Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
there I bolded it for you

I think the issue is The definition of practice sin

we may have differing views. We must take Gods view
Same chapter….

1 John 3
4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness.

Romans 13
8 Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law. 9 For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” [b]“You shall not bear false witness,” “You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Jan 5, 2020
Wrong

That’s like saying both physical and spiritual circumcision are required yet Col 2 days no. It is spiritual only. Just like it is spiritual baptism only as stated in Col 2
again eph 4. One lord one faith one baptism
Take this slowly. To be an israelite you had to be circumcised both physically and spiritually.
Our symbol of being part of the body of Christ is baptism physically and spiritually.

Rom 2:29
No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a man's praise is not from men, but from God.

Col 2:11-12
In him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ, having been buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead.

Gal 5:6
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

We fail if we start playing absolutes, rather than love expressed through faith.
A legalistic mind always wants one perspective to dominate, when there are many.

E

eternally-gratefull

You seem to change your tune every other day of the week. You can be quoted as saying REPENTANCE IS NOT NECESSARY BECAUSE YOU REPENTED WHEN YOU FIRST BELIEVED.

And then you type the above. So what is it? Which side of the fence are you leaning over today?
No, you just never listen to anything people say I have always maintained above
ps. Repent and confess are two different terms.

E

eternally-gratefull

Same chapter….

1 John 3

Romans 13
8 Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law. 9 For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” [b]“You shall not bear false witness,” “You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
So again you deviate, which I expected which is why I stoped talking to You
I will just presume you think John lied

Which I already knew thanks for proving it

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Col 3:12-14
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

Paul does not call the colossians sinners but "God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved."
You seem to not be speaking as Paul spoke. Is that not a problem?
Being realistic is a problem?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
To all who post before me. Amen,Amen and Amen
So good to see you again, Dusty:) How have you been, crusty old buddy?

Ephesians 2, from where the thread title was taken does sum it up pretty well. Let's all say AMEN! to that:)

Ephesians 2
2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Jan 5, 2020
Lambs book of life - written in or not

rev 21:15
If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Who owns this book? The Lamb.
Psalm 69:28
May they be blotted out of the book of life and not be listed with the righteous.

To whom should we listen to above all else? The Lamb.
Phil 4:3-4
whose names are in the book of life. Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!

Who can remove us from the book? The Lamb
Rev 3:5
He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels.

If the Lamb says it do it.

Jan 5, 2020
Being realistic is a problem?
Realistically the world is doomed to the lake of fire.
In Jesus the impossible is made possible. That is our faith, very optimistic.

Matt 19:26
Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
Same chapter….

1 John 3

Romans 13
If you LOVE you fulfil the law. If you sin you don't love.
1 John 3
7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning.

I can go on all day with this. Because the scriptures all support what I am saying. Its you that has to twist. I am not trying to convince you at all. I am just exposing false teaching.

Nov 16, 2019
I was once in a conversation with someone who attends the church of Christ who claimed he did not teach salvation by works, then afterwards, contradicted himself by making this statement - "It is works of obedience that help to save us and not works of the law or works of merit." Without him even realizing it, he is teaching that works help earn our salvation, even if it's only in part.
How do you know that he did not mean that in the way Peter said it in Acts 2:40?

40And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation. - Acts 2:40

That's why we really need to stop passing judgment on them. God can make them realize they are wrong if they really think in their heart that their works are literally earning them salvation. We can share what we want to help that happen, but we surely have no right to pass judgment on them.

Now I'm not saying you are doing the same thing...
I know. And I appreciate you saying that. (y)

I have heard all kinds of sugar coated double talk in the past from works-salvationists who set out to justify "their version" of salvation by faith + works by trying to pass it off as salvation through faith, not works.
Even if they are confused, I understand why they might be confused.
I sure would rather deal with people who are trying real hard to be obedient because they think that's how they are saved than the person who thinks their works don't matter, which, by the way, usually equates to them sorely lacking in the works department.

E

eternally-gratefull

Take this slowly. To be an israelite you had to be circumcised both physically and spiritually.
Our symbol of being part of the body of Christ is baptism physically and spiritually.

Rom 2:29
No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a man's praise is not from men, but from God.

Col 2:11-12
In him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ, having been buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead.

Gal 5:6
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

We fail if we start playing absolutes, rather than love expressed through faith.
A legalistic mind always wants one perspective to dominate, when there are many.
take this slowly

Colossians 2:12–14 (NKJV): buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross
it was not water baptism. No water was involved

E

eternally-gratefull

If you LOVE you fulfil the law. If you sin you don't love.

1 John 3
7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning.

I can go on all day with this. Because the scriptures all support what I am saying. Its you that has to twist. I am not trying to convince you at all. I am just exposing false teaching.
All day? When have I denied this?
you asked if a person practices sin are they saved
John answered you yet again you deflect

It’s a waste of time. You are unable to hear
John said it I believe it. The passage you just posted does not answer my question. Next

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017

John said it I believe it. The passage you just posted does not answer my question. Next
He who sins is of the devil (John's words). Are they saved Eternally-Grateful?

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017

The New Birth (and New Creation) is NO LESS of a miracle than the parting of the Red Sea.
Many here appropriate and bandy about the term "born again" without ANY understanding of the power available to the new creature. You say you are "born again" but don't have the faith to appropriate the verses about holy living to the new creature. And if you don't believe it, then it isn't. You are still stuck in your sins, because you haven't considered yourself dead to sin, nor alive in Christ Jesus.

Romans 6v11
11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
Romans 8
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. 13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

Hence Paul's warning.
Which passage ( ^ ) is immediately preceded by, verses 9-11 :

"9 Now you are not in flesh but in Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you; but if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not of Him. 10 But if Christ is in you, the body is indeed dead on account of sin, but the Spirit is life on account of righteousness. 11 And if the Spirit of the One having raised up Jesus out from the dead dwells in you, the One having raised up Christ Jesus out from the dead also will give life [G2227 - zóopoieó - ; 'vivify ("animate")'...'particularly used of God infusing His life in the believer'... 'empower with divine life'... 'to (re-)vitalize'] to your mortal bodies [THE ONES WE STILL LIVE IN], on account of [/by means of] His Spirit dwelling in you." [by means of His Spirit--not by means of our "self-effort" to do so--let us not be found "denying the POWER thereof" by the things we assert which are not in accord with what Scripture tells us ;)]