Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
He was with God in the beginning.
Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
In him was life, and that life was the light of men.
The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.
John 1:1-5

Who has really understood Gods message? Who has understood the balances of eternal realities?

God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you
and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels.
He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.
They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power
on the day he comes to be glorified in his holy people and to be marveled at among all those who have believed. This includes you, because you believed our testimony to you.
2 Thessalonians 1:6-10

It is strange that God is just, yet he cannot empower His people according to some, to walk as He
walked with His disciples on earth. Is it so hard to be poor in spirit, able to mourn, meek, righteous, merciful, pure in heart, peacemakers, able to bless when persecuted, to love the loveless, to help the poor and needy, to visit hospitals and prisons, to be a light in dark places where people believe no one loves them or cares.

It seems to be so, even for those who claim to know God, the cross and His sacrifice for them.

But then maybe knowing something is here but not being able to grasp it, is the final straw.
Jesus faced hatred, anger, and the desire to kill Him when He preached, so should we expect the
same. It is a spiritual reality, which will always be stirred up when God starts to work.
Come Lord Jesus, come and bring your good news to those who seek and need you, Amen.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said,
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life"
John 8:11

Some would think this is self righteous, self important, self glorification.
We are to follow Jesus's example and testify to the work He has done in our lives, because it
brings glory to Him and His work, because none of this is our making or due to our worthiness.

But people will lie, slander and turn things to appear otherwise, because to admit God can work
in anothers life, is to raise the question, could it happen to me. So I would like to declare, yes
Jesus can do the impossible in your life as well, that is the message and hope of the cross, while
the enemy will always deny and slander this message, the elect will hear and respond, as they
have generation after generation since the gospel was first preached, Praise the Lord.

U

UnderGrace

It is strange that God is just, yet he cannot empower His people according to some, to walk as He
walked with His disciples on earth. Is it so hard to be poor in spirit, able to mourn, meek, righteous, merciful, pure in heart, peacemakers, able to bless when persecuted, to love the loveless, to help the poor and needy, to visit hospitals and prisons, to be a light in dark places where people believe no one loves them or cares.
Methinks you have no idea of how perfect Jesus was on this earth...... to actually think you can be like Him, or even approximate Him.

Wowo_O

E

eternally-gratefull

I haven't ignored anything.....me and the person I am talking to hasn't got that far in our conversation.....

Are you angry about something? You seem a little hostile
No, i am not angry.

You have not got that far yet? It would seem the word som has much more significants than the word dead would it not?

Whats the difference between a dead son and a dead non son.

Feb 24, 2019
E

eternally-gratefull

Are you saying someone called me out for sin? What sin?

Man who have I lied about?
Are you just looking for someone to argue with

Why do I feel like if I say yes you won't believe me?
No i am talking about someone else, i guess you have not been reading the thread

Certain prople that id all they know how to do, so yeah i guess i am upset at people who love to judge others and go around telling everyone how perfect they are while being hypocrites.

Those peopl make me sick, it should all of us.

The fact you said this, i hope means they did not do that, which is why you most likely had good conversations.

E

eternally-gratefull

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
He was with God in the beginning.
Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
In him was life, and that life was the light of men.
The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.
John 1:1-5

Who has really understood Gods message? Who has understood the balances of eternal realities?
Certainly not you, i think most here realise this, now maybe on day, you will also. At least we can all pray for this to happen. There is always hope

Feb 24, 2019
Whats the difference between a dead son and a dead non son.
would you agree the parable is dealing with someone who is backslid?

i feel like he is painting a picture of a rebellious son who walked away (not wandered away like the sheep)

that was the reason he used the word "dead" and "lost"

i think plainly telling us what the state of the backslider is in the eyes of God the Father

"Adam . . . was the son of God" (Luke 3:38), yet God said, "In the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die" (Gen. 2:17).

when the prodigal's Father said "my son was dead" its the same word, in the Greek used in the following verse's:

Ephesians 2:1 (KJV)
1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

Ephesians 2:5 (KJV)
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

Colossians 2:13 (KJV)
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Ezekiel 18:24 (KJV)
24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

Argueless

Oct 21, 2018
In other words you can not answer

You refuse to answer if you think YOU CAN LOSE SALVATION

And you refuse to show me in my belief where i got it wrong

Funny, this same thing happend last time we met. Seems to be a repeating thing.
Life by the Spirit
So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law. The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I WARN YOU, as I did before, that THOSE WHO LIVE LIKE THIS WILL NOT INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD.

Who is Paul WARNING in these verses? Is it a WARNING only for the unbelievers or both?

But since according to you and others on this thread, ONCE SAVED, YOU ARE ALWAYS SAVED. Does this mean that WARNINGS are not for you to acknowledge and take heed of because you are UNTOUCHABLES and have no chance of being DECEIVED so as to abandon or turn away from the FAITH ALONE that saves as you CLAIM? Have you become kings already and are reigning with Christ without the HOLY and PROMISED people of God who died and still waiting to be PERFECTED with the BODY OF CHRIST on the day when our Savior from heaven comes back?

...These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that ONLY TOGETHER WITH US WOULD THEY BE MADE PERFECT. Hebrews 11:39-40, (Revelations 6:9-11)

Why would anyone need to be sanctified, purified, perfected, resurrected, glorified, stand firm to the end, face judgment, if all we need is to believe or have FAITH ALONE to be saved?

...Finally, brothers, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more. For you know what instructions we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus. It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable, not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God; and that in this matter no one should wrong his brother or take advantage of him. The Lord will punish men for all such sins, as we have already told you and warned you. For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. Therefore, he who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit.
1 Thessalonians 4:1-8

What can a DISOBEDIENT OSAS follower expect if he refuse to acknowledge, take heed of such WARNINGS?

...But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.” Revelation 21:8

...See to it that you do not refuse him who speaks. If they did not escape when they refused him who warned them on earth, how much less will we, if we turn away from him who warns us from heaven? Hebrews 12:25

... Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. Therefore do not be partners with them. Ephesians 5:6-7

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Jesus never said he was dead

the father in the story said he was

but the son was alive

the son was perceived as dead but alive all the while

and yes in the sons effort to make his way home knowing who his father is

he never made it

the father came running
Amen! And what I love most is that the father restored his inheritance even though the son had squandered it all. Plus gave him the ring of authority.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Life by the Spirit
So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law. The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I WARN YOU, as I did before, that THOSE WHO LIVE LIKE THIS WILL NOT INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD.

Who is Paul WARNING in these verses? Is it a WARNING only for the unbelievers or both?

But since according to you and others on this thread, ONCE SAVED, YOU ARE ALWAYS SAVED. Does this mean that WARNINGS are not for you to acknowledge and take heed of because you are UNTOUCHABLES and have no chance of being DECEIVED so as to abandon or turn away from the FAITH ALONE that saves as you CLAIM? Have you become kings already and are reigning with Christ without the HOLY and PROMISED people of God who died and still waiting to be PERFECTED with the BODY OF CHRIST on the day when our Savior from heaven comes back?

...These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that ONLY TOGETHER WITH US WOULD THEY BE MADE PERFECT. Hebrews 11:39-40, (Revelations 6:9-11)

Why would anyone need to be sanctified, purified, perfected, resurrected, glorified, stand firm to the end, face judgment, if all we need is to believe or have FAITH ALONE to be saved?

...Finally, brothers, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more. For you know what instructions we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus. It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable, not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God; and that in this matter no one should wrong his brother or take advantage of him. The Lord will punish men for all such sins, as we have already told you and warned you. For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. Therefore, he who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit.
1 Thessalonians 4:1-8

What can a DISOBEDIENT OSAS follower expect if he refuse to acknowledge, take heed of such WARNINGS?

...But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.” Revelation 21:8

...See to it that you do not refuse him who speaks. If they did not escape when they refused him who warned them on earth, how much less will we, if we turn away from him who warns us from heaven? Hebrews 12:25

... Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. Therefore do not be partners with them. Ephesians 5:6-7
Why do you use the word by rather than in the Spirit. By suggests a separation.

We are Spirit, filled with Him to the brim!

Holy Spirit is well able to correct us. Perhaps it would be more beneficial if you spoke about the trustworthy nature of Father? Many do not know Father. Jesus yes, but not Father.

Who could ever leave the Lord? Like Peter...where would we go? We thirst for God. To know Him and ultimately be with Him.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
Is our love, our calling, our ambition to be like Jesus?
When we die and meet him?
In our walk today?
A transformation, as we follow learn and are taught?

How? We take the next step, that is all Jesus calls us to do.

To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
1 Peter 2:21

"He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth."
When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly.
1 Peter 2:22-23

Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.
I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the teachings, just as I passed them on to you.
1 Cor 11:1-2

Now if anyone stands against this, they deny Jesus and the gospel.
If you are His sheep you will listen to His voice. Thankfully we are called to spread the word,
for we are not the word, but witnesses to the word.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
Methinks you have no idea of how perfect Jesus was on this earth...... to actually think you can be like Him, or even approximate Him.

Wowo_O
Are you an ambassador for Christ?

We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God.
2 cor 5:20

And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit
2 cor 3:18

In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.
Eph 6:16-18

When you are disowned from knowing Jesus, when the work of His hands in your heart is called non-existant,
you know He has done a mighty work in you, and the light that shines out convicts, challenges and asks a
question of others.

Jesus said it like this
You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death.
All men will hate you because of me. But not a hair of your head will perish. By standing firm you will gain life.
Luke 21:16-19

So praise the Lord, for great is His way, and High is His Kingdom and nothing shall prevail against it.