Not Eating Pork (Biblical Reason?)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Shamah

Jan 6, 2018
I think the Creator knows His creation, Pigs, vultures, catfish, lobster and shrimp are natures garbage disposals...

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/.../are-there-deadly-superbugs-in-your-pork.aspx
""

Are There Deadly Superbugs in Your Pork?

Scientists have detected antibiotic-resistant bacteria in pork, pigs and some veterinarians. It is possible that these so-called superbugs could infect farmworkers or even people who eat pork.
Antibiotic-resistant bugs were found in more than 7 percent of over 100 swine veterinarians tested. The same bacterial strains were found in nearly 50 percent of 300 tested pigs.
Perhaps of greatest concern, the bacteria were also found in 10 percent of more than 200 samples of ground pork and pork chops collected from four Canadian provinces.
An estimated 18,650 deaths a year in the U.S. are estimated to be caused by antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Dr. Mercola's Comments:
If you’re still not convinced of the benefits of avoiding pork, I advise you to keep reading.
Pork is actually good meat from a biochemical perspective, but I believe there is more than enough scientific evidence to justify the reservations or outright prohibitions in many cultures against consuming it.
Pigs are scavenger animals and will eat just about anything. Their appetite for less-than-wholesome foods makes pigs a breeding ground for potentially dangerous infections. Even cooking pork for long periods is not enough to kill many of the retroviruses and other parasites that many of them harbor.
This is why my eating plan recommends consciously avoiding pork whenever possible.
Granted, the occasional consumption of pork might be fine, but it's a risk, and the more you consume it the more likely it is that you will acquire some type of infection, because as I will show you, the antibiotic-resistant bacteria Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is NOT your only potential health hazard.
Scientific Backing for the Avoidance of Pork
Bacon, perhaps one of America’s favorite breakfast staples, is in fact one of the worst type of processed meats you could eat for your health. According to a 2006 study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, eating bacon five or more times a week was linked to increasing your risk of bladder cancer by 59 percent. Aside from the processing of the meat, another likely cause for bacon’s negative influence on your health is the heterocyclic amines that form when meat is cooked at high temperatures.
If you cook meat that is loaded with pesticides and hormones at high temperatures, you're simply asking for trouble. That's why I limit my meat choices as much as possible to grass-fed and organic meats.
You also need to beware of eating undercooked pork, as it can cause trichinosis. Fortunately, trichinosis affects only 11 people per year in the U.S. and less than 2 percent of those infected actually die from the disease, which means there is one death every five years in the U.S. from this.
As far as MRSA is concerned, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have previously warned consumers about the risks inherent in the ever-popular holiday ham in their Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. Turns out the high salt and sugar content of pre-cooked canned hams provides an ideal growth medium for the Staphylococcus aureus bacteria.
Additionally, if you’re a diabetic or if you have a weakened immune system, you may also do well to steer clear of chitterlings, a dish consisting of boiled pig intestines that are served up as traditional holiday fare in the Southern U.S.
It’s possible for people with poorly controlled diabetes to become seriously ill with enteritis necroticans, a potentially life-threatening intestinal infection. The rare disease causes severe stomach pain, vomiting of blood and low blood pressure. The culprit is the chitterlings-contaminating bacterium known as Clostridium perfringens type C, which produces a toxin that is lethal to tissue in your digestive tract. Even cooking the chitterlings might not rid them of the bacteria.
But wait, there’s more!
The Unsavory Side of Pork
The pork and swine industry has been continually plagued, and continues to be so to this day, by a wide variety of hazardous and deadly infections and diseases, including:
PRRS -- A horrendous disease, which I first reported on in 2001, but which had been a nightmare for many nations since the mid-1980s, is still alive and kicking today.
At one point referred to as "swine mystery disease," "blue abortion," and "swine infertility," the disease was finally named "Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome” (PRRS), and may afflict about 75 percent of American pig herds.
The PRRS virus primarily attacks the pig’s immune system, leaving its body open to a host of infections, particularly in the lungs. Initial research revealed that the virus was transmitted via semen, saliva and blood, leaving pigs herded closely together and transported in close quarters by trucks more susceptible to infection.
However, according to new research presented at the 2007 International PRRS Symposium shows that the disease is now airborne, making eradication efforts very difficult. According to the PRRS Coordinated Agricultural Project (CAP) and the National Pork Board, it is still the most economically significant disease of swine in the U.S.
The Nipah VirusDiscovered in 1999, the Nipah virus has caused disease in both animals and humans, through contact with infected animals. In humans, the virus can lead to deadly encephalitis (an acute inflammation of your brain). I originally reported on this virus in 2000, but according to CDC data, the Nipah virus reemerged again in 2004.
Hepatitis E (HEV) – According to the Mayo Clinic and an article in the Journal of Clinical Biology, pork may be the reservoir responsible for sporadic, locally acquired cases of acute hepatitis reported in regions with relatively mild climates as HEV has been found to transmit between swine and humans.
Porcine Endogenous Retrovirus (PERV) – According to a study in the journal Lancet, this virus can spread to people receiving pig organ transplants, and according to test tube studies, PERV strains does have the ability to infect human cells. PERV genes are scattered throughout pigs' genetic material, and researchers have found that pig heart, spleen and kidney cells release various strains of the virus.
Menangle Virus – In 1998, the journal Emerging Infectious Diseases reported that a new virus infecting pigs was able to jump to humans. The menangle virus was discovered in August 1997 when sows at an Australian piggery began giving birth to deformed and mummified piglets.​
What About Pasture-Raised Pork?
In a slightly ironic twist, I can’t even safely recommend consuming pasture-raised pork, because while researching this article I stumbled across a study in the current issue of Emerging Infectious Diseases citing concerns about pastured pigs being vulnerable to Trichinella spiralis infection, due to their exposure to wild hosts that carry the disease.
Pasture-raised pig farming has expanded with increased demand from health conscious consumers, and currently there are 28 U.S. farms located within 50 kilometers of a previously infected site.
If for whatever reason you still want to continue buying pasture-raised pork, I’d advise you to at least take a look at the CDC map, which details areas where outbreaks have occurred, to avoid purchasing meat from a potentially unsafe location.
Other than that, I would simply recommend you avoid pork altogether, even organic pasture-raised versions.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
Most livestock do not sweat like humans.

Humans are somewhat unique in that regard. In humans, sweating releases traces of toxins (less than one percent of the body's total content), but in reality, the sole purpose of sweating is to prevent overheating.

The liver and kidneys (not the sweat glands) are the body's true detoxifiers. They filter toxins out of the blood and the body releases them through urine and feces, as well as with animals the liver and kidneys do the detoxifying.
Most forums require someone who copies and pastes other people's intellectual property to share a link-back to said source. I'll assist so that any number of sources listed can be taken into consideration and for credit for your copy/paste, as they wish. DUCK DUCK GO

It wasn’t just pork they couldn’t eat but everyone seems to focus on pork,

It’s probably more to do with the habit and lifestyle of the animal.
True. As we can find when we read Leviticus. The thread question however is exclusive to the question of pork.

L

LPT

Most forums require someone who copies and pastes other people's intellectual property to share a link-back to said source. I'll assist so that any number of sources listed can be taken into consideration and for credit for your copy/paste, as they wish. DUCK DUCK GO

True. As we can find when we read Leviticus. The thread question however is exclusive to the question of pork.
look into it before posting a outlandish statement. You didn't do a complete study.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
Why couldn't the Israelites eat pork, was it due to how it was raised, worship related, to be different from the surrounding people and religions, or what? Was it strictly for dietary reasons that God said not to eat them (because they are bad for health)?

Is pork today the same as it was then? Or is it healthier now, depending upon feed? Or is it as terrible as some people suggest, saying it is "not fit for consumption"?
Lev. 11:
44 For I am the LORD your God (The Word which became Flesh) ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy: neither shall ye defile yourselves with any manner of creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
45 For I am the LORD that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt, (SIN) to be your God: ye shall therefore be holy, for I am holy.

46 This is the law of the beasts, and of the fowl, and of every living creature that moveth in the waters, and of every creature that creepeth upon the earth:

47 To make a difference between the unclean and the clean, and between the beast that may be eaten and the beast that may not be eaten.

For me, given I am not a God, and given that I am bought with a Price, and Given that I Trust the Word of God which became Flesh it's a no brainer. He says something is Holy, OK!!! HE says something is unclean. OK!!!!

I just accept that of all the voices out there, this ONE would know, should know, what is Clean and what is unclean, what is created for food, and what was created for something else. I'm OK with His Judgment.

Since the Christ, The Word of God which became Flesh, created all these things, and since He also said:

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
I understand that to mean we should listen and do what He instructs.

He says it's what comes from within that defiles a man, and rebellion and disobedience most certainly comes from within.

It's kind of like the garden, and His Holy Sabbath. Eve had all the trees in the garden to eat off of, yet she was convinced by a voice quoting God, to lust after the ONE TREE she was told not to eat off of.

We have 7 days a week in which the Word which became Flesh gave us 6 to do all our work. He only asked for this one day a week to fast from the world for our own good. Yet religious man lusts after this one day to make it just like the rest.

In like manner, mankind has endless choices for food, a freedom that few animals enjoy, yet they lust after those things which their own God said don't lust after.

I might remind folks that Noah or Abraham didn't do these things when God gave them instructions, and certainly the Man Jesus didn't lust after unclean, and unholy things either.

Shouldn't all His People follow His Word's and His Example? That seems like a good reason to me.

L

LPT

And let's look at kosher animal diseases

Zoonotic diseases are diseases that can be transmitted from animals to humans and from humans to animals. Zoonotic diseases may be acquired or spread in a variety of ways: through the air (aerosol), by direct contact, by contact with an inanimate object that harbors the disease (fomite transmission), by oral ingestion, and by insect transmission. There are fifteen cattle diseases with zoonotic potential in the United States, some of which are more common than others. They include anthrax, brucellosis, cryptosporidiosis, dermatophilosis, Escherichia coli, giardiasis, leptospirosis, listeriosis, pseudocowpox, Q fever, rabies, ringworm, salmonellosis, tuberculosis, and vesicular stomatitis.

L

LPT

Nonsense.
You didn't honor your source. That's what is outlandish.
Your the pot calling the kettle black.

Where was your resources in your post #9, you have no honor either.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
="jameen, post: 3752958, member: 266998"]Forbidding to eat pork is only a commandment for the children of Israel; Leviticus 11:2 read it.

So if you're a Gentile, you're not part of that commandment especially if your religion is not Judaism.

Christians can eat any meat because of this reason:

1 John 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be rejected that is received with thanksgiving:
It's 1 Timothy 4 and this is what the text actually says.

1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

First, God never created pork to be received with thanksgiving. You can find nowhere which says such a thing. Eating the unclean is a religious tradition of man, not God. Pigs are not "bad", they are just not food. This isn't speaking about eating what God created as unclean. Why would people want to do that?

Second, Jesus clearly considered pork unclean, He said it was unclean as the Word of God, and as the man Jesus. And when He returns, it is still unclean as Isaiah teaches.

What matters most to our Lord is the heart and not what we eat as Christians:
Matthew 15:11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man: but what cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

15:17 Do you not understand, that whatsoever entereth into the mouth, goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the privy?

15:18 But the things which proceed out of the mouth, come forth from the heart, and those things defile a man.

15:19 For from the heart come forth evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false testimonies, blasphemies.

15:20 These are the things that defile a man. But to eat with unwashed hands doth not defile a man.
So yes, there is no law against eating with unwashed hands as the Christ points out. But He is telling us what does defiles a man.

Rebellion, disobedience, unbelief, evil thoughts, all these things defile a man. Partaking in direct disobedience to HIS WORD's defiles a man.

It isn't the woman that defiles us, it's our lust for her. It isn't the candy bar that defiles us, it's the desire to steal it which comes from within. It isn't the pig that defiles us, it's the lust of our wicked flesh that defiles us.

We know people here on earth who don't eat pork but are terrorists and taught by their "holy" book to hate their non brethren in faith because they are worst of creatures according to that book.
you know already who are these people right?
There are preachers on earth who call Jesus Lord, Lord, that molest little boys too. You know who these people are right?

And they eat pork. So what is your point? How is one worse that the other?

L

LPT

There's no reason to speculate why these animals are unclean just that they are. The bible is clear on the reason those animals that only chew the cud or only have cloven hooves are unclean.

It is a Pure guess to reason why, no need to go outside the boundary.

L

LPT

Any animal biblically clean or unclean on this planet can harbor a disease that can be harmful to humans.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
There's no reason to speculate why these animals are unclean just that they are. The bible is clear on the reason those animals that only chew the cud or only have cloven hooves are unclean.

It is a Pure guess to reason why, no need to go outside the boundary.
I agree, isn't Faith believing even if we don't see?

I was fully convinced God is true some 27 years ago now. And one thing I found regarding the clean and unclean issue is the amount of time I am thinking about God and His Word throughout the week when we shop, when we cook and eat.

Living among religious nations which disregard much of God's creation makes it sometimes difficult to keep my mind in check. What a blessing it is to be reminded about God in my own mind even in a shopping center. At first it was difficult, but now it is a wonderful blessing which helps us in this evil time.

Surely the wisdom of God surpasses all human knowledge.

Sep 25, 2018
I would encourage you to consider the phrase, "Correlation does not mean causation." :)
Yeah, I know what you mean. Still, studies have shown that a more natural, plant-based diet contributes to better quality of life and overall health (Forks Over Knives...), so I'd say it's something to ponder.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
There are preachers on earth who call Jesus Lord, Lord, that molest little boys too. You know who these people are right?

do you really think child molestation = eating bacon ?

you rape someone, you've sinned against them.
you eat a ham sandwich, have you sinned against the pig?
don't you likewise sin against a cow if you had a roast beef sandwich instead? and sin against the lettuce by consuming it, and the tomato by mashing it into catsup?

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
Your the pot calling the kettle black.

Where was your resources in your post #9, you have no honor either.
Either? For that to be said you first acknowledge your dishonor. I accept your admission as not only was it patently obvious in your former copy paste reply, but your obstinate repeat of a source that is not linked-back to itself is again exposed publicly and continues in post#46. DUCK DUCK GO "...Zoonotic diseases may be acquired or spread in a variety of ways: through the air (aerosol), by direct contact," In that one example of the entirety of your post, aside from your free hand sentence concerning Kosher meats, has no reference to Kosher flesh.

You are a pot all to yourself. My post #9 is my own free writing. Search it out. It is not copied and pasted. It is my own thoughts. Any time I post an excerpt of an article I link-back. It is common practice and in many forums a rule.

This source will assist readers to understand Kosher.
What is "Kosher"

K

Karraster

don't you likewise sin against a cow if you had a roast beef sandwich instead? and sin against the lettuce by consuming it, and the tomato by mashing it into catsup?
Acts 15:29 You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things. Farewell. (Biblegateway)

According to the Word, and not our own preferential notions, sexual impurity is in the same command as the food laws. It appears that both are requirements so....

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Acts 15:29 You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things. Farewell. (Biblegateway)

According to the Word, and not our own preferential notions, sexual impurity is in the same command as the food laws. It appears that both are requirements so....
all of these things are what you would encounter if you attended a Greco-Roman temple. i wonder if that's coincidental or not? i really don't know.

do you believe the church should perform marriages for people who eat ham sandwiches?

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
God Questions: Why did the Old Testament Law command against the eating of pork?
".....The whole world in Moses’ time was idolatrous, with each nation believing in many deities. The forbidding of eating certain foods such as pork distinguished between what would later be termed “Jew” and “Gentile.” The dietary restrictions further indicated that Israel was a separate nation and a chosen people. Saying “no” to eating pork and other practices of the pagans helped the Israelites to break free from idolatry—a sin they assuredly struggled with (see Exodus 32). "

K

Karraster

all of these things are what you would encounter if you attended a Greco-Roman temple. i wonder if that's coincidental or not? i really don't know.

do you believe the church should perform marriages for people who eat ham sandwiches?
I don't have an answer for your last query. However, according to the Word, the church doesn't perform marriages anyway.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017

As is your custom, you omit parts of the message to deflect and deceive. You ignore the entire post and pick and choose a word here or sentence there to promote your religion, ignoring the rest of what is written. You have a habit of doing the same with everybody, especially the Word of God.

In the one part of my post you singled out I replied to the following.

"We know people here on earth who don't eat pork but are terrorists and taught by their "holy" book to hate their non brethren in faith because they are worst of creatures according to that book.
you know already who are these people right?"

To which I replied.

It's so sad that you don't have the desire or ability to understand the point.

BTW, in God's Word, sin is defined as "Transgression of God's Commandments". It's not defined as eating beef. As a preacher you should know this.

Just sayin.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Do gentiles have to get circumcised today? Yes or No?

Mr Torah is Truth? Yay or Nay?
And the answer is YES!! What the ritual of physical circumcision did the Holy Spirit now does for us, so we can skip the physical cutting.

Gentiles and Jews are under the same God with the same rules. When we received the Holy Ghost at Pentecost, the HG took the place of physical circumcision, but we are to be circumcised spiritually. Our thoughts and desires are to be subject to the training the Holy Spirit gives us rather than the training the rituals gave before Pentecost. We are to learn all that being circumcised means to us, we are to study the ways of the Lord and follow them.

The same goes for not eating pork. There were spiritual guidelines for living that was given through the rituals, and at the time it was given all gentiles worshipped God's that were against the true God. So scripture tells us it was given to Israel. Now, gentiles are adopted into Israel, we are God's children now. All that was given to Israel is now ours, also.