Observing the sabbath???

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
If there is no difference the new testimony would controdict itself and not make sense.
The difference is we're not under the old covenant law but the law of liberty. (James 2:12)

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
Brother roadoftravel Remember??? Jesus healed a man on the sabbath!!(Mark 2:23-27 also please look at (Mark 3:1-5) also please check out Romans (14:1-9) NOW!!! IF!!!! You believe it is a sin to you to perform an action then it is a sin to you!! That I never have a problem with, my problem is that some people look to put this off on others, which from the Word of God himself and myself is just plain wrong. Not that you are doing that brother!! Just wish to be clear to others who hold to the Old Covenant. Hope this helps you out!! Blessing!

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Th
Brother roadoftravel Remember??? Jesus healed a man on the sabbath!!(Mark 2:23-27 also please look at (Mark 3:1-5) also please check out Romans (14:1-9) NOW!!! IF!!!! You believe it is a sin to you to perform an action then it is a sin to you!! That I never have a problem with, my problem is that some people look to put this off on others, which from the Word of God himself and myself is just plain wrong. Not that you are doing that brother!! Just wish to be clear to others who hold to the Old Covenant. Hope this helps you out!! Blessing!
The bible is clear. Sabbath keeping is between God and man, it was made for man.

Jesus showed the world what Sabbath keeping was about.
He did break the sabbath.
He said He was lord of the sabbath.

Doing the Lords work on the Sabbath is good, helping people is good.

The holy day of God has not changed. And no verse proves that it has changed.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
The difference is we're not under the old covenant law but the law of liberty. (James 2:12)
Jas 2:10-12
10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. 11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

The law of liberty is the 10 commandments

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Are we allowed to buy or sell on the sabbath?? Can we eat out on the sabbath??? Are we allowed to cook- prepare meals on sabbath??? Any help?
1670118737073.png

Let me ask a Question First.

Who was that Law written FOR ? ? ?

Exodus 35:1-4 (HCSB)
1 Moses assembled the entire Israelite community and said to them, “These are the things that the LORD has commanded you to do:
2 For six days work is to be done, but on the seventh day you are to have a holy day, a Sabbath of complete rest to the LORD. Anyone who does work on it must be executed.
3 Do not light a fire in any of your homes on the Sabbath day.”
4 Then Moses said to the entire Israelite community, “This is what the LORD has commanded:

Now How many days a week is a Christian supposed to Honor the LORD, and Worship HIM and only HIM ? ? ?

Every day for the rest of your life.

Ephesians 5:1-2 (HCSB)
1 Therefore, be imitators of God, as dearly loved children.
2 And walk in love, as the Messiah also loved us and gave Himself for us, a sacrificial and fragrant offering to God.

Ephesians 5:17-21 (HCSB)
17 So don’t be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.
18 And don’t get drunk with wine, which ⌊leads to⌋ reckless actions, but be filled by the Spirit:
19 speaking to one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing and making music from your heart to the Lord,
20 giving thanks always for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,
21 submitting to one another in the fear of Christ.

You see, that is the Worship Command for the CHURCH, without a specific day attached to it, limiting to a specific day.

Romans 14:4-13 (HCSB)
4 Who are you to criticize another’s household slave? Before his own Lord he stands or falls. And he will stand. For the Lord is able to make him stand.
5 One person considers one day to be above another day. Someone else considers every day to be the same. Each one must be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 Whoever observes the day, observes it for the honor of the Lord. Whoever eats, eats for the Lord, since he gives thanks to God; and whoever does not eat, it is for the Lord that he does not eat ⌊it⌋, yet he thanks God.
7 For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself.
8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.
9 Christ died and came to life for this: that He might rule over both the dead and the living.
10 But you, why do you criticize your brother? Or you, why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before the tribunal of God.
11 For it is written: As I live, says the Lord, every knee will bow to Me, and every tongue will give praise to God.
12 So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.
13 Therefore, let us no longer criticize one another. Instead decide never to put a stumbling block or pitfall in your brother’s way.

You should be able to see that the LORD HONORS all of us that are Sincerely LOVE and HONOR HIM.

So if you think you should Keep the Sabbath Law do it wholeheartedly, while I think I should consider every day alike. God will honor both of us, because of HIS GRACE. Do what your conscience tell you to do. While I have the freedom to go shopping on after my worship service.

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
In Truth TMS the sabbath was never written for me, for I was never a Jew. The Old Covenant was made for the rebellious Jews, and they needed it to! LOL, I use this example, I once lived in California, I now live in Michigan, do the same laws written in California apply to me living now in Michigan?? Of course not, same here.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Moses gave the law in stone, that is stone of the earth. When God told us to be circumcised, it was to cut flesh as a symbol. When Christ died for our sins, the law itself was not changed, but how we are to obey did change. Instead of using symbols we are to obey in spirit and truth.

We are to be circumcised by setting ourselves apart, living as a human belonging to God. Special diet of only clean foods that didn't eat garbage was taken away, but the law changed from a law of the flesh, the spiritual law to not put garbage in our minds and soul that the diet commands were a symbol of changed and the law became a law pf spirit and truth.

We are given a law of the Sabbath, and Christ made it a law of spirit and truth. Christ did not take away or change anything the Father of Christ established. (our Father too) So Christ made it a day stripped of earthly rules like how far to walk on the Sabbath, etc. but we are to keep it in our heart and soul.
“For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭7:12‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Jesus isn’t a levite and isn’t a priest of Moses law he’s the high priest over his own words not Moses words

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
In Truth TMS the sabbath was never written for me, for I was never a Jew. The Old Covenant was made for the rebellious Jews, and they needed it to! LOL, I use this example, I once lived in California, I now live in Michigan, do the same laws written in California apply to me living now in Michigan?? Of course not, same here.
gentiles we’re rebellious before israel was ever chosen and tested , then they were also proven the same as everyone else everyone has rebelled against God whether hey we’re given the law or not

There’s no difference between a Jew and gentile that is over with the law

“Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh,…..; but now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

For he is our peace, who hath made both ( Jew and gentile ) one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; and are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

in whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: in whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭2:11, 13-15, 19-22‬ ‭KJV‬‬

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
LOL Pilgrims Tell that to the Jews back then! They sure believed there was a huge difference! If there was no difference, there would never have to be a NEW Covenant.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
It doesn't matter who you are or what time you lived. Sin is sin.
Murder is wrong in all states.

The theory about "its only for the Jews" was made up to make the law void.

I'm not debating about the old covenant. I'm trying to help people see that the Sabbath was made for man.
MAN = anthrōpos
Thayer Definition:
a human being, whether male or female
generically, to include all human individuals....
The word Jesus used was inclusive of all humans not specific to Jews.
Mar 2:27-28
27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: 28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Th
The bible is clear. Sabbath keeping is between God and man, it was made for man.

Jesus showed the world what Sabbath keeping was about.
He did break the sabbath.
He said He was lord of the sabbath.

Doing the Lords work on the Sabbath is good, helping people is good.

The holy day of God has not changed. And no verse proves that it has changed.
The Lord didn't break the Sabbath. He broke the Pharisees understanding of the Sabbath.

The Sabbath pointed to the Lord and what He would give His People.

"Keeping Sabbath" as a religious tradition is what Pharisees do, and others who have rejected Grace.

Galatians 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

Galatians 4:9-10
9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
10 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.

Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Galatians 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Jas 2:10-12
10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. 11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

The law of liberty is the 10 commandments
James 2:13 For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

There is no mercy in the 10 commandments.

Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Ooooh, theres a clue!!

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
James 2:13 For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

There is no mercy in the 10 commandments.

Ooooh, theres a clue!!
Do i have liberty to break the laws?
Or does mercy come because Christ paid the penalty for us.

The law is righteous and just and good.
We are sinners and fail.
Christ is merciful and gracious..
The moral law does not change so we can sin freely.
We are free from the perfect law because Jesus was perfect.

James tells us to obey the 10 commandments.
Paul tells me to establish the law by faith.

Oct 27, 2022
Are we allowed to buy or sell on the sabbath?? Can we eat out on the sabbath??? Are we allowed to cook- prepare meals on sabbath??? Any help?
I Cor 5:7, Christ became our passover when he sacrificed himself for us. He is our sabbath and we should rest in him every day of our lives.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
I Cor 5:7, Christ became our passover when he sacrificed himself for us. He is our sabbath and we should rest in him every day of our lives.
Amen! Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome To Chat.

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided
(+ I and II).

Grace, Peace, And JOY!...

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Do i have liberty to break the laws?
Or does mercy come because Christ paid the penalty for us.

The law is righteous and just and good.
We are sinners and fail.
Christ is merciful and gracious..
The moral law does not change so we can sin freely.
We are free from the perfect law because Jesus was perfect.

James tells us to obey the 10 commandments.
Paul tells me to establish the law by faith.
Paul tells you NO SUCH THING. You twist his words like you do the rest of Scripture.

First of all, you have NO IDEA what the Law tells you. If you had an inkling you would know that you DON'T follow the Law. You never have.

Your ONLY HOPE is to abandon your "knowledge" of the law and turn to the Lord Jesus. Both for His Mercy and His Strength.

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

1 Timothy 1:5-7
5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:

6 From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;

7 Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.

Rondonmon

May 13, 2016
Jesus is our (Sabbath) Rest. We are in Jesus 24/7/365.In the Old Testament they had to continually go make offerings, we have a "Once and for all sacrificial offering" Thus we have access to the High Priest who is now Jesus 24/7/365, this we rest on him 24/7/365. His blood cleanses us always, as long as we do not willfully sin on a continual basis, thinking, its OK for me to sin, Jesus' blood covers me, NO, God is not stupid, of course, if you ask forgiveness planning to go back that same sin the very next week you are not going to be forgiven.

Thus, Jesus is our rest, our Sabbath, we have peace in him, we have rest on him. I do not understand why people can not understand that Jesus fulfilled all of these types of laws, he is our once and forever sacrifice.

JimmyM

Dec 4, 2022
So, you are saying that you keep ALL the Old Law commandments, is that correct?
Have you not read Luke 1:6 Speaking of Zechariah and Elizabeth? John the Baptizers mom and dad?

‘And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.’

This is before the initiation of the New Covenant. What’s your thoughts?

JimmyM

Dec 4, 2022
"One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." - Romans 14:5 KJV
It is interesting that when we read this verse, we immediately apply it to a Saturday versus Sunday controversy. Which was non-existent in the first century. What created controversy were those of the Pharisees who were called Judaizers. And Jesus and Paul continually had to deal with the fallout of their teachings everywhere they went.

These Pharisees were made up of two houses of Jewish thought. The house of Hillel and the house of Shammai. Both houses very respected in Jesus’ and Paul’s day within Judaism and both had large followings. One extremely liberal the other in a conservative way. These Judaizers would travel great distances to make proselytes to the Jewish faith in which Jesus said this about them in Matthew 23:15 ‘For you travel land and sea to win one proselyte, and when he is won, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves.’ So we’re not surprised when we see them in Antioch Syria or as far as Rome. Both houses of Jewish thought were not on the same page when it came to Jewish traditions and customs establishing their own doctrines. It was very confusing. While the Old Testament spoke of an annual fast on Yom Kippur, these sects created weekly fasts and on different days of the week with no commandment found in the teachings of Moses to substantiate. Yet both houses felt they were honoring God on different days. These sects were predominant in all the Jewish synagogues and I suspect very influential on both Jewish and nonJewish believers. I say synagogues because man-made church buildings were non existent. It’s why James, the Elders and the Holy Spirit reference Moses being taught in the synagogues weekly in Acts 15:21 for they had every expectation that the gentiles turning to faith would join in the weekly Old Testament and the Prophets bible study that they may learn the oracles of God. It explains why the Apostle Paul’s custom was to enter the synagogues in every city he traveled. Why? He knew he’d fine both believers and a field white unto harvest among his Jewish brethren for the Bible tells us many of Paul’s converts were from the Jewish leadership.

So if you quote Romans 14:5, let us consider the culture and the context to possibly determine what Paul was addressing. 5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. The confusion surrounding the Jewish fasting days by various houses of Jewish thinking makes more sense than offering a Sabbath first day of the week controversy which did not exist. It exists today but not then. And what Paul wrote was addressing that community in Rome.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Have you not read Luke 1:6 Speaking of Zechariah and Elizabeth? John the Baptizers mom and dad?

‘And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.’

This is before the initiation of the New Covenant. What’s your thoughts?
Yes, they were law keeping Jewish people. They were under the old law... correct? This was before Jesus was even born, much less crucified and raised from the dead... old law.