ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 12, 2014
What does Paul mean by "one baptism" or what is Paul's point in saying "one baptism"?

What does "one" mean?

What does "baptism" mean?

notuptome

May 17, 2013
In context and in harmony with the original language it is referring to Holy Spirit baptism. The one and only baptism that saves. The baptism that only God through Christ can administer.

You know the Holy Spirit baptism you refuse to believe in. The Holy Spirit the Comforter, the third person in the Godhead.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Mar 12, 2014
In context and in harmony with the original language it is referring to Holy Spirit baptism. The one and only baptism that saves. The baptism that only God through Christ can administer.

You know the Holy Spirit baptism you refuse to believe in. The Holy Spirit the Comforter, the third person in the Godhead.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

The verse does not say "one Holy Spirit baptism". As Atwood would post:
[No Holy Spirit in the verse]

What in the immediate context implies the verse refers to some kind of figurative spirit baptism and not literal water baptism.

And how many is one?

1 Cor 1:14,16 and 1 Cor 12:13 - do both refer to one baptism or two different baptisms?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
one means "singular"

baptizo literally means "immersion" and culturally (with H[SUB]2[/SUB]O) was a ritual act signifying identification with a particular master/teacher/precept with regards to discipleship, having roots in the Levitical ceremonial washing for the purposes of ritual purity and cleanness, used ceremonially for the sanctification and setting apart of priests for particular religious service.

Jesus referred to His work at the cross as "baptism" (Mark 10:38-39, Luke 12:50)

Peter identified the giving of the Holy Spirit as "baptism" (Acts 11:15-16)

Paul refers to the exodus as "baptism" (1 Corinthians 10:2)

John the Baptist drew a sharp distinction between his "baptism" - with H[SUB]2[/SUB]O - and Christ's "baptism" - with spirit and fire (Matthew 3:11, Luke 3:16)

notuptome

May 17, 2013
The verse does not say "one Holy Spirit baptism". As Atwood would post:
[No Holy Spirit in the verse]

What in the immediate context implies the verse refers to some kind of figurative spirit baptism and not literal water baptism.

And how many is one?

1 Cor 1:14,16 and 1 Cor 12:13 - do both refer to one baptism or two different baptisms?
Your aversion to the Holy Spirit is very telling.

John 20...Jesus breathed on them and said receive ye the Holy Spirit.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Mar 12, 2014
Your aversion to the Holy Spirit is very telling.

John 20...Jesus breathed on them and said receive ye the Holy Spirit.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Your aversion to Christ's water baptism is very telling.

F.F. Bruce: “baptism in the New Testament is always baptism in water unless the context shows it to be something else; that is to say, the word is always to be understood literally unless the context indicates a figurative meaning(Questions Answered, p. 106).

There is nothing in the context that suggests it refers to "spirit baptism" F.F. Bruce goes on to say "If 'one baptism' here had meant Spirit-baptism to the exclusion of water baptism, it would have been associated with `one Spirit,' and not with `one Lord'." The Epistle to the Ephesians (Old Tappan, New Jersey: Fleming H. Revell Company, 1961), p. 80.

Does 1 Cor 1:14,16 and 1 Cor 12:13 refer to ONE water baptism or TWO different baptisms?

Mar 12, 2014
one means "singular"

baptizo literally means "immersion" and culturally (with H[SUB]2[/SUB]O) was a ritual act signifying identification with a particular master/teacher/precept with regards to discipleship, having roots in the Levitical ceremonial washing for the purposes of ritual purity and cleanness, used ceremonially for the sanctification and setting apart of priests for particular religious service.

Jesus referred to His work at the cross as "baptism" (Mark 10:38-39, Luke 12:50)

Peter identified the giving of the Holy Spirit as "baptism" (Acts 11:15-16)

Paul refers to the exodus as "baptism" (1 Corinthians 10:2)

John the Baptist drew a sharp distinction between his "baptism" - with H[SUB]2[/SUB]O - and Christ's "baptism" - with spirit and fire (Matthew 3:11, Luke 3:16)

So one baptism is one literal immersion...a literal immersion in literal water.

"One" is singular so what singular baptism is found in 1 Cor 1;14,16 and 1 Cor 12:13?

M

Matt1626

What does Paul mean by "one baptism" or what is Paul's point in saying "one baptism"?

What does "one" mean?

Well if we take the bible literally as I do them it means what it says

One baptism
you should not get baptized multiple times, some churches do this
One lord
only one god
one faith
Denominationalism is a false system and there is only one true church

Mar 12, 2014
Well if we take the bible literally as I do them it means what it says

One baptism
you should not get baptized multiple times, some churches do this
One lord
only one god
one faith
Denominationalism is a false system and there is only one true church

....and if there is ONE baptism then the baptism of 1 Cor 12:13 and 1 Cor 1:14,16 are both the same, ONE baptism?

Mar 4, 2013

What does "one" mean?

Baptism is to be fully immersed and/or enveloped in any given situation. In Christ it is to be fully immersed with the Holy Spirit and cleansed by the fire, i.e. continuously refined and purified.

Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

May 2, 2014

What does "one" mean?

The context is about unity and by saying one baptism I submit that Paul is referring to that baptism which they all partook of, repent and be baptized and you shall receive the gift of the Holy spirit.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Your aversion to Christ's water baptism is very telling.

F.F. Bruce: “baptism in the New Testament is always baptism in water unless the context shows it to be something else; that is to say, the word is always to be understood literally unless the context indicates a figurative meaning(Questions Answered, p. 106).

There is nothing in the context that suggests it refers to "spirit baptism" F.F. Bruce goes on to say "If 'one baptism' here had meant Spirit-baptism to the exclusion of water baptism, it would have been associated with `one Spirit,' and not with `one Lord'." The Epistle to the Ephesians (Old Tappan, New Jersey: Fleming H. Revell Company, 1961), p. 80.

Does 1 Cor 1:14,16 and 1 Cor 12:13 refer to ONE water baptism or TWO different baptisms?
There you go again. Saying things that are not true. I have no problem with water baptism. I only have a problem with water baptism being necessary for salvation.

Holy Spirit baptism is the only baptism necessary for salvation. One baptism that saves. Many washings to proclaim devotion to purity and holiness to God.

Water washes the body outside. The Holy Spirit quickens the soul inside.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

N

Nick1939

There you go again. Saying things that are not true. I have no problem with water baptism. I only have a problem with water baptism being necessary for salvation.

Holy Spirit baptism is the only baptism necessary for salvation. One baptism that saves. Many washings to proclaim devotion to purity and holiness to God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
NOTUPTOME, I would like to know that if you don't have any problem with water baptism why are you being
baptized in water if it is not necessary for salvation ? or have you not being baptized in water yet; and if not please consider
the following verses .
first John the Baptist and Jesus Mat3:13-16 second Mat 21:25 third Mark 16:16 fourth Acts 2 :38 fifth 1 Pet 3:21
men are commanded to do water baptism Mat 28:19 the Lord does spirit baptism and fire Mat 3 :11
NOTICE the phrase HE shall baptize you. ( the Lord will do that not men ) God bless.......

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
In water baptism God (without co-operation with the recipient) is at work through the Holy Spirit, with water as a means conferring grace to the believers, the Elect.

There is a subtle despise against water baptism among many christians. I wonder if not the origin of it is to be found within the gnostic mindset...something "physical" cannot provide the spiritual. That would not be spiritual enough.

God, however, has chosen this form of the New Covenant sign and seal, with same function as circumcision had in the Old Covenant.

D

dalconn

Paul said a sign of a mature believer is one who puts these elementary doctrines behind him and grows into his or her ministry (paraphrasing)

Mar 12, 2014

For the cause of Christ
Roger
If water baptism is not necessary to being saved, then why should anyone be water baptized, as the eunuch was?

You say you have no problem with water baptism but think people are spirit baptized, but that is TWO baptisms not ONE.

Again, is the baptism in 1 Cor 1:14,16 the same one baptism of 1 Cor 12:13?

Mar 12, 2014
Paul said a sign of a mature believer is one who puts these elementary doctrines behind him and grows into his or her ministry (paraphrasing)
Paul is not saying to depart from or abandoned the first principles but to build upon the foundation of the first principles.

All the various religious groups contradict each other, even on the 'elementary doctrines' so how can they move on from what they cannot even agree upon? How they move on to more advanced things when not even able to agree upon what are suppose to be simple things?

Mar 12, 2014

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Addendum:

Do you have a problem with water baptism being commanded by God? Can man disobey God's commands (unrighteousness) and be saved anyway?

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Addendum:

Do you have a problem with water baptism being commanded by God? Can man disobey God's commands (unrighteousness) and be saved anyway?
The command to be baptized is Holy Spirit not water. This is the lynch pin of your error.

Salvation is a heart matter. Holy Spirit baptism is a heart matter. Water baptism is a Jewish tradition.

Even today when a Jewish person claims to be saved by grace through faith in Christ the Messiah his friends and family will endeavor to persuade him or her to recant right up and until he or she receives water baptism. After water baptism they are considered dead and separated from the Jewish religion.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
So one baptism is one literal immersion...a literal immersion in literal water.

is it H[SUB]2[/SUB]O we ought to walk in and remain in, or Christ?

should we encourage each other not to leave our bathtubs, or not to let our feet stray from the Way?

H[SUB]2[/SUB]O didn't wash away my sin. the blood of Jesus Christ did. it is in Him we ought to be immersed, and in Him we ought to dwell, and in Him we receive redemption, sanctification, justification, and the eternal promise and hope which IS Him.

here is where my soul was redeemed:
hqdefault.jpg

not here:
imgres.jpg