Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 12, 2019

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
So do you now agree that to love someone is a work?
NO! You do not understand, because You have never been Born Again.

Ephesians 6:24 (HCSB)
24 Grace be with all who have undying {agape} love for our Lord Jesus Christ.

Works are what YOU think you do to Gain GOD's Favor. SALVATION IS A FREE GIFT, TOTALLY UNEARNED.

2 Corinthians 3:5 (HCSB)
5 ⌊It is⌋ not that we are competent in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our competence is from God.

Ephesians 2:8-9 (NJB)
8 Because it is by grace that you have been saved, through faith; not by anything of your own, but by a gift from God;
9 not by anything that you have done, so that nobody can claim the credit.

Titus 3:5-7 (HCSB)
5 He saved usnot by works of righteousness that we had done, but according to His mercy, through the washing of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit.
6 He poured out this ⌊Spirit⌋ on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
7 so that having been justified by His grace, we may become heirs with the hope of eternal life.

2 Timothy 1:9 (HCSB)
9 He has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began.

Romans 11:6 (NASB)
6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.

Ephesians 1:11-14 (HCSB)
11 We have also received an inheritance in Him, predestined according to the purpose of the One who works out everything in agreement with the decision of His will,
12 so that we who had already put our hope in the Messiah might bring praise to His glory.
13 When you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and when you believed in Him, you were also sealed with the promised Holy Spirit. {Long before your first deed.}
14 He is the down payment of our inheritance, for the redemption of the possession, to the praise of His glory.

Romans 5:9-10 (HCSB)
9 Much more then, since we have now been declared righteous by His blood, we will be saved through Him from wrath.
10 For if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, ⌊then how⌋ much more, having been reconciled, will we be saved by His life!

1 Peter 1:3-5 (HCSB)
3 Praise the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. According to His great mercy, He has given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead
4 and into an inheritance that is imperishable, uncorrupted, and unfading, kept in heaven for you.
5 You are being protected by God’s power through faith for a salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.

Jan 12, 2019
NO! You do not understand, because You have never been Born Again.

Ephesians 6:24 (HCSB)
24 Grace be with all who have undying {agape} love for our Lord Jesus Christ.

Works are what YOU think you do to Gain GOD's Favor. SALVATION IS A FREE GIFT, TOTALLY UNEARNED.

2 Corinthians 3:5 (HCSB)
5 ⌊It is⌋ not that we are competent in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our competence is from God.

Ephesians 2:8-9 (NJB)
8 Because it is by grace that you have been saved, through faith; not by anything of your own, but by a gift from God;
9 not by anything that you have done, so that nobody can claim the credit.

Titus 3:5-7 (HCSB)
5 He saved usnot by works of righteousness that we had done, but according to His mercy, through the washing of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit.
6 He poured out this ⌊Spirit⌋ on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
7 so that having been justified by His grace, we may become heirs with the hope of eternal life.

2 Timothy 1:9 (HCSB)
9 He has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began.

Romans 11:6 (NASB)
6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.

Ephesians 1:11-14 (HCSB)
11 We have also received an inheritance in Him, predestined according to the purpose of the One who works out everything in agreement with the decision of His will,
12 so that we who had already put our hope in the Messiah might bring praise to His glory.
13 When you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and when you believed in Him, you were also sealed with the promised Holy Spirit. {Long before your first deed.}
14 He is the down payment of our inheritance, for the redemption of the possession, to the praise of His glory.

Romans 5:9-10 (HCSB)
9 Much more then, since we have now been declared righteous by His blood, we will be saved through Him from wrath.
10 For if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, ⌊then how⌋ much more, having been reconciled, will we be saved by His life!

1 Peter 1:3-5 (HCSB)
3 Praise the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. According to His great mercy, He has given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead
4 and into an inheritance that is imperishable, uncorrupted, and unfading, kept in heaven for you.
5 You are being protected by God’s power through faith for a salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.
I am not saying work is needed for salvation, so there is no need for you to keep spamming these verses.

I am saying to love others and love God is a work.

Do you agree with that?

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
DEUTERONOMY 31:6. “Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you.

Psalm 40:2 " He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay,
And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
The counter to that is to present scripture which "builds us up" and doesn't tear us down.
i agree with you and others all the way.

but, i do think there comes a time to shake the dust off your feet and move on.

i mean, there is a person here ( not in this , but active elsewhere on the site) that thinks all of us who go to church on sun, are blaspheming Jesus and worshiping nimrod.

i mean, when you have someone with that mindset, after a long time of presenting Scripture and also history of the church, and the mindset does not move an inch, there is a time to move on??

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
I am not saying work is needed for salvation, so there is no need for you to keep spamming these verses.

Do you agree with that?

NO!
IF YOU ARE BORN AGAIN, it comes out of OUR Human Spirit, as part of our NEW NATURE of our Human Spirit.

You cannot Agape LOVE LIKE that, UNTIL YOU ARE BORN AGAIN. It is a GODLY LOVE.

It is NOT Natural for a human being to LOVE like that. It is Super Natural.

Blue_Of_Lake

Jun 12, 2020

Do you agree with that?
NO!
IF YOU ARE BORN AGAIN, it comes out of OUR Human Spirit, as part of our NEW NATURE of our Human Spirit.

You cannot Agape LOVE LIKE that, UNTIL YOU ARE BORN AGAIN. It is a GODLY LOVE.

It is NOT Natural for a human being to LOVE like that. It is Super Natural.

maybe, but we might still sin, even though we love too.

that is why we need to, " .... watch and pray ... " Matthew 26:41 "... that you be counted worthy ... " Luke 21:36

Watching snd Praying is Work -- a Doing, an Action, to be Remembered and Done.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I was just looking at @dcontroversal first post and all those people who liked and didn't like it.

There was a guy with the name ilovethepope that put a red x on it....:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
Was the name all in capital letters? We used to get some members, multiple names at a time, almost all with Catholic connotations, some profane... they would come in and put angry faces on people's posts, but rarely say anything :unsure:

Good morning all :D

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

i mean, there is a person here ( not in this , but active elsewhere on the site) that thinks all of us who go to church on sun, are blaspheming Jesus and worshiping nimrod.

i mean, when you have someone with that mindset, after a long time of presenting Scripture and also history of the church, and the mindset does not move an inch, there is a time to move on??
We had a Sabbatarian here for a while (too long) who got so zealous in his promotion of Sabbath keeping that he would say things like we were breaking a commandment to worship on a Sunday... and of course he would have to backtrack from that ridiculous position when called out on it, though he would never admit he was wrong in anything he said :unsure: While telling us how sinless he was :LOL:

VCO

Oct 14, 2013

🕇

Yes, I have been around Seventh Day Adventist, that get so brain washed with Ellen White's teaching, they think like that.

I like to Tell them, that Sunday is NOT THE Sabbath, and never do we think it is any day SATURDAY. We Choose to worship on SUNDAY, because we worship a RISING LORD, and JESUS ROSE from the GRAVE on SUNDAY. Not only that, but in HIS WORD HE INSPIRED THIS TO WRITTEN.

Hebrews 7:11-28 (ESV)
11 Now if perfection had been attainable through the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the law), what further need would there have been for another priest to arise after the order of Melchizedek, rather than one named after the order of Aaron?
12 For when there is a change in the priesthood, there is necessarily a change in the law as well.
13 For the one of whom these things are spoken belonged to another tribe, from which no one has ever served at the altar.
14 For it is evident that our Lord was descended from Judah, and in connection with that tribe Moses said nothing about priests.
15 This becomes even more evident when another priest arises in the likeness of Melchizedek,
16 who has become a priest, not on the basis of a legal requirement concerning bodily descent, but by the power of an indestructible life.
17 For it is witnessed of him, “You are a priest forever, after the order of Melchizedek.”
18 For on the one hand, a former commandment is set aside because of its weakness and uselessness
19 (for the law made nothing perfect); but on the other hand, a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God.
20 And it was not without an oath. For those who formerly became priests were made such without an oath,
21 but this one was made a priest with an oath by the one who said to him: “The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind, You are a priest forever.’”
22 This makes Jesus the guarantor of a better covenant.
23 The former priests were many in number, because they were prevented by death from continuing in office,
24 but he holds his priesthood permanently, because he continues forever.
25 Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.
26 For it was indeed fitting that we should have such a high priest, holy, innocent, unstained, separated from sinners, and exalted above the heavens.
27 He has no need, like those high priests, to offer sacrifices daily, first for his own sins and then for those of the people, since he did this once for all when he offered up himself.
28 For the law appoints men in their weakness as high priests, but the word of the oath, which came later than the law, appoints a Son who has been made perfect forever.

JESUS NEVER MENTION THAT THE CHURCH SHOULD KEEP THE SABBATH. WHY?

He gave us a substitute for the SABBATH LAW, that would be changed.

Hebrews 10:23-25 (ESV)
23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful.
24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works,
25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

NOTE: No Mention of the DAY we should worship.

Romans 14:5-6 (ESV)
5 One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God.

BUT IT SAYS SATURDAY IS THE DAY TO WORSHIP. FOR WHO ? ? ?

Exodus 31:12-18 (ESV)
12 And the LORD said to Moses,
13 “You are to speak to the people of Israel and say, ‘Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the LORD, sanctify you.
14 You shall keep the Sabbath, because it is holy for you. Everyone who profanes it shall be put to death. Whoever does any work on it, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
15 Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death.
16 Therefore the people of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, observing the Sabbath throughout their generations, as a covenant forever.
17 It is a sign forever between me and the people of Israel that in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.’”
18 And he gave to Moses, when he had finished speaking with him on Mount Sinai, the two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God.

Never does GOD say the GENTILES shall Keep the SABBATH. NOT ONE TIME.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
FAITH is NOT in your Head, it is In the Human Spirit.

Romans 10:9-10 (HCSB)
9 If you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 One believes with the heart {human spirit}, resulting in righteousness, and one confesses with the mouth, resulting in salvation.
Wow, that really is useful to have in mind when giving answer about our faith to the people who do not believe. They do think our faith is in our heads.

E

EleventhHour

Wow, that really is useful to have in mind when giving answer about our faith to the people who do not believe. They do think our faith is in our heads.
Just wondering then why it states heart and not spirit?
My understanding in ancient times the heart was the seat of man... involving the spirit, soul and mind.

But I agree faith is also listed as a gift of Holy Spirit.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Was the name all in capital letters? We used to get some members, multiple names at a time, almost all with Catholic connotations, some profane... they would come in and put angry faces on people's posts, but rarely say anything :unsure:

Good morning all :D
I think it was capitalized with _ those in between

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Just wondering then why it states heart and not spirit?
My understanding in ancient times the heart was the seat of man... involving the spirit, soul and mind.

But I agree faith is also listed as a gift of Holy Spirit.
Yes "heart" is largely used to mean the inner man (by analogy of being the life core hidden inside), or soul, or individual spirit in the Bible.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017

Totally agree.

Matthew 10:14
14 And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet.

Shaking the dust off one’s feet conveys the same idea as our modern phrase “I wash my hands of it.” Shaking the dust off the feet is a symbolic indication that one has done all that can be done in a situation and therefore carries no further responsibility for it. In the scriptural examples, Jesus was telling His disciples that they were to preach the gospel to everyone. Where they were received with joy, they should stay and teach. But where their message was rejected, they had no further responsibility. They were free to walk away with a clear conscience, knowing they had done all they could do. Shaking the dust off their feet was, in effect, saying that those who rejected God’s truth would not be allowed to hinder the furtherance of the gospel (got questions.org)

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina

I'm not here for any particular person, although there are some here I consider CC friends. I'm here to learn from those who can teach me Truth directly from the Word of God. For those, like you said above, I move on from communicating with them. But for me the bottom line is to communicate with those who know how to discuss and not fuss.

Dec 12, 2013

The gospel is the foundation which you know.....I prayed that God would use this thread, make it the longest running thread and biggest thread in CC history because of all the skewed versions of salvation being peddled by deceivers on this site and in the world. I cannot let those that corrupt the message go unchallenged and or unanswered..........time is short, evil and false gospels march rank and file deep, the end is near and if we can but win one more to the truth......having said that....regardless of all the heated debates, spiritual rounds going overhead and negativity on this particular thread, it has opened eyes, converted some and is being used by God......I will post until CC gets shut down, this thread gets locked, the internet is dead and or the world burns if there is hope that even one can be converted to the truth that salvation is by grace through faith without one work attached to save a man!

E

EleventhHour

The gospel is the foundation which you know.....I prayed that God would use this thread, make it the longest running thread and biggest thread in CC history because of all the skewed versions of salvation being peddled by deceivers on this site and in the world. I cannot let those that corrupt the message go unchallenged and or unanswered..........time is short, evil and false gospels march rank and file deep, the end is near and if we can but win one more to the truth......having said that....regardless of all the heated debates, spiritual rounds going overhead and negativity on this particular thread, it has opened eyes, converted some and is being used by God......I will post until CC gets shut down, this thread gets locked, the internet is dead and or the world burns if there is hope that even one can be converted to the truth that salvation is by grace through faith without one work attached to save a man!
All I can say to this is......................... AMEN and AMEN!