Once saved always saved (OSAS) debunked

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 31, 2021
I get annoyed with the word "debunked" it usually is someone's opinion. They quote scripture then after say "however".

A great quote I read by - Dr. Earl Rademacher

"I have been saved"
"I am being saved"
"I will be saved"
First one is *past tense" Justification - at the Cross
Second one is "present tense" Sanctification - I'm a work in progress
Third one is "future tense" - Glorification - The results of the previous aspects
All believers will be glorified (resurrected and given a body like Christ), but some will have more glory (i.e. reward) then others. (Berean Seat of Christ).
Great point!!

All 3 tenses point to being saved.

Past tense salvation: saved from the penalty of sin.
Present tense salvation: saved from the power of sin.
Future tense salvation: saved from the presence of sin.

How many of my sins did Christ take to the Cross 2 thousand years ago? ALL OF THEM!
Amen.

Aug 20, 2021
never is it a problem with defining a sound.It is always an issue of the heart

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
Of course our salvation depends on our works. If you say otherwise, you're picking what scriptures you want to believe and ignoring the rest. Salvation by faith alone is a different gospel, a demonic one.

"But someone will say, 'You have faith and I have deeds.' Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. You believe that God is one. Good for you! Even the demons believe that—and shudder."—James 2:18-19

"And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done."—Revelation 20:12
All your scripture quotes on this matter can be unpicked.

For eg Revelations 20.21 this is the Great White throne Judgement and corresponds with the sheeps and goats. But it is SECOND resurrection. We belong to the FIRST resurrection "blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection.

We have already been raised, raptured [so shall we ever be with the Lord] we will have reigned with Him during a thousand years, passed over from judgement to life. God will bring us with Him when He comes to judge. There is no way that those being judged for their deeds are the church. Nor can the righteous sheep be the church.

I believe in THE WIDER MERCY.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
There is no way that those being judged for their deeds are the church. Nor can the righteous sheep be the church.

I believe in THE WIDER MERCY.

Who are they Evmur, are they saved in Christ? Or some other way? and what does WIDER MERCY mean?

You keep saying these things but never explain what it is you are trying to say.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
He did use another word, endure. The one who endures to the end will be saved.
Check out the verses surrounding 'he who endures to the end will be saved'

Is it saved from hell? Eternal life salvation?

Or is it being saved from trials and troubles? Deliverance from troubles but not eternal deliverance?

Also in saying.. God won't leave me, but I can leave God..

How does that work logically?

Because if God won't leave me... then when I fail in my walk .. He will stay with me.

The Holy Spirit goes into someone's soul at salvation.

How do you leave something inside you?

Its like being born into a biological family.. that biological bond cant be broken except by death.. but when someone is born again into Gods family it's an even stronger bond.

The main thing is.. in scripture there is two kinds of salvation.

One is being saved by Jesus eternally from hell.
The other is daily deliverance or being saved from trials and persecution.

The context determines which.

Chester

May 23, 2016
Your problem is John tells us exactly who they are. He tells them they were people who were part of the church. Who now are people who deny Christ. And the father who sent them (he called them antichrist)

nw if we did not have this problem today. I could agree with you. But we do have this problem today. You yourself claim this, by saying they lose salvation. Thats why of course you do not like 1 John. and want to claim this only applies to them. Not us.
I agree very much that we have this problem today: and it is a BIG problem today. There are many people who join a church without ever being born again - and then they have a mediocre, dull life, and then of course soon turn and leave the church, having never been born again and finding a relationship at all.

Where I differ with your interpretation is quite simple: you say this text says that all people of all time who leave a church were never born again. I do not see that stated in the text at all.

Chester

May 23, 2016
Of course our salvation depends on our works. If you say otherwise, you're picking what scriptures you want to believe and ignoring the rest. Salvation by faith alone is a different gospel, a demonic one.

"But someone will say, 'You have faith and I have deeds.' Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. You believe that God is one. Good for you! Even the demons believe that—and shudder."—James 2:18-19

"And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done."—Revelation 20:12
Paul says in Ephesians 2:8,9 that salvation is by grace through faith, and is not of works. A true faith will produce works, of differing amounts, but if there are no works then there is no faith. And nowhere in Scripture is salvation said to be by faith alone.

While I do not agree with those that teach a "salvation by faith alone" gospel, I would not say it is a "different" gospel or a demonic one. Most times those holding to this doctrine have a solid basis in believing in Jesus Christ for salvation: that is the core of the gospel (good news). But I do concur that this doctrine is in error and is dangerous in that it can lead to mediocrity, lukewarmness, and a constant struggle with assurance of salvation.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Hebrews 6:4-6
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Why is this used as a proof text for people losing salvation?

Shouldn't it say WHEN they shall fall away if it were proof of it happening?

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
@eternally-gratefull

Your problem is John tells us exactly who they are. He tells them they were people who were part of the church. Who now are people who deny Christ. And the father who sent them (he called them antichrist)
@Chester
Where I differ with your interpretation is quite simple: you say this text says that all people of all time who leave a church were never born again. I do not see that stated in the text at all.
Evening gentlemen.

I hope all is well with you.

Are we talking about

1 John 2:18-19

Deceptions of the Last Hour
18 Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come, by which we know that it is the last hour. 19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us.

We know it's a passage used to state that those who left were never saved on one side and on the other side they were saved but rejected lost faith.

So they were saved and no longer are saved.

One side of the coin they were never saved so OSAS (I don't like this phrase but will use it) will use this and the other is that they were saved but walked away, therefore debunks OSAS.

Here is my take on this.

The passage talks about antichrists who left the church but they were not of us because if they were they would never have left.

For me the crucial point is "Antichrists"

Who was John addressing here?
The gnostics?

I would say yes.

1 John 2:22-23
22 Who is a liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist who denies the Father and the Son. 23 Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father either; he who acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

Therefore for me they were not saved to start with.

As a result the passages cannot be used to debunk OSAS.

If they were saved to start with then surely John would have said so.

"They were saved but walked away and rejected Jesus"

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Paul says in Ephesians 2:8,9 that salvation is by grace through faith, and is not of works. A true faith will produce works, of differing amounts, but if there are no works then there is no faith. And nowhere in Scripture is salvation said to be by faith alone.

While I do not agree with those that teach a "salvation by faith alone" gospel, I would not say it is a "different" gospel or a demonic one. Most times those holding to this doctrine have a solid basis in believing in Jesus Christ for salvation: that is the core of the gospel (good news). But I do concur that this doctrine is in error and is dangerous in that it can lead to mediocrity, lukewarmness, and a constant struggle with assurance of salvation.
Interesting

If you don't mind I just want add v10

Ephesians 2:8-10
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

We are saved by faith alone nothing more and nothing less.

But do we need to consider this?

Romans 8:28-30
28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. 29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.

Can a believer who has suffered severe trauma suddenly produce works?

I would say no but as believer then God can work good in it and will conform them to the image of Jesus.

Healing.

Then they can do the good works prepared for them.

These good works are as a result of healing.

One who was sexually abused and God has healed them then will produce good works by walking those who were as well.

Just like me.

Chester

May 23, 2016
Interesting

If you don't mind I just want add v10

Ephesians 2:8-10
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

We are saved by faith alone nothing more and nothing less.
Maybe I am too simple but I just very baffled and confused here. You quote Eph. 2:8-10 that says we are saved "by grace through faith," and then you turn around and say "We are saved by faith alone nothing more and nothing less." ????? The text mentions grace and faith and then you insist that it is faith only and thus no grace at all! And if it is "faith and nothing more and nothing less" it also leaves out the cross and the blood and the resurrection . . .?

Now I suppose you will say you do not mean it that way at all - and I can accept that - but then why do you use such language when you don't mean what you say??

I like to say it something like this: We are saved by grace through faith, not by works, and so God is able to do His works through us.

E

eternally-gratefull

@eternally-gratefull

@Chester

Evening gentlemen.

I hope all is well with you.

Are we talking about

1 John 2:18-19

Deceptions of the Last Hour
18 Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come, by which we know that it is the last hour. 19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us.

We know it's a passage used to state that those who left were never saved on one side and on the other side they were saved but rejected lost faith.

So they were saved and no longer are saved.

One side of the coin they were never saved so OSAS (I don't like this phrase but will use it) will use this and the other is that they were saved but walked away, therefore debunks OSAS.

Here is my take on this.

The passage talks about antichrists who left the church but they were not of us because if they were they would never have left.

For me the crucial point is "Antichrists"

Who was John addressing here?
The gnostics?

I would say yes.

1 John 2:22-23
22 Who is a liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist who denies the Father and the Son. 23 Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father either; he who acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

Therefore for me they were not saved to start with.

As a result the passages cannot be used to debunk OSAS.

If they were saved to start with then surely John would have said so.

"They were saved but walked away and rejected Jesus"
Amen

People do this today.. I would not call them Gnostics. I would call them something else. But the truth is the same They were never of us

Chester

May 23, 2016
Can a believer who has suffered severe trauma suddenly produce works?

I would say no but as believer then God can work good in it and will conform them to the image of Jesus.

Healing.

Then they can do the good works prepared for them.

These good works are as a result of healing.

One who was sexually abused and God has healed them then will produce good works by walking those who were as well.

Just like me.
There will surely be differences in the good works produced by God in a person, but I would say even a believer who has suffered severe trauma will produce some level of good works.

The thief on the cross testified - I would call that a good work.

E

eternally-gratefull

I agree very much that we have this problem today: and it is a BIG problem today. There are many people who join a church without ever being born again - and then they have a mediocre, dull life, and then of course soon turn and leave the church, having never been born again and finding a relationship at all.

I just take the word for what it says

ANYONE at all times, who walked with the church, then left. And now deny Christ. (A non believer) We’re never of us (saved)

Not everyone who leaves a local church Denys christ, I left for 5 years. I never denied Christ. So that passage was not talking to me or any other prodigal child who left the church for whatever reason. EXCEPT they now deny christ. (A non believer)

Aug 4, 2021
Maybe I am too simple but I just very baffled and confused here. You quote Eph. 2:8-10 that says we are saved "by grace through faith," and then you turn around and say "We are saved by faith alone nothing more and nothing less." ????? The text mentions grace and faith and then you insist that it is faith only and thus no grace at all! And if it is "faith and nothing more and nothing less" it also leaves out the cross and the blood and the resurrection . . .?

Now I suppose you will say you do not mean it that way at all - and I can accept that - but then why do you use such language when you don't mean what you say??

I like to say it something like this: We are saved by grace through faith, not by works, and so God is able to do His works through us.
Good point, what is grace? Language barrier. Regarding the point, the verse should stand on solid ground if pasted

BillG

Feb 15, 2017

Oh no my friend, it's all about grace.
Sorry if I did not make that point clear.

We are saved by grace through faith and definitely not by works but to do good works.

I was just a bit confused by

Your quote

Which is why I posted Vs 10.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
You quoted Luke 9:62, putting a hand to the plow and looking back, as an alleged proof for a loss of salvation. However, Luke 9:62 doesn't say they lose salvation. Clearly it's a warning to not look back, but you don't know what it means to be "unfit for the kingdom of God."
This is a classic example. What will it take for you to understand what "unfit for the kingdom of God means?"

If I said you are unfit for military service, what would that mean? It means your out, we can't use you, go away. Now, if a person repents and changes his or her ways, then they might be able to become fit for service, as we saw with Mark in the book of Acts. But what this verse shows is that a person can look back, become unfit to the point that the Lord has no use for them.