Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015
Even if we do poop, I am sure it will smell like roses....lol.

Ahh Bill I was told that you tell that you have reached a certain level of comfort in the conversation when it's alright to talk about bowel movements.

Well don't worry guys, if so, I'll clean the bathrooms. It seems to be my job here, so I know I could handle it there if necessary.

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015
I love to read the words of Charles H. Spurgeon. God filled his heart with the majesty and Kingly honor of our Savior Jesus Christ. His words still ring true thought the centuries, "The holiness and tenderness of God."
I love to contemplate the wonderful life of our risen Savior, He is my everything, my all and all. Praise God!

I hope you will enjoy this short read as well,
God bless!

“Never did God have such honour and glory as He obtained through the sufferings of Jesus. Oh, they thought to scorn Him, but they lifted His Name on high! They thought that God was dishonoured when He was most glorified.

They did but break the alabaster box, and all the blessed drops of infinite mercy streamed forth to perfume all worlds. They did but rend the veil, and then the glory which had been hidden between the cherubim shone forth upon all lands.

O nature, adoring God with thine ancient and priestly mountains, extolling Him with thy trees, which clap their hands, and worshipping with thy seas, which in their fulness roar out Jehovah’s praise; with all thy tempests and flames of fire, thy dragons and thy deeps, thy snow and thy hail, thou cannot not glorify God as Jesus glorified Him when He became obedient unto death.

O heaven, with all thy jubilant angels, thine ever chanting cherubim and seraphim, thy thrice holy hymns, thy streets of gold and endless harmonies, thou cannot not reveal the Deity as Jesus Christ revealed it on the cross. O heart of God, I see Thee nowhere as at Golgotha, where the Word incarnate reveals the justice and the love, the holiness and the tenderness of God in one blaze of glory.

If you would receive the noblest conception that ever filled the human mind of the lovingkindness and the greatness and the pity, and yet the justice and the severity and the wrath of God, you need not lift up your eyes, nor cast them down, nor look to paradise, nor gaze on hell, you have but to look into the heart of Christ all crushed and broken and bruised, and you have seen it all.

Oh, the joy that springs from the fact that God has triumphed after all! Death is not the victor. Evil is not master. There are not two rival kingdoms, one governed by the God of good, and the other by the God of evil.
No, evil is bound, chained, and led captive. Its sinews are cut, its head is broken. Its king is bound to the dread chariot of Jehovah-Jesus, and as the white horses of triumph drag the Conqueror up the everlasting hills in splendour of glory, the monster of the pit cringe at His chariot wheels.

Therefore, beloved, we close this discourse with this sentence of humble yet joyful worship: ‘Glory be unto the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost: as it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.'”

–Charles H. Spurgeon,
Everytime someone posts a quote of that man, I am covered in goosebumps and weeping...

benhur

Feb 8, 2018
One who has GOD's LOVE poured into His Heart, WILL LOVE those kind of good works. I remember when I was in the Prison Ministry, I was excited to be about the LORD's work. My wife said one time as I got home from the Prison, "I love to see you coming through the door, because you are almost as if you are walking six inches off the floor."
Thank you for that information. One of the good works that Christ mentioned in the parable of the sheep and the goats was that the sheep took care of the prisoner. So again, thank you for your service in Christ.

benhur

Feb 8, 2018
Hi Vco, yes God's love is our motivator.

The problem with benhurs fictional story is no Christian will ever have the mind set that ministry or works is a burden, it just will not happen. He loves to invent fictional stories which will never ever happen. And then tell you that if you have these thoughts then "maybe" this fictional character was never really saved to start with.

Its all fiction and all what if, what if, what if, and it drives me crazy, complete nonsense.
Good works is still the sign of being saved. Just take a note of all those in your Christian circle that follow the model of Jesus Christ and the good works that he did day after day after day, and tell me you know someone that even remotely approaches that standard?
Remember your motto: The faithful are saved unto good works, created by Christ to do.

How many in your circle are doing good works regularly?

benhur

Feb 8, 2018
The only time it may be a burden is if someone feels they " must " do it to keep themselves secure .
Then it becomes a question of how much do I have to keep doing ?
And a never ending focus on ourselves , and always wondering if You have done enough
sounds like the false gospel of works salvation to me !!!
And so the endless false gospel of works salvation is taught against in all the churches, and the end result of preaching agains good works, is that good works is not thought of as a necessary element in the true gospel, and therefore good works are even looked down as a satanic work to adjust your focus off the cross and Jesus. So very little inspiring good works are being accomplished in the churches these days and that is one of the reasons we are seeing a decline in membership and attendance.

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
Good works is still the sign of being saved. Just take a note of all those in your Christian circle that follow the model of Jesus Christ and the good works that he did day after day after day, and tell me you know someone that even remotely approaches that standard?
Remember your motto: The faithful are saved unto good works, created by Christ to do.

How many in your circle are doing good works regularly?
Good works is not a foolproof indicator that someone is saved. There are many atheists who are great humanitarians and philanthropists, but they do not believe in God.

Likewise, lacking good works does not mean a person is not saved. 1 Cor 3:11-15 shows that even if a Christian's works are all burned up (IOW: he has no good works), he will still be saved. We aren't saved by works, but by faith in Christ (Eph 2:8-9). The fact that we were saved to do good works does not mean all Christians will do them.

benhur

Feb 8, 2018
i wonder what people who think they are saved any way apart from by grace through faith think of this

John 3:15-17
15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

so far what ive seen
is they play word games with words like belief

then they add the works of the individual to the GIFT of God

Ephesians 2:8
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

they also ignore the fact He will not lose even one of His

john 6
37 ALL that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in NO wise cast out.

38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose NOTHING, but should raise it up again at the last day.

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that EVERY ONE which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

they seem to believe God will toss His own into the lake of fire and ignore His own promises

they seem to place salvation on their own shoulders

it really is a shame to see so many with a false understanding of the gospel

as well as a false understanding of WHO God is.....

He is a loving Father .... believe it or not
We think that is part of the salvation equation. I could quote you many many scriptures of Jesus telling us what we also need to be saved. Scriptures that you ignore.

N

NoNameMcgee

We think that is part of the salvation equation. I could quote you many many scriptures of Jesus telling us what we also need to be saved. Scriptures that you ignore.
i ignore no scriptures

and have explained many of them to you....

you just keep choosing to believe doctrine of men

or maybe you are incapable of seeing the truth

either way

youre in error

E

eternally-gratefull

And so the endless false gospel of works salvation is taught against in all the churches, and the end result of preaching agains good works, is that good works is not thought of as a necessary element in the true gospel, and therefore good works are even looked down as a satanic work to adjust your focus off the cross and Jesus. So very little inspiring good works are being accomplished in the churches these days and that is one of the reasons we are seeing a decline in membership and attendance.
Typical strawman argument from someone who does not understand what is going on.

NO ONE is teaching against good works. Get off your high horse, and stop with the lies Dude, We get sick of them.

and ps. Paul spent most of his NT writting teaching against the false gospel of works. so the churches should follow pauls leads, and endlessely stand against the false gospel of works.

E

eternally-gratefull

may I ask why you think your good works will cause God to ignore all of your death sentances (the penalty of sin is death, so count your sins that you know of since birth, then probably add a million more (the ones we do not know or forgot) and you have an idea how many death sentances you have right now against you) and just go against his own justice and righteounsess and allow you into heaven?

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
"If you don't agree with me, you're believing doctrines of men".

"If you don't agree with me, you are incapable of seeing the truth".

"If you don't agree with me, you are in error".

Sheesh...

For sure, not everyone is right. And for sure, Christians disagree on many things, some big, and some insignificant. But it is sad that we can't disagree without belittling and insulting those who disagree with us.

E

eternally-gratefull

Sheesh...

For sure, not everyone is right. And for sure, Christians disagree on many things, some big, and some insignificant. But it is sad that we can't disagree without belittling and insulting those who disagree with us.
It is even worse when we can't disagree with out lying about what the others say and believe.

N

NoNameMcgee

Sheesh...

i have answered every single post directed at me from him that ive seen

i have never ignored a scripture and done my best to show ben the truth everything he asked of me said i would "ignore scriptures"

this is a lie
and an insult

also
from his posts ive seen him only teach a works based salvation

also many lies that go directly against the gospel of Jesus

you can quote me and act like im the bad guy

but no

i dont care if someone disagrees with me

but i speak up when i see lies

you just imputed the "disagree with me" bit to me

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
Everytime someone posts a quote of that man, I am covered in goosebumps and weeping...
Hi Stunnedbygrace, I sometimes have the same reaction to his preaching, a gifted man of God. Quote: His theology is more or less Calvinist but he thinks of himself as a, "mere Christian." nice to see you back again and on our
"New Modified Formate", God bless!

I hope this biography wasn't to long, "Reading and Christianity seem to go hand in hand."

Charles Spurgeon
Finest nineteenth-century preacher

Quote:
"I am perhaps vulgar, but it is not intentional, save that I must and will make people listen."

When Charles Spurgeon died in January 1892, London went into mourning. Nearly 60,000 people came to pay homage during the three days his body lay in state at the Metropolitan Tabernacle. Some 100,000 lined the streets as a funeral parade two miles long followed his hearse from the Tabernacle to the cemetery. Flags flew at half-staff and shops and pubs were closed.

His formal education was limited, even by nineteenth-century standards: he attended local schools for a few years but never earned a university degree. Though he eschewed formal education, all his life he valued learning and books—especially those by Puritan divines—and his personal library eventually exceeded 12,000 volumes.

At age 15, Spurgeon broke with family tradition by becoming a Baptist. He attributed this conversion to a sermon heard by "chance"—when a snowstorm blew him away from his destination into a Primitive Methodist chapel.

His theology, however, remained more or less Calvinist, though he liked to think of himself as a "mere Christian." "I am never ashamed to avow myself a Calvinist," he once said. "I do not hesitate to take the name of Baptist, but if I am asked what is my creed, I reply, 'It is Jesus Christ.'"

His energy and oratorical skills and harmonious voice earned him such a reputation that within a year and a half, he was invited to preach in London, at the historic New Park Street Chapel. The congregation of 232 was so impressed, it voted for him to preach an additional six months. He moved to the city and never left.

Spurgeon replied, "I am perhaps vulgar, but it is not intentional, save that I must and will make people listen. My firm conviction is that we have had enough polite preachers."

On certain subjects, he was incapable of moderation: Rome, ritualism, hypocrisy, and modernism—the last of which became the center of a controversy that would mark his last years in ministry.

Spurgeon's contributions were larger than his pulpit, however. He established alms houses and an orphanage, and his Pastor's College, opened in 1855, continues to this day. He preached his last sermon in June 1891 and died six months later.

N

NoNameMcgee

i have answered every single post directed at me from him that ive seen

i have never ignored a scripture and done my best to show ben the truth everything he asked of me said i would "ignore scriptures"

this is a lie
and an insult

also
from his posts ive seen him only teach a works based salvation

also many lies that go directly against the gospel of Jesus

you can quote me and act like im the bad guy

but no

i dont care if someone disagrees with me

but i speak up when i see lies

you just imputed the "disagree with me" bit to me
he said*

benhur

Feb 8, 2018
Good works is not a foolproof indicator that someone is saved. There are many atheists who are great humanitarians and philanthropists, but they do not believe in God.

Likewise, lacking good works does not mean a person is not saved. 1 Cor 3:11-15 shows that even if a Christian's works are all burned up (IOW: he has no good works), he will still be saved. We aren't saved by works, but by faith in Christ (Eph 2:8-9). The fact that we were saved to do good works does not mean all Christians will do them.
We are not saved by works, but your faith in Christ leads to unto good works that Jesus creates for you to do. So to be about our Fathers business is to be about good works with a joy that we are in Christ.

Of course it does not matter to an atheist if they do good works.

Now I have reason to call you a Doubting Thomas.

I think he means GLORIFIED FLESH. It will be LIKE OURS, only it will be ETERNALLY ALIVE.

Luke 24:38-43 (HCSB)
38 “Why are you troubled?” He asked them. “And why do doubts arise in your hearts?
39 Look at My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself! Touch Me and see, because a ghost does not have flesh and bones as you can see I have.”
40 Having said this, He showed them His hands and feet.
41 But while they still were amazed and unbelieving because of ⌊their⌋ joy, He asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?”
42 So they gave Him a piece of a broiled fish,
43 and He took it and ate in their presence.
I do not doubt the resurrection of the body, and I believe it will be glorified flesh with the abiity to eat and digest earth food, just like the scripture tells us.

ljs

Jan 13, 2018

I have never been to a church building that preaches against Good works or looks down on good works for a believer , thats just silly !
And also Ive seen many churches who do tons of Good works and accomplish alot of great things helping those in need

I have been to plenty who ADD good works to the Gospel , which is probably more of the reason why they decline in attendance

N

NoNameMcgee

I have never been to a church building that preaches against Good works or looks down on good works for a believer , thats just silly !
And also Ive seen many churches who do tons of Good works and accomplish alot of great things helping those in need

I have been to plenty who ADD good works to the Gospel , which is probably more of the reason why they decline in attendance
amen

benhur

Feb 8, 2018
Works have not a thing to do in what you call a, salvation process.

Doing good works is an example of our being saved, reborn in Christ, a new creation, having the old dead sinner self put away and the new spiritually reborn creation through God's grace risen in this flesh. To act as the spirit of God leads us to act in his name, according to his plan, his will, and for his glory. Works do not save.
Never have.

That which hopes to teach falsely and therein mar the work of Christ on the cross should always be rebuked! Never tolerated. But educated as to the truth of God in Christ. Because as any Christian who lives know if they pray attention in this world, Satan has his disciples too. The anti-gospel that hopes to lead people to mis-believe! The anti-thesis of righteousness. Damned from the beginning. Damned unto the end. Satan and his minions know their fate. Meanwhile, till then , he and his followers seek to populate their numbers in Hell.

Be not afraid people of Christ! Stand for the truth. The Devil and his minions be damned! Wherever they stalk this world.

Luke 22

Satan's Bible Knowledge https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/satans-bible-knowledge
So you would agree then that not being about your Fathers business, and have no or little good works is an example of not being saved? If your first statement is true, then my second statement has to be true also.