Since you mentioned the idea of the 'God is lying' theory, I did find articles about some scientists and apologists who believe that idea, but it's usually not discussed at length, and from what I've seen, there aren't really any more good reasons for it than there are against it. It's probably one of those ideas that some people consider convincing and other people either find unconvincing or don't really care about it. I can sort of understand how some people find it convincing, but I still think that (apart from other concerns, such as whether one really does believe that the evidence supports an old earth) it's too extensible, that it could be used against just about any believe which is at least slightly ambiguous or uncertain -- God must be deceptive or unclear regarding this or that.
Anyway, I'll be on the lookout for it in any books that I read, and if you do find one that covers it extensively, please do tell me the title and author.
Anyway, I'll be on the lookout for it in any books that I read, and if you do find one that covers it extensively, please do tell me the title and author.