. 4. Christ becomes of no effect in justification if you go back to reliance on the works of the law for justification. And you've probably noticed we Christians are quick to remind other believers who seem to rely on the law for justification of that fact.

Paul contended heartily for the hearts and minds of the early church that were being drawn back into justification by the law by the Judizers. But for some reason the church has now decided that it is impossible to stop believing and go backward. That was not the case with the Galatians. The Galatians were in fact very saved, and very much full of the Holy Spirit (read chapter 3), yet Paul warned them that to return to the law for justification would make Christ of no effect toward justification if they did that. And yet he then explains to them how faith in Christ upholds the law (and, by the way, is not a license to continue in sin, as many today think it is):

6For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but faith working through love.13For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, “YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.” (Galatians 5:6,13-14 NASB)

See, the problem with thinking you'll always believe and be saved is it deceives the person who, for example, is sitting there munching on their popcorn while they willingly watch 'Game of Thrones'. They get lured into a false sense of security by being told that they can not shrink into unbelief and be lost, not realizing that unbelief can creep up on a person in the form of one giving up the struggle with the flesh. Esau is an illustration of that. When it came time to inherit his Father's blessing...well, you know the rest of the story. But anyway, we are exhorted to not let the deceitfulness of sin harden our hearts because we are partakers of Christ IF we keep believing:

"13But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called “Today,” so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. 14For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end" (Hebrews 3:13-14 NASB)

Last edited:

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
He built an arch? :confused:

And Noah built an Arch with no sails, no rudder and no oars and a free boarding pass. Who saved everyone from perishing in the great flood, Noah's good work or God. Your wonderful works cannot save you or keep you saved, but God Can. God's promises will never fail.

"God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?" Numbers23:19

True Gospel