Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Seohce

Jul 15, 2016
typically when someone has no argument they try to gain the moral high ground
EXPLAIN THIS PLEASE;

Matthew 19 : 16-26
16 Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"
17 "Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."
18 "Which ones?" the man inquired.
19 Jesus replied, "'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother,' and 'love your neighbor as yourself.'"
20 "All these I have kept," the young man said. "What do I still lack?"
21 Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.
23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?"
26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

N

NoNameMcgee

EXPLAIN THIS PLEASE;

Matthew 19 : 16-26
16 Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"
17 "Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."
18 "Which ones?" the man inquired.
19 Jesus replied, "'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother,' and 'love your neighbor as yourself.'"
20 "All these I have kept," the young man said. "What do I still lack?"
21 Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.
23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?"
26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
vvvvv

matthew 19

16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

_________

Jesus was telling this man how to be perfect

this man believed his works regarding the commandments were perfect (including loving his neighbor as himself)

Jesus is saying ohhhhh is that so?

then give up all your things and follow me
(to expose where this mans heart really was.... it is not evil to have possessions)

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

again same principal

Luke 10
25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
(again a man looking to be justified by works)
27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
(this man believes he actually does this fully)
28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.
(Jesus says knowing this man is self righteous yaaa thats all you need then if you are correct)
29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?
(as if he truely does this knowing Jesus does not believe him asks ohhh who is my neighbor maybe i am wrong mockingly)

30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.

31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.

32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.

33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,

34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?

37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

that amount of money
as well as offering for excess was .... a lot of money at that time....

this exposes that man who believed he was doing these things is actually wrong......

he does not love his enemy as himself as he ought to in order to be perfect

let alone his literal neighbor....
people try to take and mix up

reproof

instruction for righteousness

the law

and works

and try to say a man needs more than grace and faith to be saved (which isnt true)

E

eternally-gratefull

I know, I also know why The Word became flesh. I find your tone slightly derogatory of my Lord and Saviour. He became man for our sakes and suffered for our sins in our room and stead. Let us have a little more respect, yes.
I think you need to reread what he posted.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
Ok. Have it your way.

"If you want to call obeying the Gospel", foolish nonsense then that will be something you can explain to the Lord Jesus Christ, on that Day.

JPT
I want a public apology please
I never called, obeying the Gospel was foolish nonsenese, this is a complete lie and slander that could damage my good character. Everyone here knows that this is a "complete lie"

N

NoNameMcgee

I want a public apology please
I never called, obeying the Gospel was foolish nonsenese, this is a complete lie and slander that could damage my good character. Everyone here knows that this is a "complete lie"
yeah....

those like jpt who builds their beliefs on their own understanding ignoring many biblical truths

typically try to use that same lie

we say you cannot earn salvation through your own efforts.... it is by grace through faith we are saved

they say
"how dare you justify sin"

or any variation of this ridiculous strawman

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
To this thread;
When someone comes to this thread with lie's and false accusations and wanting to disrupt the discussions that are going on, a warning sign goes up in my mind, "TROLL ALERT"

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
yeah....

those like jpt who builds their beliefs on their own understanding ignoring many biblical truths

typically try to use that same lie

we say you cannot earn salvation through your own efforts.... it is by grace through faith we are saved

they say
"how dare you justify sin"

or any variation of this ridiculous strawman
Amen and thank you NoName. These people are blemishes at your love feast.

The Sin and Doom of Ungodly People

Jude1:12
These people are blemishes at your love feasts, eating with you without the slightest qualm--shepherds who feed only themselves. They are clouds without rain, blown along by the wind; autumn trees, without fruit and uprooted--twice dead.
God bless

PS

Jan 11, 2013
How is his tone derogatory of Jesus? He suffered more than we could ever imagine, and more than WE will ever suffer, definitely.. He was a complete human with the same emotions and temptations as ours, and at the end He became sin personified and that's why God forsook Him on the cross.
It needed balancing with the whole truth, rather than just the sordid. If that was a character reference I wouldn't want to know him. As it is, Jesus is my best friend.

Dec 12, 2013
How is his tone derogatory of Jesus? He suffered more than we could ever imagine, and more than WE will ever suffer, definitely.. He was a complete human with the same emotions and temptations as ours, and at the end He became sin personified and that's why God forsook Him on the cross.
I rarely respond to his drivel....all I did was quote facts and he accused me....he devil likes to accuse the brethern....

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
lol why do you think He chastens His sons?

you think you get chastened when you obey?

or if you arent His son?

cmon now

open your eyes
VERY GOOD POINT, AND THOSE WHO THINK THEY ARE SINLESS, HAVE NO ANSWER.

Deuteronomy 8:5-6 (NKJV)
5 You should know in your heart that as a man chastens his son, so the LORD your God chastens you.
6 Therefore you shall keep the commandments of the LORD your God, to walk in His ways and to fear Him.

Hebrews 12:6-8 (HCSB)
6 for the Lord disciplines the one He loves and punishes every son He receives.
7 Endure ⌊suffering⌋ as discipline: God is dealing with you as sons. For what son is there that a father does not discipline?
8 But if you are without discipline—which all receive—then you are illegitimate children and not sons.

OH MY, I THINK THOSE WHO THINK THEY ARE SINLESS, OVERLOOKED THAT VERSE.

1 Peter 2:13-17 (NKJV)
13 Therefore submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake, whether to the king as supreme,
14 or to governors, as to those who are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and for the praise of those who do good.
15 For this is the will of God, that by doing good you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men--
16 as free, yet not using liberty as a cloak for vice, but as bondservants of God.
17 Honor all people. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king,
{In this country that would be President Donald Trump.}

EVEN IF IT IS FOR BREAKING THE SPEED ORDINANCES.

GOD game me a tool, to help me from accidentally breaking the SPEED ORDINANCES.

It is called SPEED CONTROL.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
How is his tone derogatory of Jesus?

He suffered more than we could ever imagine, and more than WE will ever suffer, definitely.. He was a complete human with the same emotions and temptations as ours, and at the end He became sin personified and that's why God forsook Him on the cross.
And for that, we should praise Him, worship Him, and lift Him higher.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
Cry me a river pal....what I stated was factual nonetheless.......your accusation on the other hand was not factual and or biblical
I'm not seeing any of the Christian attributes, love, peace, charity etc. in your posts. Sorry.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
From "Faith to Faith" God does everything for true believers, from being born and Justified to the sealing of the Holy Spirit and bringing us home safely. It is all of God, "Not By Works." Therefore I can say with confidence that my theological belief's are "Monergistic vs Synergistic"

I believe we have both points of view on this thread, does anyone agree?

Quote:
"Statement of the doctrine. Monergism states that the regeneration of an individual is the work of God through the Holy Spirit alone, as opposed to Synergism, which, in its simplest form, argues that the human will cooperates with God's grace in order to be regenerated."

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Titus 3:5 cleary states "he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy."

and yet "faith without work is dead"

sometimes I wonder ... or Paul would wonder on 1 Cor 1:10-13

I appeal to you, brothers and sisters,[a] in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought. 11 My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas[b]”; still another, “I follow Christ.”

13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul?

Now we can all agree, that to ADD TO THE WORD OF GOD is WRONG.

Proverbs 30:6 (NCV)
6 Do not add to his words, or he will correct you and prove you are a liar.

You added a verse without Quoting that it was from JAMES, and I think you did deliberately to imply that it belonged with Titus 3:5.

Not only is it wrong to do that, but you have the WRONG INTERPRETATION of the Book of JAMES.

James is NOT SAYING that WORKS are a NECESSARY PART SALVATION, JAMES is clearly implying THAT IF YOU WERE SAVED FOR REAL, THE MOMENT SAVING FAITH ENTERED INTO YOUR HEART, GOD'S LOVE THAT WAS POURED INTO YOU HEART AT THAT MOMENT, Rom. 5:5, WILL PRODUCE A DESIRE TO LOVE GOD WITH LOVING OBEDIENCE. That happens, way after we WERE SAVED in the beginning of our Faith, and is the LIVING FAITH, compared to the DEAD FAITH, that produces NO LOVE FOR GOD.

You cannot use that verse AS PART OF SALVATION, as it Happens way AFTER WE ARE SAVED BY GRACE and MERCY because of WHAT JESUS DID ON THE CROSS. IT IS PART OF OUR LOVE, not Part of SALVATION.

If you can agree, then we are in agreement.

Dec 12, 2013
I'm not seeing any of the Christian attributes, love, peace, charity etc. in your posts. Sorry.
You would say the same thing about JESUS, John the Baptist, Elijah and Paul as well when they raked false teachers over the coals.....