Pasta survey

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I made a lasagna once with chicken and scallops :)

Tomato sauce dishes are often better after being re-heated :geek:

Err chicken and seafood? :eek:

I do think that the Tomato sauce thing is actually accurate because I have had some of my nicest bowls of spaghetti reheated from the fridge for whatever reason. Part of that reason for me though is because I don't feel compelled to eat it all and have leftovers for later so I may be biased ;)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Err chicken and seafood? :eek:

I do think that the Tomato sauce thing is actually accurate because I have had some of my nicest bowls of spaghetti reheated from the fridge for whatever reason. Part of that reason for me though is because I don't feel compelled to eat it all and have leftovers for later so I may be biased ;)
I almost always make enough for more than one meal :)

Especially the tomato sauce dishes ;)

If I cook a 500 gm package of spaghetti noodles, that is probably five meals :D

Ain't nothing wrong with having spaghetti for breakfast/brunch :giggle:

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I almost always make enough for more than one meal :)

Especially the tomato sauce dishes ;)

If I cook a 500 gm package of spaghetti noodles, that is probably five meals :D

Ain't nothing wrong with having spaghetti for breakfast/brunch :giggle:
well it seems healthier than potatoes for multiple meals at least.

I just had some Rotini? with beef and mozzarella. I didn't make it but it's certainly edible ;)

Feb 28, 2016
just a share with fellow carb and pasta lovers, etc. -
when hub and I cook, him mostly, 'he's the chef of our house' -
we always try to keep our (broths), for our next dishes/meals,
for they make the base of the flavor of what ever the next dish is...
the flavors make an extraordinary difference in TASTE/NUTRITION...
we always keep our potato water/pasta water/boiled chicken water/beef/greens, etc...

please, Brothers and Sisters, FEED yourselves with the things that will keep you in good health,
and able to 'fight-off' the infections that our world is inundating us with, for God has already given
us the 'tools' long ago, but it is up to us to 'fight the good fight', and love/care for our TEMPLES
as He desires us to do...

G

Godsgirl83

just a share with fellow carb and pasta lovers, etc. -
when hub and I cook, him mostly, 'he's the chef of our house' -
we always try to keep our (broths), for our next dishes/meals,
for they make the base of the flavor of what ever the next dish is...
the flavors make an extraordinary difference in TASTE/NUTRITION...
we always keep our potato water/pasta water/boiled chicken water/beef/greens, etc...

please, Brothers and Sisters, FEED yourselves with the things that will keep you in good health,
and able to 'fight-off' the infections that our world is inundating us with, for God has already given
us the 'tools' long ago, but it is up to us to 'fight the good fight', and love/care for our TEMPLES
as He desires us to do...
Thank you for always reminding us of these truths......
it's slowly sinking in :);)

up

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
hi good people😊
sooo, speaking of pasta, i cooked baked zitti tonight with extra meat sauce, mozzarella and added a hefty amount of riccotta cheese towards the end, for extra creaminess, what can I say even tho made Thanksgiving din-dins yesterday - and have a ton of left overs i still cooked, love cooking,.. I hope you all enjoy your meals t😁😁

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
well it seems healthier than potatoes for multiple meals at least.

I just had some Rotini? with beef and mozzarella. I didn't make it but it's certainly edible ;)
I just cooked some rotini, also :)

Some of it was high fiber, which my daughter bought for me :D

I fried up some ground turkey to go with it, because that
seemed a little more seasonally festive than ground beef ;)

I added organic butternut squash "noodles" to the meat sauce :)

As well as multiple cheeses (y)

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
Pasta is my favorite food. My grandma's family owns a bakery in Italy. I'm quarter Italian... I just can't give up pasta!

Maybe someday I'll post my grandma's spaghetti sauce recipe that takes 3 hours to simmer.

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
Cold potatoes?!? I guess I could eat "cool" rice or taters but refrigerated? Ach. Maybe mixed with some sour cream and some cheese I could blend it and make a Po-smoothie? I digress...
I would take those potatoes and make gnocchi

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
The flour used to make pasta overwhelms just about any other ingredient flavor in the pasta you use.
Commercially manufactured pasta is about as flavorless as they come. (Even the fresh ones)

Scratch pasta made from semolina and eggs is so good all you really need to dress it is a little butter and garlic.
(Newlywed wife wrinkled her nose at the suggestion until she tasted it only to be polite...I barely got what I put on my plate as she ate all I had made)

I've seen that people talking about tomato sauced pasta tasting better the next day as leftovers...
Well,
I'm here to tell you that if you go to the store and grab plum or roma tomatoes, peel and seed them and then puree them after cooking them with a little garlic, olive oil, basil, and S&P... you will discover that this pumpkin colored sauce is the richest and best flavored tomato sauce you ever put in your mouth. (Red tomatoes make pumpkin colored sauce...do it and you will see)

Real foods, made from scratch, don't need much of anything to be awesome. No tricks, no gimmicks, nothing fancy...they are awesome just plain.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I believe you will appreciate this italian lady and her American husband-

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
Well...Call this instant gratification but I just made pasta for perhaps the second or third time. I recall making it at least once before because who wouldn't at least try that if they like pasta?

The first time my noodles got waterlogged and just tasted like pasta-ish cylinders full of water about 8 years ago.

Fast forward to today. I read a few websites on how to do dis and even went on Quora to figure out how long to boil it for reading other people's opinions and STILL my pasta ended up barely palatable.

When my mother makes it (usually) it's great. Something I can eat without any sauce and just a little bit of butter and some parmesan and it's tasty but just feels like a lot of empty carbs.

I'll probably petition her to make me some and "data mine" her for how to do it myself but I'd like to hear from you all.

I'm not talking about the dish itself (tomato sauce, alfredo, meat etc.) just the noodles.

I suppose I could try an experiment twice a week noting down what portions I use and that may work but shortcuts are nice ;)

P.S I did salt the water with a few shakes of some himalayan salt. Brought it to a boil and then added the spaghetti and stirred every two minutes and it was probably on the stove for 7-8 mins. Still watery...

Don’t add the pasta until the water comes to a rapid boil- otherwise the outside will get mushy while the center remains hard. I don’t add anything to my water- not salt, not oil. The best way for the pasta to absorb water is to keep it thin pure water. They say you know it’s done when you throw a spaghetti noodle at the wall and it sticks instead of falls, but that’s not my method lol.

I watch it like a hawk towards the end, and I keep sampling one until it’s perfect, and I’ve simply come to know how long that is, so I put a timer on until the last couple of minutes, then I start sampling like I said. Immediately after draining very well, I stir in a very little olive oil to keep them from sticking. This also keeps hot pasta from absorbing hot sauce- which will make them softer than perfection, and dry out your meal. I don’t know about you, but I do not like my pasta el dente, or mushy.

Hope this helps.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I have seen cooking shows where the chef will "dry the pasta" after draining, put it back on the stove in a pan to carefully remove excess moisture, it keeps the pasta from leeching out water on the plate.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I have seen cooking shows where the chef will "dry the pasta" after draining, put it back on the stove in a pan to carefully remove excess moisture, it keeps the pasta from leeching out water on the plate.
I have found that dumping the pasta in a colander and shaking it a few times is sufficient to remove excess moisture.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Don’t add the pasta until the water comes to a rapid boil- otherwise the outside will get mushy while the center remains hard. I don’t add anything to my water- not salt, not oil. The best way for the pasta to absorb water is to keep it thin pure water. They say you know it’s done when you throw a spaghetti noodle at the wall and it sticks instead of falls, but that’s not my method lol.

I watch it like a hawk towards the end, and I keep sampling one until it’s perfect, and I’ve simply come to know how long that is, so I put a timer on until the last couple of minutes, then I start sampling like I said. Immediately after draining very well, I stir in a very little olive oil to keep them from sticking. This also keeps hot pasta from absorbing hot sauce- which will make them softer than perfection, and dry out your meal. I don’t know about you, but I do not like my pasta el dente, or mushy.

Hope this helps.
Helps me a lot. I used to add noodles immediately after putting the water in a pot and then turn the burner on. I will try your method. After I drain the cooked pasta in a colander I would return to the pot and add a little butter or margarine before serving. I was adding olive oil to the cooking water but I think that I will try adding it last and use that instead to butter or margarine. I'm not overly fond of el dente either for pasta or veggies. Yeah, not mushy either but just right. I check on the pasta when it is cooking frequently near the end of the cooking process too. Don't think that I will be throwing noodles at the wall though. :)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I believe you will appreciate this italian lady and her American husband-
I watched the entire video and found it to be very upbeat and informative. I have yet to attempt to make a homemade pizza but I intend to give it a try.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
they are a cute couple, I enjoy them greatly, I like to add olive oil to the dough to produce a great soft crust.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
they are a cute couple, I enjoy them greatly, I like to add olive oil to the dough to produce a great soft crust.
Adding olive oil to the dough would be a must. Yeah, they are a cute couple who obviously enjoy each other's company in the kitchen.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
there was a series where he takes her across America enjoying foods that was really fun!