Once saved always saved? Or is salvation conditional on believing and following God's Word?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 11, 2019
You sound just like LOVEGODFOREVER........is this round three for you? My bible is clear.

It pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. <---Not jump through religious hoops.......!!
Thankyou, my hope is that I will be able to love God forever. I hope it is yours as well.

God bless you

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Salvation is by grace through faith it is a gift of God and not of works lest any man should boast (Ephesians 2:8)

What come first faith or the word of God?

God bless
This verse is also evidence that once saved always saved because it is a gift of God and not of works.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
Indeed but this is also conditional...

JAMES 1:12 Blessed is the man that endures temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord has promised to them that love him.

Jesus says if you love me keep my commandments (John 14:15)

I added to my post after you grabbed it (I think):

I guess I see James 1:12 as saying, "shall receive [or, lay hold on] the crown/stephanon OF the life..." (not "receive eternal life")

... perhaps even like [the 'lay hold on'] in Phil3:12 (which is speaking of, in the here and now).

[IOW, the "making real in our experience (condition/state/walk), that which is true of us doctrinally (position/standing)... in the here and now"]

I think we all, as believers, go through "the trial of your faith" (multiple times)

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Is salvation conditional on choosing to believe and follow Gods Word?
YES obedience is everything.
Here is a good starting point for all who claim to be 'saved' as Christians -

37 Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”
38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and
you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
39 For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself.”
40 And with many other words he bore witness and continued to exhort them, saying, “Save yourselves from this crooked generation.”
41 So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.
Acts 2:

And yet so many refuse to comply and refuse to obey.

Aug 11, 2019
This verse is also evidence that once saved always saved because it is a gift of God and not of works.
Well it means it is a gift of God and not of works lest any man should boast. Ephesian 2:8 does not say salvation cannot be lost and the scriptures provided in the OP also show that salvation is conditional on believing and following God's word always in the present tense.

God bless

Aug 11, 2019
I added to my post after you grabbed it (I think):

I guess I see James 1:12 as saying, "shall receive [or, lay hold on] the crown/stephanon OF the life..." (not "receive eternal life")

... perhaps even like [the 'lay hold on'] in Phil3:12 (which is speaking of, in the here and now).

[IOW, the "making real in our experience (condition/state/walk), that which is true of us doctrinally (position/standing)... in the here and now"]

I think we all, as believers, go through "the trial of your faith" (multiple times)
Thats ok brother thank you for sharing your view.

God bless

Dec 12, 2013
Thankyou, my hope is that I will be able to love God forever. I hope it is yours as well.

God bless you
YEP......no confirmation and or denial......let's see....from AU.....peddles same things LOVEGODFOREVER did....and did not answer but diverted........

Interesting....SO......ARE you LOVEGODFOREVER back under a new name?

IF yes, breaking the rules
IF you are and say NO then your whole keep yourself saved premise falls apart....

Yes or NO?

and while we are there.....HAVE you ever lost your salvation even ONCE?

Aug 11, 2019

37 Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”
38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and
39 For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself.”
40 And with many other words he bore witness and continued to exhort them, saying, “Save yourselves from this crooked generation.”
41 So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.
Acts 2:

Thanks brother Waggles for sharing these scriptures. They go nicely with the OP and also the other scriptures that say we shall know them by their fruits (John 15:1-10)

God bless

Dec 12, 2013

Acts 2:

No...what we refuse is your Charismatic religious view of said verses.......and the fact that you push the last part of MARK which is not found in the oldest manuscripts......come on Wags.......honesty is the best policy....

Aug 11, 2019
YEP......no confirmation and or denial......let's see....from AU.....peddles same things LOVEGODFOREVER did....and did not answer but diverted........

Interesting....SO......ARE you LOVEGODFOREVER back under a new name?

IF yes, breaking the rules
IF you are and say NO then your whole keep yourself saved premise falls apart....

Yes or NO?

and while we are there.....HAVE you ever lost your salvation even ONCE?
Hello my friend did you have anything to share in relation to the OP here? It seems you are only interested in arguing. If so I am not but will be happy to pray for you. Did you have anything to share in relation to the OP?

May God bless you as you seek him through his Word.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
"And hope does not make us ashamed, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through [/by means of] the Holy Spirit, the One having been given to us" Rom5:5

Aug 11, 2019
"And hope does not make us ashamed, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through [/by means of] the Holy Spirit, the One having been given to us" Rom5:5
Indeed brother this once again is to those who are believing and following God's word in the "present tense". It is not a scripture to unbelievers or those who have once believed and fallen away from believing and following God's word.

Thank you for sharing.

God bless

Aug 11, 2019
To go with the OP and 2nd and 3rd post, I like the YLT which translates the JOHN 3:15-16 as..

JOHN 3:15-16 (YLT)15 that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during, 16 for God did so love the world, that His Son -- the only begotten -- He gave, that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during.

So much for the false teaching of Once Saved Always Saved and Eternal Security. God's salvation has always been conditional on believing and following His Word in the present tense.

God bless

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.
John 3:36
And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.”
Acts 5:32
You were running well. Who hindered you from obeying the truth?
Galatians 5:7
in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.
2Thessalonians 1:8
If you love me [Jesus], you will keep my commandments.
John 14:15
If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.
John 15:10

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh, I live in faith, that of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." Gal2:20

Aug 11, 2019
"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh, I live in faith, that of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." Gal2:20
Once again indicative of believers not unbelievers.

Dec 12, 2013
Hello my friend did you have anything to share in relation to the OP here? It seems you are only interested in arguing. If so I am not but will be happy to pray for you. Did you have anything to share in relation to the OP?

May God bless you as you seek him through his Word.
I did share..........and why cannot you answer the questions which are valid?

Are you LOVEGODFOREVER back under a different name....? YES or NO
and
HAVE you ever LOST salvation, even ONCE?

BOTH SHOULD BE SIMPLE ENOUGH TO ANSWER

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
TDW: "And hope does not make us ashamed, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through [/by means of] the Holy Spirit, the One having been given to us" Rom5:5
Indeed brother this once again is to those who are believing and following God's word in the "present tense". It is not a scripture to unbelievers or those who have once believed and fallen away from believing and following God's word.
In view of the verse I had quoted, I expected one would also recall what is true regarding "the Holy Spirit" as mentioned in that verse (in relation to the believer / members of "the Church which is His body"), that being, "13 in whom you also, having heard the word of truth, the gospel your of salvation, in whom also having believed you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance to [/unto] the redemption of the acquired possession [i.e. "the Church which is His body"], to the praise of His glory."

Dec 12, 2013
36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.
John 3:36
And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.”
Acts 5:32
You were running well. Who hindered you from obeying the truth?
Galatians 5:7
in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.
2Thessalonians 1:8
If you love me [Jesus], you will keep my commandments.
John 14:15
If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.
John 15:10
It is easy to conflate scripture out of context WAGS....par for the course with religion

It pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to SAVE the that BELIEVE

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy has he saved us

Abraham believed GOD and it was put to his account for righteousness

We conclude that a man is JUSTIFIED by FAITH without the deeds/works of the law

Aug 11, 2019
I did share..........and why cannot you answer the questions which are valid?

Are you LOVEGODFOREVER back under a different name....? YES or NO
and
HAVE you ever LOST salvation, even ONCE?

BOTH SHOULD BE SIMPLE ENOUGH TO ANSWER
Because I do not need to and it is a distraction to the OP. I left your thread earlier because all you guys were doing were name calling. I hope you can respect this thread and discuss the OP and the scriptures provided and share your view here with us. You are welcome to join in with us here as long as you respect the people here and stop name calling.