Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
No, when you insist nobody can keep the law, by default you incriminate yourself as one who is trying to obtain by dead faith that which can only be obtained by living faith: eternal life.
That's patently ridiculous logic.
Scripture destroys your baseless accusations here:

Galatians 2:16-21
knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified. "But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, [is] Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not! For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the [life] which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness [comes] through the law, then Christ died in vain."

No one is justified by the law.
Explain why?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Your presumptuous belief that grace will cover deliberate, habitual, known, presumptuous sin will be your undoing
Your presumptuous belief that a pretense to law-keeping will cover your
deliberate, habitual, known bearing of false witness will be your undoing.

How odd that you spurn and despise the grace of God so vehemently.

I suppose as someone (like you) who has put yourself back under the law, you must.

I still find it odd.

John 6:37 plus John 10:28
:)

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021

I suppose as someone (like you) who has put yourself back under the law, you must.

I still find it odd.

While he judges sinners and excuses his own habitual willful sin, and denying it is sin.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
I defined OSAS - perhaps the most unBiblical of all false doctrine - as a License to Sin,
Good for you, then - God Has It "Defined" Different than men do, calling
12-Dozen Plain And Clear BIBLICAL Passages = UNbiblical, judging others!:

God's OPERATION On all His New-born babes In Christ!
+
God's Eternal Assurance!

HE Alone Is my Righteous JUDGE! Amen.

LORD JESUS, thank You so much for Your Precious BLOOD,
Gift Of Eternal Salvation, And for Your Blessed Hope of
Glorification
When You Come To Finally Gather us Home! Amen.

GRACE And Peace...

Snacks

Feb 10, 2022
It's called "tough love" much like when Jesus told the Jews they were of their father the devil. There were two kinds of Jews that day: the ones who got insulted and wanted to stone Him and the ones who realized the truth He spoke and repented. Which are you?
I would defend your words if they were tough love but it’s not tough love you share. I encourage you to reevaluate your heart, and that is said with love, not vindictiveness.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not
carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness.

For there are many rebellious men, empty talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, who must be
silenced because they are upsetting whole families, teaching things they should not teach for the sake of sordid gain.

But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Brutal honesty..

A very significant amount of users here would be high internet users. Therefore there is also a high chance, even though the majority would be believers.. that they get caught up in looking at adult content sites.

Now.. for those who believe salvation can be lossed...

This IS habitual sin. You yourself may even be caught in it. I can just about guarantee when people here fall into this.. it isn't just 10 minutes of looking.. but probably hours.

An entire church, community or even generation of christians can be characterised by particular kinds of sin. David had a problem with adultery. Peter had a problem with pride. Solomon had many wives, which God tolerated but did not condone.

Now Jesus, is hurt by this when we get caught in it.. and does discipline us.. does prompt us back, does command us to flee. But actually leave us and condemn us to hell? That isn't relationship.. that's a works based contract.

There is a difference between when Jesus saves someone eternally and then THE faith. The walk of faith after salvation. Eternal salvation MAY be accompanied by works.. but there was no mixture of works in getting it.. so there is no guarantee.

(I think I have posted this same thing too many times... oh well.. )

CherieR

May 6, 2017
Do you think you keep Christ's clear commandment:
"have faith in God"?

Yes or no?
I know you didn't ask me this question though I will respond. I don't always keep this command as I ought to. I have faith but I also get afraid and anxious. I feel like recently asking myself " what would Jesus say?" helped me feel more calm at work . I thought how he would say to trust in God and I thought of Scripture.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
What do you consider works in this? How do you distinguish works that are of faith or works from people who don't have faith in Christ?
It would seem that pretenders to law-keeping also pretend that those who believe differently than they do
have no good works. In their eyes, it is all sin, sin, sin, and nothing but sin, and wheeee, let's go sin some more.

This is made apparent by their constant harping on grace being a "license to sin."

Ted01

May 14, 2022
I find it strange also that people put themselves back under the Law... it's so well covered in Scripture not to do that!
But to those who like to be under the "commands" of God/Jesus... how about Matt. 5:48? What do they do with that?

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." (KJV)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I know you didn't ask me this question though I will respond. I don't always keep this command as I ought to. I have faith but I also get afraid and anxious. I feel like recently asking myself " what would Jesus say?" helped me feel more calm at work . I thought how he would say to trust in God and I thought of Scripture.
i fail in this too. every time i worry, every time i get upset over inconsequential things, every time i am afraid to do something i know i ought -- even if i do that thing, my trepidation or even a mere second thought shows i am lacking faith; my faith is not as strong and complete as it should be.

it is a good example, i think, when we really examine ourselves and meditate on what it means to have complete faith in Him - an example that we fall short; we have not attained: he can work more in us, and is working more in us.

it is the one who confesses their failings that is forgiven of them, not the one who pretends they have none.

Lord, increase our faith!

Aug 3, 2019

I still find it odd.

Why do you turn grace into disgrace with the false OSAS doctrine?
Why are God's commandments so grievous to the OSAS crowd when the Bible says they are not?
Why do you choose high sounding spiritual platitudes instead of sound Biblical reasoning?

You claim "rest in Jesus" allows you to disregard His commandment to rest on the Sabbath day, but according to that logic, when Jesus becomes our truth we can lie, or when Jesus becomes our eternal reward we can rob banks. Surely, even one who is gullible enough to believe OSAS isn't too dense to see that we're not at liberty to lie or steal, so why insist we can break the Sabbath?

"Blessed are they which DO HIS COMMANDMENTS that they may have right to the Tree of Life and may enter into the gates to the city". - Revelation 22:14 KJV

Aug 3, 2019
Good for you, then - God Has It "Defined" Different than men do, calling
12-Dozen Plain And Clear BIBLICAL Passages = UNbiblical, judging others!:

God's OPERATION On all His New-born babes In Christ!
+
God's Eternal Assurance!

HE Alone Is my Righteous JUDGE! Amen.

LORD JESUS, thank You so much for Your Precious BLOOD,
Gift Of Eternal Salvation, And for Your Blessed Hope of
Glorification
When You Come To Finally Gather us Home! Amen.

GRACE And Peace...
Unfortunately, OSAS is a doctrine of devils which has deceived many into believing they may obtain by dead faith that which can only be obtained by living faith: eternal life.

Eternal assurance is for those who've made a full surrender, not to those who keep claiming "you can't keep the Ten Commandments" which is as pathetic as a cheating husband arguing "no man can be faithful to his wife"...and here lies the crux of the issue: the OSAS crowd doesn't know the first thing about loving Jesus because all they do is search for reasons to "crucify the Son of God afresh and put Him to an open shame" (Hebrews 6:4-6 KJV).

Aug 3, 2019
I would defend your words if they were tough love but it’s not tough love you share. I encourage you to reevaluate your heart, and that is said with love, not vindictiveness.
Snacks, you need a lesson in what it means BIBLICALLY to hate and to love: Leviticus 19:17 KJV says showing hate to another is when we fail to rebuke them in their error. Conversely, a stern rebuke of a brother in his error is a Biblical act of Godly love. Now that you're equipped with proper knowledge of what is Biblical love and hate, please stop with your foolishness, OK?

If I truly hated the OSAS crowd, I'd keep quiet and let them continue on down the path of perdition and straight into hellfire and grab a bag of popcorn as they go up in flames...understand?