Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eternally-gratefull

sin1
sin/Submit
noun
an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.
"a sin in the eyes of God"
synonyms: immoral act, wrong, wrongdoing, act of evil/wickedness, transgression, crime, offense, misdeed, misdemeanor; More
verb
commit a sin.
"I sinned and brought shame down on us"
synonyms: commit a sin, commit an offense, transgress, do wrong, commit a crime, break the law, misbehave, go astray; archaictrespass
"I have sinned"
sin1
sin/Submit
noun
an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.
"a sin in the eyes of God"
synonyms: immoral act, wrong, wrongdoing, act of evil/wickedness, transgression, crime, offense, misdeed, misdemeanor; More
verb
commit a sin.
"I sinned and brought shame down on us"
synonyms: commit a sin, commit an offense, transgress, do wrong, commit a crime, break the law, misbehave, go astray; archaictrespass
"I have sinned"
Sin

Gk hamarte - to miss the mark.

God set the mark, Anything which falls short is sin.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
No one can even see them until they are approved. It really bites to post a new thread and it goes to page 2 before it ever gets approved - so I bumps it.

Usually a thread is approved in just a few minutes, unless no mods or admin are online. And they ARE visible, I've seen many new threads that say something like "pending approval"...

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
Even adults..before being saved have a sinful nature but dont always know GODS STANDARDS of whats wrong n right..they go by societys standards..maybe parents n what theyve been taught as a kid etc but we all know Gods starndards are different..so..my question is..is an unsaved person held accountable by Gods standards of sin? In the unsaved persons ignorance? And if you say YES..whats the purpose of salvation? To condemn the ignorant sinner? Goes back to age of spiritual accountability..

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
Even adults..before being saved have a sinful nature but dont always know GODS STANDARDS of whats wrong n right..they go by societys standards..maybe parents n what theyve been taught as a kid etc but we all know Gods starndards are different..so..my question is..is an unsaved person held accountable by Gods standards of sin? In the unsaved persons ignorance? And if you say YES..whats the purpose of salvation? To condemn the ignorant sinner? Goes back to age of spiritual accountability..
"Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened" (Romans 1:19-21).

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Usually a thread is approved in just a few minutes, unless no mods or admin are online. And they ARE visible, I've seen many new threads that say something like "pending approval"...
Yesterday non was on watch for a couple hours. I think confidence plays a part also which of corse takes time.

E

eternally-gratefull

Your choice, and as I have said, was raised in an imminent return church and defended it dogmatically until I had to study through the bible 2 times a year in seminary....the bible does not support it...the bible does support a post tribulation pre-wrath ingathering at the 7th trump of Revelation.....I know we agree on much bro....however, no one will ever change my mind. I have spent the better part of the last 32 years pouring over this topic and the imminent return is not found in scripture. Does not change my fellowship with you nor my fondness for your stance on many things ;)
Yeah I have heard that from many people. And reject it. Post trib makes no sense biblically or logically (If you rapture every saved person at the end, and kill every unsaved person. (Which the bible says Jesus will do at his return) then you have no one left for Jesus to rule. And his words, whoever endures to the end thus becomes meaningless) is just one of many reasona I believe this.

But as I have also said. It is not salvic. And not worth arguing over, I just want peole to see both sides thats all. Love ya bro.

E

eternally-gratefull

I don't say that the Greek is never helpful. The case of agape and phileo (as well as eros) are a great case in point. My Greek professor (Greek I and II) told us that the Greek is like watching a TV in color while the English is black and white.
The enlish language is one of the worst languages known to makind. God chose greek for a reason to have his word written.

Agape and phileo have two different meanings. Jesus was basically telling peter Even if you can not tell me you agape me, I still want you to feed my people..

The english use of the word love fails to make that impression, it actually fails to make the point jesus was going to make.

He is right though, English is black and white. You may be able to see the words. But you miss all the colors and the deeper meaning of the words.

E

eternally-gratefull

Tell a 3 yr old theyre sinning like my post indicated as an example!
Whats a 3 year old have to do with an adult. A 3 year old is still learning right from wrong, just as a baby christian is.

But sin is still sin. The penalty of sin is death, that does not change because your three years old. Thats why the cross covers all sin. If it did not. We are doomed.

E

eternally-gratefull

THAT was my point..WHEN YOU KNOW youre accountable..not a sin is a sinis a sin...:(
The cross paid for sin, a 3 year old can not repent and understand they need a savior. Thus they can not call on the name of the lord to be saved. If they die and are saved, it is because of gods grace.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
I have a story about that.

I grew up Roman Catholic and the nuns taught us in school that that age was 8.

Well, I was totally bummed out on September 17, 1961 because I knew that that was my very last day of getting away with stuff from God.

But think about that . . . if I knew that at 7 then that 'age of accountability' is earlier than 8 . . . maybe even as early as 4 in a Christian home.

btw, I hope that my responses to you are not being taken as argumentative . . . I'm just commenting. I notice that besides the members that are on the site at any given time - there are also (at this moment) 381 guests. A lot of eyes are reading our threads . . . how many of them have yet to find Christ? So I try to interject wherever I can.
By the way, in case no one noticed . . . TOMORROW is my birfday! And I want lotsa likes for presents! m'kay?

E

eternally-gratefull

Romans 1 answers that question.

They may not know what all sin is, but they know they are sinners, and some of the stuff they have done cause them to be disqualified. Thus they have no excuse.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
The enlish language is one of the worst languages known to makind. God chose greek for a reason to have his word written.

Agape and phileo have two different meanings. Jesus was basically telling peter Even if you can not tell me you agape me, I still want you to feed my people..

The english use of the word love fails to make that impression, it actually fails to make the point jesus was going to make.

He is right though, English is black and white. You may be able to see the words. But you miss all the colors and the deeper meaning of the words.
The English language is a mess. True dat! it's an illegitimate mixture of other languages, slang and colloquialisms and nonsense that always changes and by the time you reach retirement age you'll see that words change meanings more often than America changes presidents. very frustrating.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
The English language is a mess. True dat! it's an illegitimate mixture of other languages, slang and colloquialisms and nonsense that always changes and by the time you reach retirement age you'll see that words change meanings more often than America changes presidents. very frustrating.
Somebody need to write an ebonics Bible! Word!

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
as ye believe, so shall ye be judged was an old memory verse of mine.

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
I have a story about that.

I grew up Roman Catholic and the nuns taught us in school that that age was 8.

Well, I was totally bummed out on September 17, 1961 because I knew that that was my very last day of getting away with stuff from God.

But think about that . . . if I knew that at 7 then that 'age of accountability' is earlier than 8 . . . maybe even as early as 4 in a Christian home.

btw, I hope that my responses to you are not being taken as argumentative . . . I'm just commenting. I notice that besides the members that are on the site at any given time - there are also (at this moment) 381 guests. A lot of eyes are reading our threads . . . how many of them have yet to find Christ? So I try to interject wherever I can.
Lol..no worries..its all good :)