opinions please

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 29, 2012
Please discuss from a biblical point of view.

that pic.jpg

D

Depleted

I heard:

"Nothing is wrong with you," when I was doubled over in pain.

"You were denied Disability," yet couldn't work.

"This is a pre-existing condition, so we're denying your claim," from health insurance people we got after going on Welfare. No kidding, it was a pre-existing condition. That's why we lost all our money, to stop him from dying from it.

"...and he'll get a 14-inch incision from back to front, and one month in our hospital," right after being told cryoablation can remove the cancer in an out-patient procedure.

"I'm the internist for a 35-bed ICU, and he is my sickest patient. The night of his heart attack, he had a 10% chance at living. With this infection, he only has a 50% chance of surviving the night."

"The heart attack blasted off his micro-valve and the muscles holding it on."

"He is going home on Friday." "And do what? He's losing blood and can't even sit up, once more walk up the steps to get in our house or to go up the steps to bed or the bathroom." "Don't worry. We'll give you a hospital bed and commode for the living room, and if he's losing blood, he can come back for transfusions." (Let's just skip how I was supposed to know when he needed blood or lift him to do all this. :rolleyes:)

"He can't be tested to see if he can swallow to eat, until he can sit on that hard chair for two hours." (He had a stage 4 bedsore, the chair had been changed two years earlier, AND the test was only half an hour.)

"Since he hasn't used his bladder in 6 months, it will be a miracle if he's not living on catheters for the rest of his life." (The miracle happened. He was fine 18 hours after the catheter was removed.)

Negativity? There's no way of not hearing negativity. Peace does not come from clogging our ears. It comes from trusting God! HE IS OUR PEACE!

Stop buying the PC agenda.

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
Jesus didn't respond to most of the negativity during his trial, henceforth, his life didn't exactly get more peaceful.

If you tell a child not to respond to parental correction (negativity), peacefulness isn't usually the result. But if you take every hurtful comment to heart when there's no relevance to it, then its best to let it slide off your shoulders and keep your peace of mind.

Some negativity isn't necessary, but some is helpful and shouldn't be discarded. Someone says; I want to try and jump across the Grand Canyon, but I'm afraid. A friend replies; "Don't be so negative, go for it". :)

For every positive there's a negative, we need them both.

Apr 29, 2012
Thank you both - anyone else?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I think the poster is generally true, but I would add "in kind". The less you respond in kind to negativity, the more peaceful your life will become.

I say, "generally" because as Lynn described, negativity can come in many forms, and as Dan noted, there are some forms of negativity that require a response. Jesus' death on the cross is the ultimate example of a response to negativity!

The saying is too generic to broad application. Perhaps if it specified "negative attitudes and actions of others" it would be better. Responding kindly to a snarky restaurant server might get you better service (or it might not!).

Sometimes the correction we need comes in a negative package but that doesn't validate ignoring it. If your spouse is having a bad day, and barks at you that your outfit looks terrible, you would still be wise to check the mirror before leaving the house. Further, sometimes the sins of others toward us are the direct consequence of our sins toward them, and God's rebuke is hidden in their sarcasm and hurtful words.

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
I responded to the negative words "You have a cancerous tumor in your mouth and it is taking over..." by reframing it. I decided to call it the locust instead of cancer, based on scripture where the locust invaded the land before God blew them away and restored the land THAT THE LOCUST HAD EATEN.

Actually, God did that for me. But I learned the secret of reframing.

Even when someone gives me a negative attitude, I imagine them hurting inside and I'm not really the target. I usually do respond though by letting them know that I heard them in some way. I never defend myself - it just leads to more arguing. Sometimes silence is the best response because it gives them space to hear back in their own head what they just said. And that silence allows the Lord to maybe interject His own thoughts into the negative person (while you are inwardly praying)

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I heard:

"Nothing is wrong with you," when I was doubled over in pain.

"You were denied Disability," yet couldn't work.

"This is a pre-existing condition, so we're denying your claim," from health insurance people we got after going on Welfare. No kidding, it was a pre-existing condition. That's why we lost all our money, to stop him from dying from it.

"...and he'll get a 14-inch incision from back to front, and one month in our hospital," right after being told cryoablation can remove the cancer in an out-patient procedure.

"I'm the internist for a 35-bed ICU, and he is my sickest patient. The night of his heart attack, he had a 10% chance at living. With this infection, he only has a 50% chance of surviving the night."

"The heart attack blasted off his micro-valve and the muscles holding it on."

"He is going home on Friday." "And do what? He's losing blood and can't even sit up, once more walk up the steps to get in our house or to go up the steps to bed or the bathroom." "Don't worry. We'll give you a hospital bed and commode for the living room, and if he's losing blood, he can come back for transfusions." (Let's just skip how I was supposed to know when he needed blood or lift him to do all this. :rolleyes:)

"He can't be tested to see if he can swallow to eat, until he can sit on that hard chair for two hours." (He had a stage 4 bedsore, the chair had been changed two years earlier, AND the test was only half an hour.)

"Since he hasn't used his bladder in 6 months, it will be a miracle if he's not living on catheters for the rest of his life." (The miracle happened. He was fine 18 hours after the catheter was removed.)

Negativity? There's no way of not hearing negativity. Peace does not come from clogging our ears. It comes from trusting God! HE IS OUR PEACE!

Stop buying the PC agenda.
I believe we are on the same wavelength today. Lol

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
For me, it depends what the negative words are addressing before accepting. Some words I will change to promises of God. I try hard not to let people's doubts affect me, but we are yet human and our guard can be down.

Like Peter caught sleeping...

Others that are truth need to be addressed. Best to be tuned in to the Voice within.

Feb 5, 2017
Responding to negativity, even if it's just spilling a cup of tea over your brand new carpet, is invoking an emotional reaction. There is actually no point to it. I use this example because often when someone spills a drink, they become worried, mainly about someone being angry at them for it, they become worried of someone's emotional reaction.

Feb 5, 2017
Someone just stole your car?

Be still and know that I am God.

Girlfriend just dumped you?

Cat died?

Someone saying things you don't like?

The 'perception' of negativity is a sensitivity we have, but we do not have to engage with it. When we do, we are rejecting God, and often that negativity becomes us and we spiral. That is what an argument tends to be, a pointless rallying of emotion, until someone walks away, or someone says 'would you like a hug instead of arguing?'

Apr 29, 2012
Again, thanks to all replies - I really needed to hear these.

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
I love to give my opinion, of course it is always right, at least in my own eyes even if not anyone else's.... But isn't that an opinion? Listen we have One Hope, and if our Hope is not in Y-shua it is worthless. But thank G-d our Hope is the Creator of the universe, do you know what that means? He alone can make anything happen, even if it's wiggling His little pinky and perform a miracle. He is that big!!!! He spoke and created! So I speak and I speak to Him. He is an audience of one, my words go up to Him, the little humans don't matter if they get it I speak to the KING. Let your words be worthy of the KING.... that is what matters!!!