One Talent

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I

ieuan

Well guys, I thought this thread was closed, however.
Was the 3rd man saved? Look at Mathew 25:29-30:

29 For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance.
But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.
30 And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness.
In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

So unless the unprofitable servant is saved before death this is where he goes to,
a place of gnashing of teeth. The scripture points out the place where unprofitable
servants go, i.e. the lost. The lesson is unless we are born again of the Spirit our end is hell.

Wishful thinking will not change this judgment from the Lord.

PennEd has already quoted this verse, thanks PennEd.

Dec 9, 2011

So unless the unprofitable servant is saved before death this is where he goes to,
a place of gnashing of teeth. The scripture points out the place where unprofitable
servants go, i.e. the lost. The lesson is unless we are born again of the Spirit our end is hell.

It sounds like that scripture Is saying If you are born again of Incorruptible seed that more will be given and If you are not then you will lose.

DB7

Dec 29, 2014
I would be more careful regarding who you judge a flake, especially if you can't prove that it didn't come from the LORD.

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.1 Thess 5:21

If you can't prove it then you are just making an faithless assumption.

I didn't tell any Christian to do anything, so excuse me if I don't understand your words without knowledge.

So are you telling your friends not to believe every person, but to test them to see whether they are from God?

I wouldn't pull out scripture especially when your words lack any truth, which anyone can examine by reviewing what I said and what you claim I said.
UA, excuse the harsh words but your response to stained remark was simply, '...why not from God, how can one know?...'. I did explain why it wasn't from God, and how it resembled the tactic of every charlatan. Why did you disregard that?
I said:
Smarten up, there are a myriad of ways to know the difference of where a message comes from, it must be wise, inline with scripture, edifying, and glorify God! I demonstrated that Stained's interpretation lacked precision, and thus was too vague that it did not extrapolate the exclusive meaning of the text. Read horoscopes and see how vague they are, or Benny Hinn's revelations and messages from God, same principle.

Why are you so complacent about people claiming that every frivolous thought that passes through their head, is from God? And your response is, 'why not, how can we know?' You can't tell the difference between heresy and truth, or you don't care?
I don't mean to be nasty to anyone, but this is serious. I'm not even telling Stained that it was heresy, but simply that it most likely wasn't from God, and therefore he needs to be careful.
You see UA, when people say it came fro the Lord, that it means it's dogma, it means that it can't be refuted and that we all must accept it. Is Stained willing to say that? Just the fact that he said that 'you can except this or not, that's ok', shows that he didn't honour what the Lord told him, and instead, warn us to pay heed as anyone with God-given truth is obliged to do.
Nothing added up AU, that's how we know that it's not from God!

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
well, that's not how it works :)
we put the threads out there, and they goes where they will go - we don't control anything by fiat or own the right everyone else has to comment. it's not the same as having a blog that you can turn on/off comments for. there are times for everything, yes? and we don't set them

you're presupposing the 4th servant in the parable of the minahs = the third ground in the parable of the sower.
but i don't see how that connection is made. the last in the parable of the talents is the one who called his Master evil and who 'had nothing' - from whom it was taken away. in the parable of the sower and the seeds, only the first ground has the seed taken away: what was sown along the path. on the rocky places, and in the thorns, the seed was not taken away - the growth was stifled.
i still say the 4th servant is the parallel to the 1st ground.

When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path.
(Matthew 13:19)
this worthless, wicked servant who accuses the Master of evil did not understand the word that came to him, and even what he did have was taken away from him because he had nothing: no knowledge of God, which is life. in the other three grounds, the seeds sprang to life - life which had varying success according to the ability it had given its circumstance. they never did in the path; the seed of life was taken away by the birds.

I

ieuan

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
THIS THREAD IS CLOSED
That's just not how it works. Only a Moderator or Administrator can close the thread. If you don't want to participate further in the thread, you are free to ignore it. :)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
my wife reminds me today, that this passage is also parallel to the parable of the Sower and the seeds:

If any of your people — Hebrew men or women — sell themselves to you and serve you six years, in the seventh year you must let them go free. And when you release them, do not send them away empty-handed. Supply them liberally from your flock, your threshing floor and your winepress. Give to them as the LORD your God has blessed you. Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and the LORD your God redeemed you. That is why I give you this command today.
(Deuteronomy 15:12-15)
because with this commandment is also given the explanation, as Christ explained the parable of the Sower to the disciples. we have been talking about whether the man who buried the gold meant to steal it - as there is a parallel to Achan burying the beautiful Babylonian garment that was in Jericho. there is also the theme of theft in the seeds which the birds take from the roadside: the one snatching away the message of the Truth from those who have no understanding. the wicked servant lies about who the Master is, doesn't he also lie about why he buried the weight of gold? he is a servant and the gold is a debt he owes to his Master: the Master has been gone a long time - as though hidden, Himself btw; i know Someone who was hidden in the earth for a short while ;) - so why does this man bury the gold? is he hoping the 7th year will arrive and the 'debt' be cancelled ((re: Deuteronomy 15:1)) - that he will be set free and take what is the Masters away with him?

Sep 3, 2016
How can that be even valid, since the Church (the Body of Christ) consists of the saved ones? Looks like Jimmy S. is not helping you much.
Please read this and study this because the time is near!

Your Word for Today

"Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God’s Righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the Righteousness of God (Rom. 10:1-3).

The main purpose of the Holy Spirit giving us, through Paul, Chapters 9 through 11 of Romans was not, as stated, for Prophetical analysis, even though that, in measure, was given, but rather to warn the Church. If the Church follows in Israel’s footsteps by being ignorant of God’s Righteousness or by refusing God’s Righteousness, attempting, as Israel, to establish its own righteousness, the Church will be cut off just as Israel was cut off.

Concerning this, Paul said, “For if God spared not the natural branches (Israel), take heed lest He also spare not you (refers to the Church, as is obvious). Behold, therefore the goodness and severity of God (don’t mistake the Goodness of God for license): on them which fell, severity (speaks of Judgment which came on Israel, God’s chosen People); but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His Goodness (proclaims the conditions; the continuing of that “Goodness” pertains to continued Faith in Christ and the Cross): otherwise you also shall be cut off” (Rom. 11:21-22).

“God’s Righteousness” is that which is afforded by Jesus Christ, gained by and through the Cross. The only way that God’s Righteousness can be given to anyone is by virtue of the Cross, which demands Faith on the part of the recipient. If one attempts to gain righteousness by any other manner, the Lord refers to it as “self-righteousness,” and it is unacceptable — totally unacceptable!

I ask the following question:

How much is the modern Church preaching the Cross? The answer screams back at us, “Precious little!”

The Church has already apostatized. The Church Age opened with Christ standing in the midst of the candlesticks, in which the candlesticks represent the Church (Rev. 1:12-13). At the close of the Church Age, which pertains to the present time, we no longer find Christ in the midst of the Church, but rather outside, knocking on the door, trying to get it (Rev. 3:17-20). The Lord is, in fact, no longer dealing with the institutionalized Church as a whole, but rather with individuals only.

To be sure, the Lord has always dealt with individuals, but now it is only individuals.

“If any man hear My Voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me” (Rev. 3:20). So, who presently is saved?

It is the same now as it was with Israel of old.

Paul said, “Even so then at this present time (Paul’s day) also there is a Remnant according to the election of Grace (definitely speaks of Predestination, but not as many think; it is the “Remnant” that is elected or predestined, not who will be in the Remnant).

“And if by Grace (the Goodness of God, all made possible by the Cross), then is it no more of works (no one can point to their works as grounds for Salvation): otherwise Grace is no more Grace (if works are mixed with Grace, they nullify Grace). But if it be of works, then is it no more Grace (works can never produce Grace): otherwise work is no more work” (for example, Water Baptism, if acted upon wrongly, nullifies its true meaning; this also holds true for all other great Ordinances of the Lord) (Rom. 11:5-6).

As there was a “Remnant” in Israel who were saved, meaning that most were lost, likewise, there also is a “Remnant” in the modern Church who are saved, but only a Remnant. Israel had rejected much of that which was of the Lord, but when they rejected the Cross, there was nothing left. They were cut off. The modern Church has done the same thing. It has rejected much which is of the Lord, but now it is rejecting the Cross. As with Israel, if the Cross is rejected, that means the Righteousness of God is rejected, and that means the Church is also cut off — except for the “Remnant.”

Are you in the Remnant?

The only way that anyone can be in the Remnant is by accepting Christ and what Christ did at the Cross. There is no other way!"’

—Donnie Swaggart (taken from the “Word for Every Day”)
Donnie Swaggart

UnoiAmarah

Jul 28, 2017
UA, excuse the harsh words but your response to stained remark was simply, '...why not from God, how can one know?...'.
Again, you are misrepresenting what I wrote.

There is no reason to believe that if a person claims to have received a gift of knowledge from God that their testimony didn't come from anywhere other than from the LORD.
What I said was that there is no reason to believe that the person didn’t receive their testimony from the LORD, of course that testimony can even include their interpretation of scripture, or prophesy of scripture if you will. The reason that there is no reason to believe that the person didn’t receive their testimony from the LORD is the precept written in Eziek 14:9;

"And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the LORD have deceived that prophet...

You see UA, when people say it came fro the Lord, that it means it's dogma, it means that it can't be refuted and that we all must accept it.
No I don’t see where I have to accept that it can’t be refuted or that we all must accept it. But what I do see is that you are claiming to be speaking for the LORD by your statements. Moreover, I can see where your words contradict what I know and have seen to be the truth.

We, by which I mean those who serve the LORD who is the God of truth, are only required to abide with the words of someone who claims that they are the word of the LORD if they are the truth.

I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. 19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him. Deut 18:18-19

Does that mean everything a person claims that the LORD told them is the truth, of course not as I referenced in my initial statement.

Does that mean that their testimony is unquestionably the truth, that is a question which those of faith should 'walk in wisdom toward the believer...' as written in Colossians 4:5. The account of Medad and Eldad in the book of Numbers is a good talking point regarding expressing one's beliefs.
Are you familiar with the account of Medad and Eldad in scripture?

Sometimes the reason isn’t in what is said but why it is said.

DB7

Dec 29, 2014
Again, you are misrepresenting what I wrote.

What I said was that there is no reason to believe that the person didn’t receive their testimony from the LORD, of course that testimony can even include their interpretation of scripture, or prophesy of scripture if you will. The reason that there is no reason to believe that the person didn’t receive their testimony from the LORD is the precept written in Eziek 14:9;

"And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the LORD have deceived that prophet...

No I don’t see where I have to accept that it can’t be refuted or that we all must accept it. But what I do see is that you are claiming to be speaking for the LORD by your statements. Moreover, I can see where your words contradict what I know and have seen to be the truth.

We, by which I mean those who serve the LORD who is the God of truth, are only required to abide with the words of someone who claims that they are the word of the LORD if they are the truth.

I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. 19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him. Deut 18:18-19

Does that mean everything a person claims that the LORD told them is the truth, of course not as I referenced in my initial statement.

Are you familiar with the account of Medad and Eldad in scripture?

Sometimes the reason isn’t in what is said but why it is said.
For crying out loud UA, you're talking in circles and in generalities! Why are you so trepid to call someone out for their irreverence?
BTW, yes, I'm familiar with Medad & Eldad prophesying in the name of Lord, but not joining the rest in the tent. Moses was fine with it.

But, back to the point, I EXPLAINED WHY IT WAS INVALID! The below is from my previous post.

I did explain why it wasn't from God, and how it resembled the tactic of every charlatan.
I said:
Smarten up, there are a myriad of ways to know the difference of where a message comes from, it must be wise, inline with scripture, edifying, and glorify God! I demonstrated that Stained's interpretation lacked precision, and thus was too vague that it did not extrapolate the exclusive meaning of the text. Read horoscopes and see how vague they are, or Benny Hinn's revelations and messages from God, same principle.

You can't tell the difference between heresy and truth, or you don't care?
Just the fact that he said that 'you can except this or not, that's ok', shows that he didn't honour what the Lord told him, which instead, he should've warn us to pay heed as anyone with God-given truth is obliged to do.

The only reason that I can see why that you are supporting this, is because you probably do this yourself, claim that God told you something, in order to prove that your blessed by God. Meanwhile, it was complete nonsense that proceeded from your mouth.
I'm not trying to be abusive, but this is typically the motive when people make these claims, and it never fails that their alleged revelations are always meaningless, nonsense or too vague to take seriously. (that's how we know that their deluded and not speaking from God)
I'm done, thanks!

TLC209

Mar 20, 2019
Merced, CA
For crying out loud UA, you're talking in circles and in generalities! Why are you so trepid to call someone out for their irreverence?
BTW, yes, I'm familiar with Medad & Eldad prophesying in the name of Lord, but not joining the rest in the tent. Moses was fine with it.

But, back to the point, I EXPLAINED WHY IT WAS INVALID! The below is from my previous post.

I did explain why it wasn't from God, and how it resembled the tactic of every charlatan.
I said:

You can't tell the difference between heresy and truth, or you don't care?
Just the fact that he said that 'you can except this or not, that's ok', shows that he didn't honour what the Lord told him, which instead, he should've warn us to pay heed as anyone with God-given truth is obliged to do.

The only reason that I can see why that you are supporting this, is because you probably do this yourself, claim that God told you something, in order to prove that your blessed by God. Meanwhile, it was complete nonsense that proceeded from your mouth.
I'm not trying to be abusive, but this is typically the motive when people make these claims, and it never fails that their alleged revelations are always meaningless, nonsense or too vague to take seriously. (that's how we know that their deluded and not speaking from God)
I'm done, thanks!
Acts 2:17 In the last days,’ God says, ‘I will pour out my Spirit upon all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy. Your young men will see visions, and your old men will dream dreams.

If these sons and dauthers and old men tell you something that they received from the Lord, we should not discredit them as charlatains as you claim sir.

I dont disagree that there are benny hinns and the like of such deceiving men, but we can test the spirits and also see if things line up with scripture.

The brother Stained made a really good observation and his revelation that he recieved from the Lord provided great insight to the parable. I greatly respect his contribution to the OP.

As for you I dont know you well enough to make any observations except for this continual dialoge to discredit anyone who receives something from the Lord and this contradicts scripture. Based on that alone I would speculate that you speak from the flesh and the Spirit of God is not in you. I could go further but like I said I do not know you.

DB7

Dec 29, 2014
Acts 2:17 In the last days,’ God says, ‘I will pour out my Spirit upon all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy. Your young men will see visions, and your old men will dream dreams.

If these sons and dauthers and old men tell you something that they received from the Lord, we should not discredit them as charlatains as you claim sir.

I dont disagree that there are benny hinns and the like of such deceiving men, but we can test the spirits and also see if things line up with scripture.

The brother Stained made a really good observation and his revelation that he recieved from the Lord provided great insight to the parable. I greatly respect his contribution to the OP.

As for you I don't know you well enough to make any observations except for this continual dialoge to discredit anyone who receives something from the Lord and this contradicts scripture. Based on that alone I would speculate that you speak from the flesh and the Spirit of God is not in you. I could go further but like I said I do not know you.
I said be careful to him, i didn't at first say charlatan but the conversation got so stupid I just had to say his views were not inspired., i gave the reasons why, and you didn't address one of them. I am not going to repeat them.
You sound credulous, and it appears that you lack insight if you can't tell the difference. Like I said, don't speak in generalities, i know that the spirit is offered, but if you're going to claim that you have it, you better prove it, don't exalt yourself.
You are clearly unable to refute the reasons that I gave, ...address my reasons, don't come here and say the obvious, '...that the spirit is available...' Prove to me who has it, and quit the nonsense by saying, 'hey, why not', or 'who knows, who are you to say'. It makes you sound simple and lacking perception. Show reverence for God's word.
My point was, i don't mind the insight that Stained gave, JUST DON'T SAY IT WAS FROM LORD, unless you're willing to say that everyone agree, or that they're defying the Lord if they don't.
DO YOU GET THE POINT!!!

TLC209

Mar 20, 2019
Merced, CA
I said be careful to him, i didn't at first say charlatan but the conversation got so stupid I just had to say his views were not inspired., i gave the reasons why, and you didn't address one of them. I am not going to repeat them.
You sound credulous, and it appears that you lack insight if you can't tell the difference. Like I said, don't speak in generalities, i know that the spirit is offered, but if you're going to claim that you have it, you better prove it, don't exalt yourself.
You are clearly unable to refute the reasons that I gave, ...address my reasons, don't come here and say the obvious, '...that the spirit is available...' Prove to me who has it, and quit the nonsense by saying, 'hey, why not', or 'who knows, who are you to say'. It makes you sound simple and lacking perception. Show reverence for God's word.
My point was, i don't mind the insight that Stained gave, JUST DON'T SAY IT WAS FROM LORD, unless you're willing to say that everyone agree, or that they're defying the Lord if they don't.
DO YOU GET THE POINT!!!
Yes you made my point very clear. YOU DO NOT HAVE THE HOLY SPIRIT! Do you understand my point?? You dont have any reason to be giving your carnal opinion to Spiritual truth! Do you understand that?? Your words are all carnal and offensive. You speak from your flesh. You can read Galatians 5.

I

ieuan

Is this thread still going?
Amazing.

This is my take on my own questions.

The parable on the talents and the parable of the Sower have the same intent: to show that
God is gracious to all his cretaures, he feeds the lions in their den, he sends the rain,
the warmth to swell the ground. This called providence - God provides all thing to sustain life.

Have you ever wonderd why animals take care of their own young, love them, feed them even
give their life to save their onw kind. It is God's grace.

There are basically two types of grace:
1. a general grace called common - meaning general; given in different degrees to all men and even the animal kingdom.

2. there is a common grace given to people who live in Christian societies and/ or attend church, they get a blessing
from mixing with God's people, they benefit from a Christian society. These first two cases the people are never saved.
They live productive and happy lives, they acrue goodness all their days but never thank God, never truly saved, not
born again of the spirit. They fall away and die in their sin. They may appear good people, behave impeccably in
public, but their hearts do not praise God or give Him honour, these are referred to in the bible as dead., they are blind
and deaf to the Word, their mouths are silent and never open in praise. They may sing the psalms, but it is just lip service.

3. There is another grace given by God to His people, special effectual saving grace. You see it in Ezekial. I will take away
your stony heart of man and give you a heart of flesh to praise God and do my commandments (paraphrasing).
Once armed with the new heart, this gift is not merely offered it is implanted and without any permission of the recipient.
He/she is implanted with a new heart, the old heart is discarded. The person is then led by the Holy Spirit into the way
of salvation and eventually or straight away, changed in conversion. Conversion means repentance of sin.
An abhorrence of sin, a turning away from sin, a new life, a new creature. And will never fall away, not true repentance.
Because it is God that saves, not us alone, but God. Although we do cooperate in the work of salvation. nevertheless
the penalty has been paid, we are seen a righteous. Isn't that glorious, it is Amen.