OT Salvation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

How were people saved in OT times (IOW, prior to the Lord's Crucifixion and Resurrection)?

• Keeping Torah/Obedience?

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Faith?

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • Animal Sacrifices?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No one was saved in OT times?

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
And I see the barely/scarcely as amount.

OK...but one must ask...If few are saved by entering into Christ (the saints) then how can there be so many people present in heaven? The promise to the righteous is that they will number as the stars.

Feb 21, 2012
Paul said it best when he quoted moses, and spoke of the faith of abraham

Gal 3: 6 just as Abraham “believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” 7 Therefore know that only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham. 8 And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.” 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham.
The Law Brings a Curse
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed iseveryone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.”

So there is no way 1 is correct, bcause the standard set by God when he gave the law was perfection, show me one person other than christ who fulfilled that standard,
All I know is that the scripture clearly says that their righteousness came from obedience to all the statutes the LORD commanded - "if we observe to do all these commandments". They couldn't do it, just as we can't do it . . . and that is why Jesus Christ came so that NOW righteousness comes through belief in him. The NT did not change Deut. 6:24,25. Was Galatians written TO Abraham or is it a church epistle? Was Deuteronomy written to OT saints? Then for them - righteousness came from observing all the commandments and for Abraham - faith was accounted unto him for righteousness as a foreshadowing of things to come through Jesus Christ [Galatians]. That's just how I see it without negating what was written in Deut. 6.

Sep 4, 2012
And I see the barely/scarcely as amount.

G3433 μόλις molis (mol'-is) adv.
1. with difficulty
In 1 Pet. 4:18 we have a quotation from Prov. 11:31 LXX. The sufferings of the age make great demands on believers, so that it is only with difficulty that they will survive the test and stand in the judgment. The author’s aim is to spur them on to faithfulness and impress on them their responsibility. - Theological Dictionary of the New Testament
If the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? Proverbs 11:31

E

eternally-gratefull

All I know is that the scripture clearly says that their righteousness came from obedience to all the statutes the LORD commanded - "if we observe to do all these commandments". They couldn't do it, just as we can't do it . . . and that is why Jesus Christ came so that NOW righteousness comes through belief in him. The NT did not change Deut. 6:24,25. Was Galatians written TO Abraham or is it a church epistle? Was Deuteronomy written to OT saints? Then for them - righteousness came from observing all the commandments and for Abraham - faith was accounted unto him for righteousness as a foreshadowing of things to come through Jesus Christ [Galatians]. That's just how I see it without negating what was written in Deut. 6.
Sis, paul quoted moses in deuteronomy,

Deuteronomy 27:26
Cursed is the one who does not confirm all the words of this law by observing them.’ “And all the peopleshall say, ‘Amen!’

Which means anyone who breakes even the least of the commands is cursed, no one has met that standard but christ,

Deut 6 is not talking about saving ones self, or salvation at all, it is talking about what it looks like to be rightepus people. They obey his commands, that goes for us too. We who are righteous obey God, but we are not, nor were they saved by obedince to any part of the law.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Some thoughts from Hebrews about salvation........................

.........Hebrews 9
.........22 ..Without shedding of blood there is no.forgiveness.
.........Hebrews 10
.........4 ..It is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

.........Hebrews 11
.........1 ..Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
.........2 ..For by it the men of old gained approval. ~[However]~
.........39 ..All these, having gained approval through their faith, did not receive what was promised,

.........40 ..because God had provided something better for us, so that apart from us they would not be made perfect.

~Deut

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
I believe they were saved because of their faith in what the messiah would do in the future. God is not bound by time.

Jul 2, 2018
The works that we do by the Spirit are impossible for the flesh to do.
Would you give an example of the works that we do by the Spirit that are impossible for the flesh to do?
The power gifts is all I can think of that would be impossible...

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
Would you give an example of the works that we do by the Spirit that are impossible for the flesh to do?
The power gifts is all I can think of that would be impossible...
The works that come from eternity...the eternal moments...the union with God. Through he Spirit we have an actual connection to God and all that entails....and this is impossible for the flesh to do.

When we see a visible miracle we should be asking...what kind of relationship would this kind of work warrant? (of course not all miracles come from a deep relationship since what people really want is just the miracle). I think too often we are looking for the outward signs...but ignoring the much deeper miracle of an intimate relationship with God. The works come and go...but the relationship and the love are eternal.

Jul 2, 2018
The works that come from eternity...the eternal moments...the union with God. Through he Spirit we have an actual connection to God and all that entails....and this is impossible for the flesh to do.

When we see a visible miracle we should be asking...what kind of relationship would this kind of work warrant? (of course not all miracles come from a deep relationship since what people really want is just the miracle). I think too often we are looking for the outward signs...but ignoring the much deeper miracle of an intimate relationship with God. The works come and go...but the relationship and the love are eternal.
Amen...union with God...only HE can do...
Thanks.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Some thoughts from Hebrews about salvation........................
.........Hebrews 9
.........22 ..Without shedding of blood there is no.forgiveness.
[/quote]
Hence there were animal sacrifices until Christ died on the Cross

Hebrews 10
.........4 ..It is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

Hence sins were only covered -- not taken away -- until Christ died on the Cross

.........Hebrews 11
.........1 ..Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
.........2 ..For by it the men of old gained approval. ~[However]~

"Obtained a good report" (KJB) actually translates into "were deemed righteous" and with the imputed righteousness of God. See Romans 4.

.........39 ..All these, having gained approval through their faith, did not receive what was promised,
What was promised was the Holy Spirit (under the New Covenant, as well as the blood of Christ applied to their souls), and that was after the resurrection of Christ

.........40 ..because God had provided something better for us, so that apart from us they would not be made perfect.
Which means that since the NT saints are washed in the blood of Christ and have received the gift of the Holy Spirit, the OT saints are now also "made perfect".

Please note: "...and to the spirits of just men made perfect..." (Heb 12:23, who are presently in the New Jerusalem.)

JUST MEN = JUSTIFIED MEN = THOSE WITH IMPUTED RIGHTEOUSNESS = SAVED MEN