but imagine i am right(i am), you would have called god retarded.(you have, I suggest you ask him for forgivness)
ask forgiveness for something i didnt do?
but imagine i am right(i am), you would have called god retarded.(you have, I suggest you ask him for forgivness)
ask forgiveness for something i didnt do?
In your "many apologetics books and websites," you've never seen this argument? That says a lot about you, and none of it good. I would not brag about the fact that your library of knowledge is so limited that you never read anything outside of your own limited circle.1. 'You've never heard this argument, so it must not be a good one...'
I mention this because (A) I find your argument ridiculous because of reasons I've mentioned in other threads (every disagrees about the facts and the evidence, so your argument could be applied to any viewpoint) and (B) I've read many apologetics books and websites and none of them has seemed to consider your idea worth refuting.
That is actually exactly what I do believe. The Big Bang theory actually supports "ex nihlo," out of nothing, and plants and animals followed millions of years afterwards by the natural process of evolution.How do you know that God created the universe? How do you know that he didn't just allow it to pop out of nothingness based on the principles of quantum mechanics, then allow for plants and animals to be formed by evolution? That is the sort of thing that some scientists are arguing now.
I have just proven you do NOT understand my theory, since you don't even understand what I believe.I understand your theory fine. That's why I know it doesn't make sense.
1. I did not lie
(It's "you're," not "your." "You're" is a contraction of "you are." "Your" is possessive. No biggee ... people make that mistake all the time.)But your assuming this is what God did in genesis one.
Let me ask you: what "proof" do you have that God intended it to be literal? You have less proof of your interpretation than I have of mine. As "lacking" as my proof may be, at least I have some, which is more than you can say for yours.If this is the only proof you have, it is sorely lacking.
And again, your inability to understand is not my failing.I don;t understand how you believe anyone would use that excuse to prove gen 1 is fable.
You have called my God a liar. You don't think that's at least as offensive as calling him a writer of fiction? And I'm sorry, but I don't see how calling someone a writer of fiction is offensive.You called my Gods account of creation a fairy tail or fable. That is quite offensive don;t you see?
I have said this before. Were you not paying attention?Is God all powerful or not? Can he not speak the earth into existence with everything it needs to survive, operate and support plant and animal life?
(It's "you're," not "your." "You're" is a contraction of "you are." "Your" is possessive. No biggee ... people make that mistake all the time.)
If it's no "bigge" then why would you take the time to point it out? This is a thread, it's not like YOUR writing the president.....oh....I mean The President. That is just nit picking, rather immature. BTW I see a sentence fragment in YER response. For one who points out every little grammar mistake, you would think you would be more careful in YER response.
I have said this many times on this and other threads: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." I would want to know if I was making an error like that.If it's no "bigge" then why would you take the time to point it out?
And on that topic, thank you for pointing out the sentence fragment in my own post.
That's because He didn't intend it to be taken literally. It is true: you can't prove that 2+2=5. But can you "prove" that 2+2=4?You cant PROVE God intended somehting to be taken literally,
I see Genesis the same way. I'm sorry you miss the obvious clues. I've posted them already.Jesus called Herod a "fox". He did not say this was to be taken literally, nor figuaritly. Yet the meanig demands it to be figartive. We understand Herod cannot be a fox. So we see it must be a metaphor.
I am not familiar with this. Can you provide links?Is their scientific evidence the earth is NOT billions of years, yes there is.
I believe the words that are so obviously supposed to be taken figuratively, just by the way they are written. And then, it just happens that the scientific evidence that exists agrees with that interpretation.So what do you do, believe God and the science that supports what he said. OR the science that says it's not true, and then change the interpretation to figurative, even though NOTHING gives us a reason to do so?
The Earth itself says it is billions of years old.As I askes Chesser, whats your strongest argument for an old earth,
There are four. There is plenty more.Dinosaurs, the sun, moon, dating methods, what?
We've shown you many. You want more, stay tuned, I'll keep posting them as I find them.So what's your argument? Just you cant see?
That one has elements that are both symbolic and literal.What about the rest of Genesis, did Joseph really go and rule in Egypt?
You know, you should take a course in Biblical literature. That would help you learn how to read Scripture, how to tell when God is being literal and when he is being metaphoric (and when he is being both), how to understand it the way the ancient Hebrews understood it. Then you don't have to ask total strangers on the web, but you can figure it out on your own.Did Sodom really get destroyed by God? Did 3 Angels really appear to Abraham? If not, then why, if yes, then how do you know it's to be taken literally?
That's because He didn't intend it to be taken literally. It is true: you can't prove that 2+2=5. But can you "prove" that 2+2=4?
We have given evidence for 2+2 being 4. You reject that evidence. That's fine. But you still can't make 2+2=5.
I see Genesis the same way. I'm sorry you miss the obvious clues. I've posted them already.
I am not familiar with this. Can you provide links?
I believe the words that are so obviously supposed to be taken figuratively, just by the way they are written. And then, it just happens that the scientific evidence that exists agrees with that interpretation.
The ancient Hebrews understood Genesis 1 as Metaphor, even though they had no evidence that the world was billions of years old, or millions, or thousands. They just read the book and understood that God clearly intended it as metaphor.
The early Christians understood it the same way, just by reading it. The way you understand when you read a fairy tale, that when it says "Once upon a time," even if the story is plausible and possible, you know it's not literal. Often, in fact, it's VERY true: it's plausible not because "it actually happened this way once," but "yup, it always happens this way all the time." Metaphor is not lying, it's a Truth that is truer than fact.
The Earth itself says it is billions of years old.
There are four. There is plenty more.
We've shown you many. You want more, stay tuned, I'll keep posting them as I find them.
That one has elements that are both symbolic and literal.
You know, you should take a course in Biblical literature. That would help you learn how to read Scripture, how to tell when God is being literal and when he is being metaphoric (and when he is being both), how to understand it the way the ancient Hebrews understood it. Then you don't have to ask total strangers on the web, but you can figure it out on your own.
A local university might have a class you can audit, or you may be able to find something at a community college. Good luck, and tell me how it goes.
It basically becomes a game of.....if it syncs up with what atheistic, dishonest, secular science says, then would should take it literally, but if not, its symbolic or figurative.
I'm sorry, I could not make heads or tails of this sentence. May I have a subject and noun, please? I mean, clearly you are trying to insult me, I get that. However, without a complete sentence that makes sense, well, you've failed in a fairly humorous way. (Pot, meet kettle.)Only one reason for being as arrogant as you are, feeling of knowing you have no solid interpretation, and feeling of inconsistently, just waiting for someone to point it out.
Actually, I've only had two, and it is something I would like to study more. Thanks for the reminder ... I may look around and see if there's a school locally that offers some advanced classes.though it's obvious you never had a hermeneutics class in your life.
Hmm. That would be one way. That's not how I go, however. As I said, I go by what GOD says. Literal when God is being literal, figurative when God is being figurative.in other words literal when diva wants, figurative when diva wants.
It doesn't surprise you that your kids are particularly rebellious. Poor parenting is common among fundamentalists.When you can talk like a normal person we can continue. If you want to be insulting and stomp your feet like bratty child, then I get enough of that with my kids.
I'm sorry, I could not make heads or tails of this sentence. May I have a subject and noun, please? I mean, clearly you are trying to insult me, I get that. However, without a complete sentence that makes sense, well, you've failed in a fairly humorous way. (Pot, meet kettle.)
Actually, I've only had two, and it is something I would like to study more. Thanks for the reminder ... I may look around and see if there's a school locally that offers some advanced classes.
Hmm. That would be one way. That's not how I go, however. As I said, I go by what GOD says. Literal when God is being literal, figurative when God is being figurative.
It doesn't surprise you that your kids are particularly rebellious. Poor parenting is common among fundamentalists.
In the mean time, I recommend you look up the word "projection." You may find it quite illuminating.
I'm sorry, I could not make heads or tails of this sentence. May I have a subject and noun, please? I mean, clearly you are trying to insult me, I get that. However, without a complete sentence that makes sense, well, you've failed in a fairly humorous way. (Pot, meet kettle.)
Oh, you get it, and you no it covers you, and you didnt know u were so transparent. But hey, if you want to pretend not to understand, that's fine.
I would like you to study it more as well. That would save us from having to listen to you whine because you have no support for what you teach.Actually, I've only had two, and it is something I would like to study more. Thanks for the reminder ... I may look around and see if there's a school locally that offers some advanced classes.
Can you show me one reason, why Genesis it out of the scope of God's ability then? Since something is forcing you to take it figuratively, God did not say this, Moses did not write this, so where is your bases, other than trying to fit in the world, because YOU cant answer their arguments either? I can, no problem. Hey diva if you cant beat em join em right? Just one passage, one example, one valid reason, just one diva, void of your opinions and assumptions, give me something valid for once.Hmm. That would be one way. That's not how I go, however. As I said, I go by what GOD says. Literal when God is being literal, figurative when God is being figurative.
Oh I am sorry, If you cannot beat them, then join them. Now can you understand?
Yes this is a common trait of all fundamentalist, we like rebellious kids, where did you learn that one? Is just more assumption and opinion to go along with your worldly views?It doesn't surprise you that your kids are particularly rebellious. Poor parenting is common among fundamentalists.
I recommend you get a date, or if your married, try some quality time, you seem like an angry middle aged woman, Menopause perhaps? I only ask cause your so angry and insulting, and really don't deal with any actual arguments. Plus your name seems a little teenager wannabee-ish. Did you like that word? Anyway, whenever you want to make an argument feel free, until then you can have the last insult. Then you can say your winning at something.In the mean time, I recommend you look up the word "projection." You may find it quite illuminating.
More insults from one who is upset because they cannot prove one thing, and have no passages to support their doctrines. I see why you would be bitter. Sounds like your angry and bitter, are you single? Just wondering?
I'm not sure why you keep saying this. I have said at least twice that it is not out of the scope of God's ability. This makes the third time I am saying that sure, if God had WANTED to, God could absolutely have created the world in six 24-hour days. What I have been saying is that God chose not to do this. If God had done this, the creation would indicate that age, because the God in whom I believe, in whom I put my trust, does not lie.Can you show me one reason, why Genesis it out of the scope of God's ability then?
Again, I have stated several times that I believe God DID write the Bible. I will ask you again, nicely, please do not lie about what I have said. If you don't remember what I said, that is one thing, but it seems you are more forgetful than someone of your advanced intellect should be.Since something is forcing you to take it figuratively, God did not say this, Moses did not write this, so where is your bases, other than trying to fit in the world, because YOU cant answer their arguments either?
I have given you several over the past several days, several more in this post, and will continue to give you more. I understand that you need to pretend like I'm not giving you actual explanations, because otherwise you might be forced to question your faith, and that can be scary. But it doesn't have to be. Please know that millions of devout Christians have been able to keep their faith completely intact while rejecting outmoded or even harmful ideas that have been taught to them. It's all up to you. I will continue to work on you, because I think you are intelligent, and it's worth trying to get you to understand. Call me stubborn, or maybe the Spirit has moved me to work on you, I don't know. For whatever reason, I seem to be compelled to keep on keeping on, long after most would have thrown in the towel.I can, no problem. Hey diva if you cant beat em join em right? Just one passage, one example, one valid reason, just one diva, void of your opinions and assumptions, give me something valid for once.
Your link is to a very short blog post by someone who discusses supernovas, and spends maybe a paragraph explaining that young earth creationists might believe in a deceptive God,
I feel the same way about so-called "Young Earth Science." I've seen a handful of so-called scientists provide "evidence" that the world may be only a few thousand years old, but when you actually look at what they have, you discover they don't really have "evidence," what they have is a lack of the absence of evidence, and lots of hot air, and they claim the reason they can't get published is because the science community refuses to accept their findings, but with as many publishers as there are who are controlled by churches and other conservatives, that excuse just doesn't hold water.Since you mentioned this "God must be lying if the universe is young" idea, I did find a few websites that mention the idea, but those that supported the idea weren't very convincing, nor were they from reputable sources;
Fair enough. I'll look through my library. I would, in fact, always recommend "paper" books to the internet, so that works for me.I'll tell you what: If you can tell me the name of a book by a prominent author who discusses this idea (and this idea specifically, the deceptiveness of God in relation to the young age of the universe, and not the topic of the age of the universe itself) more than in passing, I'll read it and tell you what I think.
I believe that God created the universe out of nothing. The Big Bang theory pretty much supports that theory. It is possible to accept the Big Bang theory without believing in God, and it is possible to believe in God without accepting the Big Bang theory. However, the two are completely compatible.What is exactly what you do believe? Do you believe that God created the universe out of nothing, or do you believe that the universe simply popped out of nothing pretty much on its own?
I actually totally agree with you here, and concede this point to you. Like I said, I will check out my library (which right now is in boxes, so it may take a day or two) but I will get back to you.What does being ubiquitous in cyberspace have to do with the credibility of a theory? Anyone can post just about any crazy idea on the Internet. Unfortunately, that is often true of book publishing, but at least it's less true, especially depending on the publisher. {snip} So that is why I am asking you to tell me a reputable book from a reputable publisher that discusses the "God is lying" idea at length.
I'm not sure why you keep saying this. I have said at least twice that it is not out of the scope of God's ability. This makes the third time I am saying that sure, if God had WANTED to, God could absolutely have created the world in six 24-hour days. What I have been saying is that God chose not to do this. If God had done this, the creation would indicate that age, because the God in whom I believe, in whom I put my trust, does not lie.
I would ask, "Can you show me one reason why God would lie," except that I know you've already said you don't believe he does.
Of course, your insistence on a literal interpretation of Genesis requires a lying god. I've explained it several times, but maybe you haven't understood yet, so I'll try it again.
The creation says it is billions of years old. You believe that it is not, because you insist on a literal interpretation of Genesis. Unfortunately, if creation is NOT billions of years old, that means that whoever created the world planted lies in that creation making it appear older than it was. If you believe that God created the world, planting lies in it, you believe that God is a liar. There's no getting around it, if you insist on a literal interpretation of Genesis.
The odd thing is, even before humans knew that the world was billions of years old, they read Genesis figuratively. They thought the world was much younger than it is, because they had no evidence to the contrary, but they did understand that Genesis 1:1-2:4a was clearly intended to be taken figuratively, and that, while God may have only taken six days (or six minutes, or six billions years ... they didn't know or particularly care) to create the universe, the descriptions given in Genesis were clearly poetic and symbolic, not literal.
Again, I have stated several times that I believe God DID write the Bible. I will ask you again, nicely, please do not lie about what I have said. If you don't remember what I said, that is one thing, but it seems you are more forgetful than someone of your advanced intellect should be.
God wrote the Bible. God chooses many different genres in his communication with us. Jesus spoke in parables as often as (if not more than) not. I believe that Jesus was and is God. Therefore, it makes sense that God would use parables as well.
I know there are some branches of Christianity that do not believe that Jesus is/was the same as God, but I think I remember you saying you did not belong to one of those sects.
I have given you several over the past several days, several more in this post, and will continue to give you more. I understand that you need to pretend like I'm not giving you actual explanations, because otherwise you might be forced to question your faith, and that can be scary. But it doesn't have to be. Please know that millions of devout Christians have been able to keep their faith completely intact while rejecting outmoded or even harmful ideas that have been taught to them. It's all up to you. I will continue to work on you, because I think you are intelligent, and it's worth trying to get you to understand. Call me stubborn, or maybe the Spirit has moved me to work on you, I don't know. For whatever reason, I seem to be compelled to keep on keeping on, long after most would have thrown in the towel.